+

(SPOILERS) The War

• Nilfgaard

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Northern Kingdoms

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
(SPOILERS) The War

Hi everyone :) I wanted to know which side do you think will win the conflict? Nilfgaard or the northern Kingdoms. Will Geralt's actions change the tide of the war ? What do you think :cheers:

Last edited:
Nilfgaard.

Bigger empire, bigger army and better organization. Nilfgaard was preparing for this war for years, while the North was busy fighting each other or inner conflicts.

So far the North was always lucky to have some support by the Brotherhood of Sorcerers (or by other relationships), but i doubt they will help them this time, since the sorcerers are quite screwed at the end of Witcher 2 (well, depending how you decided more or less screwed).

I also don't think Geralt will have direct influence on the outcome of the whole war, Geralt won't be able to convince Emhyr to anything and even though Geralt is a great fighter, he doesn't make up an army and his political skills are miserable at best :)

I would even say that without the Wild Hunt Nilfgaard would have already won this war, so i think the Wild Hunt and Ciri will be the key role to this war.

However, Nilfgaard had recently lost a large part of it's high command, and also the military support of nonhumans.

There's also the Kingdom of Kovir and Poviss to think about, we'll see if they're gonna show even more support to the Northern Kingdoms, other than just funding the Redanian cavalry like the last time.

You'd think that they would support Nilfgaard due to being trade partners, but I'm pretty sure that they would prefer to keep a status quo.

Even if the North manages to make a third miracle happen and actually hold off the Nilfies, Nilfgaard will eventually win with trade, it is inevitable, whether it is by conquest or trade, the North will fall.

Bloede Nordling scum!

Northern Kingdoms are not the same after all the regicides, so unless they unite again, and with all the races, against Nilfgaard Empire I cannot see any chance of victory for them.

If the two side battle, Nilfgaard will win. (bigger army and enough resources to support it)

If I had to side with a faction who should win, Nilfgaard. The Northern Kingdoms will and always have been at war with each other and sure Nilfgaard might be a bit harsh with it's rules and protocols but in the end the northern kingdoms will benefit from them. Especially if they get governors who are as kind as the Nilfgaardian officer from the 15 min gameplay preview.

I think Radovid and Henselt can hold off Nilfgaard. Temeria and Aedirn are utterly screwed, though.
Henselt got beaten by some elves and dwarves huddled together in one town, I don't think he will fare any better against Nilfgaard in the open.
Radovid and Redania have the biggest army standing in the north I believe. (not counting Povis and Kovir since they are neutral.) So he should be the only one to actually give Nilfgaard some pushback.

Last edited:
I don't think that's necessarily true. Nilfgaard's always had the bigger army and more resources (recall Dijkstra practically begging for money from Kovir, just so that the North can stand a chance.)

With Temeria and Aedirn pretty much conquered, the rich, neutral Kingdoms to the far North are probably going to be more interested in aiding Kaedwen and Redenia - the last pieces of land that stand between them and the Empire. Let's not forget that Nilfgaard also lacks the support of the Scoia'tael this time around, after the betrayal from the last war. Skellige's also still alive and kicking, and they're a force to be reckoned with, one that can always outflank the Nilfgaardian army.

Finally, if you allow Henselt and Radovid to play their cards right at the end of TW2, they'll be stronger than ever, and willing to aid eachother. I think the result of this war is far from obvious.

Henselt got beaten by some elves and dwarves huddled together in one town

Not in my playthrough.

Last edited:
I won't trust Henselt so much though.

As greedy as Henselt is, I think even he can see the threat that Nilfgaard poses. If you recall, Shilard's reports to the Emperor indicated that negotiations with Henselt had failed, resulting in the attempt on his life by the Kingslayers afterwards.

So, trust? No, but I think Radovid's better than that anyway. I do believe, however, that Henselt recognises the threat and won't try anything too stupid.

Last edited:
Well I wonder if Kovir and Povis stay neutral, I mean once Nilfgaard has conquered the northern kingdoms what's to keep them from going that little bit further north?
So I think you're right @ReptilePZ they should back Radovid. (ancestral ties and that)

Well I wonder if Kovir and Povis stay neutral, I mean once Nilfgaard has conquered the northern kingdoms what's to keep them from going that little bit further north?
So I think you're right @ReptilePZ they should back Radovid. (ancestral ties and that)

I imagine that they would. They didn't seem too keen on the idea of Nilfgaard winning during the last war either.

Anothier thing that I forgot to mention - Nilfgaard would have to ford the Pontar/Dyfne to continue the campaign, so Kaedwen (if Henselt has Upper Aedirn, otherwise it's on Saskia/Stennis) and Redania have the better position as defenders.

Last edited:

They cannot risk Nilfgaard winning the war, but they can't openly declare support for the Northern Kingdoms either, as their trade will be heavily affected, I guess something similar to what good old Esterad did to support the north in the books will happen again in a different way, but Kovir and Poviss will definitely support the North, they have to.

Well, unless something extraordinary happens or some unexpected factor/player comes into play, Nilfgaard is far more likely to win than the northern kingdoms

Stuff favoring Nilfgaard:
- Larger army than all of the north combined and they can most likely take a few setbacks, because they have reserves, while the north has to put all cards on the table from the get go.
- Beforementioned army is also superbly equipped and trained, as in professional soldiery, and this standing army has the logistics necessary to actually get into the fight without losing 2/3rds of it´s soldiers to starvation
- The north is not united, the only really strong alliance is either, depending on your choices in TW2: Redania and Temeria if Temeria gets under Radovids thump. Or Redania and Keadwen if Henselt wins Upper Aedirn and forges an alliance with Radovid. These alliances can only muster about a third of the military strength of Nilfgaard and this only if they go "all in", all cards on the table, Win or Die... And then there is the issue of northern monarchs just surrendering without a fight, like all the now client kingdoms in the south.
- Nilfgaard is a relatively stable society with a centralized government and, except the many client kingdoms, the entire army belongs to Emhyr, unlike in the north where half the army is loyal to the various lords and dukes. The only exception is Redania, because Radovid has curbed the "rights" of the nobility and centralized the Kingdom, which is why Redania will be leading the fight against Nilfgaard.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Things potentially favoring the Northern Kingdoms:
- They are the defenders and are fighting on home ground, thus they will have an easier time supplying their armies.
- The Lodge of Sorceresses if Radovid doesen´t butcher them. Magic is one of the "unexpected factors" mentioned before...
- Disease might affect the Nilfgaardians, throwing the entire operation in jeopardy.
- The Wild Hunt could be a factor in the upcoming war...
- Lastly, Geralt is not a fan of Nilfgaard, but then again, he also recognises that stability is preferable to chaos, even if it comes at a price.

Sorry for my over extensive strategic military historical analysis, it´s kind of my thing :p

Last edited:
I think you overestimate Nilfgaard's stability. It has its own sorceresses colluding with the Lodge, nobles planning a coup against Emhyr etc. And they lost the last two wars - morale and trust in Emhyr's competence is no doubt shaken.

As for the size of the army, the difference really isn't of that much significance, you simply need a bigger army if you're invading - they're fighting on several fronts, the Temerian/Aedirnian forces, as indicated by the peasants in the recent gameplay demo, have fled North, likely to bolster the ranks of Redania/Kaedwen. They can not rely on surprise to cross the Pontar/Dyfne like they did with the Yaruga during the initial assault either.

Depending on player choices, the North can end up being quite united as well. In terms of equipment, there aren't really any significant differences between the two sides. All in all, I'd say it's a relatively even situation.

Last edited:
What could happen if some allies countries and nilfgaarians nobles discover the Emperor was liying about the Queen of Cintra? With how much economic support might Emhyr count upon?

What could happen if some allies countries and nilfgaarians nobles discover the Emperor was liying about the Queen of Cintra? With how much economic support might Emhyr count upon?

I don't know why but i have a feeling something bad will happen to Emhyr. Nilfgaard might lose the war from the inside. From betrayal or something like that

I don't know why but i have a feeling something bad will happen to Emhyr. Nilfgaard might lose the war from the inside. From betrayal or something like that

I'd be surprised of that. At least, why did Emhyr used a faulse Cirila if it's not to gain power and stability?

Nilfgaard looks like professional state - great empire, big army, strict laws..

..but..

nothing is certain ;-)

When great Holy Roman Empire sent their army during crusaders to defeat rebel peasants in Bohemia, many people probably though they can not loose. But armies of great empire were defeated several times .. I don't want to talk about preparations and experience of both empires, but I would like to show how result can be totally different from expectations.

And few reasons why Northern kingdoms have solid chance..

First and main reason - they are defending their homelands - even when you can't measure it or express it by some accurate indicator, I think nobody doubts about this argument. It wasn't just strategic move which resulted in victory of Hussites or cold weather, which caused defeat of Germany in Russia..

Other reasons
Scoia'tael - I know it's very difficult with them, but their actions could cause real damage to Northern kingdoms - if this strategy would be used on Nilfgaard, it would be great. (I know about conflicts between kings and non-humans, but there is still chance for some deal - I don't think older races like Nilfgaard so much and dryads and other warriors can join war for 1st reason..

Mages - they decided result of first war directly and result of second war secretly ;-) I know about Philippa's words and about their possible troubles with position, but everything can be different. Kings are arrogant swellheads, but in case of war, they are not naive.

Wild hunt - can decide much ... I know it's not presumable they would join kings in war :) ) but they can run across some army (Nilf.army, for example ;-) )

Assassins - CDPR said one witcher can't determine it, but on the other hand they showed us in previous game, he nearly can ... so what is right? If one witcher can murder several kings, I think there can be chance to murder one emperor. Geralt is close ... :devil: just one hidden blade or Ciri in bad mood ;-) ... I know there is some image of immortal Emperor with great personal guards etc, but nothing is perfect and there is always a chance..
It's been a long time, but I think in books is described his end - and it's not natural death

Last edited:
Top Bottom