Stealth in this game is ridiculously bad

+
While the Stealth mechanic isn't the greatest, I did appreciate that you didn't have to pump your Stealth stat in order to be stealthy. Other attributes gave you different options for infiltration (body to tear doors open and tech to bypass other doors). And if you've got the right quick hacks, you can also bypass certain situations

Stealth in the game really bad. Enemies dumb and dief. Only on higher difiiculty they can notice some noise, anyway you can safely brake the doors just behind them. The system of "growing suspicion" out of date and not taken seriously. Enemies dont see you but notices the body of their ally even if its only boot sticking out of the corner. :facepalm:

Does anybody have the impression that the 'body detected' message (and the subsequent alert) is also triggered by blood stains and piece of bodies chopped off when using melee weapons?

I think the following adjustments are necessary to make stealth less repetitive and force more exploitation of the environment:
  • Range limit on hacking, range extends depending on the cyberdeck rarity
  • Hacking through a controlled device (like camera control) should be a perk or a cyberdeck bonus or cyberware functionality
  • When getting detected with a yellow "!", the NPC should turn toward what they are trying to identify (as a normal person would).
  • When getting detected with a red eye, the NPC should turn toward what they are trying to identify and slowly start walking toward the source to get a better view (as a normal person would).
  • If three or more bodies have been discovered, NPC should group up together to watch one another's back and patrol together OR find cover away from the bodies if they are not near other NPCs. (The current alert behavior is nice, but they should panic more when getting decimated from stealth.)
  • If a NPC had a patrol/standing route near another NPC, then that NPC is gone for too long, the NPC should look around himself more frequently as if nervous and say things like "Hey choom, where did you go?". (This would make the NPC a bit more likely to spot the player or bodies and become alert).
  • Cripple movement should be a covert quickhack, just like reboot optics, as it feels like a malfunction.
  • Contagion could be a covert quickhack that NPC build immunity to, so that it is not spammed from the shadows.
The effect of sound for detection is very unclear. Sound circles on the minimap (just like there is fov) and make NPC react more visibly to sound would also help teach the player its effects.

I have the opposite problem. If I hack a turret and turn it against a group of enemies, they somehow not only:
  1. know that it's being hacked, by an enemy, nearby, and not a netrunner from the other side of town
  2. know exactly where I am, even when hiding
  3. shoot immediately at me rather than the giant demon turret that is currently shooting them in the face, like survival is not a priority.
If CDPR added/fixed only one thing and it was AI, this game would be so much better.

Everyone talks about AI being potato when antagonized, being unable to deal with an obstacle on their driving path and all the other dumb stuff that happens, but stealth is the part of this game that really annoys me: my character can now 1 shot (on very hard) most enemies with quickhacks from a distance, but if you do that to one enemy in a group they will have absolutely no reaction to it except entering the "alerted state". So, you might think, that being in an alert state means that they will now start looking for you, right? No, they will stay in the same position forever talking s**t like "wHeRe Ur HidInG... CoMe OuT!". I mean, MGSV, a game from 2015 or so had better AI that reacted to everything: turn off a camera near an enemy? He will verify. Make a noise? He will go check. Enemies never forget you once they know something is wrong. Now in Cyberpunk, that is supposedly the landmark of the new generation of games, you can stealth kill an enemy that is not on the line of sight of any other enemy of the group, hide the body, and enemies will still enter alert mode. While you can by the other hand drop a body besides another enemy and he will stay there waiting for you to do the same with him. Some time I've opened a door right on top of an enemy, but as he was waiting for me to come from the other side he couldn't do absolutely nothing about it. So much for a "next gen, revolutionary" game.

I agree until the MGSV bit, MGSV is a stealth game, the whole gameplay is about infiltrating and dispatching of NPC's.
You really expected cyberpunk to be any where near a dedicated stealth and infiltration military espionage game?

I was expecting skyrim stealth - and this is probably a little worse, but comeon now how could you realistically compare it to MGSV when it comes to stealth and npc ai intelligence?

It doesn't matter that MGSV came out in 2015, it was always built around stealth and ai intelligence as the meat or cornerstone of the game.

Clearly cyberpunk was built around action and being a movie set piece type of game with stealth as a thing you can do, if you want.

and yes the stealth is ass
Post automatically merged:

After nearly 2 decades of being told how much I'd like MGS, I tried MGSV and deleted it after about 3 hours. Absolute garbage. The only positive was Keifer Sutherland but not even Jack Bauer could rescue that game for me.

Stealth in Cyberpunk is good.

Approach it from a realistic standpoint and you get optimal gameplay. Approach it with "their drug & alcohol infused friend just had an episode and is dead on the ground, why aren't they all out here looking for me?" and you will feel like an idiot.

How are these influenced individuals supposed to be 110% in the know of what is going on in the exact moment an event is happening?

If all the mercs & corpos ran around hacking everything under the sun, these criminal groups wouldn't exist. Presenting a unicorn as a horse is a foolish take.

It's also WAY easier to move quietly in dirt & grass than on concrete & pavement with rocks, pebbles, trash, glass, etc etc everywhere.. Especially considering if you have wind & natural plant movements that create enough sound to cover your mistakes.. You don't have this in a city where you are literally surrounded with accoustics.

Most negative arguments against this game are 100% illogical & nonsensical.

Getting very old seeing these posts with the added herd mentality that is so prevalent in today's world.

That's because MGSV is probably the worst entry point, a launch riddled with drama and controversy, the game was not finished, and Hideo didn't even want to make MGS4 let alone MGSV. Did you notice it says a game by hideo kojima after liek every cutscene? That is Hideo saying Fuck you to Konami cause they fired him and made him release it too early because it was costing too much money to keep developing.

The story in MGSV was weird and made no sense, the gameplay however is excellence in stealth with some of the best AI ever in my opinion.

Last edited:
Stealth in this game is absolutely atrocious and it pains me greatly since its my favourite way to play games when its possible (one of the reasons i like first 2 wolfensteain and all of dishonored games.) For some reason it was OKish on normal difficulty but when i switched to very hard it is straight up ridiculus. I play with silenced revolver so I can 1 tap ppl in the head from distance. I don't hide the bodies. I don't really care that enemies are in alerted state and look around for me. The problem is even if I drop someone that was alone at the time and their body is found, half of the time enemies don't go into alerted state. No, they just go straight into combat and know EXACLY where I am even thought i moved to the other side of the building. Right now I am replaying the game and I am recovering "the thing" from "the guy" and I finished entire first part of the mission by stealth killing and no enemy got red eye to even start to detect me. I took over every camera and stealth killed every person with 1 tap to the head. Apparently it doesnt matter because when i take the elevator down i IMMEDIATELY enter combat when the door opens. I saw on youtube that even when ppl entered combat, enemies would run towards the killed enemy to investigate and eventually drop the combat state when they were hidden. It doesnt happen to me 90% of the time. Enemies just straight up try to shoot me through obstacles. It is straight up stupid and makes playing the game this way incredibly frustrating.

I think one of the things that makes stealth seem so bad and unreliable is that whatever system they are using for calculating Line-Of-Sight is currently buggy and sometimes sees through solid objects.

On the plus side it works both ways. great for smart weapons. Just look at a dude through a wall and move around the room, you'll likely find a position to stand in that will allow you to lock onto an enemy you definitely shouldn't be able to see

Here is the problem with cameras that might gone unnoticed.
Not always but sometimes when a camera is shutdown by hacking it can become active again, like the npc in control room see it offline and turns it back online again.

If you instead use tech skill to turn camera off it will never go online again for the whole game.
Like in heist when going to your room you can shutdown cameras on lobby and corridor with tech skill and they will still be off during escape.

Bodies can be seen through walls concrete and water. When doing a gig I take body out of the building dump it into water so it lands behind a concrete ledge and wall. But it is instantly "discovered" by they guys inside the house. Very broken.

Same in saving someone from tyger claws I run the body around the block and put it next to some garbage bags run back to the building and find that they "discovered a body" this is the first body you knock out so it's impossible for them to discover other body.

It's like they do a count of active security and one is not answering and that will trigger missing body but then same would happen with hiding bodies also but it does not.

very broken.

But cameras I can understand, just use tech and turn them off, I guess with tech you rip the cable or something and there is no turning it back on again. Same goes for turrets if deactivated with hacking.

Why I simply started to rip them off instead making them permanently disabled for whole game.

Top Bottom