Starting The Witcher Games: Any Hints or Tips?

+
Hi
Huge Aussie nerd looking to get into gaming. I absolutely love The Witcher book series so thought it would be the first game I should play. Any hints or tips appreciated. Cheers x

Welcome aboard, @kristelwithak !

If you've just embarked into gaming, I'd suggest either The Witcher III, or The Wticher 2 as a starting point. The Witcher (the first game) has some very good story elements, but its game mechanics can be a bit frustrating and off-putting to newcomers; therefore, you may want to hold off on the first game, until you've decided whether you'd like to give it a try.

The Witcher III is probably the most approachable of the Series, in terms of play. Although knowledge of the previous entries can be useful, it's not necessary to enjoy Wild Hunt and its expansions.

Please, feel free to ask, if you've further questions.

I'll have to second @Riven-Twain above. TW1 is a really enjoyable game...!...but it does create a rather odd blend of mechanics that rely on some level of player familiarity with similar systems, then mixes them together in a very unique way.

Whereas TW2 and TW3 are extremely welcoming and easy to pick up while still providing a stiff challenge if you want them to. Story-wise, you can find summaries or full "movie" versions of the games easily enough on YouTube and such, so you'll be able to follow what's going on. (The stories here take place after the end of Sapkowski's novels.)

Guest 4400165

Nice! You're in for a quite treat! I'm a games series fan, but never read the books. The 3rd game should be okay to start.

Any tips? Well, yeah: read the descriptions, use the Signs, use potions, read the Beastiary, brew monster decoctions and find the ones that will fit into your gameplay style and be useful (I found relying on the Quen Sign, wearing heavy armor to be more forgiving). Some might be worth it, others are situational. Oh, and don't rush the combat, got hit - block/dodge/roll away first before making a counterattack.
Enemies (both humans and creatures) behave differently, so might wanna spend some time waiting for them to show off their moves first, but all should be in the Beastiary. And if you don't feel like reading that - don't worry, you'll figure it out.

Money will be no issue, resources are aplenty, so no need to hoard stuff and don't afraid to use it. Repairs better be done by the weapon/armor repair kits that you find, blacksmiths will bankrupt you.

Might wanna try to start Treasure Hunt missions, if that's in your level range. Worth it.

I don't know how easy/hard the game should be for someone who hasn't played much games, but you should be fine.

Welcome aboard, @kristelwithak !

If you've just embarked into gaming, I'd suggest either The Witcher III, or The Wticher 2 as a starting point. The Witcher (the first game) has some very good story elements, but its game mechanics can be a bit frustrating and off-putting to newcomers; therefore, you may want to hold off on the first game, until you've decided whether you'd like to give it a try.

The Witcher III is probably the most approachable of the Series, in terms of play. Although knowledge of the previous entries can be useful, it's not necessary to enjoy Wild Hunt and its expansions.

Please, feel free to ask, if you've further questions.
Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it. I look forward to trying one of the games.

The first game is amazing I think you're in for a ride, my friend.
My only tip would be to give yourself a bit of a breather if you're planning on playing all of the games (which you should).
Last summer I remember deciding to read every book back-to-back and then play all of the games in order. It was a lot of fun, but by the time I got to Blood&Wine I was really burned out and almost not paying attention.
I still loved it, of course, but I should've given myself a bit of time to breathe so I could properly enjoy the story

The first game is amazing I think you're in for a ride, my friend.
My only tip would be to give yourself a bit of a breather if you're planning on playing all of the games (which you should).
Last summer I remember deciding to read every book back-to-back and then play all of the games in order. It was a lot of fun, but by the time I got to Blood&Wine I was really burned out and almost not paying attention.
I still loved it, of course, but I should've given myself a bit of time to breathe so I could properly enjoy the story
Hi!
I also recently published a series of articles to gamersdecide.com that might come useful for a first-time playthrough of TW3, it's a bit more nuts-and-bolts advice, like how to get the best steel swords, armor, weapons, mods if you're playing on PC, and overall builds.
I think they might be useful for a first-time player, but remember that the goal is having fun, so take them into account if they're useful, but don't worry about having the "best" of anything and focus more on having something that better fits your playstyle.

I would also suggest starting with the 3rd game. I have done this for many series and then went back to play the first and second games (especially if they've been remastered).

If you are looking for tips on actual gameplay, I would say the easiest way to start is to clear all the exploration points in White Orchard first. Then continue main quest missions until you have reached level 7 or 8. By this time you should have a number of alchemy recipes and crafting recipes for equipment and can really start exploring. The most important thing to do is get your first set of witcher gear. the viper school swords and the first griffin school diagrams. Don't take any notice board mission until around rank 15 and if you ease drop, you do trigger a handful of easy quests. Loot everything except for garbage like rakes, ladles, platters, and such. Silver or gold items always loot and dismantle into ore/ingots.

A couple of basic tips for Witcher 3

1. Do everything available in White Run before you move on to Velen this will level you up nicely plus give you some bonus skill points from the Places of Power to apply on your abilities

2. Do every Witcher Contract you can get your hands on. While the pay is often not so great it's your main source of Mutagens and you can't have too many of them since you can combine them and use them as damage multipliers for your skill tree and they are need to make different concoctions plus the extras left over when you finish the main game are very useful during the Hearts of Stone DLC that adds a new Runes maker

3. Grab the Gourmet Skill when it becomes available because you can just drink one water and your health buildup lasts for 20 minutes and just drink some water (water is the most plentiful and you never run out once you get the Gourmet Skill) or eat some food before you go into battle or into a cave. If you do get in trouble pop a Swallow portion and your health will restore even faster and you can just dodge attacks for a few seconds and the health bar will top back up to max

Top Bottom