Spy theorycrafting thread - WIP

+
I know we haven't seen all of the expansion, but I'm very excited for the new possibilities for Spy decks and I'm very much into deckbuilding. If you believe it's too early for similar speculations, I respect your opinion, but this is not the thread for you.

As new cards are revealed I'll update this post.

Analysing the archetype strategically, I'd say spies have quite a lot of potential for long rounds thanks to Seditious Aristocrats and Impera Enforcers, a finisher in Usurper and a short round/tempo option in Joachim De Wett. Moreover Nilfgaard offers top notch control and tech options, such Yennefer: Invocation, Vilgefortz or the status package.

Now let's delve deeper, looking at individuale cards:

Impera Enforcers.
3 strength. Ranged, Order: damage an enemy unit by 2. Charge: 1. Gain 1 charge whenever you play a Spying unit.

Enforcers have suffered several changes from Open Beta, but their core ability has remained pretty much unchanged. Actually, it's now possible to hold onto charges to keep them as removal power. Enforcers' first drawback is Tempo. They play for 3 points on deploy, which can be really horrible on blue coin, particularly against Monsters or pointslam decks.

Enforcers can be devastating in long rounds, *if* left unanswered. And that's unfortunately a big if. Commiting to Imperial formation can mitigate the removal problem in theory, however at 5 strength they become zapper material (Boiling oil, assassination, alzur thunder...) while at 7 they are perfect poison material (actually even at 5). Secondary problem is movement. Movement is probably going to make Enforcers almost useless in Scoia'tael matchups and Nilfgaard doesn't have movement options of its own. Strays of spalla could solve the problem, but they are not feasible for a variety of reasons (among which Devotion).

Relevant synergies:
Ramon Tyrconnel can make an additional copy of Enforcers, but outside of an hybrid soldier-spy deck it wouldn't have enough targets to be consistent.

Sacrifice. Deathblow condition is easy to fulfill for Spy decks and bringing back either Enforcers or Seditious Aristocrats could be valuable, but once again devotion stands in our way. Also, six provision is a significant commitment for any deck.

Operator and Duchess Informants allow for funny shaenenigans. Unreliable, but an option nonetheless. (Not practicable with Devotion)

Allgod to offer further protection from removal and powerful carryover in round 3. Drawback: incompatible with Devotion, very costly

Seditious Aristocrats
3 strength, 5 provisions
Deploy, Devotion: Boost self by 1 for every enemy Spying unit
Whenever an enemy unit gains Spying, boost self by 1

Another ability carried over from Beta, Seditious Aristocrats are the new old Impera Brigades.

Another powerful card in long rounds, Aristocrats are best exploited in Devotion decks, where they receive retroactivity

Relevant synergies: the Aristocrat tag can proc Masquerade Ball chapters

Assessment: Without devotion Thirsty Dames are better. They also start at 3 str, meaning that at least 4 spies are going to be required to gain 7 points (5 provision average). Retroactivity is valuable for any engine, but now emissary chains are gone so I wonder if they are going to be better than Dames. Definetely a safer option against removal.

Rot Tosser
5 strength, 5 provisions
Deploy: Spawn and play cow carcass

Relevant synergies: Thirsty dame, any poison giver, Assimilate

Assessment: great synergies with three of Nilfgaard's archetypes and can give multiple poison at once. I think it's going to be a contender for a spot in any hybrid deck. It can proc Thirsty Dames three times.

Duchess Informant
1 strength, 5 provision (Disloyal)
Spying. Deploy: Spawn and play a base copy of enemy non-spying unit

Assessment: so far Informants have been the best tools for Spy decks or better yet attempts at Spy decks. Copying the opponent's top bronzes is intriguing and sometimes can have significant tactical value, however outside of an assimilate frame I can't really see this card due to its provision cost. Furthermore they are match-up dependant and can be stopped by defenders

(

Relevant synergies: Assimilate

Nilfgaardian Knight by [FG15-ISH7EG]
5 provisions, 7 strength
Deploy: Boost an enemy unit by 2.

Assessment: Using NG Knight on an Operative makes it a 9 for 5 provision play. And if you don't draw it at the right time, it could still offer value for an angry mob or combined with any of NGs killing options. (Peter, Touissant Knight Errand, Lock + Vanhemar...). Another important advantage of this card is proactivity, as it can play for 7 on an empty board. In fact, so far it seems that Spies lack cards which can be played without some sort of board set-up. Main drawback is the 5p cost.

Angry Mob by [FG15-ISH7EG]
4 Provision, 3 Strength
Deploy: Damage an enemy unit by 2. Conspiracy: Boost self by 2.

Assessment: not entirerly sure about this card. It could be an ok pick, but it has some bigger drawbacks. By killing your own spies you basically remove value from the Aristocrat deploy effect, which isn't that great. Also I expect to see more cards profiting from the number of spying enemies, which makes this card worse.
But as a filler for 4 provisions it might not too bad. In particular as the 2 damage can help against other cards as well. Decent consideration in a pointslam deck.

Mangonel
3 strength, 5 provisions
Deploy, Ranged: Damage an enemy unit by 1. For every Spying unit adjacent to it, increase damage by 2.

Assessment: It has a ceiling of 8 points, which is a bit higher than the average 5 provision card and a larger Spy pool means that it can played consistently. In some situations it can also act as removal with its 5 points of damage. However there are probably better options for the same provision cost and it's easily interefered with. Filler for a pointslam oriented Spy deck.

Experimental Remedy
Special, 6 provisions
Play a bronze unit from your opponent's graveyard.

Assessment: You either die a Hero or become a special card. Vicovaro Medics (now turned Experimental Remedy) were extremely important for Emissary chains and could become significant again if a bronze Spy of Great Power is included in the expansion. As a bonus it can also counter Graveyard interactions (which seem to be a centerpiece of this expansion). Drawbacks: 6 provision cost.

Relevant synergies: Duchess Informant, Menno Coehoorn, Triss: Telekinesis

Emissary (Disloyal)
1 strength, 5 provisions
Spying. Deploy: Boost an allied unit by 7.

Assessment: Once emissary chains were the very foundation of Spy decks. Now emissary is reduced to filler. 7 points is ok, and if the opponent doesn't immediately kill an Enforcer Emissary can boost it out of removal range. Drawback: plays into poison/tall removal

Alba Pikemen
4 strength, 5 provision
Melee: every allied turn, on turn end, damage a random enemy unit on the melee row by 1

Assessment: an odd one on this list, alba Pikemen can be used to remove Spies placed on the melee row and to force the opponent into rowstacking. Drawback: Move or remove

Relevant synergies: Impera Enforcers, Regis, Ragn-Nar-Roog, Soldiers

Van Moorlehem Hunter
3 strength, 1 armor, 4 provisions
Deploy, Melee: Give Bleeding 2 to an enemy unit
Deploy, Ranged: Lock a unit

Assessment: slow tempo as it may be 4 provision locks with a backup bleeding option and an Aristocrat tag is a good consideration in any deck

Relevant synergies: Masquerade Ball, Vincent van Moorlehem, Vanhemar, Thirsty Dames, Master of Disguise, Slaver

Infiltrator
4 strength, 4 provisions
Melee: On round end, shuffle this unit in your opponent's deck

Assessment: Infiltrator is a bad card, but if you enjoy fucking up the opponent it's funny. But most importantly it's proactive, and Spies seem to lack purely proactive options

Relevant synergies: Cynthia, Vilgefortz, Assire

Fangs of the Empire
4 strength, 4 provisions
Deploy: give poison to an enemy unit

Assessment: perhaps Nilfgaard's best 4 provisions card, we have all seen what It can do in a poison package. If poison is going to be a relevant part of Nilfgaard Spy archetype, then this is a certain inclusion. Agent tag can also trigger Usurper Emperor.

Relevant synergies: Poison package

King Cobra
3 strength, 1 armor, 5 provisions
Deploy: give poison to an enemy unit.

Assessment: another targeted poison card, this time neutral. A possibility for a poison-heavy Spy hybrid. Doesn't work with Devotion

Relevant synergies: poison package

Imperial Diviner
4 strength, 5 provisions
Assimilate. Deploy: Purify a unit.

Assessment: arguably the best bronze purify in the game, it can also become an engine in any Spy-Assimilate hybrid. It's going to be used mostly for it's tech ability against defenders though.

Bomb Heaver
4 strength, 5 provisions
Deploy: destroy an artifact

Assessment: if Scenarios remain important in the meta, then it's going to be a great tech card and a loss for any Devotion deck

Last edited:
I'd probably include Nilfgaardian Knight in a spy package with Ursurper.

Nilfgaardian Knight
5 provisions, 7 strength

Using NG Knight on an Operative makes it a 9 for 5 provision play. And if you don't draw it at the right time, it could still offer value for an angry mob or combined with any of NGs killing options.

Angry Mob
4 Provision, 3 Strength

Not entirerly sure about this card. It could be an ok pick, but it has some bigger drawbacks. By killing your own spies you basically remove value from the Aristocrat deploy effect, which isn't that great. Also I expect to see more cards profiting from the number of spying enemies, which makes this card worse.
But as a filler for 4 provisions it might not too bad. In particular as the 2 damage can help against other cards as well.

I'd probably include Nilfgaardian Knight in a spy package with Ursurper.

Nilfgaardian Knight
5 provisions, 7 strength

Using NG Knight on an Operative makes it a 9 for 5 provision play. And if you don't draw it at the right time, it could still offer value for an angry mob or combined with any of NGs killing options.

Angry Mob
4 Provision, 3 Strength

Not entirerly sure about this card. It could be an ok pick, but it has some bigger drawbacks. By killing your own spies you basically remove value from the Aristocrat deploy effect, which isn't that great. Also I expect to see more cards profiting from the number of spying enemies, which makes this card worse.
But as a filler for 4 provisions it might not too bad. In particular as the 2 damage can help against other cards as well.
You know, with Nilfgaardian knight you could probably set up some strange combo I just thought about: boosting operatives to set up treason.

Also if you managed to secure last say you could boost operatives on the other side of the board mainting almost complete uninteractivity, then play usurper and get those points back. I don't think it would be competitive (especially on blue coin) however it could be fun if pulled off.

I find your observations correct, I'll include them as soon as I edit the post

Last edited:
I love indulging in thoeretically thoeries, though thumbs up!

small but strange add to Dutchess Informant. Usurper Emperor form on board should block Informants from getting any new targets (they are bad round three anyways, if opponent has full gold hand)

edit: looking forward to that one player who will frustrate me deeply pulling off a Cahir - Operativ boost - Usurper combo, winning 100 points ahead. Almost cries for Swim to make a brief comeback on this ;)

Last edited:
I love indulging in thoeretically thoeries, though thumbs up!

small but strange add to Dutchess Informant. Usurper Emperor form on board should block Informants from getting any new targets (they are bad round three anyways, if opponent has full gold hand)

edit: looking forward to that one player who will frustrate me deeply pulling off a Cahir - Operativ boost - Usurper combo, winning 100 points ahead. Almost cries for Swim to make a brief comeback on this ;)
If you are referring to Usurper Emperor's ability it seems it was a mistake on Reddit side as the effect shown on the trailer is the actual one that is going to be introduced in the game. Regarding Informants you're not mistaken, they can really suck in some situations

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Sorry to come "late to the party", but i read the new cards more carefully and found something interesting.

The NG evolving card spawns 3pt agents on opposite row, on R2 or R3, and has zeal to summon them back immediately for 12pts for 11prov.

However, if you dont summon them back immediately i assume there is a benefit to that, because if you dont, the opponent can purify those agents (for example with Sigfried) and you will be unable to summon them and the opponent just got some easy 6pts.

So, what am i missing, why not just summon the agents immediately? I assum you already have built your board with units that synergize with spy tags appearing, so you wouldnt get benefit from the agents staying as spies any longer, right?

[...]
However, if you dont summon them back immediately i assume there is a benefit to that, because if you dont, the opponent can purify those agents (for example with Sigfried) and you will be unable to summon them and the opponent just got some easy 6pts.
[...]
Actually that would be 6 points each (because you do not get them and the opponent keeps them), so you lose 12 points by not taking them and removing Usurper: Emperor alone is enough to ensure that, you do not need to purify them (although that removes the spy tag).

Sorry to come "late to the party", but i read the new cards more carefully and found something interesting.

The NG evolving card spawns 3pt agents on opposite row, on R2 or R3, and has zeal to summon them back immediately for 12pts for 11prov.

So, what am i missing, why not just summon the agents immediately? I assum you already have built your board with units that synergize with spy tags appearing, so you wouldnt get benefit from the agents staying as spies any longer, right?
You most definetely want to use the order immediately, because the opponent can kill the Usurper and you gain no advantage from having them on the other side of the board. Big problem is that in a Mirror match the opponent can seize back your own Operatives, making last say vital. Hypotethical Surprise counterplay could be Elf and Onion Soup: you leave Usurper on the board for one turn hoping that he survives, then seize the operatives and...Soup them

DRK3

Forum veteran
You most definetely want to use the order immediately, because the opponent can kill the Usurper and you gain no advantage from having them on the other side of the board. Big problem is that in a Mirror match the opponent can seize back your own Operatives, making last say vital. Hypotethical Surprise counterplay could be Elf and Onion Soup: you leave Usurper on the board for one turn hoping that he survives, then seize the operatives and...Soup them

Im not sure in a mirror match you would also be able to seize the opponent's operatives. Im assuming when they spawn on the opponents side they have the spying tag, when the usurper order is used and they change sides they lose the spy status so an enemy usurper cant seize them after.

But another counter if the operatives arent ordered back immediately is transformation - you can use slave infantry or those NR cursed knights to make them into something else.

Spies currently feel like old Unitless in a lot of ways, except instead of spaming pure removal, you have boosts too.

Top Bottom