(SPOILERS) The War

+

(SPOILERS) The War

• Nilfgaard

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • Northern Kingdoms

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
Nilfgaard seems to have more chances of winning, was able to organize the war and exploit the internal conflicts of the Northern Kingdoms. The only option for them is to put aside their divisions and stay unite against Nilfgaard.
But many things can happen during a war that can change the course, so let's see what happens!

I can't vote simply because I think that this will depend on Geralt's actions - who he will choose to support on Skellige (pro- or anti-Nilfgaard) (as we already know from previous info), and other stuff we don't know yet. Some world end states will be with Nilfgaard conquering the Northern kingdoms, others - with the North winning again.

As about the lore in the books, it seems that Nilfgaard eventually conquered the Northern Kingdoms.

Last edited:
So, in what way did Geralt influence the outcome of the 2nd war?

I know there was that battle near Jaruga, where he was knighted, but besides that?

The war kinda happened somewhere else without him, while he was on a journey to find his princess(es) in another castle.

Maybe I wrong, but I guess that @new&improved_vivaxardas mean that the all depend about what the Wild Hunt will do, which will depend what will Ciri do, which will depend what will Geralt act about her....

So, perhaps, all could depend of Geralt ;)

That sounds awfully like a hero to save the world cliché :)

But i get what you mean and i would rather have it like that, but indirectly and not "choose pro or contra Nilfgaard choice".

Really simple example: Geralt fights the Wild Hunt to "save" Ciri or so and wins, but by defeating the Wild Hunt Nilfgaard will get the upper hand, because the Wild Hunt isn't preventing their advance anymore and they defeat the North.
So Geralt decided on something personal, but it has a politcal consequence, which he didn't see coming (although in this example it is quite predictable...).

That's why i asked, what did Geralt do to influence the last war? Unless my brain is failing me, he didn't do much to change the outcome of the war. The only battle he "fought for the North" was at Jaruga and that was only because he was just nearby and forced to fight.

That sounds awfully like a hero to save the world cliché
Exactly! We have always seen Geralt as some guy that's struggling to find his loved one during times of war etc etc. Just some random guy. I can't see how his decisions can change the tide of the war.

Well, they might, but as Kallelinski said, if so it should be indirect. The butterfly flapping its wings and causing a hurricane thousands of miles away. Which means that, at least on your first playthrough, you'd have no idea that a decision you made has such a large impact. But there should never be anything as heroic as "Because Geralt sides with Team X, Team X wins the war".

In fact, I'd probably find it more interesting if we get "Because Geralt sides with Team X, Team X loses the war".

Well, as far as I remember, Geralt will have a say in who rules Skellige, and it should be pretty obvious which candidate is pro-Nilfgaardian, and which is ani-Nilfgaardian. Also, as I remember from previous info, the war stalled, with no side able to win for a time being. So, it may be that Skellige supporting one side will be one of the decisive factors. It does look obvious, though, but I hope it is just one of necessary factors, and the rest are somewhat unpredictable from the get go.

In any case, I thought it was kind of super-crystal-clear that Geralt's actions will eventually determine the outcome of this war. So I was surprised that this question was even asked.

Last edited:
But how important is Skellige in the whole war, if they can "only" control the sea, but the main battles are fought on ground?

Assuming the Skellige Islands don't have much farm land, they have to fish a lot or trade with the mainland to get enough food, but right now the North has better things to do than farming, especially if their farm land is burning. So maybe this will even result in negotiations with Nilfgaard, because they can't provide enough food for their own people anymore. Supporting the pro or contra person would only result in different approaches how to solve that problem.

A pro-Nilfgaard person would of course negotiate terms with them and maybe stay neutral in the whole war or even support Nilfgaard with ships in exchange for becoming a vassal of Nilfgaard.

A contra-Nilfgaard person wouldn't negotiate with them at all, but the food problem would cause an inner conflict, which would weaken Skellige from the inside, maybe even so much that they don't have the ressources anymore to effectively go to war and staying out of the conflict for now.

Sure, that was just an imagined scenario most likely with some flaws, but i thought Geralt isn't a shepard and have to find new allies to fight the big evil :)

I didn't read much relevent story elements so far, i usually skip the parts, if the article starts to describe too much, but how is the stance of Skellige so far? They didn't appear to be in war with anyone so far, so they are still neutral?

And i have forgotten how Skellige behaved in the last war, did they fight against Nilfgaard or did they stay out of it?

It seems that the Northern Kingdoms never learn the lesson, don't them?

Attachments

• resized_winter-is-coming-meme-generator-the-north-remembers-but-then-don-t-seem-to-learn-fd111f.jpg
    resized_winter-is-coming-meme-generator-the-north-remembers-but-then-don-t-seem-to-learn-fd111f.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
And then humanity suffers an attack of amnesia, until the next peril and need.... That's doesn't mean To Learn....

As long as people like King Henselt live, the same thing will happen :p When there's an outer danger he will join the others and become a good guy, but when the peril has gone away he becomes once more the same old greedy bastard he is. It's something people like him cannot learn. It's in their nature.

So, in what way did Geralt influence the outcome of the 2nd war?

I know there was that battle near Jaruga, where he was knighted, but besides that?
If I remember correctly, he also warned one military camp of nilfgaardian raiders :)

But that is just possible answer on your question, in fact I don't remember how far that infuenced war.

Last edited:
Top Bottom