[Spoilers] Where is the punchline?

+
Yep, not really relevant :)

But corpos wouldn't need to buy the chip off Evelyn. They could have some victim pay for the "Save your soul" program (the version of it when you remain alive after the procedure) and get it "legally" from Arasaka. A cleaner way, it seems (if they're interested in the technology behind it, I mean).
Actually, that IS relevant, and you forget something.
According the plan Evelyn lined up, she'd be in possession of the chip after you'd acquire it from the heist. So Evelyn would be the sole contact from who anyone would be interested in buying the chip.
Also, if you forgot, Saburo commisioned the Relic 2,0 for himself. Hellman says that, together with the fact the chip was never emant to come onto the market for anyone. Yorinobu stole it from his father/Arasaka to sell it off (I believe it was) but if that didn't happen, the chip was never gonna be a mass produced high-end piece of tech for anyone.

I've read through some of your posts where you explain stuff as if a plothole or otherwise inconsistent, some I can relate to, but most of it is also you brushing off events or communicae's that explain or show that wrenches were thrown in and thus altering course of what the original plan/timeline for events would have been. So most 'plotholes' are a design of your own making.

I was trying to come with a summary for the story, but I'm having a hard time... there must be something I'm missing?

Cyberpunk is a story about a merc that got shot in the face, but luckily they survived because of a chip inside their head. The merc finds out that the chip is slowly killing them, and they must find a way to remove it. The merc then proceeds to spend their last two weeks looking for a nonexistent cure... Where is the punchline?
And as far as a punchline is concerned... why must there be one?
The sum up of the story ends primarily in a dark place.
Which btw I've voiced plenty of times my issues with (see "about the endings" topic, some 300 pages back or whatever)
but what punchline were you expecting or hoping for?

I feel like this game offered more than a little punchline...There's a lot more to the environment, stories, and characters to draw from that isn't simply a punchline to readily dismiss or like.

The futility of trying. Not only will you always fail but spending hours building a character is futile as the game will invalidate based on a mission choice

The futility of trying. Not only will you always fail but spending hours building a character is futile as the game will invalidate based on a mission choice
You'll hate me for saying this (we know we disagree on the endings), but the other way of looking at that is that it's more important how you live the journey than to worry about how it ends. Which I do sincerely think is half the point of all the philosophical conjecture littered around the game and very heavily informs its endings.

Last edited:
You'll hate me for saying this (we know we disagree on the endings), but the other way of looking at that is that it's more important how you live the journey than to worry about how it ends. Which I do sincerely think is half the point of all the philosophical conjectured littered around the game and very heavily informs its endings.
Well if you were allowed to live what's left of the character's journey in a fitting way to the character choices you made before, maybe i'd come round to view it in a glass half full, rather than glass very empty take.

I was trying to come with a summary for the story, but I'm having a hard time... there must be something I'm missing?

Cyberpunk is a story about a merc that got shot in the face, but luckily they survived because of a chip inside their head. The merc finds out that the chip is slowly killing them, and they must find a way to remove it. The merc then proceeds to spend their last two weeks looking for a nonexistent cure... Where is the punchline?

You have to either accept your time remaining or make yourself a legend by wiping out Arasaka.

Or you become an immortal digital ghost with Alt Cunningham.

The punchline is easy...

No matter what you do, what you have, how powerful you get, you're STILL gonna wind up dead eventually.

Top Bottom