Stealing Coins [Discussion]

+
Was watching some Twitch earlier and thought about a new card type that could "steal" coin from the opponent.

This is obviously only good against syndicate.

I was watching these games against syndicate and was thinking about how helpless it feels going against syndicate when they have a full purse and you just know they are about to unload it on you.

Having a way to take a coin or two might make for some interesting mechanics and add another level of strategy. Cards would have to have another alternative besides just stealing coin, to make then more flexible such as "steal 2 coin or deal 2 damage to an enemy."

Just wanted to see what people think.

Was watching some Twitch earlier and thought about a new card type that could "steal" coin from the opponent.

This is obviously only good against syndicate.

I was watching these games against syndicate and was thinking about how helpless it feels going against syndicate when they have a full purse and you just know they are about to unload it on you.

Having a way to take a coin or two might make for some interesting mechanics and add another level of strategy. Cards would have to have another alternative besides just stealing coin, to make then more flexible such as "steal 2 coin or deal 2 damage to an enemy."

Just wanted to see what people think.

I like the concept, but I like the idea better if you get a couple of neutral fee units. Call them mercenaries. Now the coin theft has a specific value beyond sabotage. Coin generating could become a second feature on some less used neutrals. Do X on melee or give Y coins on ranged.

It would be an amazing mechanic, but it would require every faction to have a passive mechanic like SY coins.

It would be an amazing mechanic, but it would require every faction to have a passive mechanic like SY coins.
Every faction already has coins. Any time you play a crime card with Triss you get coins. What you need is a neutral card to expend those coins or a new tag which converts coins into something else. For example a neutral special that lets you create a bronze for 3 coins or a gold for 6.

In principle I'd say it's a good idea to have more interactivity, but Syndicate is already hard to play as is, without having people stealing coins

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
This has been discussed, at length, when SY came out. So, I am keeping it short and putting it as simple as possible.

Opponents not being able to directly interact with coins might be a bad decision. However, having a faction specific counter is an even worse design, no matter what. As such, the solution is not to make make new cards that only counter SY, but rather a redesign in how coins work.

Stealing coin from Leader. this conversation is going nowhere. Only Lockdown could do the magic.

This has been discussed, at length, when SY came out. So, I am keeping it short and putting it as simple as possible.

Opponents not being able to directly interact with coins might be a bad decision. However, having a faction specific counter is an even worse design, no matter what. As such, the solution is not to make make new cards that only counter SY, but rather a redesign in how coins work.

Or an expansion beyond coins being SY specific. They are the only faction with a unique power base. If neutral cards also used coins and some crimes were neutral, now coin theft makes more sense. In the alternative the way to block coins would be to lock fee cards before they can fully utilize their coins.

4RM3D

Ex-moderator
Or an expansion beyond coins being SY specific. They are the only faction with a unique power base. If neutral cards also used coins and some crimes were neutral, now coin theft makes more sense.

I like factions being unique and that's why I don't want to make coins available to all factions. I do, however, want to have a unique mechanic for all those factions. Every faction should get their own coin implementation for the sake of diversification. Monsters could deal in corpses that can be used to give units more strength or special abilities. Another example, Nilfgaard could have an intel mechanic, which can be used to reveal a card in the opponent's hand, among other things.

In the alternative the way to block coins would be to lock fee cards before they can fully utilize their coins.

Yes, I agree. The way opponents interact with coins is by eliminating the coin spenders.

I like factions being unique and that's why I don't want to make coins available to all factions. I do, however, want to have a unique mechanic for all those factions. Every faction should get their own coin implementation for the sake of diversification. Monsters could deal in corpses that can be used to give units more strength or special abilities. Another example, Nilfgaard could have an intel mechanic, which can be used to reveal a card in the opponent's hand, among other things.

Yes, I agree. The way opponents interact with coins is by eliminating the coin spenders.

I like this idea too. Faction identity is sorely lacking in Gwent. That said, more factions is also essential. The last faction challenge may have shown SY to be the least popular, but that won’t always be the case. More variety is achieved both by making units more unique and by having more factions.

I think it would be cool if all factions had their own mechanics, but at the same time it would defeat the purpose of Syndicate.

Maybe we could have specific commanders, like:
"Every time you play x type of card gain y currency that you can spend to play z"

Example: every time you play a soldier gain 1 morale and spend them to play either battle prep, ointment or a 4 provision soldier from your deck

It wouldn't give you points of its own, but would allow for a lot of flexibility

I like this idea too. Faction identity is sorely lacking in Gwent. That said, more factions is also essential. The last faction challenge may have shown SY to be the least popular, but that won’t always be the case. More variety is achieved both by making units more unique and by having more factions.
With 6 factions, Gwent isn't even remotely balanced. Adding more would almost definitely kill the game.

With 6 factions, Gwent isn't even remotely balanced. Adding more would almost definitely kill the game.
Actually more factions can help balance because you split the number of possible interactions into several different boxes, at the price of flavour and identity (often)

Top Bottom