Stealth gameplay is impossible

+
I always play RPG's using a stealth character and was extremely excited to do so in Cyberpunk.

Add the hacking elements and it was a dream come true.

Turns out its impossible.

The problem is that enemies spot you from a mile away and with no cover mechanic, that makes it worse.

Plus, there's no mechanic to show your visibility to enemies like in every other stealth game.

Add to this a glaring issue with your hacking scanner, the fact that you can't zoom in/out, or freely move the camera around to find hackable items.

So, in order to find hackable items, you need to get in prettt close. And then your spotted.

Its very apparent that CDPR spent most of their time making a beautiful game world and skipped on a lot of BASIC game mechanics.

Its extremely disappointing.

They spot you if you're exposed. Hide and you're good.
There is a mechanic to show you visibility to enemies, just find the right hack :)
You can Zoom in/out with the scanner. You can't if you're scanning but move it a bit upwards (to the sky for example) and suddenly you can zoom.

So, no it's not disappointing as hundreds of other things people are reporting (because it's cool to hate on the game?) - you just have to read more and I guess.. play better.

Good luck!

Madae

Forum veteran
This almost seems like a troll. I'm level 20 and have done more than half my missions with stealth, and I'm playing on hard too. If anything, it might be too easy. The hacking mechanics give you a bunch of ways to go about setting up assassinations, very cool mechanic indeed. Whistle to get someone in a good position, or distract to split a group, blind if I need to be quick on multiple targets. There is a perk to increase discovery time, but I haven't seen much use for it yet. Takeouts from above works well, too.

The problem is that enemies spot you from a mile away and with no cover mechanic, that makes it worse.

On the other hand, they won't spot you instantly even if you're standing right in front of them. You can use the time to just move to cover. Crouching kind of is irrelevant in regards to them spotting you, other than breaking line of sight by crouching behind cover. They also instantly forget you unless the spot meter goes full and they actually aggro.

Honestly, its almost too easy in regards to spotting. The problem however is that the NPC patrol routes are such that its nigh impossible to get things done without distractions. And hacking is pretty much required to create distractions and make them turn their backs to you. No way to say, pick up an empty tin can, and throwing it to create a distraction. I also find it bad that a failed hack will instantly alert all enemies in the area. This doesnt seem immersive? Youd think that they would instead go "huh? Whats with the camera?"

picking up, carrying, and particularly dropping a corpse/body down needs improvement however. It would be best if there was a way to throw a corpse a little bit, so you could throw them over a low fence, behind cover. Instead of just slowly setting them down which is usually where enemies spot you.

Lets say that there is a great deal of finetuning to be done in regards to stealth gameplay.

Its not impossible but very very hard, what makes one of my stealh missions impossible is some enemies are places that you can't acces from their behind so you need something like a ranged one shot thing like a sniper but there is no one shoting with guns (throwing knifes are sucks cause you need hundreds of knives I don't even mention them)

Its not impossible but very very hard, what makes one of my stealh missions impossible is some enemies are places that you can't acces from their behind so you need something like a ranged one shot thing like a sniper but there is no one shoting with guns (throwing knifes are sucks cause you need hundreds of knives I don't even mention them)

Or perhaps the doublejump cyber or something...

I'm a pretty bad stealth player and usually hate how games force it, because.. I just get frustrated since bad lol. But.. I'm okay-ish in CP2077. I move in cover, hack cameras to see the enemies, distract, creep behind and take down a few, sometimes more than one before I'm discovered. Few times when I've responded to robbery and the gang never saw me, amazing. But mostly I get spotted after one takedown, but it's fine for me.

stealth works very good, all you need is quickhack and breach. It's actually quite easy to play stealthy in hard difficulty

What annoys me is that you can not make a stealthy takedown from the side, when you manage to approach an enemy without being detected. Otherwise, it works for me mostly.

Yes, this should definitely be one improvement that the devs make. Make it so that if enemies haven't aggroed yet, you could grab them for the takedown from any direction or at least from the side in addition to back. A quick fix to stealth gameplay.

Sniper rifle + silencer + headshot will one shot kill targets without alerting others unless the body is in their LOS (try a tech rifle with charge shot for example). It will also pass through the target so you can, if you are careful, take out two at a time as well.

I'm willing to bet OP is making the same mistake my friend was making by assuming the game is scaled encounters, ran far out of his comfort zone and straight into a group of skulled mobs and/or missions that immediately reorganized his face.

I have many complaints about things that just aren't right or as advertised about the game. It really feels like a LOT of features got cut. However stealth in the game is not too bad. There is cyberware, and even mods for your shoes, that help you to sneak about. You can distract your enemies by hacking nearby objects, you can literally turn your enemy into a cyberpsycho and cause a massive distraction for yourself. Now while all of these features are great here are the negatives.

Sometimes the enemy ALWAYS knows where you are...with no discernable reason. Somehow when you've hacked someone and then run off to blend into the crowd they know that you're the hacker. Things like this do take away from the enjoyment of the game.

Guest 4406876

I always play RPG's using a stealth character and was extremely excited to do so in Cyberpunk.

Add the hacking elements and it was a dream come true.

Plus, there's no mechanic to show your visibility to enemies like in every other stealth game.

Add to this a glaring issue with your hacking scanner, the fact that you can't zoom in/out, or freely move the camera around to find hackable items.

So, in order to find hackable items, you need to get in prettt close. And then your spotted.

Its very apparent that CDPR spent most of their time making a beautiful game world and skipped on a lot of BASIC game mechanics.

Its extremely disappointing.
I have to strongly disagree with everything you mentioned but this "Add to this a glaring issue with your hacking scanner, the fact that you can't zoom in/out, or freely move the camera around to find hackable items." this is true for the first part and it's annoying.

Let's go tru the points
"The problem is that enemies spot you from a mile away and with no cover mechanic, that makes it worse."
Not true in fact you can sneak past EVERYBODY as long as you're crouched, I'm playing a stealth character with tech and hack and the game (in VERY HARD) is dumb easy all the time.

"Plus, there's no mechanic to show your visibility to enemies like in every other stealth game."
No you have it, they have eyes filling up slow as fuck on their heads even if you're in plain sight. they take forever to spot you, and, as long as you're crouched, they're totally blind (and that's stupid and makes stealth gameplay basically a cheat, even a low couch hides you completely, i know this because I only play stealth and I built my char around that only). If you refer to mechanics about dark and light and other things METRO style, yes there's not, as many other gameplay basics totally disregarded by CP77 and all this makes the game atrociously easy on very hard.

"So, in order to find hackable items, you need to get in prettt close. And then your spotted."
No you can hack from miles, try again.

"Its very apparent that CDPR spent most of their time making a beautiful game world and skipped on a lot of BASIC game mechanics."
This is true but about other things.

Plus stealth is broken when you kill often a guy from the back and he's close to a wall. It glitches out of the world and everybody gets alerted for no reason.

I'm playing a stealth build. Most gigs I don't even kill a soul. I normally kill if I think the people I'm infiltrating are dirtbags who deserve to die. Or if I'm caugth by my fault and not some janky AI or bug. If you hide they wont spot you(sometimes they may, but for me that bug rarely happens)
Mind you I'm playing at the hardest difficulty. But that doesn't mean CDPR should slack off with cruising the bugs.

Stealth in this game is cool, when you use
hacking and distraction you can move the Ai around to where you want them.
Then you can either take them down or sneak around them.
I think the combination of mechanics is quite good.

What annoys me is that you can not make a stealthy takedown from the side, when you manage to approach an enemy without being detected. Otherwise, it works for me mostly.

Same. Also sometimes the indicator/button-icon doesn't always show when you are behind them and crouching. For me on pc with controller. That's also annoying, don't know if other people have the same issue?

What's also a little bit unfair/annoying is that the enemy can do a quickhack hidden behind a wall without even seeing me (and the cameras are deactivated) . I can only do a quickhack if the enemy is in my sight (or via camera), but the enemy doesn't have the same problem. Don't know if anyone has the same problem or if it's just with my playthrough?

Still having fun with this game. Just inky these small issues.

Top Bottom