Star Citizen

+
@Maerd Exactly! Marketing is only illegal when the product being sold is illegal. So why do you think Star Citizen should be illegal? Especially since 99.9% of Star Citizen backers are adult males over 21?

Last edited:
There's a law that covers this case.

Quote: "Product liability occurs when the manufacturer or seller of a defective product allows that defective product to get into the hands of a consumer, when a manufacturer or seller misrepresents a product, that misrepresentation can be the basis for a product liability action. In the product liability context, misrepresentation occurs when product advertising, packaging, labels, or other product information available to consumers misrepresent material facts concerning the quality or use of the product.

Some examples of how misrepresentation can lead to product liability are as follows:

• When a product salesperson overstates what the product can do, the safety of the product, or what the product can be used for.
  • When product information fails to warn of risks of the product.
  • When product information fails to list some ingredients of a product.
Misrepresentation in product liability can be either negligent or intentional."

There's a law that covers this case.

Quote: "Product liability occurs when the manufacturer or seller of a defective product allows that defective product to get into the hands of a consumer, when a manufacturer or seller misrepresents a product, that misrepresentation can be the basis for a product liability action. In the product liability context, misrepresentation occurs when product advertising, packaging, labels, or other product information available to consumers misrepresent material facts concerning the quality or use of the product.

Some examples of how misrepresentation can lead to product liability are as follows:

• When a product salesperson overstates what the product can do, the safety of the product, or what the product can be used for.
  • When product information fails to warn of risks of the product.
  • When product information fails to list some ingredients of a product.
Misrepresentation in product liability can be either negligent or intentional."
Well, at this point it is debatable whether Star Citizen has overstated what the product can do. It's hard to say when the product isn't out yet. And it sure is impressive what the devs have accomplished so far. Whether you realize it or not, there are literally things in the Star Citizen alpha - as it stands right now - that do not exist in any other video-game available right now. I've done things in the Star Citizen alpha that I literally cannot do in any other game.

I'm not a lawyer, but it is hard to say whether Star Citizen is liable. Early Access games are certainly a grey area when it comes to the law. How many features does Star Citizen need to be missing to be liable? Is it still liable those features are added after launch? How many years after launch? Etc.

Either way, one thing I will never understand is why anyone would want Star Citizen to fail. To be skeptical of the game? Sure. But to want it to fail? That is different. A game like Star Citizen would literally never be made if it was pitched to publishers. And Star Citizen has to get funding somehow. Who cares if it's funded by adult males who spend $200 on virtual spaceships? PC gamers are accustomed to spending far more than that on their hobby.

My stance has always been a skeptical one, but we have to wait and see what they deliver. I wouldn't even begin to compare this to No Man's Lie though. Roberts has clearly been way more forthcoming than those douchebags.

Well, at this point it is debatable whether Star Citizen has overstated what the product can do. It's hard to say when the product isn't out yet.
Which is why the game won't be out in the near future. If they realize that they won't make the features they declared they can just declare bankruptcy if there will be any law suits against them. Since the company, which produces Star Citizen doesn't have any assets besides investment money, they can safely go bankrupt because they have nothing to loose.

And it sure is impressive what the devs have accomplished so far.
The only impressive thing I saw is the amount of money Roberts collected from naive dupes. While the ads are nice, they are just ads.

Look at the video "Procedural planets V2" you posted and think a little bit deeper than the first glance pretty picture:
1. Did they show how planets are procedurally generated? No, they showed only one planet, where you cannot tell whether different planets will be any different and how different they can be. What would have been a proper demo for procedural generation? A glide over a hundred of planets that were generated to show that there are enough variety of features. May be it won't be as pretty but it will be a real demo, not a marketing bait.
2. Look at what happens on the surface. Is everything there procedurally generated? No. The hint is the guy with a flag on top of the mountain. Is he a part of random set? If yes then you'll have numerous planets with a same guy on the top of the mountain with a flag... It will be even more ridiculous. Is the spacecraft crash is procedurally generated? No. You'll have exactly the same broken ships all with computers straight out of 1970s all over the universe? Likely yes.
3. The sand worm from Dune and an ambush are definitely scripted just for the show.
4. Note that all the trees are exactly the same. That's definitely generated but I don't find it impressive.

And no, I don't want it to fail. I just despise scams and con artists. And don't tell me about spending a lot of money on hobbies. There's a difference between spending on a hobby and giving money to swindlers. If they will finish it delivering everything they promised, such event shouldn't be overstated because they owe their crowdfunding investors, then good for them, but I highly doubt so at this time.

So, what's impressive there that took 4 years to make?

Just for comparison. Here's what ONE man can do in 5 years FOR FREE (and he also has a regular paid job too, so he didn't work on this full time). It's not a game, it's just a universe simulator but it's fucking epic, even in unfinished state. You can visit every planet or moon near any star in any galaxy in the universe... now that's impressive.

And you can try it NOW. Go download it. And if you like it and have a few grand to waste on space games donate some of your money there, because it's definitely not a scam and imho that guy totally deserves that.

I get your point, but is this comparison relevant though? To me it's like comparing GTA and google maps with 3D buildings.

I think it's quite relevant.
1. Star Citizen must have procedurally generated universe, which can be made up. They don't have it. Space Engine not only has procedurally generated universe but the known stars and planets are modeled precisely as they should be.
2. Star Citizen must have a feature to go from space to planets. Space Engine has the same feature but you can actually download a software and do it now. Can you do it in current Star Citizen besides the advertisement video?
3. Space in Space Engine has more features than space in Star Citizen as of today.
4. Space Engine already supports various VR devices.
5. Space Engine is in development by one man with the budget of ~$50k made of donations working in free time while working on a regular job. Star Citizen is in development by a company with hundreds of employees with the budget $128,000k+ (it's got $2,300k just this month).

And no, Space Engine is not Google Maps because there are 1100 of full-time employees, and ~6000 contractors are working on Google Maps (according to Google).

So, what's impressive there that took 4 years to make?
I'll tell you. The Star Citizen alpha - as it exists right now - has two features that literally no other video-game available right now has. And those features are multicrew spaceships and physicalized EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity).

For whatever reason, creating an MMO with multiple fields of gravity (spaceships) traveling through it, with players freely walking on those field of gravity (as opposed to being locked into your seat) is difficult to code. That's why other spacesims like Elite: Dangerous have not done it. They only have one-man spaceships.

I don't know whether EVA is difficult to code. All it is is the ability to exit your spaceship mid-flight, fly around space with a jetpack, and then return to your ship. Sounds simple, but no other game has done it.

I'll tell you about an experience I had in the alpha that combines these two features.

I was doing one of Star Citizen fetch quests, when I noticed a 60 meter long cruiser spinning through space. It appeared to have been abandoned by its owner, and it was heavily damaged. With a spacepirate battle raging around me, I exited my ship and began to EVA towards the derelict cruiser. I like to imagine this song was playing as I was doing this. I entered the spinning ship through the airlock. The ships gravity strapped me to the floor, and I walked through the ship to the captains chair and strapped in. I struggled to correct the ships spin with the heavily damaged maneuvering thrusters, and aimed it at a warp point. Just as I was spooling up my warp drive to get out of there I accidentally exited my seat. So I had to do it again. I waited anxiously for the lengthy enter/exit animation to finish, and then before I could warp again an NPC pirate finished off the already heavily damaged cruiser. BOOM!

That's a gameplay experience that you literally cannot have in any other video-game on the market right now, or scheduled to come out, and I had it in Star Citizen's alpha as it exists today..

Last edited:
I'll tell you about an experience I had in the alpha that combines these two features.
Provide the link to the footage of this, please... Otherwise it's hard to say where the real experience is and where your imagination starts.

And those features are multicrew spaceships and physicalized EVA (Extra Vehicular Activity)
I don't know about multicrew and how it suppose to work there but EVA is nothing special. It's essentially like getting into/out of a car in GTA. Some games allow you to fly a plane, drive a tank and/or a boat and walk around and shoot in the same game. Such games existed even 7 years ago.

For whatever reason, creating an MMO with multiple fields of gravity (spaceships) traveling through it, with players freely walking on those field of gravity (as opposed to being locked into your seat) is difficult to code. That's why other spacesims like Elite: Dangerous have not done it.
What you say about gravity doesn't make any sense. If you want artificial gravity then such games were made before. There was a shooter in about 2006-2007 about a native American guy kidnapped by aliens (forgot the name of the game). There were artificial gravity zones on the alien ship where you could have your enemies walking on the ceiling or on the side wall and if you jump you can fall on the ceiling and walk line it's a floor (that was pretty brain twisting). So, in any case, nothing extraordinary in that feature, it was done before.
Considering Elite: Dangerous, while it's a boring game, it exists and playable in comparison to Star Citizen.

Last edited:
You're right to be skeptical, but your comparisons (Space Engine or No Man's Sky) are off-topic and unconvincing.
Space Engine is not even a game (I don't give a fuck about "money" and "number of developers", all that matters to me is what I feel when I play it); the promises No Man's Sky didn't even kept weren't exciting (to me). Unlike Star Citizen, the game wasn't playable before release, in any state.
Space Engine is amazing (thank you) but it's not meant to be played, nor played for 100+ hours.

I don't know, I've played the alpha and experienced it myself as something that I found promising and/or at least interesting. I'm not waiting for the messiah, but if it's immersive and not repetitive, it might be enough for me, if it's ever released of course (and it will).

I'm personally fine with """"pre-ordering"""" the game by funding/supporting it (and supporting crowdfunding too) with a game value (30-90$). I guess I'm an idiot if I'm not impatient.

Last edited:
Provide the link to the footage of this, please... Otherwise it's hard to say where the real experience is and where your imagination starts.
Yeah... it's too bad there isn't a website where you can watch videos of people playing Star Citizen. Oh wait.

Better yet, why not download Star Citizen during a free weekend and play it yourself? You can have a gameplay experience just like the one I had! :D

I don't know about multicrew and how it suppose to work there but EVA is nothing special. It's essentially like getting into/out of a car in GTA. Some games allow you to fly a plane, drive a tank and/or a boat and walk around and shoot in the same game. Such games existed even 7 years ago.

What you say about gravity doesn't make any sense. If you want artificial gravity then such games were made before. There was a shooter in about 2006-2007 about a native American guy kidnapped by aliens (forgot the name of the game). There were artificial gravity zones on the alien ship where you could have your enemies walking on the ceiling or on the side wall and if you jump you can fall on the ceiling and walk line it's a floor (that was pretty brain twisting). So, in any case, nothing extraordinary in that feature, it was done before.
Well, if you don't see any difference between those games and Star Citizen, then I guess when Star Citizen comes out and kicks ass you can go back and play those games while the rest of us are having fun playing Star Citizen.

Getting back on topic. If you really are so bothered by adult males donating money to a video-game, you can always join the online hate group against Sandi Gardiner. She is Chris Robert's wife and the marketing director for Star Citizen. She is the REAL brains behind Star Citizen's success. Instead of arguing with random Star Citizen backers, why not attack Star Citizen's funding at its source and lobby targeted hate towards her?

---------- Updated at 01:12 PM ----------

I'm personally fine with """"pre-ordering"""" the game by funding/supporting it (and supporting crowdfunding too) with a game value (30-90$). I guess I'm an idiot if I'm not impatient.
Yeah, this is how I justified backing the game. I said I was "pre-ordering" it for less than it will cost on launch. Then I went ahead and dropped a lot of $$$ on a spaceship. Whoops. :crazy:

Last edited:
Space Engine is not even a game (I don't give a fuck about "money" and "number of developers", all that matters to me is what I feel when I play it);
The example was not to show that Space Engine is somehow a better "game", when it's not a game, but to compare the amount of work that could have been done in 4 years by one person in comparison to what have been done in roughly the same amount of time in Star Citizen. That's fair comparison of productivity.

the promises No Man's Sky didn't even kept weren't exciting (to me).
It doesn't matter how exciting are broken promises. The important part is the fact that developer intentionally lied to increase sales.

I'm not waiting for the messiah, but if it's immersive and not repetitive, it might be enough for me, if it's ever released of course
This attitude is reasonable. In comparison to this unreasonable attitude (below):
when Star Citizen comes out and kicks ass you can go back and play those games while the rest of us are having fun playing Star Citizen.
Like something stops me from buying the game when it's released, even though I'm not interested in any multi-player games. The only game I would be interested in is a single player variant.

When Squadron 42 was announced I thought of donating the minimal amount but then after checking what they promise I realized that they promise every possible game you might like like a typical confidence scam. If you like FPS they say this game will be the FPS, but if you like TPS then the game will be also TPS. If you like space sims then it will be a space sim, if you like story driven games it will be also a story driven. If you like multiplayer it will be multiplayer, if you like single player then it will be also single player. Just give them money and all your dreams will be fulfilled.

Sure, $30 "pre-ordering" would be totally fine, $90 is already debatable because it's more than a cost of most released games. The main concern is not in the pre-ordering itself. The problem with Star Citizen is its marketing campaign that has striking similarities to a confidence scam. And "backers" who look more like missionaries, fanatically trying to involve other people in the "pre-ordering", which has a striking similarity to a religious cult. And behavior/justifications of people who spent lots of money on the virtual ships also strikingly similar to that of people who gave up large sums of their money to a religious cult.

Yeah... it's too bad there isn't a website where you can watch videos of people playing Star Citizen. Oh wait.
The first video in that list is some gamer fapping on the ship model followed by some gameplay full of bugs, visible glitches, and long and unexciting gameplay for more than an hour.

Last edited:
Like something stops me from buying the game when it's released
Then what's your problem? Quit bitching and wait for the game to come out, just like everyone else. If it's a flop, it's a flop. If it's not, it' not. No point in playing doomsday prophet now.

When Squadron 42 was announced I thought of donating the minimal amount but then after checking what they promise I realized that they promise every possible game you might like like a typical confidence scam. If you like FPS they say this game will be the FPS, but if you like TPS then the game will be also TPS. If you like space sims then it will be a space sim, if you like story driven games it will be also a story driven. If you like multiplayer it will be multiplayer, if you like single player then it will be also single player. Just give them money and all your dreams will be fulfilled.
I dunno man, seemed like a pretty reasonable vision to me, given that Chris Roberts has literally made the exact same game several times before. Only this time he's adding a few extra features. Namely that it's first-person, and that it's an MMO. In fact, a game designer who worked with Chris in the 90's said Star Citizen is the exact same game Chris wanted to make back then, but the technology to do so wasn't available yet.

And "backers" who look more like missionaries, fanatically trying to involve other people in the "pre-ordering", which has a striking similarity to a religious cult. And behavior/justifications of people who spent lots of money on the virtual ships also strikingly similar to that of people who gave up large sums of their money to a religious cult.
I've literally never seen a Star Citizen fan trying to recruit someone else to backing the game - aggressively or otherwise. By contrast, I see a lot of people trolling SC fans in comment sections. You know most websites have a "hide comment" or "block user" button? That's what I usually use when dealing with a troll. By contrast - to me, going to other websites and bitching about Star Citizen fans seems a lot more fucked up than trolling in the first place.

Again - what is it about a bunch of adult males donating money to a video-game that bothers you so much in the first place? You don't have to listen to them. You don't even have to listen to me right now. You can use CDPR's "block user" button if it pisses you off so much.

I like to think when you wake up in the morning, you look in the mirror, growl and say, "Good Lord, what have those Star Citizen fans done today!!! :angry: " And when you go to bed at night you cry yourself to sleep because you couldn't change everyone else's minds about the game. Don't worry! There is always tomorrow :)

The first video in that list is some gamer fapping on the ship model followed by some gameplay full of bugs, visible glitches, and long and unexciting gameplay for more than an hour.
And you watched the WHOLE thing?? My goodness, how pitiful. Did you watch any other SC videos on youtube? There are thousands you know... (and yes, the game is buggy - given that it's in alpha state)

Last edited:
Then what's your problem? Quit bitching and wait for the game to come out, just like everyone else. If it's a flop, it's a flop. If it's not, it' not. No point in playing doomsday prophet now.
I don't have any problem. I expressed my views on the Star Citizen that it is a scam. If you don't like it, it's your problem, not mine.

Chris Roberts has literally made the exact same game several times before
Now you resort to lies? Not very nice. His previous games were way simpler than what he proposes now.

I've literally never seen a Star Citizen fan trying to recruit someone else to backing the game - aggressively or otherwise.
You must be not using Internet much. How sad.

I see a lot of people trolling SC fans in comment sections.
Oh my, did you just found out that there are trolls on the Internet? I guess you will be very surprised that there are trolls that attack anything that can possibly exist on the Internet. Who cares.

going to other websites and bitching about Star Citizen fans seems a lot more fucked up than trolling in the first place.
So, why exactly you are sitting here, not on the Star Citizen forum, and bitching about somebody disagreeing with you?

And you watched the WHOLE thing?? My goodness, how pitiful.
Five minutes is enough to skim though the video and get an impression, my pitiful friend. I have more interesting things to do in my life than watching every Star Citizen video that appears.

All right, let's take a few steps back and some fresh air and come back once negative emotions fade away.

Top Bottom