[SPOILERS] Witcher 3 vs Witcher 2 vs Witcher 1. Vote and discuss which one is your favorite :)

+

[SPOILERS] Witcher 3 vs Witcher 2 vs Witcher 1. Vote and discuss which one is your favorite :)

• The Witcher 1

Votes: 96 22.7%
  • The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Votes: 116 27.4%
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Votes: 211 49.9%

• Total voters
All right, people, I've noticed quite a bit of criticism, but very little praise of the successful points of the game in these last few posts, also, not much mention of The Witcher or Assassins of Kings. So, if there's naught but complaints about Wild Hunt, this thread may be due for decommissioning. Unless someone new has something original to contribute to the topic, be advised it may soon be closed.

I thought this was a thread for express our opinions. I didn't know we had two praise the game like it was an obligation. You made your point saying that there are not much mention to the previous game so I'll edit my last post.

Last edited:
I thought this was a thread for express our opinions. I didn't know we had two praise the game like it was an obligation.
This is a thread for opinions, and praise is never obligatory; however, when these opinions begin to trend strongly towards the negative, and the original topic of the thread becomes obscured by complaints about a single game, then a reminder is in order. Carry on.

Which of the three games do you prefer and why? That's what this thread is about. If you're going to express disappointment with TWH in this thread, it must be done so in comparison with the other titles in The Witcher series of games. I think that's all he's asking for and if so, it's not a big ask.

Edit: Sam, just to clarify, I'm agreeing with Rivenll, not you. Just want to make that clear since you 'liked' my post. Either way, let's please not get this thread locked by descending off topic. After all, the best moderation is self moderation.

Last edited:
Which of the three games do you prefer and why? That's what this thread is about. If you're going to express disappointment with TWH in this thread, it must be done so in comparison with the other titles in The Witcher series of games. I think that's all he's asking for and if so, it's not a big ask.

Edit: Sam, just to clarify, I'm agreeing with Rivenll, not you. Just want to make that clear since you 'liked' my post.

I got it at the first time. I'm agree with your post. That's all

TW1&2 story had very good pacing - the plot and the stakes were in a constant shift upwards. The Witcher 3 pacing is just plain weird.
I don't think The Witcher 3 poor pacing is necessarily a consequence of the open-world design principle. TW1&2 had plenty of side quests to complete in each area as well, I think it's the problem with the main story writing rather.
The writers didn't have to have you looking for a goat for the Pellar, the Novigrad act didn't have to begin in the speed of snail on LSD, the climax of the Novigrad didn't have to be interrupted by an unnecessary hunt for Dandielion kidnapper, the Bald Mountian quest didn't have to be directly and unexpectedly after the Battle of Kaer Morhen. These are just failings in writing, not necessarily because of the open-world design.

-Witcher 3 without any doubt.
-Witcher 2 was ok too but it really wasn't my soul for some reason(probably because I chose Shani over Triss in TW1 and was kinda angry that they forced Triss on me in TW2)
-Witcher 1 on another hand felt like some kind of "Pokemon" game with sex card instead....you know, gotta catch em all lol

The 3rd one without any doubt. It's not even a matter of gameplay or story, though on those terms it still beats it's two predecessors. For me what makes the 3rd so great is that there's life in the eyes of the characters. I look into their gaze and I see actual human emotions that instantly make me connect to them. A shame that very few games can pull that off.

aww poor W1 in last place.

for me, the better game overall is TW3, but my favorite is TW1, because I tend to prefer rough diamonds, games with unique things that overcome the formal design issues they might have.

At the end of the day, you take a look at TW1 and TW3, and I think of the two, the one that you'd have a harder time to find a similar experience to would be TW1, in general of course.

All of this really puts into perspective the quality of the franchise however, TW2 is the worst one for me easily, and it's so much better than so many other RPGs out there.

haven't played W1.

story-wise, i think w2 is a bit more interesting. w3 has got much more interesting characters.

gameplay-wise, though, w3 is far better than its predecessor. among other things, w2's pathfinding is so excruciating that i'm skipping quite a few of the side quests and not doing contracts at all.

After playing Hearts of Stone, my arrangement is:

The Witcher 2
The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
The Witcher
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Mainly arranged by how much I enjoyed them, and by the risks or new things they did, relative to the time they came out. I thought that Hearts of Stone had a lot a creativity, something the main game was lacking in quite a few areas. The wedding scene added some happiness to the game, which is awfully dreary most of the time. Scenes like the party in TW1, and the discussions in the taverns in TW2 make the universe feel real, and I felt that the base game was missing that, expect for that quick scene at Kaer Morhen.

O'Dimm is one of the best characters CDPR have ever written, and Olgierd can be added to the list of characters that I love to hate, and hate to love. He's a better Bloody Baron than the actual Bloody Baron. I hope they keep this up for Blood & Wine, but it also makes me sad that there's a universe where the entire game is of Hearts of Stone's standard.

For me
W1>W3 Hearts of Stone>W2>W3
I can still remember what choices have i made,before making a decision in w1 you really have to think about it.I don't want to spoil anything but story is deeper,darker and more immersive.Characters in W1 are far better than any other witcher game except Gaunter O'Dimm. Woww he is such a fascinating,cool,evil guy,I hope we will see more of him :)

As far as pure gameplay goes, I'd go with: W3>W2=W1
On the story side, it's W1>W3>W2

I'd love to see a remake of 1-2 in the RED3 engine...

IMO, out of the things that The Witcher series does well The Witcher 1 is the best in the series. I still like The Witcher 3 leaps & bound better than other AAA RPGs though.

Witcher 2 is my least fave. It pooped on so many things I liked about TW1.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Phinnway that TW2 is the least witchery of all the games. Yet to me, it accomplishes its goals better than the other two. Tough as nails combat, layered plot elements and political scheming that was carried out with confidence, right up to the end. I don't think CDPR or any other dev will repeat that feat any time soon.

1. Witcher: best soundtrack hands down, mainstory was unpredictable with plot twist, perfect atmosphere, more attack animations then Witcher 3? What happend there CDPR? little to no hand-holding unlike 3, animations for drinking potions, applying oil, sharpening weapons, meditation only near camp fire, no ciri etc. I could go on and on. Great game back then and still the best Witcher game.

2. Hearts of Stone: best soundtrack after Witcher 1, amazing Antagonist, pacing was very good, challenging fights again and nice bossfights, exploration/loot was improved from Witcher 3 maingame, again no ciri (just saying this to piss off ciri fans)

3. Witcher 3: voice acting was top notch, great facial expressions, best combat out of the 3, brought back some atmosphere from Witcher 1, seeing eskel, lambert and vesemir again, so many interesting characters, best sidequests in an Open World game to date (though Witcher senses are overused and make the quests basically auto-pilot, Geralt tells you everything, as if the gps was not enough), progression system was unrewarding, sadly the weakest mainstory, shallow main villians , wtf happend with radovid? very predictable, no big twist and of course Ciri.. pacing is bad probably because of the Open World. So if I leave the expansion out its the second best Witcher game.

4, Witcher 2: very cool antagonist, begins directly after Witcher 1 ended as far as I remember, Foltest is a bro, amazing graphics back then, better mainstory then 3, politics, two different act 2 very bold, more mature themes then 1 and 3, weakest combat system even though Witcher 1 combat was simple it was a lot more fun, QTEs, QTE Fistfights, weakest minigames and the amazing atmosphere from Witcher 1 was missing.

All of them have there strengths and weaknesses no Witcher game outright sucks or is bad, but 2 is my personal weakest out of them, despite having a better mainstory then 3.

Last edited:
political scheming that was carried out with confidence, right up to the end. I don't think CDPR or any other dev will repeat that feat any time soon.
And yet I find it totally boring because I play Crusader Kings 2. And that game generates equally as complex politics dynamically. Not saying TW2 politics are bad, it just never impressed me.

my favorite remains W1 for personal reasons, obviously all the cool kids will vote for W3 ;)

imo ofc it goes the same way with Dragon Age, Origins followed by Inquisition

Last edited:
Witcher 3 does everything better than W1/W2 ....except

1. Alchemy
2. Character building. (W3 has the least builds viable for the whole game.)

Witcher 3
Witcher 2
Witcher 1

Wild Hunt is definitely my overall favorite. It has my favorite character moments, the best quest design, the most interesting overall plot for me that focused on Geralt's relationships (side note: giving Geralt amnesia was pretty awful in my opinion).

Assassins of Kings had some of the best individual quests and definitely made you feel like your choices have consequences. Also I think it had probably the best graphics in the series (relative to when the game came out of course).

The original is definitely my least favorite. It could be because I didn't play it till way after it was released, so it naturally seemed pretty old by 2014. Some of it's systems are actually really strong, but overall its my least favorite.

Top Bottom