[Spoilers] Where is the punchline?

+
Amateurs??? it would be successful if not for circumstances NOBODY could predict... nobody in NC had access to Saburo Arasaka plans... he was not supposed to be in NC... his visit to his son was well kept secret... Hanako was in the city and news were full of it... if somebody knew Saburo is in town, it would get out quickly....
"no plan survives contact with the enemy"

You dont see the punchline???

Well let me tell you a secret. The biggest heist in the game is still worse in comparison to the heist CD project did to us. xD

Good enough? lol

I was trying to come with a summary for the story, but I'm having a hard time... there must be something I'm missing?

Cyberpunk is a story about a merc that got shot in the face, but luckily they survived because of a chip inside their head. The merc finds out that the chip is slowly killing them, and they must find a way to remove it. The merc then proceeds to spend their last two weeks looking for a nonexistent cure... Where is the punchline?

The fact that they survive among the Nomads or become a legend?

Mind you, you'd have to be ignoring large swaths of the game to pretend they die.

Amateurs??? it would be successful if not for circumstances NOBODY could predict... nobody in NC had access to Saburo Arasaka plans... he was not supposed to be in NC... his visit to his son was well kept secret... Hanako was in the city and news were full of it... if somebody knew Saburo is in town, it would get out quickly....
"Amateurs" is a kind word, in my view. The planning was really that awful. It was hard to anticipate that Saburo would join the party like that, but Yori deciding to come back to his room on a whim was always possible and should have been planned for. Some security element being overlooked and triggering a rapid response was always a possibility as well, and that too should have been planned for. T-Bug getting iced was always possible and should have been planned for. Rapid egress, for whatever reason, at whatever point in the play, should have been planned for.

On top of that, we even see that the parts of the plan that worked were half-baked. A rapid improvisation is needed in the lobby to avoid having the receptionist contact the corpo guy that you're not actually there to see. What is that? And then the bot gets stuck and you have to improvise how to get it into the right place, which it fortunately turns out is possible. What if it had not been? What it someone had spotted the bot?

Then there's the aftermath. Who can convert the chip to actual money without getting burned? What is the backup play if the laundry service falls through? What is the protection until that happens? Just stick around in Night City after having taken something from the nastiest corpo assholes around that they will probably be very interested in getting back? After having left a trail a mile long that clearly and unequivocally points towards V and Jackie? The hotel might not be able to follow that track but Arasaka is a whole different story.

In my opinion, the whole thing was always shaping up to be a complete disaster, fueled by absolutely ridiculous optimism.

That said, I must admit to not really being a merc in my dayjob and my experience with heists against global corporations with nearly unchecked power and reach is limited, so maybe this is totally how a merc would do things. But I've done a bit of project management and software development, and in my experience you wouldn't start burning even a very modest budget with nothing more than best case plans and no considerations made about contingencies. Going against freaking Arasaka with that little? That's just begging for failure.
Post automatically merged:

The fact that they survive among the Nomads or become a legend?

Mind you, you'd have to be ignoring large swaths of the game to pretend they die.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that you either eat a bullet or you end up getting soulkilled. Either is fatal, unless I'm missing something?

The point you say "implies" no one should have attempted it, was that they should have foreseen head of a megacorp flying there right then and there? Really?
Sure, the plan was overly ambitious and foolhardy but I think you guys are being a bit uncharitable about that plot point.
No. Not really.

The point is that few organizations, let alone individuals, could have sufficient information to ensure the success of such an operation. I guess the best you could say is Evelyn was just that dumb and managed to hire a bunch of clowns, but even that seems like a stretch based on her characterization.

Well in emails to Judy, Evelyn laments that there must me more to life than what she has. And also said that if Judy helped her, she didn't have to do anything but art anymore. So probably she just wanted to sell it.

I don't think foolhardiness and overambition is necessarily a plothole or bad writing.
Yeah, that's not bad writing. All the characters are dumb, that's all. What is bad writing is: V/Jackie do not record Saburo's death. T-Bug has to hack a glass door. When either one of them could break the glass and not waste time. And they don't bring a hover car Delamain. They boast about this car. And I'm like, why isn't it the flying one... I'm not even against the ending. What I'm mad at is the whole ambiguous ending. I wanted a definitive, V's dead or alive. Not this half shit. Setting up a DLC or sequel. With obvious ways to solve this. With the various endings.

Last edited:
Anything goes wrong and it's gonna come back to him, it still doesn't make sense to hire someone "green"

That's actually part of the story. Dex is hiring you because no one bigger will work for him. He's using you because he thinks he can use you and pay you a RIDICULOUSLY small fee (30%).

You're getting used by Dex who recognizes that Jackie and you can be controlled (and he might be wrong about you).

I was trying to come with a summary for the story, but I'm having a hard time... there must be something I'm missing?

Cyberpunk is a story about a merc that got shot in the face, but luckily they survived because of a chip inside their head. The merc finds out that the chip is slowly killing them, and they must find a way to remove it. The merc then proceeds to spend their last two weeks looking for a nonexistent cure... Where is the punchline?

That is the punchline?

And some old tale about pirates not realizing that the true treasures in life is the booty you find along the way.

What's totally dumb with "The Heist", that Dex is shooting V in the head, well aware that the sooooo important chip is in there. That chip that Dex doesn't seem to care about anymore. Not a "hand me over the chip or you die", no trying to remove the chip from our dead body, not in the motel, not even at the junkyard...

He can't know about the things we learn about the chip later at Vic and even if he would know, he wouldn't care about removing the chip anyways, he shot us in the head...

Makes no sense...

That's actually part of the story. Dex is hiring you because no one bigger will work for him. He's using you because he thinks he can use you and pay you a RIDICULOUSLY small fee (30%).

You're getting used by Dex who recognizes that Jackie and you can be controlled (and he might be wrong about you).
IMO, It's a big bet for everyone.
Dex got some trouble, he has bad reputation and he want climb back.
T-Bug and Evelyn want big money to retired
V and Jackie need to be famous
They put their life in risk to bet the future, then lose everything.

A job to kick the ass of Arasaka is dangerous.
They make a huge plan, which also means countless point to be shit.
There is only two way to fix that.
1. The personal intelligence of merc, V and Jackie need to fix the problem by themselves. It happends while we sneak in and we done it well.
2. A plan to keep everyone run and alive.
Obviously, Dex only have a plan to throw merc out and keep himself alive. That's the true reason why he hire V and Jackie.
I actually think it's wise. You can't fight with Arasaka, so if shit happened, just let the merc die to stop lose.
To him, it's just another bad reputation that he already got.
But this time it's not normal shit, anyone who has the responsibility to the death of Saburo would be killed by Arasaka.
That's why Dex failed to alive either.

What's totally dumb with "The Heist", that Dex is shooting V in the head, well aware that the sooooo important chip is in there. That chip that Dex doesn't seem to care about anymore. Not a "hand me over the chip or you die", no trying to remove the chip from our dead body, not in the motel, not even at the junkyard...

He can't know about the things we learn about the chip later at Vic and even if he would know, he wouldn't care about removing the chip anyways, he shot us in the head...

Makes no sense...
Look the merge part.
Dex want to cut the trace, he can't involve in the shit of Saburo murder.
V got the chip is good, because while his body be found, shit ends.

Last edited:
Look the merge part.
Dex want to cut the trace, he can't involve in the shit of Saburo murder.
V got the chip is good, because while his body be found, shit ends.

If killing V is enough to cut the trace to Dex, he could easily kept the chip.
Arasaka/Yorinobu doesn't seem to care about V that much, i didn't had to hide after "The Heist" :shrug:

I'm 90% sure that Dex is the guy who called Goro in the first place.

Arasaka/Yorinobu doesn't seem to care about V that much, i didn't had to hide after "The Heist" :shrug:

Which makes sense because Yorinobu found the Board did not give the slightest shit that Saburo was dead. The Maelstrom kill team isn't even after you, they're after Goro.

No, he need Arasaka get the body of "killer" and the booty which is chip.
After that he could be clean of the Heist.
Sadly Goro didn't buy it.

Keanu Reeves is the punchline. Story and lore went out the window when they decided to center the game around him

Interestingly enough, did they not think that half of the people not gonna like Johnny and wanna get rid of him and play without him ruining the game? It's like they really ham fisted it to us and go "LIKE HIM, YOU HAVE TO LIKE HIM".

The chip is not smth you can sell that easily cause very few people would need Johnny's digital mind, or a tiny segment of it.

Corporate espionage though. Any number of megacorps would want to get their hands on cutting edge Arasaka proprietary tech, if only to know what they are working on. Pretty sure Evelyn wants it for the money, hence cutting out Dex as the middle man. Dex has beef with the Voodoo Boys, if I recally correctly, so Evelyn hired him so that her plans would not get back to the Voodoo Boys. Even then, she's just greedy and wants to cut out even Dex so she has a bigger share for herself. What her ultimate motivations are, we may not know, but in this instance greed is definitely playing the bigger part.

The Voodoo Boys don't seem to know the chip was stolen already, neither does NetWatch. The latter makes a lot of sense because with the chaos at Arasaka, it seems unlikely that Yori would have updated NetWatch on the situation. After all, Yori stole the thing himself (that's why Saburo is there) and is the one who put Silverhand's engram on it. Someone made a really good post somewhere on this forum that goes into depth on that, it was a very interesting read.

Depending on the timing with the NetWatch vs Voodoo Boys thing in Pacifica, that one makes sense as well, since the person or people in the Voodoo Boys that know about the chip and the heist are trapped in Cyberspace, preventing them from finding out more. V is the one who breaks the stalemate. So maybe the who situation does make sense. Neither side has a chance to know what is going on yet.

Finally, the thing about Silverhand's engram not being of much use to many people is true, but the chip is more than just Johnny. The tech itself is a very valuable prototype piece of immortality tech. And many people would love to get their hands on that.

I'm not saying the story is perfect (I really should write an analysis of why act I feels like a prologue, but act II is definitely act II) but I do think the story set-up for the heist, bar V and Jackie being too green, fits together quite well.

Corporate espionage though. Any number of megacorps would want to get their hands on cutting edge Arasaka proprietary tech, if only to know what they are working on. Pretty sure Evelyn wants it for the money, hence cutting out Dex as the middle man. Dex has beef with the Voodoo Boys, if I recally correctly, so Evelyn hired him so that her plans would not get back to the Voodoo Boys. Even then, she's just greedy and wants to cut out even Dex so she has a bigger share for herself.

What her ultimate motivations are, we may not know, but in this instance greed is definitely playing the bigger part.

Her motivation was exactly selling it to the Netwatch. My question is, how does she know about Alt (probably spying on Yorinobu talking to/texting the Netwatch).
screenshot.jpg

The Voodoo Boys don't seem to know the chip was stolen already, neither does NetWatch. The latter makes a lot of sense because with the chaos at Arasaka, it seems unlikely that Yori would have updated NetWatch on the situation. After all, Yori stole the thing himself (that's why Saburo is there) and is the one who put Silverhand's engram on it. Someone made a really good post somewhere on this forum that goes into depth on that, it was a very interesting read.

They know the chip was stolen. That's why they hacked her in the Clouds. And as for the source, they probably knew it from the email above (since all what Netwatch and the VBs seem to do is spy on one another).

Interestingly enough, did they not think that half of the people not gonna like Johnny and wanna get rid of him and play without him ruining the game? It's like they really ham fisted it to us and go "LIKE HIM, YOU HAVE TO LIKE HIM".

What bugs me more that even if you like Johnny, becoming his friend is not an achievement since it's forced on you.

And then the only benefit of this friendship (the secret ending) is ruined if you chose a different line in some dialogue.

Last edited:
Top Bottom