Sports thread

+
Sports thread

EDIT: I changed the poll to something less centered on North American sport.

Some really great matches coming up this weekend in hockey and football/soccer.

The UCL final between two very awesome German clubs is this sat, 25th: BVB vs. FCB.

The NHL playoffs and MLS matches are also going on right now. I always root for the New England Revs, but alas.

So, what are you watching? Your teams?

Also, post about any match news or whatever cool sports-related topic.

I recently came across this Japanese card game, which is also played competitively, Karuta. The objective is to steal cards from the opponent when you hear the poem being read.

Here's a video of it being played:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKAmZxVhQww

Guest 2091327

Where's the "Couldn't give a toss" option? ;)

I'm sure others are of the same opinion of my interest, but I'm wondering how Manchester United will get on next season without Sir Alex Ferguson. Very unusual for a football club, he has been their manager for 27 years, and won truckloads of trophies in that time, transforming the team from a beerdrinking culture to a winning culture. It will be very interesting to see what happens next season. Not only because United changed their manager, but because the top three teams do the same. Could be a wide open season.

Hope Dortmund win the CL final btw. Not a particular fan of Bayern, and there is something romantic about Dortmund. The way they play and how the club is structured. Just a shame they lost Götze to Bayern. Such a shame they keep vacuuming up all top German talent :(

That card game looks very strange btw.

today i watche Boca Juniors vs Newells from argentina, pretty important match, quarter finals for the champions league from america.

and im eagerly waiting for carl froch vs kessler and narvaez vs orucuta in boxing

Nekkers don't skate. But they play a mean game of water polo. Flotsam's last championship match against the Murky Waters Drowners was a classic. Twelve ejections, two misconducts for violence, and four drownings.

Seriously, NHL playoffs: I never count the Red Wings out. Bring an octopus.

I don't even know how to begin feeling about the CL final, the same as last year- two greats teams which I like and respect equally, but I am leaning towards BVB for their awesome, awesome dominance this year.

Geralt (heh): thanks for bringing up boxing, it's not something I follow personally, but I always like hearing about it.

Guy: lol, sure thing. Here's something (not so recent) for the RW fans. Congrats on the win tonight :D/> I didn't have the heart to watch anymore hockey after the Bs lost. I am still recovering.

Oh yeah, about the card game: I don't know, if I knew Japanese I would give it a try; apparently the skills required are memorization and stamina. As a former pre-med, I guess I could manage that :D

I like figure skating c:

But nobody really cares about it and I haven't watched it for a year or two, and that concludes my contribution to this thread.

Fair game, I have no idea who she is because I only watch for

and Plushenko's flawless performances of Godfather.

Sasha Cohen, US Olympic medalist, in 2006, I think. Figure skating is pretty cool though. There are some sites where you can watch recent competitions, like ice network. I looked it up b/c I am curious about these Godfather performances.

I usually find performances on youtube, but I'll check out the ice network. Plushenko is amazing, and always so on point. Here's his Olympics performance of Godfather (he won gold):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21woRiBqrks[/media]

and the hilarious performance of Sex Bomb (it's from free program where skaters are allowed to do whatever they want, for fun, including the banned moves and weird costumes):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3UygCsHCs[/media]

Haha, sex bomb is like something out of a so-bad-it's-good comedy. Dude was a champ throughout that performance, nice drama with the facial expressions, lol. It was hilarious when he went near the crowds and the girls were like, "I just want to touch you!".

Figure skating is like ballet on ecstasy. The godfather performance was fun to watch, but I wish the audience/commentators would shut up during the performance.

Oh yeah, and he looks better as a brunette.

Guest 2091327

Same feeling here about the commentators, especially the bint in the Godfather performance. Excellent guy though, some fantastic jumps in there. No idea who he can control his body when doing something like that. I'd certainly fall on my arse quickly :D

O my heart throbs when this lovely man plays. Very much looking forward to the French Open. Men's Tennis has been superb, hope to see the same on the women's side soon.

Hockey? You bunch of yanks :p

I like football (soccer, for you american twats :p)

NSFW-ish: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/06/10/article-2002206-0C81172E00000578-168_634x667.jpg

I could vote but I won't 'cause I don't know what you are talking about... />/>(Braça, Barça, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaarça!!!)

Guest 2091327

Federer is a fantastic player, but I have a weak spot for Nadal. He is also the king of clay, so will be interesting to see if he can take home yet another title there.

Any snooker fans btw? Fan is perhaps putting it strongly, but I love to watch Ronnie "The Rocket" O'Sullivan play. Probably the most talented player to ever play the sport.

Boxing and MMA for me. Vitali Klitschko is the best heavyweight since Lewis, and technically I feel he's even better than him despite losing via slavic brow ( cut ). His younger brother gets all the attention, but big Vitali is every boxers nightmare: 6' 8". deceptive style, strong as an ox, amazing reflexes and timing, granite chin ( never been knocked out ). He has the highest knockout percentage of all time, beating the likes of Marciano and Joe Lewis.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y1q8BQw9Ds[/media]

As for MMA, a far more unpredictable and volitile sport, staying at the top for any period of time is extremely difficult. Fedor finally fell, but for a while he was invincible. He's an undersized heavy for the sport, and looks like the local neighborhood butcher, slightly chubby and unassuming. But watch him fight. His abilty to switch combat styles on the fly has never been matched imo.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQNUlK4URr4[/media]

Pangaea said:
Any snooker fans btw? Fan is perhaps putting it strongly, but I love to watch Ronnie "The Rocket" O'Sullivan play. Probably the most talented player to ever play the sport.

Wouldn't say that I'm a 'fan' either, but I try to watch the World Championship regularly, and tend to watch another couple of matches throughout the year.

O'Sullivan is unbelievably talented. Coming back after a longer break because he "has nothing better to do" and then win the WC is just unreal. Still, I like the Jester of Leicester better - of course he's nowhere near O'Sullivan's skills, but very likable dude who brings a bit of fun and freshness into that strict gentlemen's world that snooker is.

I look forward to tomorrow's CL final and root for Dortmund. Although I (have to) live in Munich (for studying), I fervently hate FC Bayern München - for their attitude and arrogance and because they're sort of an archrival of my favorite club.

Aaden said:
I look forward to tomorrow's CL final and root for Dortmund. Although I (have to) live in Munich (for studying), I fervently hate FC Bayern München - for their attitude and arrogance and because they're sort of an archrival of my favorite club.

mmm I'm not fan of Borussia but this season I feel a little bit of grrrrrrr grudge against Bayern.... /> Don't ask me why because I've already forgotten those damned 7 hits, oh, I mean, goals... what a shame!

Federer is a fantastic player, but I have a weak spot for Nadal. He is also the king of clay, so will be interesting to see if he can take home yet another title there.

Nadal is a beast, but if there is no match with Federer I'd love a Nadal vs. Djokovic. But just is snooker? I've play pool, abut I leave snooker to my Trans-Atlantic cousins. Did a bit of looking and apparently pool is to snooker what American Football is to rugby: similar and yet very different.

Top Bottom