Stash system

+
Wonderful, CDPR isn't waiting for the EE version this time.

But this is open world and not linear so the reason for the storage in the other games is not in this one. And that was why CDPR never had it to begin with.

Only after a bunch of hoarders began to whine did they add it. Still waiting for a sound logical reason for a chest.

The sound logical reason for no chest is that CDPR wanted you to make choices and sometimes hard ones. Do you keep what you have or sell it. Do you take that new loot or ignore it. Only LIMITS can accomplish this. And it fits in perfectly with what a witcher is. You don't see Lambert or Letho or Vesimer lugging around multiple armor sets.

Only after a bunch of hoarders began to whine did they add it. Still waiting for a sound logical reason for a chest.

because CDPR asked for feedback and a significant number of people asked for it (which includes myself) so CDPR were kind enough to include it.it isn't a forced thing so those who don't want to use it don't have to and can continue as they are.

I'm really glad they are adding it. I totally agree that a Witcher should not be carrying around extra sets of armor too. But I do feel that a Witcher should be able to hide something in the world if he needs to get it later. It would be even better if he could do this with any chest in any location, but set stash locations could be cool. I'm going to empty just about everything into it and only carry around what I feel is realistic.

The sound logical reason for no chest is that CDPR wanted you to make choices and sometimes hard ones. Do you keep what you have or sell it. Do you take that new loot or ignore it. Only LIMITS can accomplish this. And it fits in perfectly with what a witcher is. You don't see Lambert or Letho or Vesimer lugging around multiple armor sets.

Yeah... if they had this goal in mind, when they designed the inventory system, then they failed miserably... and I don't think there is any feature in there suggesting that they were aiming for a system, where it matters what you pick up and leave behind.
Initially there is a lot of inventory space (even more now with weightless crafting materials), you can loot almost all of White Orchard with your default carry weight, so they certainly do not teach you too make "hard decisions regarding loot" early on.
And since 90% of the loot is generic vendor trash anyway, the only "hard choice" regarding loot, is "which items sells for more gold/weight unit".
There isn't even any real penalty if you pick up too much... you can still keep looting, even if overburdened, it has no impact on combat (like no longer being able to dodge). It's only side effect -the reduction in movement speed - is usually a non-issue, since Roach, or a fast travel spot are not far away most of the time to quickly sell all the trash you picked up.

However there is some vendor trash that the player still might want to keep... like trophies (more than 1 of each effect that is) or the few main quest weapons, no longer useful quest items, books/letters you already read etc.
There is absolutely no reason to keep this stuff except for "sentimental" value... and that's what a storage is for.

If they wanted a system where loot actually matters, it should look completely different than what we have now. I fail to see the harm in this unobtrusive feature...

Yeah... if they had this goal in mind, when they designed the inventory system, then they failed miserably... and I don't think there is any feature in there suggesting that they were aiming for a system, where it matters what you pick up and leave behind.
Initially there is a lot of inventory space (even more now with weightless crafting materials), you can loot almost all of White Orchard with your default carry weight, so they certainly do not teach you too make "hard decisions regarding loot" early on.
And since 90% of the loot is generic vendor trash anyway, the only "hard choice" regarding loot, is "which items sells for more gold/weight unit".
There isn't even any real penalty if you pick up too much... you can still keep looting, even if overburdened, it has no impact on combat (like no longer being able to dodge). It's only side effect -the reduction in movement speed - is usually a non-issue, since Roach, or a fast travel spot are not far away most of the time to quickly sell all the trash you picked up.

However there is some vendor trash that the player still might want to keep... like trophies (more than 1 of each effect that is) or the few main quest weapons, no longer useful quest items, books/letters you already read etc.
There is absolutely no reason to keep this stuff except for "sentimental" value... and that's what a storage is for.

If they wanted a system where loot actually matters, it should look completely different than what we have now. I fail to see the harm in this unobtrusive feature...

They may have failed but it was their design intent. They said so in interviews way before the game was released. They made comments such as (and I'm paraphrasing here):

1) We don't want players to save items till the end of the game but instead use them.
2) We want money to be tight and hope the economy forces tough choices on the payer.
3) We want the player to make tough choices in what to loot and what to leave behind.

Now what they did was instead of fixing the game to be how they wanted and designed it to be they took the shortcut and just gave in to the hoarders.

I didn't really need a chest and with the materials not taking up "weight" anymore, I'm not even sure there is a point for a chest.

"Oh, I can't make all of the Witcher sets and carry them around!"

Oh no...what a huge problem...so...how about only making ONE Witcher set that you actually wear then? Why would Geralt have like 4 complete sets of armor and 8 swords in his saddle bags?

"Adds a stash for player convenience. Players can now store loot in their stash, access to which is available in different parts of the world. Stash locations are marked on the map."

The wording of this does make it seem like it is one stash, accessed from multiple locations.

---------- Updated at 03:42 PM ----------

"Adds a stash for player convenience. Players can now store loot in their stash, access to which is available in different parts of the world. Stash locations are marked on the map."

The wording of this does make it seem like it is one stash, accessed from multiple locations.

I'm hoping that if I store something at a certain location, I have to go back to that specific location to get it.

Plus you should make that location some random camp in the middle of nowhere without any markers to it, and have 13 35+ level boss-level monsters guarding it, all the with the threat of losing all of your belongings and every one of your quests failing...And both Triss and Yennifer breaks up with you and starts humping dandelion....

All the while beating the game on their upcoming Wild-Dark-March-into-Oblivion difficulty setting while Geralt's swords rusts and is relegated to use silver and wooden clubs instead...

...Then and only then, will the ghost of Ayn Rand proclaim you Emperor of the hard core gaming organization....Amen..

Last edited:
They are linked. Already been stated. Fortunately.
GOSH I LIKE PONIES.

[Sard Edit: Let us try to be Polite. Civil. And Constructive. Or Byeeee...]
[Ðarkstar Edit: Asking for a source is constructive and it was asked impolitely albeit in a joking fashion, that is no cause to troll with your moderator powers.]

Last edited:
1) We don't want players to save items till the end of the game but instead use them.
2) We want money to be tight and hope the economy forces tough choices on the payer.
3) We want the player to make tough choices in what to loot and what to leave behind.

I think #1 pertained to potions, they put in the new system so people would use potions often and not save them.

CDPR is indeed listening to us and I am thankful for that, however who would wish the storage not to be linked to other stashes? What if you wanna equip some set inside your vault and its located to a far location which will require you to fast travel and go along with the loading screen again? If its linked then its convenient for you to get your items whenever you see a vault. Why wish for something that will complicate things?

What you can wish is a big vault thats it but not the unlinked ones.
Well since its says linked on the patch notes then there's nothing you can do about it.

Not having them linked would be a nightmare. If you're deep enough, you'd have to go to all of the different stashes just to find the item you're looking for because you can't remember where the...man, that would be a nightmare. Role-play if you want, and keep going to the specific one you want, but man...having them unlinked would be one hell of a bummer.

What do you actually need the stash for? Are you planning to stockpile armour and swords for the coming war? If stash is to make any sense they should significantly reduce saddlebags capacity.

For relic items from quests or crafted ones, which don't have that good stats, but we want to have them.

Weeeeell considering the Cat School has a stash, why not the other schools too? After all, 'brother witchers look out for each other on the path'. I'd say if they were all to be linked then they'd need to get rid of the fast travel marker, have to balance convenience with reason imo

It wasn't stash of entire Cat School, but just temporary stash of that witcher.

My dream inventory would be that Geralt and Roach were separate. Geralt would only have his equipped items and a small bag with limited squares (just enough for a few extra bombs or potions). Roach would have a larger amount squares that were represented by bag capacity, and these would be limited. Say left bag 16 squares and right bag was 16 squares. Weight could then be completely removed from the game because it would be more about space rather than wight.

When you upgrade saddlebags it would add on a few more square slots.

---------- Updated at 08:46 PM ----------

For things like swapping out armor and stuff, there could be a temporary holding panel, and at some point these items were dropped if not sold, put on roach, or storage. Or, while they are there you have negatives, slowed, etc.

Last edited:
Not having them linked would be a nightmare. If you're deep enough, you'd have to go to all of the different stashes just to find the item you're looking for because you can't remember where the...man, that would be a nightmare. Role-play if you want, and keep going to the specific one you want, but man...having them unlinked would be one hell of a bummer.
That's what he says, but he will need to take notes of what he saved in what location otherwise it would defeat his purpose. I'm sure after some time he will just use it normally because it is tempting to just grab something you need if you have it in front of you rather than travel to some distant location to grab the same thing.

Let's drop the bullshit, please. It's not just about "hoarders".

Even just trying to craft more than ONE Witcher set will lead even a player using the best saddle bags to be constantly close to its weight limits.
I don't think it's too unfair to expect that the game will let you experiment with more than a single Witcher Gear without forcing you to trash the previous one you crafted.

Why not? With the great availability of crafting materials you can easily break and rebuild those sets wtthout any issue whatsoever (and actually this will at last make a little dent in the absurd economy). I really don't understand what's the point to carry three different Witcher sets around when you are just using 1. It is completely unrealistic and it is also completely irrelevant.

Practically nobody carries more than 1 set to switch them; people do it just because they don't want to "lose" that set in case (in some convoluted expectation) it is needed later (and this is coming in the majority of circumstances from habits coming from other games where you don't necessarily have the materials to recraft those armors so you, understandably, are wary of breaking them in case they are needed in the future; but this is NOT the case in this game as you can easily re-create sets how many times you want and the sets are never needed for something specific anyway).

This is even more true because there are skills associated to armor sets so there's no incentive whatsoever on switching or mixing and match.

If you really need to have another witcher set (a thing that will never happen for a game design) you can simply create it anew. It is not that you will not have the materials to do it, nor will you lack the gold to do it. Keeping sets in this game has practically no point whatsoever; the only "point" is to completely break the inventory mechanics it seems.

Last edited:
CDPR is indeed listening to us and I am thankful for that, however who would wish the storage not to be linked to other stashes? What if you wanna equip some set inside your vault and its located to a far location which will require you to fast travel and go along with the loading screen again? If its linked then its convenient for you to get your items whenever you see a vault. Why wish for something that will complicate things?

What you can wish is a big vault thats it but not the unlinked ones.
Well since its says linked on the patch notes then there's nothing you can do about it.

You know convenient is a no-no word? :p

Why not just have one single stash place? With resources weight gone I can't imagine people are gonna use it 10 times a day anyhow.

Top Bottom