Starfield! Spaaaaaaace...ladders.

+
But it sounds cool! but it kinda annoys me too, both in movies and games. You can "hear" in some specific cases tho.. but ship combat would probably not make a sound. planet combat could if it has an atmosphear with it seems like it does.
You are correct, but I think they have to add sound to them or it would simply be to boring and unexciting to have space battles.

I think it is unrealistic to expect high quality content on 1000 planets. I imagine there will be quality content on about 5-30 planets, then the rest will be filler where you can go to:

1. Farm materials
2. Build a base
3. Farm random experience from monsters
4. I wouldn't be shocked if they have random generated quests that are like... "There is an interesting specimen on Nova Prime 3! A giant Mother Dinosaur has been spotted and we need its glands. Travel to Nova Prime 3 and retrieve her glands, then bring it back to me for your reward!"
Post automatically merged:

One more note:

I think they would have been better off doing 10 systems and 100 planets rather than 100/1000. If there were 100 planets to explore they still couldn't fill them all up... but I bet they could have put an Easter Egg or something worth while on every one of them. 10 systems and 100 planets is also still more than like 99% of the player base would ever end up exploring anyways.
Not exactly sure if I should be excited for a game like that.
I agree with most of the expectations you wrote down, specifically when comparing 'promised' versus 'reality'.
Also going down some planet to build a settle to farm... Stuff... Think I'll just boot up Starcraft at that and play myself a proper RTS where I 'farm' (and subsequentially go to war with armies)

Honestly, the farming minigame is boring to me, and increasingly so if you have to actively have to in order to do other mundane stuff.
Also if settlement building (as in the placement) is like it is in fallout 4 then... No thanks. I enjoyed making a settlement and I always tried to make it look 'natural' to the environment, but the methods of placement where horrendous.
It wasn't even possible to make a proper raider settlement with scaffolding, evelated catwalks or the damn tents.
And the enjoyment came from trying to just make a neat little place for my own (and companion) which was basically the base of operations and storage. The idea of having to build something where NPC can roam like a useless hack isn't really appealing. Least of all when I have to in order to progress something trivial.

I predict settlement building will disappoint in regards to spacial/placement control, variety of elements aswell as the manipulation of elements (such as floors stairs or wall)
Resulting in a hollow experience where anything you build will seem slightly 'off' with regards to its surroundings or by its design in general.

And trust me... I have build MANY settlements in Fallout 4 and experimented a lot with everything that was available and I have yet to make a 'settement' that looks like it would truly exist in the game worls.

A good number of Fallout 76 videos where you see some typical player attrocities display presicely what I mean.

Also if settlement building (as in the placement) is like it is in fallout 4 then... No thanks.

To their credit the building stuff looked a lot better in the Starfield trailer. I haven't played Fallout 76 because I refuse to play that monstrosity... but from the sounds of it things improved a lot in Fallout 76 in terms of building as well.

But I don't get the obsession with base building, ship building, etc. either. It almost always ends up being a clunky mess unless it is the main focus of a game.

To their credit the building stuff looked a lot better in the Starfield trailer. I haven't played Fallout 76 because I refuse to play that monstrosity... but from the sounds of it things improved a lot in Fallout 76 in terms of building as well.

But I don't get the obsession with base building, ship building, etc. either. It almost always ends up being a clunky mess unless it is the main focus of a game.
Think its a bit of the "throw everything at the wall see what sticks" issue. It does look pretty neat but we shall see. Im not preordering anything! YOU HEAR THAT BETHESTA! NOTHING!!!! :D

• Potential red flag for overall all design: why, oh why, do game developers who presumably have some aptitude in math and science, insist on weapon and engine sounds in space? Did none of them ever watch the movie Alien? ("In Space, No One Can Hear You Scream").

Rule of cool. Simple as that.

My take on the preview:

• Graphics are mediocre but good for Bethesda standards
  • Love the general art design
  • UI and character creation looks slick
  • Gameplay/Gunplay is clunky at best unfortunately
  • Loving the exploration part and space ship designer
  • Not a fan of the material collecting stuff (feels like a survival game and I hate those)
  • Zero interest in settlement building. I hated it in Fallout 4 as well. Did the mandatory stuff in F4 and never looked back.

Since I neither own a gaming PC nor an Xbox, I guess I'll have to skip this one. I don't really mind though, I haven't finished Skyrim to this day, Fallout 76 looked terrible and the "1000 planets to explore" thing was somewhat off-putting.

I can imagine some sort of "Star Wars overhaul mod", that you can use the "force", pilot the millennium falcon or an Xwings, assault the Black Star, lightsabers, droid (C3PO and D2R2) and plenty of famous planets :)
I expect that Disney will crush any attempt at such mods, since they're trying to make money from their own Star Wars games. But if they don't, it could be really cool. Modded Starfield might finally produce a good Star Wars game. The Skyrim voice powers translate well into Star Wars force powers.

I expect that Disney will crush any attempt at such mods, since they're trying to make money from their own Star Wars games. But if they don't, it could be really cool. Modded Starfield might finally produce a good Star Wars game. The Skyrim voice powers translate well into Star Wars force powers.
Very possible that Disney don't allow it, but it would be awesome :)

You mean a good post-Disney Star Wars game, right? Because I can think of several LucasArts ones that were really f*ckin' good :howdy:

Doubt they will

There is proof they don't care much about mods themselves, even in large overhaul cases. For example, here is SWOW. A Fallout: New Vegas SW overhaul mod. Been in development for a few years and is very well-known. It's also one of the more ambitious SW overhaul mods out there and, should it ever be finished and attain all of it's goals, would be everything you'd expect out of a SW RPG. It's not like it's unknown in the mainstream medias either - here is a PCgamer article from a year ago.

Disney can be litigious but with the right precautions you most certainly could make a large SW overhaul mod without Disney ever interfering. It's generally far more about how you go about making your mod than the fact it's a mod based on an owned IP.

It's important to note that those mods are usually work of passions that take years to happen and even accepting donations is setting yourself up to receive a cease and desist from whichever company owns the IP from which you are drawing inspiration. It's hard and thankless work. Usually by the time they're released, the majority of players has long moved on.

We will see a large variety of SW related mods. The setting lends itself to it after all. The vast majority of these mods will most likely be of much smaller scope and Disney definitely does not care about those. Lightsabers and blasters will be a thing in Starfield eventually. No doubt there. The ship customization tool seems robust enough that we'll see some Millennium Falcon and Star Destroyer pieces being added very quickly too. Smaller SW mods will happen very quickly. Of that, I am absolutely certain.

Can't say I've ever had that problem myself.

I had it several times myself. But also lots of mod authors to the point a list was made with cooperating mod authors on the official Bethesda forums where you could see who already had what land in the game thus allowing you to avoid the situation where the player had to choose which mod to use.

However I feel the same way as you about game mechanics (and the game perks). Players had to choose which combat mod they wanted to use I was not going to even try to make my combat mechanics work with everyone else.

I had it several times myself. But also lots of mod authors to the point a list was made with cooperating mod authors on the official Bethesda forums where you could see who already had what land in the game thus allowing you to avoid the situation where the player had to choose which mod to use.

However I feel the same way as you about game mechanics (and the game perks). Players had to choose which combat mod they wanted to use I was not going to even try to make my combat mechanics work with everyone else.

I'm aware of the multiple places with lists indicating where established mods were. Like I said, I just don't care much about them. I used to mod for myself first and foremost. The creations I shared, I supported but never changed based on compatibility with another mod unless it's something I also wanted. Modding for others is the road to burning out of the hobby as far as I'm concerned.

It's passion work, I never let it turn into regular work.

I'm aware of the multiple places with lists indicating where established mods were. Like I said, I just don't care much about them. I used to mod for myself first and foremost. The creations I shared, I supported but never changed based on compatibility with another mod unless it's something I also wanted. Modding for others is the road to burning out of the hobby as far as I'm concerned.

It's passion work, I never let it turn into regular work.

Smart Choom!
You are right I did burn out.

Todd just said something in an interview that made me a little disappointed but only because I made an assumption. My assumption was that the planets were going to be actual spheres that the space ship could fly around AND the player could circumnavigate on foot.

However Todd said that these maps have to be "infinite" as part of the explanation as to why procedural map creation had to be used.

DAM! (forehead slap) of course the maps are FLAT game maps. But to give the illusion of an entire world the maps go on forever.
I hope at least maybe they will stealth transport you back to (in front of ) your start point to create the illusion that the planet (the map) is a BALL and not a flat land. But I think that may be asking too much.

Todd just said something in an interview that made me a little disappointed but only because I made an assumption. My assumption was that the planets were going to be actual spheres that the space ship could fly around AND the player could circumnavigate on foot.

However Todd said that these maps have to be "infinite" as part of the explanation as to why procedural map creation had to be used.

DAM! (forehead slap) of course the maps are FLAT game maps. But to give the illusion of an entire world the maps go on forever.
I hope at least maybe they will stealth transport you back to (in front of ) your start point to create the illusion that the planet (the map) is a BALL and not a flat land. But I think that may be asking too much.
So they are generated on the fly and different between players? Curious how you will navigate between handcrafted locations? Maybe there is 1 per planet only ?

Top Bottom