State Of Gwent, a live podcast about the Gwent community

+
State Of Gwent, a live podcast about the Gwent community

Thank you all for joining us for the first few episodes, episode #3 will return 10/23/16 7PM CET, 1PM EST, 10PM PST!

Joining in this time we'll have couple of well known community members, KingBlackToof and McBeard from Commander's Horn podcast! We will be discussing the community made decks and updated cards. If you have topics in mind that you want us to cover, please reply in this post.

Hope to you see you there again at https://www.twitch.tv/chesshaha !

Past episodes:
Ep 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1vFNE7b_Bw
Ep 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ1UYr7syC8

First Episode Info:
Hello Gwent fans,

We are proudly introduce State of Gwent, a live podcast by the Gwent community for the Gwent community. Joining me on the first show we have two other active community members: ShifuOftheCards and RubenVDB.

First episode will be aired on https://www.twitch.tv/chesshaha 9/25/16 10PM CEST, 4PM EST, 1PM PST Countdown Timer here

Topics will be covered are:
  • Kill the servers! event
  • New mechanics in Gwent: TWCG
  • Faction Ability Changes
  • User interface in Gwent: TWCG
  • Plus More

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:

mjul

Forum veteran
And the show is over. Great job, guys! I enjoyed it, as I'm sure all the people in the chat did. Hope you do another one soon!

OMG thank you chesshaha I think I finally got what the developers mean with the "draw mechanic" being a fix for the problem of Spies being OP.
And I agree it helps, but the way I see it this is just a temporary solution. Since both people get more cards it will not change the power dynamic inherently.

He explained it like this:
Lets say you and your opponent have 4 cards in round 2, you have 2 Spies and play those. You play 1 spy, you still have 4 cards (opponent has 3), but the opponent HAS to play a card anyway, even if he gets the spy as STR for his the game mechanics still force him to play the game, so he looses a card. You play the second spy and have 4 cards, the opponent has to play another card (2 cards now). Now you could just play the rest of your cards and out-play him because you effectively have enough cards to play 2 turns longer than he has. So he has to either give up the round (which makes you win if you won the first round), or play and hope to have more STR than you, which means in the last round you will STILL have more cards (and more turns) than him basically giving you the win anyway.

And I understand!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!!!!!

But I still think that is not a permanent solution if you still have spies. If spies are out (removed) from the game then the mechanic is UNNECESSARY, if spies are still in the game (but nerfed) the mechanic will not help a lot because it changes the number of cards for both sides equally (unless a Spy will reduce your card draw for the next round).

So the solution still remains the same. Keep the 2 card draw in round 2, but remove it for round 3 because it ruins the game.

Interesting to listen to, some great points both for and against different changes that have been made recently. We appreciate the feedback and the effort you guys have put into doing this and look forward to the next episode :)

For starters: Yes, I also dislike the RNG involved with drawing a card and how it potentially nullifies a good read I made during round 1. But I can accept that RNG often appeals to a lot of players, especially those playing at the lower end of the spectrum. RNG elements in games inherently even out the skill level of players (somewhat), as for the player behind it is a chance to come back into the game and for the player ahead it is a risk of losing an otherwise won game. And a lot of people will enjoy the experience of always having a chance until round 3, if only they can just get those better draws than their opponent!

But I never see anyone mention what, for me personally, is the main reason I dislike the card draw mechanic in this state.

I feel it really limits round 1 plays in a deck that tries to utilize Muster, Weatherbound or any other effect that allows you to pull things from your deck. For these decks you have a lot of potential dead draws (cards that would've been pulled onto the board anyway, regardless of whether they are in your hand or in your deck).

In a scenario where you play a 25 card deck, like the KTS, there is a 1/15 chance to pull a bad card, per card. In a deck that tries to utilize these mechanics (and there are a lot of cards like this in Gwent) I reckon it is fair to assume there are at least 4-6 of those dead draws in your deck. That means roughly a 33% chance of drawing a dead card, per draw!

This is a high enough risk that you're almost forced to try to get all of your Musterlike effects out of your hand during round 1. This really cuts down on the strategy involved.
Additionally, in a meta where your opponent can quickly recognize the deck you're playing he can probably quite easily pass early in round 1 and force you to take the bad draw odds.

I don't think it's healthy for the game if the strategy for such a core mechanic gets limited by a draw mechanic.

Top Bottom