State of the world in The Witcher 4 [Spoilers]

+
State of the world in The Witcher 4 [Spoilers]

Let's imagine for a minute that the devs have decided to make The Witcher 4 after all. I don't think it would be possible to take all the decisions made by players in the third game into account. Maybe TW4 should ignore the player's decisions replacing them with canon.
What do you think, which state of the world should be set as canon? Is Geralt with Triss or with Yen or alone? What happens to Ciri?

I think that the game should have the following developments:
1. Geralt tried living with Yen, but they eventually split up. Or she dies. ;) (In case they are still together, she shouldn't show up until the final scene).
2. Ciri became an empress.
3. Radovid is still ruling Redania.
4. Roche and Dijkstra are alive. This circumstance will help smooth over the utterly ridiculous quest in TW3.

Just for naivety I'll partake in this conversation. There is almost zero chance that what you've described will happen - Witcher 4 being a continuation of Wild Hunt - but I wish it would.

1. Absolutely place Geralt and Yen together.
2. Ciri becomes a witcher.
3. Radovid rules over the North.
4. Roche and Dijkstra are alive.
5. Kiera and Lambert are together.
6. Triss is in Kovir.
7. Gaetan is alive.
8. Eskel returns to Kaer Morhen.
9. Cerys is Queen of Skellige.

I would strongly prefer if the endings of Wild Hunt were not destroyed, and the previous games did not have "canon" endings, even if their choices did not matter much in the sequels. Anyway, as the default ending, I suggest:

Ciri witcher if she is the protagonist (kind of hard to avoid then), witcher or dead otherwise, empress could be difficult to import because of the consequences to the world politics, it would also imply Nilfgaard winning and lock out other endings. I do somehow suspect that a Ciri sequel is a possibility, even if I would not like one myself. Although I can also imagine that she would start as an empress (or would be about to become one) in the prologue, but lose the throne for some reason, and the actual story could begin from there.

Geralt alone if he is the protagonist (unlikely, it has been stated many times since about 2013 that his story is over), save import should be possible otherwise. Even if he appears in a Ciri sequel as an NPC, his romances are not important enough to the story that acknowledging them would require more than a few dialogue changes here and there and maybe a Letho-like cameo. If for some reason CDPR do make a new game with Geralt, then locking him into a romance from the beginning would not be a good idea in my opinion. It would be difficult to break it again in a credible way if it is with Yennefer, which also looks like the most "final" ending with his retirement in Toussaint. The ending with Triss seems to be a more interesting starting point, but it could very well just end up being a repeat of TW2. No romance after skipping some years gives the writers the most freedom, and it is also the ending where he remains a witcher and does not retire.

Svanrige rules Skellige, no particular preference here, it is just the "neutral" option so I pick that if there is no good reason to choose otherwise. Anyway, I think that Skellige would not be a location in the next game, with it being a fairly isolated place and the existing titles not recycling locations when not really necessary. Therefore, with no quests taking place in Skellige, the relevance of this choice could be limited to some brief mentions in dialogues or readables, and then implementing a proper save import should not be difficult.

Radovid or Nilfgaard wins, but I do not have anything against Dijkstra either, it just somehow feels less likely. This choice seems to be quite hard to import if the new story does take place in the Northern Realms again. It would also not be easy to contrive an explanation how all the endings ultimately lead to the same outcome (Radovid, Dijkstra and Emhyr all assassinated and someone else wins?), unless a relatively long time like 10-20 years passes between the events of the two games. Ultimately, the best world state is whatever suits the story of the sequel the best, but we do not know enough to tell for sure what that would be.

In general, judging also from how it was done in the existing games/expansions:
- optional content not done: that rule alone leaves only 2 endings (Ciri witcher/dead, Geralt alone, Radovid, Svanrige)
- if an NPC can be dead, then dead

Note that the above are not necessarily based on what my preferred ending is, but rather what I think would be a decent starting point from the writing point of view. The happiest or most popular world state is also often not the one that is the best to start a new game from, for an interesting story, one might actually want something the main characters are not entirely satisfied with.

In the end, I would prefer a new story that is not a continuation of Wild Hunt - all the endings remain equally valid in that case.

Last edited:
I can understand having a default "canon" for those that are new to the series and have no vested interest in the outcome of Wild Hunt. Bioware does that sort of thing. Usually it just assumes player inaction, e.g. Keira Metz would be dead by default because the player has to make a concerted effort to persuade her to go to Kaer Morhen.

Paired with that option, however, should be the ability to plug in a few key choices from Wild Hunt. Did Ciri survive her confrontation with the White Frost? Did Geralt end up with Yennefer or Triss? When you think about it, there are really only three or four major decisions that have lasting ramifications for Geralt as a protagonist. I don't see why it would be that hard for CDPR to honor them.

In a sense they've already declared a canon, since there's a comic that continues the story after W3 and is co-written by CDPR.
However, all 3 endings of the main game could also merge into the Witcher ending. In the bad ending Ciri can teleport in and save Geralt, and in the Empress she could simply run away before taking the throne, since the ending only states that she is being prepared to take the throne, not that she actually ever took it.
CDPR already stated that Geralt's story has ended, if there is a Witcher 4 it will almost certainly have Ciri or a totally new character (possibly from a yet unexplored school) as a protagonist.
Create-a-characterfags are delusional, it will never happen in this series, Konrad has said that they plan to scratch that itch with CP77.

Last edited:

sv3672

Forum veteran
Twardyk;n7952150 said:
In a sense they've already declared a canon, since there's a comic that continues the story after W3 and is co-written by CDPR.

A comic by itself does not really declare a canon in the games before it on the timeline, it is a separate and different medium. It can explore what happens after one particular ending without officially saying that the others are not valid. There is already another comic included with Hearts of Stone that was written with the assumption that Iorveth's path was chosen in the second game, but Roche is still valid and also the default in TW3. In theory, it would even be possible to release more than one comic for each scenario. Or a game sequel where Ciri is empress no matter what.

The comic also does not necessarily contradict the empress ending if it is not too long after the end of the main game, the epilogue is already half a year later, while Blood and Wine is even further in the future. Thus, the events of the comics are still possible in the time frame before she becomes an empress. Although I did not read them, so I do not know for sure if there is any content that clearly disagrees with any particular ending other than Ciri being dead.

In any case, if CDPR did canonize endings for the sake of a comic (or it was decided already before the release of the game, just not revealed), that in my opinion would not speak well for how much "choices" are worth in their games. It would make it look like they are included mainly for business/marketing reasons as a checklist feature, rather than something that adds any real value. On the other hand, that might also explain the shift towards having more clearly defined "good" and "bad" choices, as opposed to the moral greyness of the previous games.

However, all 3 endings of the main game could also merge into the Witcher ending.

That is indeed very likely to happen in the case of a Ciri sequel, maybe with some short and contrived explanations given how she ended up becoming a witcher anyway. Although running away from the responsibility associated with being an empress would not make the character look good. But I did not like the sections of playing as her in TW3 regardless, so chances are I would not buy the game.

Create-a-characterfags are delusional, it will never happen in this series, Konrad has said that they plan to scratch that itch with CP77.

It can happen if the concept is successful enough in Cyberpunk. They already wanted it in the early stages of developing the first game, even if the plans changed later.

Last edited:
Well, Geralt will definitely not be the protagonist of the next TW game so basically - since you don't need to actually show it - it should be easy to respect the players choices here. Same for Keira and Lambert...

It might get more tricky if for example Ciri is the protagonist because her fate in TW3 affects the setup of the new story. Then again it's not that clear yet that she actually actually goes through with being Empress. So maybe she decides that it's not the right thing for her and flees... which would put her in a similar position as we can see for example in the Witcher-Ending...

However the new story could happen for example 100 years later as well. That would mean the whole world changes a lot since the last game and certain TW3 decisions are less crucial.

Twardyk;n7952150 said:
However, all 3 endings of the main game could also merge into the Witcher ending. In the bad ending Ciri can teleport in and save Geralt, and in the Empress she could simply run away before taking the throne, since the ending only states that she is being prepared to take the throne, not that she actually ever took it.
CDPR already stated that Geralt's story has ended, if there is a Witcher 4 it will almost certainly have Ciri or a totally new character (possibly from a yet unexplored school) as a protagonist.

Rafal_Jaki addressed this on a reddit thread:

To answer some of the questions: - the story takes place after w3 - in our minds Ciri has become a Witcher and is traveling with Geralt so you can say it is "canon" but we had to make a choice to tell the story. If your Ciri is gone or she is with Emhyr that is still valid

I don't think they are trying to cancel out the choices of those players that followed a different path. The comic book is a "what if," i.e. what if Geralt settles down with Yennefer and Ciri becomes a witcher.

In any case, I agree with sv3672 that the comics are a different medium and what occurs in them does not necessarily dictate the content and character of future games.

sv3672

Forum veteran
Pug.;n7971650 said:
Rafal_Jaki addressed this on a reddit thread:
To answer some of the questions: - the story takes place after w3 - in our minds Ciri has become a Witcher and is traveling with Geralt so you can say it is "canon" but we had to make a choice to tell the story. If your Ciri is gone or she is with Emhyr that is still valid

Well, that does not sound very reassuring when phrased that way, not to mention the game itself is already rather leaning towards the witcher ending. By the way, does the comic actually confirm it as a fact that Geralt settles down with Yennefer? I mean, she can play a role (even a major one) in a comic about Ciri without implying romance, after all, she is still Ciri's adoptive mother.

Edit: it might be interesting to see what happens in the soon (?) to be released GWENT single player campaigns.

Last edited:
Personally, I couldn't care less about a comic book or its story. Geralt's story I played took place and ended in the games. If a sequel was to be made, I would certainly expect it to be a sequel to the game and not some comic book and as such respect the events that can possibly happen in the games. It is kind of disappointing to see them water down the game story to make some quick money of a comic book, especially after the whole "Geralt's story is over" but as long as it doesn't affect the future games, I don't really have a big problem with it.

If a hypothetical sequel is to be made however, whether or not player choice is respected will be the number one factor in deciding whether I want to buy and play the game or not. Because if they decide to force a canon ending on all, I'll have to skip the game all together and I'd hate that considering I love these games to death. The main reason I love and play TW games is their story, characters and the freedom to make my own choices. Take player choice away and the game loses its main appeal as an RPG.

And like sv3672 has said already, making the choices from TW3 irrelevant would also make it very hard to ever take the choices offered in their future games seriously. What would be the point of having choices at all if you already know that CDPR will just ignore them and force only one of the offered paths. If they decide to declare a canon ending for a sequel, they might as well just remove the player choice completely and switch from RPG to action adventure type of game.

But CDPR themselves have often been saying how player choice is very important to them, it has been a staple in their games so far and I like to believe they will stay true to that and respect the choices their players made and they themselves offered in the first place. Imo, it would go against what they claimed was their core philosophy if they didn't, and I like to have faith that they won't do that.

sv3672;n7972880 said:
Well, that does not sound very reassuring when phrased that way, not to mention the game itself is already rather leaning towards the witcher ending. By the way, does the comic actually confirm it as a fact that Geralt settles down with Yennefer? I mean, she can play a role (even a major one) in a comic about Ciri without implying romance, after all, she is still Ciri's adoptive mother.

Edit: it might be interesting to see what happens in the soon (?) to be released GWENT single player campaigns.

Not sure whether it confirms a Yenn / Geralt romance ... all I know is that Yennefer appears in the comic alongside Geralt, and Triss is absent. The Gwent campaigns will indeed be interesting. I'm curious when they will take place.

devivre;n7964260 said:
Well, Geralt will definitely not be the protagonist of the next TW game

I think that in five-six years a new game with Geralt starring will come out. The story started in TW1 is over, but the story of Geralt is not finished yet.

Twardyk;n8037450 said:
I think that in five-six years a new game with Geralt starring will come out. The story started in TW1 is over, but the story of Geralt is not finished yet.
Ah, the naive hope that flutters in my own heart.

CDPR themselves have stated that Geralt's tale is over. However, it seems to me, like many newcomers to the series, that his tale was simply too short. Game developers have been known to go back on their word when necessary, and I'd be happy if CDPR did it just this once. I find it very hard to imagine myself playing a Witcher game, after building the world in my head with the games that CDPR has made, without Geralt as the main character. It just doesn't settle well with me.

At this point I'd be happy just running about as Geralt doing contracts and living a normal, average life as a witcher - something like Wild Hunt but without the main story and more in-depth casual, every day mechanisms and systems.

Twardyk;n8037450 said:

Geralt has a perfect ending and CDPR already said that they are done with Geralt. In this case it makes little sense to reconsider. I can pretty much assure you that Witcher 4 will have a different protagonist. But we'll meet Geralt in 'Gwent' solo campaigns :)

Last edited:
Just for naivety I'll partake in this conversation. There is almost zero chance that what you've described will happen - Witcher 4 being a continuation of Wild Hunt - but I wish it would.

1. Absolutely place Geralt and Yen together.
2. Ciri becomes a witcher.
3. Radovid rules over the North.
4. Roche and Dijkstra are alive.
5. Kiera and Lambert are together.
6. Triss is in Kovir.
7. Gaetan is alive.
8. Eskel returns to Kaer Morhen.
9. Cerys is Queen of Skellige.
I dream of this

IMO it would be too much work to accomodate the different endings of the Witcher 3. It was already too much work to accomodate the different endings (to a great degree) of Witcher 2, as Iorveth, Aryan, Sile, and Adda don't appear, as it would've been too much work to accomodate their respective fates.

(Sorry for waking up old thread but need to get 10 posts so I can make one to ask for help modding)

Top Bottom