[SPOILERS] Witcher 3 vs Witcher 2 vs Witcher 1. Vote and discuss which one is your favorite :)

+

[SPOILERS] Witcher 3 vs Witcher 2 vs Witcher 1. Vote and discuss which one is your favorite :)

• The Witcher 1

Votes: 96 22.7%
  • The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Votes: 116 27.4%
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Votes: 211 49.9%

• Total voters
No, my main issue was the fact that enemies scored a hit on me when they clearly shouldn't have

But as i said, that happens only in very specific type of attack, from very small group of enemies, and its not because of Geralt's hitbox, but because of area of attack this special attack has.

@ilayoeli @jj284b - your discussions on the merits of TW3 seem to be spreading into other threads, and seem to be getting a little personal. Maybe you could either agree to disagree or take it to PM?

Again I'm not speaking the area of effect, just regular blows.
Like here:
https://youtu.be/yQFi9pUGLcU

thats actually not standard blow but special attack for drowners (they deal extra damage with it, per xml files, same for charging jump with a strike).. anyway, based on this video, its practically milimeters away from the Geralt at the point of the hit... hardly something that makes W3 unplayable... plus, if you knew how to dodge (always sideways, never backwards), that drowner would not land a hit on you.

---------- Updated at 05:49 PM ----------

btw, that particular hit, connects.. just check it on slow mode - made a circle for you -

View attachment 27859

drowner hits you with his claws, which are at the end of his arm...

and personally, i would just prefer if Geralt swords were hitting enemies at a bit longer distance.. after all, tip of the sword should be at much bigger distance than claws of drowner - sword tip is cca 100cm away from arm holding the hilt, while drowner, even if he has a bit longer arms, should never have same reach as a man with a sword... yet, this is something that can be adjusted by modding luckilly (there is a rune for exactly this in Heart of Stone, that extends hit area for Whirl, i think it should be possible to add the same ability to base attacks as well, with a bit smaller value)

Attachments

• ibSPk1.jpg
    ibSPk1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
thats actually not standard blow but special attack for drowners (they deal extra damage with it, per xml files, same for charging jump with a strike).. anyway, based on this video, its practically milimeters away from the Geralt at the point of the hit... hardly something that makes W3 unplayable... plus, if you knew how to dodge (always sideways, never backwards), that drowner would not land a hit on you.

---------- Updated at 05:49 PM ----------

btw, that particular hit, connects.. just check it on slow mode - made a circle for you -

View attachment 27859

drowner hits you with his claws, which are at the end of his arm...

and personally, i would just prefer if Geralt swords were hitting enemies at a bit longer distance.. after all, tip of the sword should be at much bigger distance than claws of drowner - sword tip is cca 100cm away from arm holding the hilt, while drowner, even if he has a bit longer arms, should never have same reach as a man with a sword... yet, this is something that can be adjusted by modding luckilly (there is a rune for exactly this in Heart of Stone, that extends hit area for Whirl, i think it should be possible to add the same ability to base attacks as well, with a bit smaller value)
The picture shows nothing but a blurred blow, and no the drowner did not hit Geralt here.
Anyway if your still not convinced here is some more of tip of the iceberg:
https://youtu.be/xpOcHj9C2Fo
https://youtu.be/HEa7RjlLWRg
https://youtu.be/444HNbq6I2gg
https://youtu.be/lYLEHEVWXJ8

Drowner did hit, its the blood animation that is played a bit later after hit. (they hit very fast, so its hard to spot) I fight drowners all the time, and all those are hits that connect. from those your videos, only Imlerith hit was a bit strange, but again, thats the special attack that has a bit larger effective area. For Draconids video - again, that one is again good hit. With wraiths, not sure what is there to see.. they get close at you in SPECTRAL form that damages you... all specters have this type of attack, besides the standard attack with the iron poker.. its their aura that damages you.

Overall all these are hardly some "huge issue" you are trying to sell, it has no real gameplay impact whatsoever...

(btw, do you know that Fleet Footed ability reduces up to 100% of damage taken during dodging?? so just invest in it, and all your personal combat problems will be solved...)

Last edited:
I still think that The Witcher 2 is CD Projekt's best work. I'll replay that game forever (Iorveth path everytime, Vergen is so great). TW3 is simply too long to be able to reply regularly, and filled with too much filler content. I think the open world nature made the game worse, and that open style hub worlds like in TW2 are the way to go. TW2 somehow nailed a deeply political plotline, as well as a decently personal one, and it dealt with a lot of delicate subjects. TW3's main plot is a mess by comparison.

Plus The Witcher 2 gets the award for best sex scene ever realised in a video game, so there's that. :p The Elven bath scene is so frickin' cute, it's impossible not to like it.

I voted for the first, as I believe it had the best scenario, and gave the most freedom of meaning ful choices in the end. The third comes a close second, but for different reasons.

Hell, the best would be the scenario of the first with the world and engine of the third. Now, THAT would be perfect.

TW1 -> Top notch medieval/dark fantasy atmosphere from the books.
TW2 -> Well-crafted story with branching paths and memorable characters.
TW3 -> Jack of all trades, master of none.

Love 'em all equally. Brilliant series with some flaws that does not bother (me atleast) much.
They're all good. And they will forever stay in my pantheon of great RPGs. No matter what.

Last edited:
I still think that The Witcher 2 is CD Projekt's best work. I'll replay that game forever (Iorveth path everytime, Vergen is so great). TW3 is simply too long to be able to reply regularly, and filled with too much filler content. I think the open world nature made the game worse, and that open style hub worlds like in TW2 are the way to go. TW2 somehow nailed a deeply political plotline, as well as a decently personal one, and it dealt with a lot of delicate subjects. TW3's main plot is a mess by comparison.

Plus The Witcher 2 gets the award for best sex scene ever realised in a video game, so there's that. :p The Elven bath scene is so frickin' cute, it's impossible not to like it.

Completely agree. I think that the open world could fit with a good story. There are other reasons which explains why the story of TW3 it's a mess

Last edited:
I think that the open world could fit with a good story. There are other reasons which explains why the story of TW3 it's a mess

I agree with you 200%. On the beginning (seraching ciri everything is perfect in my eyes), then between "Ugly baby" and "Battle of Kaer morhen" it's okay, but after that everything goes worse... The release date must be achieved... That's the classical antiklimax you can see by a lot of games. By TW2 there was the same until CDPR has enhanced the game. Act 1 takes a long time and was perfect, Act 2 takes a normal time and was good but Act 3 in Loc Muinne... Sorry that was a baseless impertinence on the beginning. After the correction of CDPR it was no mor than okay...

I agree with you 200%. On the beginning (seraching ciri everything is perfect in my eyes), then between "Ugly baby" and "Battle of Kaer morhen" it's okay, but after that everything goes worse... The release date must be achieved... That's the classical antiklimax you can see by a lot of games.

Even before. I'll explain myself: All the Skellige's plot seemed good to me. My only issue with that area was that doesn't seems very connected with the Witcher story, why not Aedirn, Kaedwen or the Valley of Flowers instead of the islands?. But when it comes to Novigrad and all the quest related with Triss and the mages I noticed many plot holes and it was very rushed. And after the battle, well, it look like a game for teenagers...

I think that TW2 never lacked of these problems except for Act 3 (Loc Muinne) but this was fixed in the EE. And really well fixed IMO

Last edited:
Even before. I'll explain myself: All the Skellige's plot seemed good to me. My only issue with that area was that doesn't seems very connected with the Witcher story, why not Aedirn, Kaedwen or the Valley of Flowers instead of the islands?. But when it comes to Novigrad and all the problems with Triss and the mages I noticed many plot holes and it was very rushed. And after the battle, well, it look like a game for teenagers...

I can unterstand CDPR to choose the area Skellige. They want a little bit optical variation to Velen. And sailing with boots is a special feature they want use. I mean sailing in Velen is useless with the exception of the fyke isle. Novigrad for itself was in my opinion well done with the exception of the temple island (we know why it's so empty and without quests. See https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt/Removed_and_Altered_Quests ) and the Triss story (I agree with you). I mean "A Matter of Life and Death" and "Now or never" are really good quest but I miss one or two quests between them.

All the Skellige's plot seemed good to me. My only issue with that area was that doesn't seems very connected with the Witcher story, why not Aedirn, Kaedwen or the Valley of Flowers instead of the islands?

With the huge commercial success of Skyrim, something similar just had to be included. :p

See https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt/Removed_and_Altered_Quests ) and the Triss story (I agree with you). I mean "A Matter of Life and Death" and "Now or never" are really good quest but I miss one or two quests between them.

Some stuff was apparently cut in that section of the game, because in "W3 Quest asset matrix.xlsx" (Dec 17 2013), there are "few animations that can be played by the coroner, Geralt and Triss while dissecting the body of the newest victim of psycho" - this is for the quest q308_psycho (Carnal Sins), which was planned to be a main quest in Act 2 before Now or Never (see here).

With the huge commercial success of Skyrim, something similar just had to be included. :p

Some stuff was apparently cut in that section of the game, because in "W3 Quest asset matrix.xlsx" (Dec 17 2013), there are "few animations that can be played by the coroner, Geralt and Triss while dissecting the body of the newest victim of psycho" - this is for the quest q308_psycho (Carnal Sins), which was planned to be a main quest in Act 2 before Now or Never (see here).

Sometimes I'm a little bit sad if I see what the players miss in actual version of the game... :cry: And I don't believe we'll get an enhanced edition with new content like by TW2... :no

I can unterstand CDPR to choose the area Skellige. They want a little bit optical variation to Velen. And sailing with boots is a special feature they want use. I mean sailing in Velen is useless with the exception of the fyke isle. Novigrad for itself was in my opinion well done with the exception of the temple island (we know why it's so empty and without quests. See https://tcrf.net/Prerelease:The_Witcher_3:_Wild_Hunt/Removed_and_Altered_Quests ) and the Triss story (I agree with you). I mean "A Matter of Life and Death" and "Now or never" are really good quest but I miss one or two quests between them.

Skellige was kinda understandable choice - lore wise, Skelligans had completely different myths about Wild Hunt, which was established in books already - Rag Nar Rog, Naflgar comming, and the last battle against the army of Chaos... neither Aedirn, Kaedwen or Valley of Flowers had that... plus, huge portal that can transport Aen Elle to the Witcher world had to be somewhere where it is hard to reach.. it would be a bit strange if that Tower was in the middle of Kaedwen, or Aedirn, while it was never ever mentioned in books...

And regarding story and length complains, nobody forces you to do all secondary quests and all contracts in single playthrough... if you only do main line, you can finish the game in 50-60 hours, while ending will be a bit different based on what you decide to complete (not doing Triss quests? guess who gets burned at stake in Novigrad instead of nonhumans..., you wont do Skellige secondary quests about king election? again, guess who becomes King of Skellige... after all, those secondary quests just shape the world, but are not completely necessary for the main story... and CDPR even relied on them to be not completed as you get a bit different ending narative if you didnt finished them..)

in Witcher 2, story was just too linear.. of course, you had two separate roads, that leads you to the same ending.. you cannot skip Flotsam and go to Vergen, neither you can decide which part of Vergen you want to go to without completing Flotsam. Story narative is strictly linear, something you wont see in Witcher 3 - you can go to Skellige instead of Velen or Novigrad (ok, you need to go to port first of course), and your results will be a bit different from start at Velen or Novigrad... (and part, where you finally meet Uma is actually much better if you did Skellige first...)

Last edited:
Even before. I'll explain myself: All the Skellige's plot seemed good to me. My only issue with that area was that doesn't seems very connected with the Witcher story, why not Aedirn, Kaedwen or the Valley of Flowers instead of the islands?. But when it comes to Novigrad and all the quest related with Triss and the mages I noticed many plot holes and it was very rushed. And after the battle, well, it look like a game for teenagers...

Those quests are very good but their problem is they're in isolation to the rest of the story which makes the Triss romance feel mechanical in nature. It's the source of the imbalance between the two romances with Yen's feeling far more organic in its approach.

On the wider issue, The Witcher 3's biggest problem is its pacing. You're limited to to areas in the mainland (Velen and Novigrad) and Skellige, with Kaer Morhen and very short, very linear Bald Mountain section separating your visits. This leads to a feeling of stagnation in the game.

If we look at the pacing in The Witcher 2, Geralt is constantly travelling across the northern part of the continent and so there is a feeling of constant progression. Each new act is in a new area and so feels fresh and different to the previous act. The Witcher 3 suffers from a feeling that you've already been here and done that which discourages the need to explore, leaving you very little to actually do after the first act.

Kaer Morhen is a large map but suffers from a distinct lack of anything to do there but the biggest mistake was the return to Novigrad and subsequently Skellige. Had Kaer Morhen map had more quests and had the game moved to a forth area after Kaer Morhen, the game's pacing would have been better for it.

Those quests are very good but their problem is they're in isolation to the rest of the story which makes the Triss romance feel mechanical in nature. It's the source of the imbalance between the two romances with Yen's feeling far more organic in its approach.

This post explains what I think some simple reasons of the problems are (basically, changing the order of quests compared to how they were originally written, and cutting content). See also these posts for more information on the planned structure of the main quest line and some of the deleted stuff.

On the wider issue, The Witcher 3's biggest problem is its pacing. You're limited to to areas in the mainland (Velen and Novigrad) and Skellige, with Kaer Morhen and very short, very linear Bald Mountain section separating your visits. This leads to a feeling of stagnation in the game.

Kaer Morhen is a large map but suffers from a distinct lack of anything to do there but the biggest mistake was the return to Novigrad and subsequently Skellige. Had Kaer Morhen map had more quests and had the game moved to a forth area after Kaer Morhen, the game's pacing would have been better for it.

The lack of more quests in Kaer Morhen may be the result of not having enough resources to add them, and I think a couple of side-quests were even cut there. I also think the Skellige map is already not used very well, as it feels rather empty and the POIs are boring (smuggler caches). Even the Velen area is somewhat repetitive if you ignore the more important quests (like those involving the Baron or Keira). So, it would probably not have been realistically possible to add even more major areas to the base game. Except maybe with more but smaller areas, but I guess that would still have been more expensive than what is currently in the game.

Of course, the expansions should also be taken into account, especially with Blood and Wine there will be more variation in the landscape once the DLCs are installed. And more gameplay at high levels as well, so the lack of side-content at the later stages of the game becomes less of an issue. But the expansions cannot fix the rushed (particularly in the Skellige half of Act 3) main quest.

All right, people, I've noticed quite a bit of criticism, but very little praise of the successful points of the game in these last few posts, also, not much mention of The Witcher or Assassins of Kings. So, if there's naught but complaints about Wild Hunt, this thread may be due for decommissioning. Unless someone new has something original to contribute to the topic, be advised it may soon be closed.

Top Bottom