Starfield! Spaaaaaaace...ladders.

+
I'd argue that's a bit of an "issue" with the game - there is no indication of what would be "end-game" content.

Kind of like advanced ship building. It's largely viewed as a high level activity because it requires a lot of mats and some of the ship modules require a lot of research that further requires a ton of resources. Resources which will be fairly hard to acquire without other complimentary skills that are at the same "end-game" level.

We, as players, tend to beeline to what we want and it causes this issue of having various tiers of skills.

In your case, you have a ship that's more of a mid-game ship and mid-game amount of resources but your outpost development skills are early game level. Leading you to this situation. I was in a very similar situation myself and even a single point into oupost development and associated research changed things massively.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't push you much towards outpost building so it's hard to realize what this disparity in skill levels leads to until it's a bit too late
Except if there are building parts that I'm not aware of, outpost are great to make factories or to product stuffs, but not to make main bases. The storage is simply too small... As far as I know, the biggest ones have 300kg of maximum weight, which is ridiculously small.

What I would like (I'm pretty sure modders will do it^^), it's one single storage for each type of crafting materials (organic, non-organic, gases, fabricated), which you can build only one of each per colony and which can store a huge amount of items (maybe no "infinite", but huge). These storages would be linked to the colony buildings to use with the work stations, but not to the factories/resources production (to avoid cheated production).

In short, pretty much the system of Fallout 4, in which you can drop in the workbench as many items as you want without bothering, then accessing them easily on the work stations.

So I'll build colonies to product stuffs if I need, but as long as I'm not able to build a ship with an enormous storage (I means, more than 15/20.000kg), my "main base" in which I'll ba able to store my stuff, will remain in constellation HQ :(

Except if there are building parts that I'm not aware of, outpost are great to make factories or to product stuffs, but not to make main bases. The storage is simply too small... As far as I know, the biggest ones have 300kg of maximum weight, which is ridiculously small.

What I would like (I'm pretty sure modders will do it^^), it's one single storage for each type of crafting materials (organic, non-organic, gases, fabricated), which you can build only one of each per colony and which can store a huge amount of items (maybe no "infinite", but huge). These storages would be linked to the colony buildings to use with the work stations, but not to the factories/resources production (to avoid cheated production).

In short, pretty much the system of Fallout 4, in which you can drop in the workbench as many items as you want without bothering, then accessing them easily on the work stations.

So I'll build colonies to product stuffs if I need, but as long as I'm not able to build a ship with an enormous storage (I means, more than 15/20.000kg), my "main base" in which I'll ba able to store my stuff, will remain in constellation HQ :(

I see where you're coming from.

I personally hated FO4's workbenches. They almost always ended being absolutely convoluted messes.

For example, I have a few production outposts and one storage outpost. Which, I guess, you could call my main. Everything from the production outpost gets sent automatically to my storage outpost and through output links, it gets redistributed to the various storage.

Yes, it's essentially a space warehouse and part of it looks exactly like what you would expect of a wharehouse. But there is also a fancy schmancy "house" there with all the crafting and some more extra storage for everything that's not resources.

It works well.

I personally hated FO4's workbenches. They almost always ended being absolutely convoluted messes.
It depends. I'm quite organized, so I only put crafting materials and junk to dismantle into workbench. For the rest like weapons, foods, armors, mods, medicine/drugd, books... I built rooms with little storage container.
So it was pretty clean :)
Post automatically merged:

I totally understand why they fix a limit to storages linked to the extractors/collectors, but I find weird to fix a limit to any other containers when there are so much items to loot/collect in the game :)

Last edited:
It depends. I'm quite organized, so I only put crafting materials and junk to dismantle into workbench. For the rest like weapons, foods, armors, mods, medicine/drugd, books... I built rooms with little storage container.
So it was pretty clean :)

I totally understand why they fix a limit to storages linked to the extractors/collectors, but I find weird to fix a limit to any other containers when there are so much items to loot/collect in the game :)

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm the same but I hate the act of having to go from one container to another to drop stuff. It's enough I have to do it to pick up stuff. That's why the first mod I made for myself with both FO4 and Skyrim was an auto-sorter :LOL:. I keep things neat, tidy and compartmentalized.

With that said, I do find the limit a tad small but I absolutely hate infinite storage. It breaks immersion greatly for me to have this tiny box that can magically hold a billion items. Like 500Kg to 1 000Kg would be perfectly fine in my opinion. There isn't really any reason to accumulate 100 000Kg of stuff. At some point it's just hoarding with no plan on using any of it. Which I guess is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in Bethesda games.

Not to mention that you lose all of it in NG+ and everyone definitely needs to play around with NG+. That is one thing I did not expect out of Bethesda, they have actually made NG+ interesting.

With that said, I do find the limit a tad small but I absolutely hate infinite storage. It breaks immersion greatly for me to have this tiny box that can magically hold a billion items. Like 500Kg to 1 000Kg would be perfectly fine in my opinion. There isn't really any reason to accumulate 100 000Kg of stuff. At some point it's just hoarding with no plan on using any of it. Which I guess is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in Bethesda games.

Not to mention that you lose all of it in NG+ and everyone definitely needs to play around with NG+. That is one thing I did not expect out of Bethesda, they have actually made NG+ interesting.
Yep, 1000kg would be nice :)
I'll try NG+, but I'm not sure if I'll manage to finish the story before Phantom Liberty release. I mean, 20 days remaining, It doesn't seem to be enough, knowing how I currently play.

Speaking of stuff, Sarah make me laugh all day long...
She's so piss off about me looting like crazy all the time. She always have a coment to do like:
- Come on, let this garbage!
- Ok, so at this point, you really need to redefine your priorities!
- Seriously? You don't already carry enough stuff, you want even more!

It's so good :ROFLMAO:

On another subjet, musics in the game are awesome... I really love Mars/Cydonia ambiant music, I don't know why, it remind me The Acsent :love:

:cool:

Last edited:
I'd argue that's a bit of an "issue" with the game - there is no indication of what would be "end-game" content.

Kind of like advanced ship building. It's largely viewed as a high level activity because it requires a lot of mats and some of the ship modules require a lot of research that further requires a ton of resources. Resources which will be fairly hard to acquire without other complimentary skills that are at the same "end-game" level.

We, as players, tend to beeline to what we want and it causes this issue of having various tiers of skills.

In your case, you have a ship that's more of a mid-game ship and mid-game amount of resources but your outpost development skills are early game level. Leading you to this situation. I was in a very similar situation myself and even a single point into oupost development and associated research changed things massively.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't push you much towards outpost building so it's hard to realize what this disparity in skill levels leads to until it's a bit too late
I finally had a couple of hours this evening to start playing around with the outpost system. It's a lot more advanced than what they tried to do in Fallout 4, but it's also really rough. That's made worse by the fact that pretty much nothing about it is explained in the game. In 6 months, I think the outpost aspect of the game will be phenomenal, because the elements of it are present. However, it's going to need mods. Given what modders accomplished in FO4 with the settlement system, I anticipate some really cool outpost related stuff in this game.

On a tangentially related note, I've been pondering mods for the game. PC mods are already running wild even without the updated creation kit. But I wonder if Bethesda/Microsoft have said anything about mods for the Xbox. Bethesda tried console mods in their last game, and they were pretty successful on the Xbox. Sony threw a fit about allowing user mods, so the whole console mod thing got something of a wet blanket thrown over it. That's not an issue with Starfield, because MS shot the middle finger at Sony with the game.

Ok, I give up building outpost... The storage is so "garbage" :(
I mean, seriously, only 150kg for a giant outdoor container?
I fill up my ship with 2000kg of resources simply for my first trip... it was just to build and not even an half of what I had... So I will return to the lodge which have two infinite storage, disappointing o_O

Edit : I just check, I already have more than 7500kg of crafting components in the "tiny" crate on the lodge... So I would need at least (at minimum) to build 50 various containers to only transfert what I have, without any room to add more :(
I'm not too proud to admit it. Within the first few hours of the game, the console command "player.modav carryweight 2000" made its way into my game.

The best part of Starfield is that Steam was willing to refund me even after I played for 10+ hours. <3

The best part of Starfield is that Steam was willing to refund me even after I played for 10+ hours. <3
Ive seen ppl with 24 h played getting a refund. The game isent really for everone i guess and it has been a controversal game apperantly. Im hoping for DLSS implementation (tested the mod and gained over 30 fps with dlss 3, but its crashing) and mod tools soon..

Can't read this thread as I am completely spoiler and hype 3 free and intend to remain so until at least the first playthrough is over

playing on a 3060, i5-10500 I think, no mods (so no DLSS) settings on high because that's what I set it at at the start, game runs fine and more than playable. Don't know what my fps is but I can turn without tearing and everything looks smooth and very playable without any lag feeling in input responses

Really enjoying the game, choose a xenobiologist and I'm feeling the role so far and getting my juice flowing

I went in expecting fallout4 in space and I am more than pleasantly surprised that it exceeded my expectations

Love huge space games, like Independence War (yes the original!), IW2, Elite: Dangerous... then I kind of went Meh at Starfield

... it has a $100 steam launch price here.
*goes back to E:D*

Yep, 1000kg would be nice :)
I'll try NG+, but I'm not sure if I'll manage to finish the story before Phantom Liberty release. I mean, 20 days remaining, It doesn't seem to be enough, knowing how I currently play.

Speaking of stuff, Sarah make me laugh all day long...
She's so piss off about me looting like crazy all the time. She always have a coment to do like:
- Come on, let this garbage!
- Ok, so at this point, you really need to redefine your priorities!
- Seriously? You don't already carry enough stuff, you want even more!

It's so good :ROFLMAO:

On another subjet, musics in the game are awesome... I really love Mars/Cydonia ambiant music, I don't know why, it remind me The Acsent :love:

:cool:

Yes, your companions are judgmental bastards. I'm hoarding shit. Stop commenting. Making me feel guilty for picking up a half eaten sandwich. Unbelievable.

Also yes on the music score. I was pleasantly surprised. There are some terrific pieces in there.

On a tangentially related note, I've been pondering mods for the game. PC mods are already running wild even without the updated creation kit. But I wonder if Bethesda/Microsoft have said anything about mods for the Xbox. Bethesda tried console mods in their last game, and they were pretty successful on the Xbox. Sony threw a fit about allowing user mods, so the whole console mod thing got something of a wet blanket thrown over it. That's not an issue with Starfield, because MS shot the middle finger at Sony with the game.

Hines already said that mods will be coming to Xbox.

"You'll be able to use mods both on PC and Xbox" said Hines, and while no timeline has been given for this, it's likely as the legwork has already been done in Skyrim that it shouldn't take quite as long.

Part of me thinks it will be a while before they hit consoles though. Largely because the game, as it is, apparently can only run at 30FPS at it's current levels of graphical fidelity.... If you throw in mods, what will it be like?

Now I admit I have no clue the kind of mods that were available to consoles for Skyrim and FO4. I know they were not as extensive as what you could get on PC but that's about all I know. Are graphical overhaul even a thing on console? Optimizers? Was it limited to new weapons?

I'm thinking that if it comes out, it will likely be limited to the series X too?

They haven't said much.

Last edited:
To be fair, 10hrs in Starfield mean you almost didn't play at all :)

This is one of the things I have had people tell me that just blows me away.

Ten hours is a lot of time. And this is coming from someone who has sunk a lot of time into some games. Recently I dropped 200+ hours into Baldur's Gate 3... which is a huge game (and in my opinion is 100x the game and made with 100x the passion of something like Starfield - basic side quests in it are far more interesting than even the main story in Starfield). But I didn't have people coming back to tell me "Well look, you would have enjoyed BG3 if you just kept playing for like... 25 hours! That is when it really gets good and opens up".

Pro tip for game developers - if it takes 10+ hours for someone to "get into your game" or "for it to really start to get good"... then you messed something up. You messed up really, really... really, really, really bad.

I have also heard people say "lol - u just need to know what to expect out of Bethesda!". As someone who has 250+ hours in Fallout 3, 100+ hours in Skyrim and 150+ hours in Fallout 4... I strongly disagree.

Starfield is more on the level of Fallout 76 than their other offerings. So I know what to expect from Bethesda moving forward - soulless garbage.

Ive seen ppl with 24 h played getting a refund. The game isent really for everone i guess and it has been a controversal game apperantly. Im hoping for DLSS implementation (tested the mod and gained over 30 fps with dlss 3, but its crashing) and mod tools soon..

I think it is great when gamers get something they really enjoy and it seems like a lot of people are really enjoying Starfield - so that is awesome for you guys!

It is one of those games for me where I see the 9 or 10 out of 10 reviews and horde of people saying is amazing and I say to myself... how can anyone possibly like this game? Or at least - how can anyone think it is a 9 or 10 out of 10 game?

As an example - I do not like Souls games. Didn't like Dark Souls, didn't like Elden Ring. But when I played those games or watch content on them I say to myself "I get it - I get how someone could really sink their teeth into this and like it, it has a lot going for it". Starfield I see as a soulless step back from games like Skyrim and Fallout 4... a big open space with a bunch of mediocre to bad story/quest content dumped into it with some halfway decent systems stood up around it. 6 out of 10? 7 out of 10 - I could see something like that.

But it is much like the people who called Cyberpunk 2077 (a game I actually enjoyed and also think is 10x the game Starfield was, even when it released an absolute buggy pile of garbage that needed years of clean up, another game where various side quests are 10x more interesting than Starfield's main quest) a 10 out of 10. It is just like... bruh - do you have any standards at all? 10 out of 10 would mean it is a perfect game. But at least that game had soul and passion behind it. You could tell (under all of the garbage that was present when it just got pushed out unfinished) they at least gave a crap to try to make it good.

:shrug:

Also yes on the music score. I was pleasantly surprised. There are some terrific pieces in there.

This is also true about Starfield - even though I clearly don't like it much. The music in the game was very well done!

Ten hours is a lot of time. And this is coming from someone who has sunk a lot of time into some games. Recently I dropped 200+ hours into Baldur's Gate 3... which is a huge game (and in my opinion is 100x the game and made with 100x the passion of something like Starfield - basic side quests in it are far more interesting than even the main story in Starfield). But I didn't have people coming back to tell me "Well look, you would have enjoyed BG3 if you just kept playing for like... 25 hours! That is when it really gets good and opens up".

Pro tip for game developers - if it takes 10+ hours for someone to "get into your game" or "for it to really start to get good"... then you messed something up. You messed up really, really... really, really, really bad.

I have also heard people say "lol - u just need to know what to expect out of Bethesda!". As someone who has 250+ hours in Fallout 3, 100+ hours in Skyrim and 150+ hours in Fallout 4... I strongly disagree.

Starfield is more on the level of Fallout 76 than their other offerings. So I know what to expect from Bethesda moving forward - soulless garbage.

I think it is great when gamers get something they really enjoy and it seems like a lot of people are really enjoying Starfield - so that is awesome for you guys!

It is one of those games for me where I see the 9 or 10 out of 10 reviews and horde of people saying is amazing and I say to myself... how can anyone possibly like this game? Or at least - how can anyone think it is a 9 or 10 out of 10 game?

As an example - I do not like Souls games. Didn't like Dark Souls, didn't like Elden Ring. But when I played those games or watch content on them I say to myself "I get it - I get how someone could really sink their teeth into this and like it, it has a lot going for it". Starfield I see as a soulless step back from games like Skyrim and Fallout 4... a big open space with a bunch of mediocre to bad story/quest content dumped into it with some halfway decent systems stood up around it. 6 out of 10? 7 out of 10 - I could see something like that.

But it is much like the people who called Cyberpunk 2077 (a game I actually enjoyed and also think is 10x the game Starfield was, even when it released an absolute buggy pile of garbage that needed years of clean up, another game where various side quests are 10x more interesting than Starfield's main quest) a 10 out of 10. It is just like... bruh - do you have any standards at all?

Liking something is subjective and you going "I get it" or "I don't get it" is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of thing in terms of how good or how bad something is.

No offense, this applies to all of us. None of us can always get it right.

On another note, the game doesn't take 10 hours to get good
It is merely a reference to how comprehensive it is and how much there is to do.

I started having fun less than an hour in, for example. That will vary. That comes from someone who never got hooked on Bethesda games. Thanks GamePass.

Liking something is subjective and you going "I get it" or "I don't get it" is quite irrelevant in the grand scheme of thing in terms of how good or how bad something is.

I literally say this... in my post.

Not sure what you're talk about :(
It didn't take 10 hours to me to "get into the game", and the game is (very) well reviewed :)
It's totally a Bethesda game... Some know how I love Paul Tassi, but on this point, he's right : make your own story.
Now I admit I have no clue the kind of mods that were available to consoles for Skyrim and FO4. I know they were not as extensive as what you could get on PC but that's about all I know. Are graphical overhaul even a thing on console? Optimizers? Was it limited to new weapons?
Not as extensive as on PC for sure, but there are graphical mods :)

Starfield, I would probably go nuts with the ship- and settlement building, like FO4 I'm totally into that stuff. Slap down a network of small bases, resource gathering station and eventually (pretend shipyard) build myself the biggest damn battlecruiser the game would allow me to make so that any space pirate shall fear the Terran Dominion harhar.
However... The operative word is 'would'...

I mean no offense when I say this - the way you go about this is probably why you're getting the comments you're getting.

You've done this a few times in this thread already so I can only assume you do this elsewhere too but the way you came into this positive conversation with just "this game is shit".... you can't really expect people who clearly enjoy the game to not defend their position at least a tiny bit.

Especially when you then you double down with "the only good thing about Starfield is that I got a refund" or "those people have no standards, how can they possibly like this".

I mean, if you go to a party, join a group of people who have been having fun for the last 3 hours and just dump "this is shit, I should have stayed home, y'all have no standards" on them. You're gonna get some blow back.

It's ok that you don't like the game, that's entirely fair, not every game is for everybody but the way you're going about it almost looks like you're intentionally trying to ruffle feathers here. Even when you say "awesome for people who like it!", it sounds very disingenuous when it's immediately followed by "these people have no standards" because they're giving it a high score.

Not sure what you're talk about :(
It didn't take 10 hours to me to "get into the game", and the game is (very) well reviewed :)
It's totally a Bethesda game... Some know how I love Paul Tassi, but on this point, he's right : make your own story.

Ah!

I don't particularly like Tassi as a person but I agree, he's spot on on this one.

Top Bottom