Stealth Mechanics?

+
Stealth Mechanics?

Just wondering if there would be any stealth gameplay.I know its a action game but i would like see different ways we could handle situations.

Whatever stealth is included in the game, under no circumstances give the player more exp for stealth kills.

Otherwise it creates a bias in the metagame for player builds.

Stealth should certainly be in there, but I hope they can come up with some new ideas because games have been rehashing the same stealth mechanics for years.

I'd really like stealth mechanics to not be a singular person thing, in an age of laser tripwires and intrusion detection, not to mention the ever present cameras watching everyone everywhere, unless you are equipped to the hilt, it would be quite difficult to do a whole stealth mission 'on your own'

Stealth should certainly be in there, but I hope they can come up with some new ideas because games have been rehashing the same stealth mechanics for years.

You gotta give us some ideas Slim! I like stealth games as much anyone else but the last one I played was Deus Ex so I'm a bit behind on how the stealth genre has advanced.

Which reminds NO COVER SYSTEM for shooting and stealth. It really is terrible how easy Deus Ex was.

I would really really really like to see stealth implemented exclusively through use of active camouflage or something similar. Ditch the crouch to hide mechanic, having that plus camo is redundant, and the crouch thing is overdone, slow, boring and uses up button on console. Flip on your camo implant and your hidden, like ghost in the shell.

Camo implants would need to be balanced, having a time limit or power consumption like deus ex, and you shouldn't be 100% invisible, just like the crouch mechanic it would replace. Line of sight, bumping shit, and sound/footsteps would also play a role, but nothing's stoping you from walking freely and sprinting away or at someone's throat if needed. Upgrades could maybe dampen footsteps, and make camouflage more efficient, and maybe a way to hack sensory implants.

The whole system should be realistic, weapons that go bang alert enemies, silent ones don't, unless your really close. And I don't want a HUD hidden/seen indicator, I should look around and any npc that sees me and gives a shit will be staring at me, and certain npcs won't care, crime is too common. This excludes big stuff like murder were you should be alone, whether your sniping on an abandoned roof top, or down in an alley. All intuitive stuff that would be common sense in real life. Also guards should react more sensibly, if they find someone dead they become uber paranoid, and when/if they stop looking at you, they still are alert and suspicious. The Arkham games do this well with heart rates and npcs firing desperately into the shadows.

And lastly as a personal request, you should be able to climb across ceilings, like Tenchu Z, to sneak past enemies or pounce kill them.

Relevant to topic:

Goddamn..is that a Tick comic? I SALUTE YOU SIR. May I say, "wub-wub-wub-wub-wub" and spoon?

From: http://hoosierinanity.blogspot.ca/2009/04/blue-heroes-rock.html

Stealth i cyberpunk. Oh it is to laugh. MAYBE if they get rid of the Solo boost to Awareness. And all the many cyberoptics designed to spot things. In the dark.

Vision cones and GOOD footstep/movement noise. That's how you sneak IRL. Very,v ery few games bother to track footstep sound or make it as clear as it should be. Perhaps some way of holding your breath and listening to footsteps?

Goddamn..is that a Tick comic? I SALUTE YOU SIR.
^^ man of impeccable taste, right here.

As far as making Stealth a mechanic in-game, I see it as a contested roll (in PnP terms.) The higher one's Stealth skeelz, the quieter they move through the environment (or, if they're wearing camo / some kind of optical camo, they appear "fuzzy" at distance.) The higher one's... er, Awareness (lil' help, PnP people?...), the sooner you hear / spot someone.

For vidya game mechanics, equal Steath and Awareness on both the defender and notice-r's parts would cancel each other out, and the notice-r would notice the Stealth-er at the default range (whatever that might be.)

Oh, the game has the stealth mechanics in place: range, lighting, opposed rolls of Awareness/Notice vs Stealth. Those rolls are about 1/3 random chance, 1/3 stat and 1/3 skill. Depending on which is higher, of course and Difficulty.

Vision cones and GOOD footstep/movement noise. That's how you sneak IRL. Very,v ery few games bother to track footstep sound or make it as clear as it should be. Perhaps some way of holding your breath and listening to footsteps?

We need a Whisperfoot implant.

Catspaw Stealth Foot: +1 to Stealth skill Chromebook 4.

Keep in mind, +1 is no joke, when skills range from 1 to 10.

They should still call it Whisperfoot, after all that cat paw stuff is 50 year old technology! *wink* *wink*

We need a Whisperfoot implant.

Why would I want my foot to talk at me? Quietly or not.

But in all seriousness, the PnP mechanism works well. There are also modifiers for distance, lighting and other conditions. It would also allow exceptional guards a chance to spot even the sneakiest players. Of course, that would make them high priority targets for neutralisation.

The Combat Sense ability would need to be dialed back a lot for this to work well though.

Of course we need a stealth option in the game. At the very least it adds another option on how to proceed during a mission. Though as Sard mentioned, it needs to be done correctly, vision cones, etc. And don't forget there are various armour/clothing options in the sourcebooks like the IR Cloak to help with a stealth mission. We just need some thermoptic camouflage ala G.I.T.S (yeah, there's something similar ingame already, but this could be how it's portrayed ).

I love thermoptic camouflage. CDPR might avoid it though - for one thing, it will be immediately compared to Deus Ex Cloaking and for another, CP2020 stealth tech is a lot weaker than GITS Thermoptics.

On the other hand, there isn't any blasted timer countdown, either. So game-y, that.

Also, as much as I enjoy stealth in games, I'd really like to see more effort put into non violent speech-based or trickery-based solutions than sneaking again.

And why should crouching be quieter than sneaking around standing up? If anything, trying to move while in a crouch would make more noise.

Also, as much as I enjoy stealth in games, I'd really like to see more effort put into non violent speech-based or trickery-based solutions than sneaking again.

I agree. True ninja/super-spy stealth in a world like this would require some high end technology and training. It's possible for a solo, but not for many other roles. Some development effort should be put into things like social engineering and such. Hell, disguises might even be more practical than straight up sneaking.

Top Bottom