Starfield! Spaaaaaaace...ladders.

+
I liked the environments, they look great. The gameplay animations look a bit stiff. But it's in the development so they'll fix some of the issues in the future. I also liked the airship customization and the ability to build your Base where ever you want. But one thing that worries me, is those 1000 planets. I hope they can manage to fill them with high quality content. But the one thing that I am really excited about, is the new Creation Kit. I can't wait to get my hands on the Modding tool.

I liked the environments, they look great. The gameplay animations look a bit stiff. But it's in the development so they'll fix some of the issues in the future. I also liked the airship customization and the ability to build your Base where ever you want. But one thing that worries me, is those 1000 planets. I hope they can manage to fill them with high quality content. But the one thing that I am really excited about, is the new Creation Kit. I can't wait to get my hands on the Modding tool.

I think it is unrealistic to expect high quality content on 1000 planets. I imagine there will be quality content on about 5-30 planets, then the rest will be filler where you can go to:

1. Farm materials
2. Build a base
3. Farm random experience from monsters
4. I wouldn't be shocked if they have random generated quests that are like... "There is an interesting specimen on Nova Prime 3! A giant Mother Dinosaur has been spotted and we need its glands. Travel to Nova Prime 3 and retrieve her glands, then bring it back to me for your reward!"
Post automatically merged:

One more note:

I think they would have been better off doing 10 systems and 100 planets rather than 100/1000. If there were 100 planets to explore they still couldn't fill them all up... but I bet they could have put an Easter Egg or something worth while on every one of them. 10 systems and 100 planets is also still more than like 99% of the player base would ever end up exploring anyways.

I think it is unrealistic to expect high quality content on 1000 planets. I imagine there will be quality content on about 5-30 planets, then the rest will be filler where you can go to:

1. Farm materials
2. Build a base
3. Farm random experience from monsters
4. I wouldn't be shocked if they have random generated quests that are like... "There is an interesting specimen on Nova Prime 3! A giant Mother Dinosaur has been spotted and we need its glands. Travel to Nova Prime 3 and retrieve her glands, then bring it back to me for your reward!"
I agree, would be awsome if its hand crafted quests on all 1000 planets but thats totally unrealistic. It will probably be some quests thats better then others. BGS tend too make some side content the best, i tend too like the more hidden ones more since you have too explore a bit too find them :) main story isent really the best in most cases for me atleast.

Looks good on my eyes. Is that made with UE5 already?
I hope they won't promise too much... "100 or 1000 planets to explore" gives me No man's sky flashbacks. The bad ones!
I must have laughed a bit because the game plays in the future and we are still shooting with a gun or pistol or similar. Bethesda should focus on the stories they want to tell us - like every other videogame studio too.
I will keep an eye on Starfeld.

Looks good on my eyes. Is that made with UE5 already?
I hope they won't promise too much... "100 or 1000 planets to explore" gives me No man's sky flashbacks. The bad ones!
I must have laughed a bit because the game plays in the future and we are still shooting with a gun or pistol or similar. Bethesda should focus on the stories they want to tell us - like every other videogame studio too.
I will keep an eye on Starfeld.
Nope its BGS own Creation engine 2, so its an upgrade im guessing. Hopefully they fixed alot of the issues with it :) physics and so on in skyrim was interesting too say the least.

Spacesuits,ballistic guns and space dogfights?, I mean they don´t even pretend to take themselves seriously.

As always with Bethesda's games I see a very solid foundation upon which to build with incredible mods.

All of their games since Oblivion have been rather average. Not bad but not good either. Just average. Yet, every single one of them I have played for over 1,000 hours and some over 2,000 hours. All because of mods. I have no doubt Starfield will be the same considering Todd Howard already confirmed it will have Bethesda's signature full mod support.

The potential for incredible mods in Starfield seems feels limitless.

The potential for incredible mods in Starfield seems feels limitless.

Searching for and picking the best spot for your mod "place" to be located is now 1000 times more difficult! :D
But at least it will be less likely that mod authors will fight over their map locations now. :p

Thanks for posting the video. I didn't know they had released an update.

Here's my take:
  • Ground game looks and plays like a slightly updated, reskinned Fallout 4; complete with reskinned Radscorpions and Radroaches. Maybe slightly more refined gunplay -- not sure. Nothing particularly interesting there.
  • The ship customization and flying is interesting, and has potential. What do the customizations do -- travel range, firepower, defense, cargo, crew, et cetera? How do those things work, do they make a difference beyond cosmetics, and if so, is the difference sensible based on the modifications? I'm looking forward to finding out more about it in the next couple of months.
  • If they really managed to pull off exploration of a thousand different planets, then that's a new level of success for Bethesda. I'm skeptical that it will be like the "exploration" of planets in the first Mass Effect Game, for folks who remember that one. But maybe they'll surprise me. It could be really good.
  • Most importantly, is the game going to be as mod friendly as the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games? That by itself is likely to be the main determinant in whether I buy the game.
  • Based on the above, it looks like there may be three different gameplay systems going on at the same time. I wonder how well they work together? Step off the ground into a ship, fly to a world, step off the ship and onto new ground, go explore: that level of integration? I seriously doubt it. Or at the other end of the spectrum: loading screens that link together those elements, without actually integrating them?
  • Potential red flag for overall all design: why, oh why, do game developers who presumably have some aptitude in math and science, insist on weapon and engine sounds in space? Did none of them ever watch the movie Alien? ("In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream").
Edit: fixed typo of "Bioware" to "Bethesda".

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the video. I didn't know they had released an update.

Here's my take:
  • Ground game looks and plays like a slightly updated, reskinned Fallout 4; complete with reskinned Radscorpions and Radroaches. Maybe slightly more refined gunplay -- not sure. Nothing particularly interesting there.
  • The ship customization and flying is interesting, and has potential. What do the customizations do -- travel range, firepower, defense, cargo, crew, et cetera? How do those things work, do they make a difference beyond cosmetics, and if so, is the difference sensible based on the modifications? I'm looking forward to finding out more about it in the next couple of months.
  • If they really managed to pull off exploration of a thousand different planets, then that's a new level of success for Bioware. I'm skeptical that it will be like the "exploration" of planets in the first Mass Effect Game, for folks who remember that one. But maybe they'll surprise me. It could be really good.
  • Most importantly, is the game going to be as mod friendly as the Elder Scrolls and Fallout games? That by itself is likely to be the main determinant in whether I buy the game.
  • Based on the above, it looks like there may be three different gameplay systems going on at the same time. I wonder how well they work together? Step off the ground into a ship, fly to a world, step off the ship and onto new ground, go explore: that level of integration? I seriously doubt it. Or at the other end of the spectrum: loading screens that link together those elements, without actually integrating them?
  • Potential red flag for overall all design: why, oh why, do game developers who presumably have some aptitude in math and science, insist on weapon and engine sounds in space? Did none of them ever watch the movie Alien? ("In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream").
Ship customizations seems too be both visual and performance(think he said it was in the video, something about crew too). Seems you can put more engines on witch i guess would make for a faster ship?

I doubt exploration in 1000 worlds will be that great tbh, Would be great if it was true but i will temper my expectations on that hard ^^

Its creation engine 2 so im guessing its a upgraded Skyrim engine. Would assume it will be as mod friendly but might have too wait for updated tools and will probably take a long time untill all the extra added scripting and so on gets made("skse" and so on).

But it sounds cool! but it kinda annoys me too, both in movies and games. You can "hear" in some specific cases tho.. but ship combat would probably not make a sound. planet combat could if it has an atmosphear with it seems like it does.

Searching for and picking the best spot for your mod "place" to be located is now 1000 times more difficult! :D
But at least it will be less likely that mod authors will fight over their map locations now. :p

Can't say I've ever had that problem myself. Most of my ideas came after visiting somewhere so more often than not the locations were decided before I ever started work. In other words, if it was located on the same location as another mod and people wanted both mods... tough luck, figure out which one you want more was my stance on location issues.

Really, I'm more interested in the absolutely limitless potential. With full mod support, I have no doubt we'll be able to make our own planets and most modders (be they users or creators) want mods that fit within the game at least reasonably well. With a game world like Starfield's, that's not much of an issue. You could literally recreate Tamriel (The Elder Scrolls' world for those who don't know) and write up some lore about planet X being populated by non-spacefaring species living in roughly our equivalent of the medieval times. Throw in some midi-chlorians to explain magic if you want to.

Voila you've just added Tamriel into Starfield. You can throw in almost anything you think of. Want a Cyberpunk planet? Go ahead. Steampunk? Why not? Prehistoric world? Heh, dinosaurs! Almost anything can be explained and still fit within the game world.

It might just be enough to get me back into creating mods.

Voila you've just added Tamriel into Starfield. You can throw in almost anything you think of. Want a Cyberpunk planet? Go ahead. Steampunk? Why not? Prehistoric world? Heh, dinosaurs! Almost anything can be explained and still fit within the game world.
I can imagine some sort of "Star Wars overhaul mod", that you can use the "force", pilot the millennium falcon or an Xwings, assault the Black Star, lightsabers, droid (C3PO and D2R2) and plenty of famous planets :)

Yep, Bethesda's big next game! Scheduled for November later this year.
It looks cool, I like the RPG elements that is a huge plus. That you can design ships and bases etc. Very cool.

My biggest concern is with the scale of the game. 1000 planets, that is a lot and you can land everywhere, but will it be interesting to do so? A lot of the bigger sceneries looks very barren and procedural generated to me. And doesn't really give me a sense of why would I go there? Like in Fallout and Skyrim, there is almost constantly something that catches your eye and makes you want to go explore. But from that video, I don't really feel like running 10 minutes in a random direction if there is nothing there.

And 1000 planets is a lot!!, so if it ends up as a No man sky type of planets, where its basically the same on all of them and they just look slightly different, then I really don't think it will be a good thing.

But we obviously have to wait and see. Ill keep an eye on it for sure, but my expectations are fairly low to be honest.

So it is. I saw the presentation of about 15 minutes of Starfield gameplay. It is promised that you will be able to explore several planets (some say 1000!) so the game will be gigantic. But honestly..., the graphics are, in my opinion, short. People's features are all the same. And the revealed combat is weak. Cool is the customization of the character and spaceships. After seeing the presentation, it's impossible not to say: CDPR, what did you do with what would be the game of the decade - Cyberpunk 2077? Why did they give in to investors and deliver a game with a wonderful story and captivating characters full of bugs, optimization problems and incomplete content? Graphically, at least on PC and PS5, Cyberpunk 2077 blows away what we've seen of Starfield. That CDPR release a new update (patch 1.6) and make a gigantic expansion that elevates the game to the place it should be, that is, remembered as something revolutionary (in a positive sense of course). CP2077 and its fans deserve it. Redemption is with you CDPR.

Top Bottom