Star Citizen

+
Star Citizen

If there is one game that will match or even surpass Cyberpunk in scope, it's this:

I felt my inner child weeping with joy at this video, because it appears everything is on track- the exploration, the space flight, the FPS elements even looks solid. Roberts is trying to do everything with this game. And since it's PC only, the game will not in any way be held back by parity. We don't have to worry about that in the slightest...although we do have to worry about the kind of hardware required.

*apologies if there's an established SC thread, I didn't see one.

Last edited:
Hmm.

I'm a backer. Of course. <Incline nose 8 degrees.>

The space flight is...okay. Not great, so far. It is very pretty. There's not much more than a very limited space flight module.

Unlike CDPR, Roberts' record is...spotty. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Roberts_(game_developer) Starlancer was his last game. Someone else finished Freelancer, years after he left. He gave us the WIng Commander movie. So, yeah.

It's scope is vast, absolutely. Is it greater than 2077? Hmmm. Depends on the depth of Night City, but cetainly I'd say SC is aiming a lot higher. What chance does it have of meeting those goals and in good order? Really not great.

Let me load into the game right now...ohgod. Another patch. Many gigs in size. I'll check later.

Anyway. Cautiously looking forward to it...some day?

Roberts had more then a dozen offerings. CDPR had two. Also, well CDPR is a whole bunch of people, Roberts (to my knowledge) is but a single man.

As such, the comparaison is a bit unfair, as I can't think of a designer (or studio) that survived for any appreciable length without a single lemons.

I am looking forward to the game in any case, as well as ELITE: Dangerous.

Any case, a living universe is the logical continuation of RPGs. The faster the industry moves in this direction, the better.

Last edited:
I am looking forward to the game in any case, as well as ELITE: Dangerous.

Any case, a living universe is the logical continuation of RPGs. The faster the industry moves in this direction, the better.

Yeah, I almost grabbed ELITE, but I think I'll see how it goes post-release.

Star Citizen can fail in a lot of ways - you maybe don't remember the whole Freelancer debacle back in the day? And let's not talk about the Wing Commander movie.

And Strike Commander...I don't even recall that one. He's only responsible for a few commercial games, really - 4? 5? For Wing Commander that he was primarily responsible for, 2 pre-WC games from back in the day when he first started, Starlancer which was fun but not great. Freelancer which went to near-vapourware and was finished years later by others. Pretty much it.

So, yeah, quite a few misses in there. I played many of those games and they were good to great, but it's been a looooong time. Whereas CDPR is on their game now and haven't had a "Freelancer" scale screw up yet.

More than anything I'm impressed by its scope. They aim to do so much. Around 200 people are on the team, both internally and contractors. I checked out the FPS module, and while the combat looks solid, it's not revolutionary and the team designing it is not that experienced. I suppose the hazard of this project is too much outsourcing. The game could feel disjointed or lack in quality. Anyway, fingers crossed. Tentative release date is 2016, so I'm guessing it's out long before CP '77.

I love the promo vids for their spacecraft:

Last edited:
Yeah, I almost grabbed ELITE, but I think I'll see how it goes post-release.

Star Citizen can fail in a lot of ways - you maybe don't remember the whole Freelancer debacle back in the day? And let's not talk about the Wing Commander movie.

And Strike Commander...I don't even recall that one. He's only responsible for a few commercial games, really - 4? 5? For Wing Commander that he was primarily responsible for, 2 pre-WC games from back in the day when he first started, Starlancer which was fun but not great. Freelancer which went to near-vapourware and was finished years later by others. Pretty much it.

So, yeah, quite a few misses in there. I played many of those games and they were good to great, but it's been a looooong time. Whereas CDPR is on their game now and haven't had a "Freelancer" scale screw up yet.

Eh. I'm not in general a fan of space sims or Roberts so I might get the details wrong.

But in Roberts' defense, for its time, Freelancer was also a lot more ambitious then any other games. It still is today, if you think about it.

It's commendable that the first two Witcher games were a success ---but let's face it, it's been done before. CDPR is not exactly threading new grounds here. Their contribution to the genre is more in the way of artistic tone then really really out-there innovation.

EVERY prior attempts to achieve single player dynamic economies have failed OR they have been HIGHLY abstracted.
That something can and will go wrong in software development goes without saying.

Last edited:
If there's more to it then a trade/economics system, flight simulator, and FPS I may give it a look.
For those that enjoy those types of things ... gratz! Looks good.

I am interested in SC. If they manage to pull this off... well... then I think they might just possibly have one of the best games ever made for this kind of a thing... but again, that is only if they pull it of. They have biten of a very large chunk after all, and we won't know if they will be able to chew it just yet.

I do enjoy space sims/fighters like this, but in general it has only been a select few games that I have liked in it (partly due to not playing everything, and not being interested in certain games etc). The first one for me was Tie-Fighter, I really loved that game and finished it atleast 2 times I think, I never liked the X-Wing games though for some reason. The next game of this nature to pull me in was many years later when I found Freelancer, which is one of the few games I have finished more then 1 time (finished it 2 times, and I sometimes go back and play it every now and then). I really enjoy all of the aspects of Freelancer. And lastly I have played and really liked the various versions of the X3 games in the X-Universe, which I like just due to how much like Freelancer it is (although it is also different on some levels which is a plus also), although I have never finished the main storyline in that game. I did try X-Rebirth, but unfortunatly my computer is just not strong enough for it...

Which is unfortunate, because I know that my computer will not be able to handle neither Elite or SC... which I do want to play both of (including X-Rebirth to of course). So yeah... will see what happends. I think the only really bad thing about SC (and Elite to i belive) is that you basicly will always need to be online (don't know to what extent Elite will need internet, but I recently heard something about it always needing online or something... not looked it up though to find out). And of course with SC you will mostly play amongst other people, multiplayer basicly. I much rather play compleatly solo and against the AI, and not have to deal at all with other people. But that's just me, I never really liked multiplayer or PvP in games really, and I certainly do not like the idea of other people being able to start greiving or PK people, just to be Trolls and in general just try and do what they can to destroy the fun for other people. I am sure you can opt out of a lot of that if you really want to though... but I guess we will have to wait till the game comes out to find out just how much one can opt out and/or in for things like that with SC.

Last edited:
You know all this dogfights mechanics is a bit ridiculous.

In reality, you'd think that by the XXth century the ships would engage at way way beyond line of sight. Also, there's absolutly no sound in space.
To top that, you would think that humanity would have the foresight to use drones rather then individual humans.

Elite:Dangerous sounds like it wants to be a space sim but it's marketed like a space opera.

In reality, you'd think that by the XXth century the ships would engage at way way beyond line of sight. Also, there's absolutly no sound in space.
To top that, you would think that humanity would have the foresight to use drones rather then individual humans.

Dude. None of what you say is inaccurate. In response, I have only this:

ANY game (vice a simulator) is going to have elements included, or excluded, based of making the game fun/interesting to play.

Star Wars worked because it was essentially a story about chivalry first,tech second if not a distant third. And you know it's a movie. The whole focus is on Luke.
And it's certainly not the only space movies.What do you make of the scenes of 2001: a space odyssey for example.

Most MMORPGs fall flat because not everyone can be a hero, it leads to a stale and unbelievable environment.

Last edited:
For all that Star Citizen says it has to offer, I should be interested in it. But for some reason I am not at all.

Instinct of self preservation kicking in perhaps... Like with Far Cry 4, Assassins Creed Black Flag, et al. Knowing that however intriguing it sounds on paper, it won't be that in reality... It just won't. They never are.

I backed it (my wallet cried a bit and I went a bit overboard) and am quite excited for a real space sim instead of the "here wait 3 months before you're useful" and complete lack of fun that I had with EvE. Considering how open they are being with everything and what we've gotten so far, I'm quite impressed and happy with how it's progressing. At this point I'm basically trying to decide which joystick setup I want to get for the game. I really haven't been as excited as I am about SC about any other game other than CP2077 (which I initially learned about from SC's forum) for quite a long time.

I followed Elite: Dangerous as well, and well I just couldn't get into Elite. ED just felt like they forced as much as they could out the door as fast as possible, knowing they would beat SC to market. It has a persistent universe out now, but it's full of half-finished features and to me seemed to lack a lot of the goals that SC is shooting for. Put the crowdfunding records aside, SC is setting goals to be a complete game-changer in video games.

Whether or not they deliver on everything in a timely manner is another issue (I doubt we'll see a real release of anything until early 2017), but if they meet most of the goals they set for themselves SC does promise to be the most immersive and expansive game of all time at this point.

Star Citizen and Squadron 42

To avoid heavy discussions in the general games thread, opening one for Star Citizen.

---------- Updated at 02:17 PM ----------

Here is Chris Robert's original pitch on Kickstarter. Working on finding an up-to-date video or article that summarizes game features...

---------- Updated at 10:17 PM ----------

This is 16 months old, but it's the best one I can find.

Ship Repair and Maintenance

Reminds me again of the unfortunate trend of 'streamlining' or even worse, reducing game mechanics to 'auto-everything' either the general audience deems too tedious and too complicated or the developer thinks the general audience would be incapable or unwilling to learn and adopt anyway.

All the more refreshing to see RSI/CIG not following suit by designing and making a (fairly integral) game mechanic (and surely not just this one) as complex and as intricate as possible.

Last edited:
Reminds me again of the unfortunate trend of 'streamlining' or even worse, reducing game mechanics to 'auto-everything' either the general audience deems too tedious and too complicated or the developer thinks the general audience would be incapable or unwilling to learn and adopt anyway.

Haha. That mainstream didn't know about PlaneShift crafting :)

Top Bottom