State of the Game is Terrible

+
Another issue is matchmaking, stop playing with it and really make it random. There is no fun in making a deck just to have YOU present me with the counter. May as well go make the strongest meta deck.

Absolutely 100% this, this and this again.

I'd rather win and lose spectacularly, but completely randomly, than get "paired" against a competitive deck. The clear issue is the RNG deal. Sure, you can pair two competitive decks, but if my deal is WAY better than the oppo I'll win; I just cannot fathom having the deal so random and unbalanced, yet having some kind of algorithm that fixes matchmaking. It's absurd.

Honestly I faced traps three games out of four so stuck White Frost in my deck - not only do I now never face traps, but I get White Frost consistently dealt in my opening hand. Three games in a row I ended up mulliganing into White Frost in R3. I mean, there's so many issues with this i can't even begin.

Most of the stuff i read about Removal and Lock and the people who defend it - is that Engines Cannot be left alone and that ''Armor and whatever after the Expansion comes'' will make the Engine / Order Cards better.

I still don't understand - how are you going to save / buff / dispel something that is not even on the Board?
How are you going to balance basic Bronze Cards like Drowner and V'Brigade that move your Units(Seltkirk , Nenneke , Vysogota etc) on the Opposite Row making them unusable , and please don't tell me that you'll put other stuff to bait the move ...
How many dispels do i need against 2x Alba , Letho , Auckes (4 Kappa) etc?
Looking at the big pictures is that this is a chain reaction , a simple bronze card that cost 2x / 2.5x less provisions than a Core Card can ruin your whole Setup , your whole Deck Concept.
The only time one does develop strategy and engines , is if the enemy has bad draws or does something wrong.
Also , what kind of ''Competitive'' Game is this where every one runs 3 Witches with a Horse , 2 Unicorns , Ifrit , A Bearded Man that does hit the same cards and a Row Line Spell?
Good think you're getting a single card that purifies 2 of your dudes at the same time then.

Good think you're getting a single card that purifies 2 of your dudes at the same time then.
I think , you didn't read all the posts and concerns.
How and what am i going to purify , if i have no units/cards on the board , or if they are moved on the other Row?
You know , the ones like Seltkirk , Nenneke , Vyso , Old Natalis ... Avalac'h?!? Yeah , those ones that get moved by Cards like Drowner and Vryched Riders.

In the pre-homecoming version of Gwent control was just a meme and engines were balanced around "tempo", which was toned down to oblivion in homecoming, you should not pretend that not to be what kept engines in check.

And by the way, engine overload already works, not to mention that Avallac'h exists in case you really want to have a fragile unit like Vysagota be uninteractable.

In Beta Gwent tempo was king, but you cannot say that engines where non existent and were balanced solely on that.
Examples?
Used engines:
- greatsword and light longship -> interesting because (even if many regarded these cards as braindead, they are not at the high end of skill ceiling) they rise many good dynamics:
greatsword:
- enhance carryover by strenghtening himself (was it balanced? I mean, give it timer 3, give it strenghten 1, tweak here and there, bla bla, that's not the point..), so future plays development (or fodder for vicovaro medic and silver ghouls?)
- can absorb damage (even from opponent's weather or AoE damage)
- has a timer! so opponents has more windows of response (without adding that ugly and inelegant order effects)
- has impact on the turns/rounds pace (how much can I play without greatsword going out of control?)
light longship:
- change points distribution (damage on the left, boost self)
- can be answered immediately or wait until boost is stacked
- vulnerable to reset and sinergies can be stopped with spies positioning
- self alignment danger
- vran warrior and nekker -> another extremely interesting engine mechanic! Extremely high skill ceiling (even if people think not. Go to see ProNeo going through double sweers:
).
- Again, an engine with a timer and careful positioning can set up really nice plays and long term planning
- Timer 2 gives the opponent the chance to answer in 2 turns!
- Timer 2 means that it impact in the turns/round pace... the basic of Gwent!
- pay attention to not go too high
- effective even if I pass, opponent must take it into consideration
- high risk (stacking boosts) high reward
- many answers by moving/spies etc

But we can even look at
- Weathers: spawned mainly by mages, etc, but even here timing and balance were important: when do I affect a row with the weather? How much will the round go on? What about any clear/pass?
- Vrihedd Dragoon
- Redanian Knight elect
- Imlerith Sabbath
- Full Moon/Blood moon
- Spies synergy (sort of triggered engine)

And control options were common in pretty much all the decks, even if there were no full control decks (beside spellatel? but even that has the dol blathanna sentries as high tempo finishers? does it count as control so?). Also Viper witchers were a tempo-control deck, even if their removal had nice tempo (but it had many weakness that could be exploited in many ways (weather, removal or moving for the ale, etc), has consistency issue with alchemy cards and, strangely enough for a tempo deck, was unable to push deep into round 1 due to resurrections........)
You can even argue that the vast majority of decks were midrange-like, with a mixture of tempo, engines and control options (but control options were even a lot different! Coral, Mandrake, spawned thunders, etc all answered in different ways and were useful in different scenarios, where engines were balanced to survive only to some types of removal).

Now removal is pretty much all the same: either
1- damage the enemy (engine?) [enough to kill it] or
2- hard lock the enemy (engine?) [and forget about it] -> why not put a timer to most of the locks, for examples?

Mind that I am not saying that CDPR should implement a pure engine rewarding gameplay!
That would be bad too!

But engines must have a more prominent role and should be interesting: have timers, distribute points (and not merely boost themselves!) having maximum charges to balance them if needed (look at old arachas behemoth), and should work alongside trigger effects.

And giving hard immunity to an engine is bad! That dynamic will always just be abused in a bad way.
Engines should be design with actual indirect possible answers (something like the Beta example I made of answer Beta Archeospore with Mahakam Marauder, while angines can still be occasionally hard removed by specific cards) and with the turns/round pace and passes in mind, so to offer players a meaningful choice that impact the actual core of the game! That's why HC needs to learn from Beta Gwent (from its flaws, because Beta Gwent had many problems!) AND took a step forward: not just take another direction.

Let's not flat issues down pretending everything is fine, please.

I always check from time to time if Gwent is worth spending some time on again. (Was a vivid player in open beta, but then quit because of obvious reasons). With Crimson Curse coming, I wonder if any cards will actually be left on the board with all that removal. Engine cards are so weak anyway and there are already so many ways to kill them and almost none to protect them. What a joke.

I always check from time to time if Gwent is worth spending some time on again. (Was a vivid player in open beta, but then quit because of obvious reasons). With Crimson Curse coming, I wonder if any cards will actually be left on the board with all that removal. Engine cards are so weak anyway and there are already so many ways to kill them and almost none to protect them. What a joke.

Agreed however a LOT of shield cards are being added to the game which might help a lot.

That's what I'm worried about as well honestly. As soon as I saw bleeding and poison, I thought "this will completely kill engines."

Sure they're adding shields and purify but will those abilities even matter when most cards can't even survive a turn? That's why I'm skeptical about the expansion. Some cards look great though.

That's what I'm worried about as well honestly. As soon as I saw bleeding and poison, I thought "this will completely kill engines."
Sure they're adding shields and purify but will those abilities even matter when most cards can't even survive a turn? That's why I'm skeptical about the expansion. Some cards look great though.
Isn't it exactly the opposite? Due to poison and bleed, engines will stay on board at least 1 turn. And probably even more, as bleed needs more time to kill and poisoning an engine is pretty much an overkill and therefore not worth it.

Isn't it exactly the opposite? Due to poison and bleed, engines will stay on board at least 1 turn. And probably even more, as bleed needs more time to kill and poisoning an engine is pretty much an overkill and therefore not worth it.

That would be the case if you could play two cards at the same time. I don't think shields will have that much of an impact but I'm hoping they do. Remember that they will most likely only protect it from one ping of damage.

I am not sure they're gonna nerf witchers. It's a bad example. Cause with Fauve + Water of Brokilon for example, you can achieve the same power pool (Fauve being a gold, it brings Roach to the table as well). So I think they rather provide an alternative to witchers, which is a good thing in my opinion.

I have heard differently, they just don't get it no matter how much you talk. Just like unicorn and Chironex, they are already a total of 8 a piece at 9 provisions and a potential 4 points extra if you manage to keep one on the board which isn't that easy in a game state in which there is nothing but removal going around. Both things will be nerfed to the ground until they are unplayable like shield and spear.
https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/b26rjj

I think bleeding and poison are great additions (and, as others said, do not affect negatively engines - or at least poison is strong only against "badly designed" engines->aka cards that boost themselves every turn).
Think about:

Dryad Ranger
Harmony.
Deploy: Damage an enemy unit by 2. If it survived, give it Poison.

This is one of the BEST designed cards.
It can represent a double attack!! (we need to see if it is too weak or too good, but that's not the point): Play it and poison a unit-> suddenly opponent has two threats:
1- a second poison on his unit would destroy it
2- Harmony can start going for value
And lead to interesting decisions: what will the opponent do? Purify/answer to the poison and let Harmony be? Or answer the Harmony engine and let the poison as an open threat?
Not to mention the bluffing possibilities and much more..
The removal in here is also not enough to remove a unit in one blow ("only" two damage).

As for the shields (that are absolutely fantastic additions!), the problem are designs like order effects! You can just MANUALLY ping the shield for 1 value (without playing a card... just use the order effect, what an interesting mechanic!) and then destroy the engines with a full damage card.
This way it will be unlikely for shields to absorb more than 1 damage pings.
The problem is solved if, instead of orders, we would have pure engines (that activate at a particular condition at the end or the beginning of the turn) timers and triggers... It would be not possible to tactically optimize every single boring points.... XD

I must say, Gwent is back. I'm having more fun than ever. I didn't believe that would happen, what a roller-coaster it was. GG CDPR. GG indeed.

I must say, Gwent is back. I'm having more fun than ever. I didn't believe that would happen, what a roller-coaster it was. GG CDPR. GG indeed.

I wouldn't exactly say Gwent is back but I'm definitely much less frustrated now than when I made this post lol. I really am enjoying all the new mechanics that were added with the expansion, I think it has been mostly good for the game. Every now and then I still get annoyed, but not as much as before. A lot of the cards I had problems with were nerfed so that's good lol.

I wouldn't exactly say Gwent is back but I'm definitely much less frustrated now than when I made this post lol. I really am enjoying all the new mechanics that were added with the expansion, I think it has been mostly good for the game. Every now and then I still get annoyed, but not as much as before. A lot of the cards I had problems with were nerfed so that's good lol.

Really?
Control with almost no units is back. Thx to the bombs.
Thx god i havent run in many of them... but i play it myself right now and i must say "Yes.. i definetly deserve no GG!"
Woodland Spirit, Francesca or Eldain are too amazing with all the new spells, bombs and whatsoever.
And these juicy immune units (Werwolves, Saessenthesis, etc) are really helpful.
Maybe they are not as strong as they were with spears and shield... but still very, very annyoing and not funny to play against.
Just some examples:

https://gwentup.com/decks/8154

https://gwentup.com/decks/8616

Really?
Thx god i havent run in many of them... but i play it myself right now and i must say "Yes.. i definetly deserve no GG!"
Woodland Spirit, Francesca or Eldain are too amazing with all the new spells, bombs and whatsoever.
And these juicy immune units (Werwolves, Saessenthesis, etc) are really helpful.
Maybe they are not as strong as they were with spears and shield... but still very, very annyoing and not funny to play against.
Just some examples:

If we didn't have the crappy provision system , everyone could run Scorch and if we had a working and actually normal thinning system and proper Tutor cards , the spell decks could never keep up.
Before you or someone else mentions the ''Spelatel'' or whatever was called in the GWENT Beta - it was never an Top Tier Deck.

Btw , the same joke is the Ale Artifact that everyone netdecks atm with Meve and ~99.9% of the people just don't run artifact removal or the Bran players just discard them without thinking.

I think that most of the cards and stuff in this game is ok , but provisions , no limit on golds and 2 max bronze from 1 type just makes the game grotesque.

The provision system is there to regulate the meta and to ensure a better variety/rate of play of weaker cards. So it is far from crappy and definitely brings more benefits than drawbacks.

It also makes the game friendlier to newcomers that have to take some time to build their collections. It's very similar to a salary cap in professional sports.

The provision system is there to regulate the meta and to ensure a better variety/rate of play of weaker cards. So it is far from crappy and definitely brings more benefits than drawbacks.

It also makes the game friendlier to newcomers that have to take some time to build their collections. It's very similar to a salary cap in professional sports.
Yeah , that's why the Decks played in the GWENT Open were so homogenized and the same will happen in the next Tournament.
Also you again spilled bull without thinking the above explanation about this grotesque system.

Really?
Just some examples:

Really what? I actually took a break from the game because I lost to a spell deck. I was too frustrated. At least these decks aren't very popular at the moment. I can definitely see CDPR tackling this issue soon.

OP I'll trade you I've had 4 decks for days.

Dana harmony
Dana boost
Dwarf boost
Hyper random Nilfgaard ending in double Garrison.

Top Bottom