[Spoilers] What's your Opinion on Blood and Wine?

+
Excellent overall. Here's my personal run down:

Pros:
- very well designed and beautiful new region.

- engaging plot. Easily the most urgently paced narrative I've played in the series.

- quality side quests, as usual.

- Regis. He's done right.

- the ending after the conclusion, the part where we can just be a witcher, with no save the world narrative? Beautiful.

- Corvo Bianco was a brilliant idea, if only for story's sake. It make so much sense.

- the new mutagen tree is overly expensive, but it does change gameplay drastically.

Cons:
- We needed more changes to combat. CDPR refused to take a risk on this front.

- the narrative breaks down toward the end. Motivations from Syanna and Dettlaff don't make much sense. The plotting sophistication of TW2 or HoS just isn't there.

- hand holding is everywhere. Geralt or the UI tell you what to do. Always. Am I the only one pointing out that we play as a detective but CDPR never creates scenarios where we actually have to figure stuff out?

Last edited:
I would be a happy camper to not be afraid of opening the inventory now. The ingredients tab can take 2-3 seconds and then another few seconds to sort. Awful, awful lag. Forget about saving stuff. The more you have the longer it takes. CDPR has been excellent at fixing bugs. Let's hope they fix this before they close Witcher III out completely. It's not game-breaking, but it's pretty close.

hearts of stone > blood and wine.

Too much effort doing the new map. worse story and quest. You can't fail with a story about vampires and witchers!!!!!

Just well done to the team
View attachment 59191
I heard a rumor about a possible bad guy returning depending on the choice you made before, worth an eleventh complete playtrough to find out :)

Attachments

• witcher3 2016-06-30 03-18-53-402.jpg
    witcher3 2016-06-30 03-18-53-402.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 194
I stated this before, but I was wondering what others thought. Regis was turned into a bloody smear on the ground. We know this, it was stated. And if I recall he said he would have died of it hadn't been for Dettlaff. So I imagine if the entire body of a higher vampire is destroyed it won't regenerate. So if Geralt used Ignition on Dettlaff's body long enough he would not be able to regenerate.

in terms of new content, blood and wine's extra mutagen slots and effects add a lot more than the crappy runewright.

but in terms of story, HoS has it beat hands down. there's not a lot of character development, heck if you play through the vampire option there is no character development.

the random fling with Syanna feels really forced.

I heard a rumor about a possible bad guy returning depending on the choice you made before, worth an eleventh complete playtrough to find out :)
Who would that rumor be about?

My first impression of B&W was:

Excellent.

Might post more after some replays. :)

After the patch 1.22, my Skillege's most wanted quest got kaput, again. Some of my friends are getting the same issue. The default health bar on the werewolf disappears. And then he just refuses to die. I wanna know how to go around this quest

Skimmed a couple of posts here. Quite frankly, I can't believe how disappointed people are with Blood and Wine. I absolutely loved everything about it. The sidequests were all a blast and the humour in them had me laughing at quite a few points. It was awesome to have Regis back, but I would've liked to have had more of a chance to talk with him at length. Toussaint was absolutely beautiful, so much so that I almost never used fast travel or my horse. The main story was interesting, albeit a little short. Mutations and armour dyes were both welcome features. Overall, I felt like I got so much more out of it than Hearts of Stone, really.

Alright. I've finished my 1.75th time through B+W last night, watched all 3 endings each time (just one with natural dialogue choices and Yen; and the other with antagonistic dialogue choices and Dandelion in the end - I didn't do everything the second time around).

I like BaW. I like it a lot.

After some time in Touissant, I simply cannot return to the vanilla areas anymore, because Touissant had hooked me up completely. Also, on my destructive way throughout vanilla until I was ready for Touissant, I felt longing about getting down south. But of course, that might have been also related to the destructive nature of my choices in vanilla/HoS - I really wanted Dandelion there, so I had to treat Yen and Ciri like a total jerk; and added other worst behaviours ever in other quests. Quite unbearable. However, I did feel longing for Touissant, which indicates that it is really good.

I am particularly fond of the 3 endings of BaW. In all of them, someone gets the shaft; there is no ending that is happy for everyone. This is very, very lovely game design, because it makes the choices less obvious.

I liked the parallels to the short stories and to the tv series a lot; I liked the GoT references; Beauclair is very stunningly designed; the new NPC faces look extremely well. Anrietta was regal but not dislikeably so (which is an astonishing accomplishment). Both the wonderland and the Elder's cave are fabulous. I love the feeling of dread that I always ended up with, because of Orianna and that Elder still around. The paperchase is simply hilarious. The fistfighting encounters were brilliant - I didn't know that it was possible to top the Olaf encounter, but BaW managed to top them so much.

During the Iocaste quest, I had very early a feeling of "hey... so this is the local Villemtretenmerth-alike?", and then the Crinfried Reavers appeared to underline the similarity. I loved it. :)

I love it that the merchants have good amounts of money. I love it that you can simply buy the missing superior formulae instead of growing insane on the hunt for that last missing superior oil. I love the little stories of the grandmaster gear sets. I loved the hanse quests-without-questlogs and their little stories.

Some dislikes or mixed feelings I have though:

- end of world before the interesting two cliffsides in the east
- end of world before Mount Gorgon ... I would love to climb both. Yes, there will be mods who fix it, but still.
- end of world outside of that druid forest island thing in the northeast.

- that hood on the feline armor. Just whyyyyyyy did you have to do that. :(

- Archespores are both "yay they're back" and "omg no". I probably just haven't figured out the way to deal them without having to dope up to 100% toxicity and almost dieing all the time anyway, but right now, they're more dangerous to me than an encounter with an upset Dettlaff.

- Skellige gwent deck feels a bit too overpowered. I played quite a bit with it against B.B. and the winning ratio is even higher than my allaround powerful Nilfgard deck, which I sort of avoid normally because it's too powerful. And I don't particularly like playing overpowered decks. Then again, because of the Monnier Tournament, it HAS to be overpowered so that the player has a chance to win all these matches without opportunity to save in between... yeah well.

- I feel that there have been created some lore problems with the "only a higher vampire can kill a higher vampire". This saying means that either Hubert Reijk in Carnal Sins lied (he is, in fact, not a higher vampire), or that he's now regenerating (that would explain the continued occurence of the Concerned Citizen Sermons). Then again, he was in bestial form nothing like Regis or Dettlaff's bestial forms. Didn't he even drop a lowly Katakan mutagen? I need to check this. But it feels like a lore inconsistency.

- Speaking of lore problems, there's the A Night to Remember trailer in conflict with the ingame Orianna. Trailer Orianna seemed to be an ordinary bruxa and could be killed. Ingame Orianna is most definitely not a simple bruxa. So, one of them is wrong.

- too much clutter. I always pick up everything. Was it really necessary to have like 80 different kinds of junk items and a billion types of food? And the clutter makes the ingredients/crafting materials tab laggy.

- Green Gold is a bit too rare; mostly considering the uber-completionists who want all sets of grandmaster gear.

Anyway, I loved BaW. Thank you CDPR for this lovely addition to an already lovely game. :)

Last edited:
I find it really odd that you can only find Dyes in Toussaint. I mean think about it. If you go around Novigrad, and go to the Southern Gate and go around that little island area that is a bit south of the Fast Travel sign you will come across peasants at a dye making place. They are making Dyes. So finding Dyes only in Toussaint is a plot hole.

First I had doubts. Blood and Wine sounded actually a bit boring and HoS left me depressed, since its story was so tragic (but well done, nonetheless). Then I finally entered Touissant... and I was blown away by the beauty and loveliness. In Novigrad it felt a bit tedious being able to enter most buildings. Here I wanted to and was disappointed that I couldn't enter every house. They look so neat.

New soundtrack caught me immediately. All was fine and got even better and more entertaining, even if more PG rated as I felt, the dreadful world of Geralt was gone, as I thought. But it was fitting the fairytale and knight's theme. And then the palace... my god, I watched the screen like I did when visitting Neuschwanstein back then.

And on top of that I can have my own vineyard. If I had the money I would rebuild that estate and live there. The looks win in every aspect. The villain made me mad. To get particular visitors I had to act like I did not want regarding the villains punishment. That sucked.

The land of a thousand fairytales is just gold. The girl selling flints is badass and deserves her own game. Then implementing 'A Night To Remember' into this is brilliant. That all made up for some minor flaws. The expansion is worth the title 'expansion', it is again rich on details, characters and character development, items + upgrades so it does not get boring.

Now by having a house I want to play Witcher 3 version of SIMS. Best game there is.

Negatives:
Seriously annoying things are knockback attacks by Archespors, Bruxae, Garkains, Fledders, Kikimores and Centipedes. So frustrating. This game suffers from the same problem every action RPG suffers at highest diffulty. You are more focused on evading and defending than attacking and smash face. That is dragging every fight. Again the spinning attack of Geralt is more impeding combat than it is useful. You need too much time hitting mobs, especially, when on DM you need every little time window there is. Clear and straightforward hits are in his repertoire, just cut out the silly spinning attack. make it a simple Spring Attack.

I had many occasions in which the thrust with the sword tip and the straight swing were needed but Geralt decided to spin and either got hit or died. If I could have control over my sword moves I would be happy. I did many cool moves and wished I could just recreate that situation and move, but it was never possible.

For instance, I was circled by 6 bandits and attacked the nearest target. Due to camera angle Geralt made a dodge roll forward and thrusted one then rolled to the opposite enemy and thrusted him, the 23rd swing hit a guy in front of him evading 2 hits from behind, wow that looked cool, but I had no control, I just hit the fast attack button + direction.

Then difficulty spikes. Before playing on NG+ and in Touissant I thought pack mobs were the worst... now I have to say that these are even harder in Touissant and the bat attack of the endboss is just OP. There should be more balance. One shot attacks within a multiphase endfight and you have to start after death from the very beginning is annoying. One step to more balance was absolute control over your attack moves. The endboss of the base game was too easy, now the endboss seems to OP in phase 2. And Kikimores made me almost eat my controller in anger.

Without superior Golden Oriole Archespores are not balanced. I don't know if that was intentional but the micro management of potions in Touissant is annoying. I have to use main inventory panel to change potions inmidst of a fight, while we could easily have more than 2 quick slots, I think. Also, let us put decoctions, potions and oils we don't use in our stash.

Last edited:
I don't have a lot to comment because I loved pretty much everything about the Blood and Wine expansion. The entire map itself is a beautiful respite from the dark, dismal Novigrad/Velen map with surprises everywhere you look. The story is really well-written and interesting, and introduces you to some awesome characters (my favourite is probably the duchess). The new mutation system is really cool. The new horse armour looks super pretty. The estate Geralt gets is almost perfect (the idea of it is absolutely perfect).

I don't have much else to say, though, because I really did enjoy almost everything.

That being said, there are very few things I would have liked to be different, and I'll put them here.

- I really wanted to see the duchess's sister after the story finished. I look around for her but she wasn't anywhere to be found. I didn't let her die, or I don't think I did, so I freaked out a little when the duchess just stood all alone and greeted me normally with no comment about her sister. Even if the sister just stood there next to the duchess and gave one-liners I would have been happy.

- Owning and customizing the estate was absolutely awesome, but I wish I could have been able to do a little more with it. As in, changing how it looks in small ways, hiring servants, smiths, barbers, etc., and maybe even being able to plant herbs of choice in the garden. I also expected to find more in the cellar.

- I've forgotten what those bases are where there are loads of bandits and one of them runs to call more to fight you, but I really enjoyed conquering them. I would have liked it if there were more than the few.

- I was definitely hoping to be able to romance the duchess.

- I was overjoyed when Triss arrived a the estate. She had a few interesting lines but then it was over. I wanted to be able to sleep with her and see her walking around and exploring. Also, I felt pretty bad about leaving her lying there after she said I had to come back quickly. There just wasn't much else I could do with her after reading those few lines, though, so she still lies there alone to this day.

- I wanted to be able to go back to the fairy tale land from Beyond Hill and Dale. That place was so cool! Also, all of the nice stuff I collected there (golden poop and eggs, to name two of the items) disappeared as soon as I got back to the "real world." I don't know if that was supposed to happen, but it was quite sad! It didn't seem like it was necessary to the story for a return trip to be impossible.

And that's about it! The rest was wonderful. I mean, I would have liked to see more Ciri, but that's another topic for another day :)

I wish I could personally thank everyone involved in making the expansion!!

Step down after Hearts of Stone story wise. Several major quests were outright trite and predictable (especially Vivienne's). The 4th wall breaking ending and epilogue dialogue with Yen/Triss/Ciri etc was actually outright terrible, first time I've seen it from CDPR. Loved the new mechanics and the vampire fights though and the quests, while predictable, were still usually pretty fun.

7/10.

Almost perfect

Ok finished B&W, time for the feedback:

AMAZING!!! Loved the musics, the quests, the storyline, the characters, the scenery, the battles, the food, Gwynt, the estate, Roach .... everything :D

Now the very few things I'm disapointed with:

-The romance is.... 2/10 when Keira or Shani romance are 8/10 (and the three are very close in time/effort put in).....
In B&W Even the prostitute who talks about guys roleplaying Witchers sounds better to me than how Syanna's romance is handled.... Sorry too much to say about it, need a full thread dedicated to elaborate on this .

-No romance/flirting with the Duchess.
Ok this one doesn't make sense AT ALL: The Duchess tear appart her dress, ask Geralt to not being formal anymore when they go investigate, is alone with Geralt with plenty of amazing wine around, is drop dead gorgeous at the party and complimenting Geralt and even saying out loud she don't mind being painted nude and NOTHING. Not a word, not a try, no flirting, no charming, nothing, at all, from Geralt!? HOW!?! Is he getting that old?
Even If you're too short budget/time wise to do a romance with her a few words or anything from Geralt would have do the job. Instead we have a thousand of missed opportunities and the main character who need to have the bitchy (murderer) sister in front of him asking "for a man" to do something (oh wait no, sorry my bad, to let HER do something)..... What a wimp.

-As far as I know only one of Triss/Yen/Ciri/Dandelion drop by your house at the end.
It's very sweet, thank you for that I like it a lot but not seeing any other is frustrating. It's even awkward like when Dandelion came to rescue you from the jail he doesn't take time to come to your house if you had any good ending in the main game.

-No Saskia/Iorveth T_T

-Chivalry tournemant too short (yes I know it's only a side quest XD). Also a serious opponent (maybe someone from the main game) who challenge you from the start to the end is missing

-Every single vigneyard and spot on this map have issues with monsters, bandits, curses, cows falling from the sky but not your house? Why?
Any quest from any random location on the map could have been 10 times better if relocated at Corvo Bianco.

Overall and despite the few flaws B&W is easily a 11/10 (could have been a 19/10 with less missed opportunities). My favorite add on for my favorite game so far. Thank you so much for all the work and love you put in your game. I can't wait for your next AAA game and wish I could share a bottle of that "White Wolf" wine with you guys ;)

Two words: LOVED IT! Touissant is beautiful, the story and the characters are interesting, and I loved all the nods and hints to the previous Witcher adventures even if I haven't played the first game or read the books (I know, I know, I'm working on it!) A home with display stands for your swords and armor? Epic. I love putting the different Witcher school's gear sets on display. A new Skellige Gwent deck? Awesome. I was confused from day one that there wasn't a Skellige deck. Grandmaster Witcher Gear Sets and the new Manticor school set? FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! Dyes for your gear? Great idea. And I LOVE me some vampires! I wish there had been a dragon but I understand. And I still don't know what a zugel is and Geralt brings it up more than once, fighting a zugel waist deep in sewage. But these aren't complaints. I could make this post three times the length listing all the little things like no romance with the Duchess and no visits from all of Geralt's friends to his new house and so on. But I only have one real complaint: the Grandmaster Witcher gear. There should not ever be any gear or weaponry that is stronger than the Grandmaster Witcher sets, with the obvious exception of the Lady of the Lake's sword and similar legendary pieces. But even with that little faux-pas, I'm still giving Blood and Wine 10 out of 10 and The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt 11 out of 10!

Last edited:
I loved the expansion pack. It is 10/10 for me, plus i loved the whole game and it is heart gripping that it has come to an end. It was the best game i have ever played and will be it. So many nice and awesome moments so many tears, joy this game gave to me.
If I could have a request, I wish I could speak more with Triss after the end of the game and maybe Triss could have more dialogue options and stuff.
Would be nice to see some more Triss in the new patch if there will be any.
Anyways, I wish ye good life developers
Fare thee well

Top Bottom