[Spoilers] Where is the punchline?

+
There are other Corpos who would pay big money for a chip like that. Evelyn's plan was simply to make money out of it and leave behind the prostitution life. Militech comes to mind for one. Or the chinese corpo, they are actually hiding Hellman after he warned Saboru.

Also discussing this doesn't address what is the punchline in the end of the game?

Yep, not really relevant :)

But corpos wouldn't need to buy the chip off Evelyn. They could have some victim pay for the "Save your soul" program (the version of it when you remain alive after the procedure) and get it "legally" from Arasaka. A cleaner way, it seems (if they're interested in the technology behind it, I mean).

Yep, not really relevant :)

But corpos wouldn't need to buy the chip off Evelyn. They could have some victim pay for the "Save your soul" program (the version of it when you remain alive after the procedure) and get it "legally" from Arasaka. A cleaner way, it seems (if they're interested in the technology behind it, I mean).
I am pretty sure Arasaka does a full background scan on those who get the treatment. Also in game the resurrection part of the program is not widely available yet, only the uploading to the mikoshi.

I am pretty sure Arasaka does a full background scan on those who get the treatment. Also in game the resurrection part of the program is not widely available yet, only the uploading to the mikoshi.
I personally would build the chip in a way it can't be removed from the body after implementation.

Best way to protect your product.

I personally would build the chip in a way it can't be removed from the body after implementation.

Actually on that note, we are talking about two different chips. The one that Arasaka is advertising wasn't a resurrection one. It was only meant to make people see their dead relatives.

The one we steal was a secet inside project which ofc makes it so much more valuable for the competition.

Actually on that note, we are talking about two different chips. The one that Arasaka is advertising wasn't a resurrection one. It was only meant to make people see their dead relatives.

The one we steal was a secet inside project which ofc makes it so much more valuable for the competition.
I was talking about 2.0

Lots of things don't add up.

You're planning an epic heist. Knowing Yorinobu's agenda is simply a must. Probably, T-Bug shouldn't be the only netrunner since the mission entirely depends on her. Evelyn doesn't even know why she needs the chip, let alone that they NEED a technician if something goes wrong with it. So yep, not a professional approach :shrug:

Yorinobu was not head of Arasaka at the time... T-Bug had no way knowing she would be going against Soulkiller, she was more than capable taking out the dweller Kompeki Plaza had.

And as Evelyn said - what Yorinobu planned didnt matter, because if it wasnt for Saburo coming, they would be long gone with the chip and Yorinobu would be unable to find what actually happened... (He did not have Arasaka resources behind him)
Post automatically merged:

There are other Corpos who would pay big money for a chip like that. Evelyn's plan was simply to make money out of it and leave behind the prostitution life. Militech comes to mind for one. Or the chinese corpo, they are actually hiding Hellman after he warned Saboru.

I don't consider this a plothole. She was naive yes. She thought Cloud's security could protect her from the VBs, but she was wrong. If the heist was so impossible then Dex wouldn't have gotten involved in the first place.

By the narrative V and Jackie can be considered amateurs, but that is only because the game did a bad job at showing us how many gigs and experince are behind them. The way they pulled off the heist was pretty darn planned out.
If not the for the unexpected visit, they could have easily gotten out. Probably still could have had an easier time to get out if the old man wasn't offed there.

Besides, with he bugged quest marker we know that there was a path to escape via the roof by stealing a flying car. We don't know how that would have gone, but the way it is atm, the heist is simply ended the way it did so we get Jhonny in our heads.

Also discussing this doesn't address what is the punchline in the end of the game?

Amateurs who manage to escape Kompeki Plaza full of security personnel???

Dex was the biggest fuckup in the heist, what's the point of a fixer if he doesn't even properly screen the client and have contingency plans.
V and Jackie were pretty green so I can excuse them, V can even tell Jackie that they're not the type of mercs to be picked by Dex.

And it would explain V's problem well enough, no need to be shot by Dex (although I'd like to think it was just clinical death).

Another simple option would be to say that the chip's case was damaged, that's where all the possible malfunctions can come from.

Dex was the biggest fuckup in the heist, what's the point of a fixer if he doesn't even properly screen the client and have contingency plans.
V and Jackie were pretty green so I can excuse them, V can even tell Jackie that they're not the type of mercs to be picked by Dex.
I didn't watch any promo material before I got the game. But the moment I got into his car and saw that pimp I knew Dex was probably going to be trouble and not someone I would trust.

Another simple option would be to say that the chip's case was damaged, that's where all the possible malfunctions can come from.
If I remember correctly, Vic says that the bullet damaged chip, chipslot and brain. And Hellman says that this unique combination surprisingly made the chip work in the first place.

What I also wondered all the time is, how many chip slots does the average person have in CP? I mean, the relic is is stuck in Vs damaged slot and despite that (s)he is slotting other shards all the time.

The heist was a perfect way to introduce Johnny though :) I loved very single detail from the random ads and emails leading to it, with no one telling you that this "save your soul" mess is going to hit you in particular.

And then it turns out that no one cares about his narcissistic 'soul' on a chip, it's Alt who matters. This was fun!
Post automatically merged:

Well, we don't even know why Evelyn would need the chip. Apparently, even the Netwatch decided to just buy it rather than find a fixer and steal it.

And in terms of foreseeing things, in one of the final mission alternatives Johnny gets Alt to blow up a space station, so that Arasaka's guards can't contact each other. That's good planning.
The VDB want the chip because they want to prepare for life when the blackwall inevitably falls and the chip can help them get in touch with an AI (Alt) that they think can help them. They hired Evelyn to get it for them because (I think) she happened to be Yorinobu's joytoy.

Basically none of it has to do with you. You're a bystander caught up in events of other people and things.

The other thing I'll note is that (unknown to me until recently) this game is not an original IP by CDPR. It's based on an old 80's pen and paper roleplaying game and all the characters, lore, places, gangs, corps and such come from there and there is a LOT of backstory that we don't get in game or is barely hinted at. People familiar with the original game get a lot more out of this game.

That part definitely felt rushed to me

I wasn't bothered by it because Dex wasn't really shown to be a good fixer to begin with.

We know four things before the heist:
1. Jackie thinks Dex is some kind of big shot (Jackie is hyped af about entering the big leagues so his judgement is clouded)
2. Dex messed with the Voodoo Boys and had to go into hiding for a time (Streetkid V)
3. He's way less chill than he presents himself to be (Vic)
4. He's never shot a gun in his life (the ingame character database)

This points to Dex's reputation being bigger than his actual skills, nobody knows much about him except for T-Bug, and she never shares.
He knew that the Voodoo boys were involved in the heist ("Folks from Pacifica told me to let it go") and ignored it, which makes it seem like he had a personal beef with them and continued with the heist out of spite or was desperate to get back into the game after being away from the Afterlife for such a long time. This led him to underestimate the dangers of the heist and underplan things. Would explain why he picked V and Jackie alongside T-Bug, young green mercs who didn't know him well.
He's also canonically a terrible shot and V's the proof of that. And he was played by Tamekura, who's not exactly a mastermind (sorry Goro).

I wasn't bothered by it because Dex wasn't really shown to be a good fixer to begin with.

We know four things before the heist:
1. Jackie thinks Dex is some kind of big shot (Jackie is hyped af about entering the big leagues so his judgement is clouded)
2. Dex messed with the Voodoo Boys and had to go into hiding for a time (Streetkid V)
3. He's way less chill than he presents himself to be (Vic)
4. He's never shot a gun in his life (the ingame character database)

This points to Dex's reputation being bigger than his actual skills, nobody knows much about him except for T-Bug, and she never shares.
He knew that the Voodoo boys were involved in the heist ("Folks from Pacifica told me to let it go") and ignored it, which makes it seem like he had a personal beef with them and continued with the heist out of spite or was desperate to get back into the game after being away from the Afterlife for such a long time. This led him to underestimate the dangers of the heist and underplan things. Would explain why he picked V and Jackie alongside T-Bug, young green mercs who didn't know him well.
He's also canonically a terrible shot and V's the proof of that. And he was played by Tamekura, who's not exactly a mastermind (sorry Goro).
Anything goes wrong and it's gonna come back to him, it still doesn't make sense to hire someone "green"

Dex gun is named "plan b"... he had one backup plan and he used it.

Dex gun is named "plan b"... he had one backup plan and he used it.

Sell V out to Arasaka, worked out great for him :smart:

Anything goes wrong and it's gonna come back to him, it still doesn't make sense to hire someone "green"

Desperation clouded his judgement too? :shrug:
T-Bug knew they were decent mercs and vouched for them, at the same time they didn't belong to the Afterlife crew yet so they were less informed. Not that unreasonable.

Sell V out to Arasaka, worked out great for him :smart:

Desperation clouded his judgement too? :shrug:
T-Bug knew they were decent mercs and vouched for them, at the same time they didn't belong to the Afterlife crew yet so they were less informed. Not that unreasonable.
He should have thought about plan c then...

I was trying to come with a summary for the story, but I'm having a hard time... there must be something I'm missing?

Cyberpunk is a story about a merc that got shot in the face, but luckily they survived because of a chip inside their head. The merc finds out that the chip is slowly killing them, and they must find a way to remove it. The merc then proceeds to spend their last two weeks looking for a nonexistent cure... Where is the punchline?

"Never preorder a game" :)

Top Bottom