[SPOILERS] Witcher 3 vs Witcher 2 vs Witcher 1. Vote and discuss which one is your favorite :)

+

[SPOILERS] Witcher 3 vs Witcher 2 vs Witcher 1. Vote and discuss which one is your favorite :)

• The Witcher 1

Votes: 96 22.7%
  • The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Votes: 116 27.4%
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Votes: 211 49.9%

• Total voters
Am I playing this wrong?
Not really. By comparison, the combat and controls are less responsive in Assassins of Kings, especially in the beginning. I was struck by this when I first played. It takes some time to grow accustomed to them -- and learn to roll a lot more than seems decent for a witcher. Quen can also come in handy. As for levels, if you've followed all the quests, you should be on-track. Finally, the fight with Letho in the Elven Bath, which is the one I believe you mean, is always a challenge.

Edit: I died a lot playing Witcher 1, but I could actually see why and it didn't bother me. That was almost strategic; this seems a lot more twitch-based.
By comparison, the combat and controls are less responsive in Assassins of Kings, especially in the beginning.

Yup. I loved the story and the cinematic feel of TW2, but I really disliked the combat. It's hard to be "under-leveled" for the main quest missions in any of The Witcher games. For TW2, it's ensuring you have gear appropriate for that stage of the game, then, as Riven says above, dive-roll, dive-roll, dive-roll... Blocking is pretty much ineffectual, unless you're going for a parry + riposte. (Dive-rolls.) Aside from that it saps your stamina way too much to be useful. (Dive-rolls into a dive-roll.)

For Letho in particular, I remember being really jaded by how grindy that fight was. I tried all sorts of stuff, and then basically settled on a pattern of using Aard followed by 2-3 heavy swings before dive-rolling away. Bubble, rinse, repeat for far, far too long. But it worked. (Also, don't attack him if he puts his Quen up. Use knives or bombs on it. Personally, I just activated Quen myself and waited for his to wear off. He's completely invincible while it's up.) You can riposte most of his attacks, and it causes a chunk of damage, but the timing required is crazy. Like Dark-Souls-1-fighting-Gwyn-with-a-regular-shield levels of crazy.

Not really. By comparison, the combat and controls are less responsive in Assassins of Kings, especially in the beginning. I was struck by this when I first played. It takes some time to grow accustomed to them -- and learn to roll a lot more than seems decent for a witcher. Quen can also come in handy. As for levels, if you've followed all the quests, you should be on-track. Finally, the fight with Letho in the Elven Bath, which is the one I believe you mean, is always a challenge.
Okay Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup. I loved the story and the cinematic feel of TW2, but I really disliked the combat. It's hard to be "under-leveled" for the main quest missions in any of The Witcher games. For TW2, it's ensuring you have gear appropriate for that stage of the game, then, as Riven says above, dive-roll, dive-roll, dive-roll... Blocking is pretty much ineffectual, unless you're going for a parry + riposte. (Dive-rolls.) Aside from that it saps your stamina way too much to be useful. (Dive-rolls into a dive-roll.)

For Letho in particular, I remember being really jaded by how grindy that fight was. I tried all sorts of stuff, and then basically settled on a pattern of using Aard followed by 2-3 heavy swings before dive-rolling away. Bubble, rinse, repeat for far, far too long. But it worked. (Also, don't attack him if he puts his Quen up. Use knives or bombs on it. Personally, I just activated Quen myself and waited for his to wear off. He's completely invincible while it's up.) You can riposte most of his attacks, and it causes a chunk of damage, but the timing required is crazy. Like Dark-Souls-1-fighting-Gwyn-with-a-regular-shield levels of crazy.

Incidentally, thank you for the advice against letho, in my latest playthrough it was getting a little tedious

Top Bottom