Star Wars

+
The movie was very well directed, very well acted, and had some very good effects.

But the writer should be fired. It nearly mirrored the first movie TO A TEE without having any of the same magic the first one did. Most of the characters were garbage and had no real tangible effect on the plot in anyway. (Exceptions to this are Rey and Kylo Ren)

Bad characters:

-The First Order ginger general is just a shittier limp dick Tarkeen who does nothing to move the plot forward.

-Fin's defining moral decision happened at the very beginning with almost no context and seemed to have come out of no where. From that point on he basically just runs away from things until Rey gets taken then for some reason he starts caring again.

-Han and Leia lost all the character development they had in the original trilogy, and devolved into their characters from the first movie, except old

-Po Dameron is a dumb super man character who has no real struggle in the entire movie, and then disappears for the whole movie before appearing at the end as a Deus Ex Machina stand in for Luke

-The Centurian Stormtrooper commander was an AWESOME character! I was so excited to see her hunt Fin throughout the series, but then they throw her away as a useless hostage who is over powered by Fin! SHE WAS AN AWESOME CHARACTER THAT WAS LITERALLY THROWN IN THE TRASH!

I'd like to see Watt the Shopkeeper,,new Hutt Clan like in Clone Wars,Boba Fett and Lando Carlissian in Episode VIII.George Lucas planned to replace Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader nemesis with Jar Jar Binks.

I'm sorry but I totally hated Jar Jar. Probably the absolute worst thing ever done to Star Wars.

Do you think what if Star Wars Episode I Phantom Manace was made in 70's?Could then Star Wars Episode VII(????)be from George Lucas mind look not look of J.J.Abrams The Force Awakens?

Nah, George had a whole different story in mind. He talks about it in interviews and the books are out there.

He was actually not happy with how the new movie turned out.

the new movie was essentially a soul-less cash in on the nostalgia crowd. it rehashed and remixed all the general theme, plot elements, and characters that made the first film a success, but with no original story of its own to tell, and with little of the emotional impact that derives from proper editing, direction, dialog, context, and world building. when will hollywood smarten up and relegate jj abrams to a cinematographer role. he sucks at writing and directing far worse than lucas ever was. but i guess that's too late now since he already made a name and earned money for them making fair to midling cgi fests

Well, I`ve seen it. :p Took my nephew with me, and HE HAD a great time. I think for a kid it's an OK movie, fut seeing it as a "love letter" for the fans, which AFAIK was the idea it was kind of pathetic. I agree with andrew, some posts above.

STAR WARS was always "lighthearted" and very shaky on the plot and character motivation, but this felt like one of Lucas's son made a fanfiction movie from Skywalker Ranch.

I see the difficulties that the movie had to take on, but the writing was really terrible. All main new characters are really paper thin, and the pacing of the movie is really too fast and depends on the audience to fill the blanks and dont mind the motivation of the characters, that seem to be all over the place.

Only thing I really enjoyed was seeing the young girl kicking ass, although I would ve prefered if they made her a little less super-force-knowledgeable, which doesn make sense.

Getting rid of the green screen also was a good idea. The movie feels very "real", the problem comes when the characters open their mouth. :p

Harrison Ford cant act as an action hero anymore... the man has more than 70 years old, he cant even run in a belivable way!!! But the fans wanted him back, sooo youre welcome. :p

Last edited:
Managed to get a good seat, for the earliest screening (2pm), on opening day here (2 days befor it opened in North America ;) ).

And I like it, I enjoyed my time with it compleatly.

Sure there are things which I am a bit uncertain about, things I feel they could have done differently, etc. But even though that I still enjoyed the entire movie.

Is it better then all of the originals? Of course not... or at the very least probably not (need more time and more viewings)... but it did not have to be. It just had to be at the very least a "good" Star Wars movie... and it is... in my opinion atleast. I feel sorry for people who can not enjoy a film because it happend to not be as good as the previous movies in a series.

I have not yet compleatly decided where I want to place VII amongst the others though, I need to see it more times, and I need to see the remaining two in this new triology befor I would compleatly like to give my judgement as well.

It is better then the prequels, that I do feel... but at the same time I am not someone who hates the prequel, I think they are at the very least ok, and I do like them, and that each movie that came out was better then the previous one. There are things I don't really like about the prequels of course... nr 1 being Jar-Jar, obviously... and second being the young kid who played Anakin, and the third being something like half of the acting that Christensen did. I have always thought of the prequels as "Star Wars Lite/75%".

But... as I said I do like them... and I have no problems with watching them... in fact... every singe time I have felt like watching Star Wars during the last 10 or so years, I have watched all 6 movies in chronological order. Because I just can't jump in right in the middle of the story, pull out episode 5 and just watch that one... I HAVE TO watch all of them... and in a few years that will also include the 3 new Skywalker based movies... and will probably also include the side movies as well, where I probably will be watching all the SW movies in chronological order... so I will probably watch Rogue One between Ep3 and Ep4 from that moment on.

Anyway... there was only one thing with the movie which was bugging me a lot... but that was not anything with the movie it's self, per say... but rather with the fact that it was 3D. I had somehow compleatly missed that the viewing I was going to would be in 3D. It is only the second movie I have seen in 3D, but I instantly knew I did not like 3D when I saw it the first time with the Hobbit 2. To me 3D just tends to get in the way for me... in the sence that it is to "obvious" for me. I "see" the 3D to much basicly... I am instantly aware of that something is being shown to me in 3D... it compleatly pulls my eyes just like how bad greenscreen stuff does. Even "good 3D" does that. Because the edges around the images they use to create the 3D effects are really distinct and "visible", just like how the edges of bad greenscreen is very noticable. I basicly see the "mechanics" behind the 3D to much... at times I felt my self go "3D there, there, and there... background 1 on the 5th layer, background 2 on the 4th layer, actor 1 on the 3rd layer, actor 2 on the 2nd layer... and a few twigs and stuff sticking into the screen on layer 1... to create the illusion of 3D". So due to that, that it does tend to pull my attention away from the movie its self... I find it to be bad and annoying most of the time. The only time I really liked the 3D effect that I saw in SWVII, was when we got a frontal shot of one of the Star Destroyers... other then that it was just more annoying then anything else. Hopefully I will be able to afford watching it again in the cinema with none 3D... but chances are I will have to wait till the Blu-ray comes out.

Anyway... time for bed... 3:30 am right now. :p

Yeah, not really a fan of 3D myself.
It's OK, but really it's just one more special effect like CGI that's far to often used in the hopes everyone will be so excited by it they will fail to notice the basic movie sux.

I mean 3D movies have been around since I was a kid (back in the stone age) and have never been more then a curiosity.

I mean 3D movies have been around since I was a kid (back in the stone age) and have never been more then a curiosity.

I appreciated it one time, when the Star Destroyer bow was almost in my face. That was cool.

The rest, meh. Glasses aren't worth the effect. Plan to see it next time in 2D.

Nothing to be sorry about, we're all more comfortable with our native language. But we have a very international crowd here so to make everyones life easy using the commonly accepted international language makes sense.

Top Bottom