Square Enix's Cyberpunk Prototype Demo from TGS2018

+
Ghost In The Shell and The Matrix vibes all over the place.

That's certainly an adequate way to describe the video. Though, it feels too much like a Devil-May-Cry'ish kind of game(play) with heavy Japanese tones, which diminishes from the Cyberpunk feeling, for better or worse.

That's certainly an adequate way to describe the video. Though, it feels too much like a Devil-May-Cry'ish kind of game(play) with heavy Japanese tones, which diminishes from the Cyberpunk feeling, for better or worse.

That's actually what drew me in. A cyberpunk RPG with DMC style combat and Final Fantasy'ish, over the top art style, would be a unique take on the genre.

Though I prefer overall western games, one thing I would give Japanese credit for: style and imagination. We are too much obsessed here with "Muh realism!" to the point it sometimes feels it limits where this medium can take us.

I think modern Japanese animators and artists are so obsessed with physical perfection, their characters just look lifeless. Narrative-wise it's dry and unexciting. Both Ghost in the Shell (animated film) and The Matrix were deeply grounded in realism and restrained themselves as much as possible for all the right reasons. James Cameron had this to say: the more fantastic the subject, the more realistic the situation needs to be for it to work.

The clip above is weightless, pointless and tasteless. It's opposite to The Matrix and Ghost in the Shell.

I watched it when someone linked it on the 2077 discord, and it's a thumbs-down for me as well. It started off "ok", but once the whole silly magic-wires-thing-we-totally-didn't-copy-from-Hellsing shenanigans started it jumped the shark.

I think modern Japanese animators and artists are so obsessed with physical perfection, their characters just look lifeless. Narrative-wise it's dry and unexciting. Both Ghost in the Shell (animated film) and The Matrix were deeply grounded in realism and restrained themselves as much as possible for all the right reasons. James Cameron had this to say: the more fantastic the subject, the more realistic the situation needs to be for it to work.

The clip above is weightless, pointless and tasteless. It's opposite to The Matrix and Ghost in the Shell.
very much this...

it's like a barbie doll shooting guns...nah...

You do realize that a cornerstone of the genre is an American tweak on a heavy Japanese style right?

It does seem the modern game devs and CGA artists are overshooting the uncanny valley.

I think the western definition of realism and its usage as a crutch for "depth" in entertainment/games is overrated. Trying to make everything "realistic" is a great way of making boring, cliche stories and experiences. James Cameron is also a grumpy guy who bashed the Avengers (MCU) franchise for no reason other than jealousy. I would take everything he says and has said recently with a grain of salt. Animation and characters look fine to me, not sure what you mean by "lifeless."

As for Matrix being grounded in realism. Let's not forget that by the end of Matrix 2 and 3 Neo has near-godlike powers in the real world too. He outright does inexplicable nonsense in the real world (during machines invasion) in the third movie. That's as magical as it can get.

Magic and cyberpunk do get along just fine. Just look at the Shadowrun franchise. Everything is believable as long as there's lore to support it. The prototype demo is gorgeous and gives us a glimpse of what that world is about. It effectively did what t was intended to do. Not sure what you expect from a 4 min concept/tech demo.

You do realize that a cornerstone of the genre is an American tweak on a heavy Japanese style right?

When it's done like in Bladerunner, it's fine. In the OP's video, it's a bit too much. I am not against Japanese themes, but I think that it is one of the aspects that diminished the Cyberpunk feeling in the aforementioned video.

No magic in this video, lol all you see in this video is high level of technology, i mean in the end it is shown city is in space with star gate in background.

Cool demo

Also when girl do her string web, she is shown like jorogumo from Japanese folklore

eh it more japanese than cyberpunk... so much soo its campy and cheesy ... and all OP super power stuff. is just lame. I want human stories. this is bound too be some lame hack n slash game. that ive seen produced over and over again.

eh it more japanese than cyberpunk... so much soo its campy and cheesy ... and all OP super power stuff. is just lame. I want human stories. this is bound too be some lame hack n slash game. that ive seen produced over and over again.

Cyberpunk or no, I have seen campy and cheesy in western games over and over again, too. In fact, weren't people calling CP2077's dialogue cheesy after the private audience demo? Also, stories can be "human" (whatever that means) with hack and slash or other types of gameplay without compromising on story or gameplay. Those are not mutually exclusive whatsoever. Nier: Automata is a unique Japanese 'hack and slash' game that has a great story that made people cry.

more human stories. here is what I mean.. I want believable characters, I think normal characters with all there quirks and flaws are more interesting than the stupid im a bad ass superhero trope.. Im sick of the we need something more than Human too save us Narrative. or Im the Mother Fucking Chosen one Jesus complex that most games love to center around. the True strength of the human spirit can only be found in our weaknesses.

Hm for me its looks more like a techdemo.
Also while i like some of the japanese style, this supermodel army in combat lingerie of this games is more annoying for me.

Holy crap, Ive missed this entirely and its been all time here. Definitely see something unique coming, maybe too unique.

Ew.

Its funny how people often talk of 'style' associated with something like this, when there is a near complete lack of individual style.. I'm sure I've seen the same aesthetics back in the early 2000s. The only thing that changes is the presentation technology.

edit: double ew. It was a necro..

Top Bottom