Star Citizen

+
Are people here really excited for Star Citizen? I am really skeptical about this game, it just can't deliver on the hype it has from its cult following, it is impossible at this point in my opinion, the demo looked beautiful, but demos weren't really reliable in the last 8 years .

Are people here really excited for Star Citizen? I am really skeptical about this game, it just can't deliver on the hype it has from its cult following, it is impossible at this point in my opinion, the demo looked beautiful, but demos weren't really reliable in the last 8 years .

You're not the only one. I've chosen to observe how it develops but not get hyped about it as most Kickstarters have failed. Caution should definitely be a byword when refering to Star Citizen.

I'm excited, but don't expect it to come out soon.
Pretty much my thoughts. I'm looking forwards to playing the game when it finally releases. But I don't know when that will be, or whether it will fulfill all its promises.

My only expectations are that when it comes out it's polished enough to resemble a finished product, and that Chris's 350 person team with massive amounts of funding won't !@#$ it up completely.

Last edited:
Considering the scope, 350 is not that many. Ubi and Rockstar games have upwards of a 1000 I think. But I do want the game to succeed. It would be an amazing success story and good for the industry.

^^ I don't think it's a problem. Most people probably don't realize this, but Star Citizen's funding has actually been surprisingly consistent.

From Sept 29 - Sept 29th, their income each year has been....

2013 - '14 = $34,846,602
2014 - '15 = $34,314,957
2015 - '16 = $34,921,429

I don't think any of this is by accident, I think it is by design. I think Star Citizen's spaceship sales are carefully planned out to meet this number each year. All this is possible because ships in Star Citizen only go on sale in limited quantities for limited periods of time. They actually have quite a bit of control over their income.

On top of this, I think Chris Roberts will keep developing this game until it meets his expectations or runs out of funding. Honestly, I think that's what his fans want him to do. They were promised a game that would push the limits of PC gaming, and that's what they expect to receive.

Last edited:
does anybody know about Squadron 42 release date so far?
I wish I could tell you, mate. Citizen Con was a disappointment this year. Everyone expected a AAA quality trailer for Squadron 42. Instead all we got was a couple power point slides. Allegedly this was because the demo they had planned wasn't ready in time, but who knows?

Here are the SQ42 slides from the livestream.

Last edited:
I thought they still miss a huge chunk of work - enabling Vulkan in the engine. Until that will happen, nothing will come out I suppose.

youtube.com/watch?v=XuDj5v81Nd0&t=1h18m53s

THAT editor though.

Imagine what modders or even other developers with official licensing ties to those other franchises with 'Star' in the title could do with this tech (IF they were free of the shackles of having to design and develop around inferior and closed off hardware that is).

Also, if some competent and passionate developer could pick up and dust off the license and made an open world/space RPG based on Frank Herbert's Dune with the planetary scale of Star Citizen, that'd be great.

It's worth watching the part of the presentation where they explore a distress beacon on a desert style planet. It's pretty damn impressive.

Here is the gameplay demo re-uploaded in 60 fps.

On the topic of procedural generation, here is a blog post from retired game designer Raph Koster about it. Raph Koster was lead designer on Ultima Online and StarWars Galaxies. Star Citizen uses procedural generation in a similar way as StarWars Galaxies.
http://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/20/swgs-dynamic-world/

---------- Updated at 09:02 PM ----------

That's a long video. Do they say anything about Linux development and plans there?
Sorry, mate. There hasn't been any updates.

---------- Updated at 09:05 PM ----------

Imagine what modders or even other developers with official licensing ties to those other franchises with 'Star' in the title could do with this tech (IF they were free of the shackles of having to design and develop around inferior and closed off hardware that is).
Yeah, I kept thinking, "Man.... I realllllyyy hope someone makes a StarWars mod" the whole time I was watching this. Even if it was just one planet, with lightsabers and other SW mechanics, I would be in love.

Last edited:
Ah, the "Star Citizen": the perfect game development scam. It'll be like No Man's Sky, just on a grand scale, with thousands of people who'll have their dreams shattered. The marketing department feed their victims the cheap ads for which they shear enormous amounts of funding from their sheep just to release another promotion material but not the game. It'll be semi-infinite development cycles until they run out of funding, after which the game will be release for astounding amount of disappointment. It's even possible that the game itself won't be too bad, but because everybody, who invested large sums of their money there, imagine absolutely unrealistic results. It will be a nice cold shower for gullible idiots who bought virtual spaceships for $5000 7-10 years (optimistically) before it was even released.

To each their own. Personally, I don't have a problem with how other people spend their money.

Last edited:
To each their own. Personally, I don't have a problem with how other people spend their money.
If you like to be a dupe, nobody can stop you, I guess. The problem is that in Ponzi schemes the dupes are actively trying to involve other people in the fraud scheme.

Yeah... it really sucks that marketing is allowed in free, capitalistic societies.
This is the most idiotic excuse so far. Marketing is a tool for promoting something, therefore the context of its use is everything. Try to market cocaine and we'll see how fast your freedom of marketing will end in free capitalistic societies. Owning an hammer is not a crime too but if you vandalize someone's car with it, then it becomes a tool of a crime.

Top Bottom