Status Animations are actually Awesome

+

rrc

Forum veteran
While 6.2 on release was a huge disaster, I think it was mainly due to the implementation of Status animations. All the invisible things should have been related to new animation implementation for both status and card draws. Now that the issues are fixed quickly, I was wondering if all these issues were even worth it. And IMO, it is. We all can agree that it should have been properly tested and shouldn't have been almost-dead-on-arrival, but the animation effects are actually super cool.

I am yet to find out about Immunity, but I had seen for most other statuses. Just played a game and was trying a Bounty deck and was pleasantly surprised by the Bounty animation. It is actually the best status animation. What is your most favorite status animations? Mine in the order:
1) Bounty - the best hands down
2) Lock - very cool and is awesome
3) Resilience - very cool
Doomed, Poison and Shield are good - the persistent effect of shield on the whole card is a nice take. Bleeding/Vitality animation when they are given are also good.

Whenever I play Figgis... Those shields and necromancy style doom effects stamped to the board. Very powerful animation and.. get killed by poison next turn... powerful effects invites powerful impact.

Immunity looks simple and cool. Like green sharingan awakening, rotate effect (used to read naruto) :beer:

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
While 6.2 on release was a huge disaster, I think it was mainly due to the implementation of Status animations.

Therein lies three problems:
1. Such a "little" feature caused so many issues.
2. Patches aren't being tested enough.
3. CDPR thought the feature was important for the game.

Points 1 and 2 have already been all over the forums; not going to repeat those. Point 3 has me worried a bit that the devs are focusing on the wrong features. When you compare the simplistic visuals of Gwent Beta with the current Gwent and ask which one looks better, I guess most players will answer the latter. However, when you ask those same players how important those visuals are, what are they going to answer? That answer should determine the importance of adding (more) visuals to the game. Either, I am underestimating it or the devs are overestimating it.

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
What I like on those animations is ... that they are fast, so I can bear with them. I would still prefer option to turn them off completely. If animations were really source of many trouble in current version, having option in settings to turn them off could be used as a workaround in case of troubles and would probably relieve some stress from developers team for having workaround already in place, so people can play with relative comfort even if animations are bugged and fix is still being "under construction".

I prefer functionality over vanity. I have premium cards turned off in settings and I use regular versions in my deck, not premium versions. I play chess with minimalistic and schematic graphics instead of battlechess with animated pieces on board illustrated as a battlefield panorama.

It is nice that people who like vanity approach have their dreams fulfilled, but I would be happy if there would also be minimalistic option in settings.

• RED Point
I already said this in the update 6.2. thread, but I absolutely love the new Lock effect. Makes especially Muzzle really satisfying to play when the unit gets chained up and then snatched. :D

The Doomed one is pretty cool, too, and Resilience is awesome. Bounty and Shield I've not seen yet, but I wonder if the Shield one is the same as Quen was in beta.

Poison I've seen, but I guess I've just failed to note the effect as I don't remember anything except the vial icon appearing. :think:

I think the Doomed one is especially useful as Doomed is rarely applied by another card; it's usually applied on deploy or spawn, so with the animation it's much easier to notice than it used to be.

• RED Point

rrc

Forum veteran

Points 1 and 2 have already been all over the forums; not going to repeat those. Point 3 has me worried a bit that the devs are focusing on the wrong features. When you compare the simplistic visuals of Gwent Beta with the current Gwent and ask which one looks better, I guess most players will answer the latter. However, when you ask those same players how important those visuals are, what are they going to answer? That answer should determine the importance of adding (more) visuals to the game. Either, I am underestimating it or the devs are overestimating it.
Agreed, 100% Even if the animations were not there, no one is going to miss them. And breaking the game for pure visual aspect is actually never acceptable. And focusing too much on the visual aspect and not actually adding content or doing something about balance is also bad. If those animations were added without any bugs, it would have been nice.
It is nice that people who like vanity approach have their dreams fulfilled, but I would be happy if there would also be minimalistic option in settings.
Yes.. the visual, though are great, is not actually needed. I mean, if it is not there, no one is going to miss it. But I really liked the Bounty animation. Had to create this thread for that. They had put a lot of time and efforts for these animation.

I already said this in the update 6.2. thread, but I absolutely love the new Lock effect. Makes especially Muzzle really satisfying to play when the unit gets chained up and then snatched. :D

The Doomed one is pretty cool, too, and Resilience is awesome. Bounty and Shield I've not seen yet, but I wonder if the Shield one is the same as Quen was in beta.

Poison I've seen, but I guess I've just failed to note the effect as I don't remember anything except the vial icon appearing. :think:

I think the Doomed one is especially useful as Doomed is rarely applied by another card; it's usually applied on deploy or spawn, so with the animation it's much easier to notice than it used to be.
No, shield is a yellowish border all around the card
Post automatically merged:

Aesthetics is a big point of Gwent as this game has probably the best art among all card games. I think they want to double down to make it a bigger selling point.
However the issue is who they want to sell it to. Structurally HC is very appealing to mobile crowds
(Two rows, simplified when compared to Beta), so I think they are pandering towards casual mobile users with flashy graphics.

Agree with OP, as a relatively new player I really do appreciate the status effects - especially on mobile I've been nailed by shield in the past or struggled to find which unit was just poisoned/locked/doomed and it's now a lot more obvious.

It's a shame that it's come at the loss of stability but once this period of insanity is over the game will be both functionally better and flashier; until then have fun and maybe don't play ranked on Android...

Top Bottom