[Spoilers] The Open World is Fundamentally Dissonant with the Plot

+
I want to preface this by saying I'm not writing this to say that NC shouldn't be immersive. If this is the story they wanted to tell, the game should've been entirely linear; if they wanted an immersive NC, the plot should've been different.

Watson before Act II was actually very cool, I thought. While it didn't have the random events or recreational activities I was hoping for, it still felt pretty dense and the missions, namely with the Maelstrom, felt like they had some dynamism. I thought it set the stage pretty well and was fun to run around in.

And then you get the chip. Before you can even get back to free roam, you are told something that you will be told several times throughout the main story: V is actively dying, and fast, and the nature of the death means the longer you wait, the worse the odds look. The best ripperdocs can do nothing for you, and you need something special. After this point, you can still take side gigs from fixers and raise your street cred, buy cars, and engage in what little recreation managed to make it into the final product. But there's always the background notion that everything I'm doing that isn't the main plot is allowing V to die, a little bit at a time. This urgency is going to compel a lot of people to complete the main story as quickly as possible, where you will be hit with an anti-twist: nobody can save you. V will ultimately die, whether at her own hand, to Johnny's control, or when Soulkiller fries her to make a copy that also goes on to die.

The game wants to have the fantasy of being an Edgerunner AND the drama of fighting for your life at the same time. The problem is, you aren't really in a position to take random jobs plot-wise, and with V dying in every ending meaning no post-game, you never will be.

Not really sure what I'm hoping to accomplish with this. Guess I just wanted to actualize what was bothering me so much about just hopping back into the game to do some more side content, and why any added features to NC will ring hollow in the end.

Glifu

Forum regular
Believe me, you are not alone in this. The whole thread about endings could be summarized in your words. The exactly same thing happened to me, when i sink into game neck deep, and rushed to solve problem with that "time bomb", to such finale, which left me hollow, and unable to get back to game.

False urgency MacGuffin.

It really does feel like we get 2 mediocre games in one.

One is Far Cry / The Division.

The other is Call of Duty 77.

Those games don't feel like they really care for each other, they live in the same house but don't talk and choose to politely go about their day without affecting the other.

It's weird.

Game estimates you could die in weeks, and apparently that translates into "side activates are immersion breaking"

What do you guys want exactly? on rails forcing you to do only main missions? a 90 day ingame timer or something?

Nice spoilers in the body though, i guess its fuck everybody else because your upset.

Nice spoilers in the body though, i guess its fuck everybody else because your upset.

The thread is marked as spoiler. It's on you for clicking on it.

Game estimates you could die in weeks, and apparently that translates into "side activates are immersion breaking"

What do you guys want exactly? on rails forcing you to do only main missions? a 90 day ingame timer or something?

"Show, don't tell". When the game tells you something in its story and it is blatantly false in regards to gameplay, it feels bad. Would I enjoy the game more if we were on a timer to complete it? Probably not; Would it be more in the spirit of the story they tried to tell? Yes.

There's no real commitment toward either making it a good story driven game or a good open world game. I agree with the OP, the game lives in this awkward situation where the games are two separate games. 'Cp77: Police & Scavage Hunt', and 'CP77: Johnny Silverhand's Wild Ride'. They could, and perhaps should, have been different games.

I mean, I said it in the second sentence. Yes, if this is the story they wanted to tell, it should've been a linear game.

Nefla

Forum regular

Yes it does. If you're rapidly dying and there is no conventional way to save you and the only way you can think of is doing these special things (story missions) you're not going to ignore the things that may save your life to dick around scanning tarot cards or drag racing or whatever. You're going to do everything you can to save yourself. Nobody is asking to not be able to do side missions, the complaint is the story is set up in such a way that doing those side missions is contradictory to the main story. It shouldn't have been made like this in the first place.

Top Bottom