Stealth mode

+
So I'm near the end of my first playthrough and I love the game despite some bugs and flaws so far. I'm playing as a stealth hacker / melee combi, and I noticed something I haven't read about.

I feel like the stealth mode needs to be reworked. If you want to go 100% stealth you have to finish the mission without killing someone, because as soon as you kill someone, no matter if anyone has seen it, they start looking for you. Even if I hide the body and only killed the lone guard at the entrance for example.

I would love to have a stealth system like in Deus Ex. You can kill them, as long as no one sees it and you hide the bodies they are not suspicious. Maybe they start searching after too many people start disappearing. It just feels useless to go stealth if they start searching for you as soon as you take down the first guy.

Does anyone else feel like the stealth system needs some work done?

Don't put them in containers, they are bugged. Making a pile of humans behind a wall outside mission area worked for me. Guards can also spot bodies(you) from far away no matter your sneaking skill during the body pickup animation.

So I'm near the end of my first playthrough and I love the game despite some bugs and flaws so far. I'm playing as a stealth hacker / melee combi, and I noticed something I haven't read about.

I feel like the stealth mode needs to be reworked. If you want to go 100% stealth you have to finish the mission without killing someone, because as soon as you kill someone, no matter if anyone has seen it, they start looking for you. Even if I hide the body and only killed the lone guard at the entrance for example.

I would love to have a stealth system like in Deus Ex. You can kill them, as long as no one sees it and you hide the bodies they are not suspicious. Maybe they start searching after too many people start disappearing. It just feels useless to go stealth if they start searching for you as soon as you take down the first guy.

Uhm, that's strange, I'm also in my first playthrough and with my "one-shot" stealth build I don't have such problem: as long as I don't leave bodies in the open enemies don't get allerted.
The only thing is that you have to one-shot them (either by actually firing at them or attack from behind), otherwise they can allert the others.

Uhm, that's strange, I'm also in my first playthrough and with my "one-shot" stealth build I don't have such problem: as long as I don't leave bodies in the open enemies don't get allerted.
The only thing is that you have to one-shot them (either by actually firing at them or attack from behind), otherwise they can allert the others.

Really weird, it happens all the time for me when I take them down via quickhacking.
I always disable cameras that could spot them or me first.
Does that mean if it takes two quick hacks to take them down, they are able to alert others, even if I start both quick hacks at the same time?

I hate it when they are leaning against a wall or other object and you can't stealth behind them to knock them out!

Don't see a problem here.

You should distract them, you have netrunner skills for this:
-distract enemies
-whistle
-call for backup
etc.

Sometimes, if there are to many enemies then search other way around, not everytime you should simply kill everyone on your way.

Starting to really like Whistle to break up groups of guys. I found using it, waiting for the guy to almost get to my location, climb up onto a crate (or whatever), wait for them to stop then perform the hidden dragon take-down.

Really weird, it happens all the time for me when I take them down via quickhacking.
I always disable cameras that could spot them or me first.
Does that mean if it takes two quick hacks to take them down, they are able to alert others, even if I start both quick hacks at the same time?

Never tried using quick hacks in an offensive way for now (as I said my build rely only on stealth and high crit damage) but it could be that, even if they are activated at the same time, the game thinks of them as two separate attacks that don't kill the enemy immediately => everyone gets allerted.
If it is like so it's another design flaw sadly :(

the way I stealth is by killing everyone, there are many tools available to you to be either lethal or non-lethal, even if you got low Int you can use quick hacks to distract, blind, bring enemies to you, single out enemies, avoid getting spotted, etc. At one time during the Heist mission I had to purposely alert enemies a bit to get them to spawn, was so stealthy I didn't even trigger scripted events =)). Use all those tools and play with your food, gets fun if you do, but you gotta use attacks that will instantly kill or disable them, but if you're fighting higher lvl enemies than you that you can't 1shot or takedown you will alert em.

they dont search for you unless you "shoot" someone. if you snap their neck the other mobs remain ignorant. unlike other games, silencer in this game is not 100% silent. if other mobs are near the person you shot, they will still start searching for you. you can try this by shooting a camera when someone is standing just below it. they will hear the shot and be in an alerted state and start searching even tho you haven't killed anyone yet.

tho, i've yet to see a dont fear the reaper stealth run on youtube :D not sure how that would work.

Never tried using quick hacks in an offensive way for now (as I said my build rely only on stealth and high crit damage) but it could be that, even if they are activated at the same time, the game thinks of them as two separate attacks that don't kill the enemy immediately => everyone gets allerted.
If it is like so it's another design flaw sadly :(
It definitly works with quickhacks - I mainly use system reset and even short circuit, if the damage is high enough to incapacitate them instantly, works well. The dots (contagion and overheat) can work, if the first tick is enough to incapacitate them. Synapse burnout works in the rare version but epic and up doesn't (because of the panic effect).

If you stealth kill someone by choking the enemy out rather than chopping with a katana, chance of being spotted is lower. Could be due to noise rather than sight.

I hate it when they are leaning against a wall or other object and you can't stealth behind them to knock them out!
Sometimes Memory Wipe helps to get them off the wall.
Post automatically merged:

Can anyone explain to me how the other stealth takedowns are triggered? Sometimes my character knocks them out with a karate chop, other times with a punch to the jaw. I find it less time consuming. But I have no idea how to activate them, it happens quite randomly or I am just pressing buttons to activate it.

Thanks

With whistle, they need to add in the option AC has of pulling the guy around the corner and killing him from stealth. After using this mechanic since AC3 when it was added, then try it in CP, :( Rip, useless ability. You call them to the spot, then you have to relocate ><

Take people out via a camera, once they start searching, they run straight to your hiding spot. Unless you are well outside the mission area and just barely can see a camera with max zoom.

Spoting cone, only works with cameras, with NPCs however, forget the cone displayed on the minimap, they use a hemisphere for spotting.

Ping, a why bother ability. Take control of cameras, can spot targets via that and even inject quickhacks into them. Or use a techweapon, aim with it as a wall hack to spot targets.

Resetting optics, works to walk past them or snipe them. But go to grab them or a quest item...nope it's like you did not reset their optics and they have that icon over their head.

Oneshot stealth takedowns that will never get you spotted. Silenced revolvers. x3 headshot dmg, x2.5 base dmg, +25%-100% crit chance, +50%-200% crit dmg. (not even perking into them, just silencer and on weapon/clothes stats. Gets crazier when perked into it.) Later on, even boss mobs go pop in one.

So basically the quick knockout only seems to work when the enemy is on alert. I mean it makes sense and all. But I prefer if it was optional or another way to activate them because sometimes going too far to choke someone is annoying rather than hitting them on the neck or punching them in the face. Example

Well, guards could have a com channel open and if one is missing in the line, the other gets aware of something is not right. This is already in our present and even since the invention of walky talkies a possibilty with guards are told to report back on a regular base, if they dont, other guards are told to investigate. And in this game humen can have a cellphone in their head so..

With whistle, they need to add in the option AC has of pulling the guy around the corner and killing him from stealth. After using this mechanic since AC3 when it was added, then try it in CP, :( Rip, useless ability. You call them to the spot, then you have to relocate ><

Take people out via a camera, once they start searching, they run straight to your hiding spot. Unless you are well outside the mission area and just barely can see a camera with max zoom.

Spoting cone, only works with cameras, with NPCs however, forget the cone displayed on the minimap, they use a hemisphere for spotting.

Ping, a why bother ability. Take control of cameras, can spot targets via that and even inject quickhacks into them. Or use a techweapon, aim with it as a wall hack to spot targets.

Resetting optics, works to walk past them or snipe them. But go to grab them or a quest item...nope it's like you did not reset their optics and they have that icon over their head.

Oneshot stealth takedowns that will never get you spotted. Silenced revolvers. x3 headshot dmg, x2.5 base dmg, +25%-100% crit chance, +50%-200% crit dmg. (not even perking into them, just silencer and on weapon/clothes stats. Gets crazier when perked into it.) Later on, even boss mobs go pop in one.
Well, Ping does serve to detect nearby enemies. After upgrading to the epic, you can see the enemies detecting the cone for much longer. Also, the utility to find Terminals or Access Point is quite useful if you want to rush through the game or if you missed it.

Also in regards to the camera. I only tried to make sure the enemies are not in groups when I used the quickhack "shock". Since it does not spread and it will be obvious that someone is attacking. I also tend to overload or hack devices around the area to distract them or divide groups to keep my distance and prevent enemies from being alerted or rushing toward you.

Last edited:
The worst things about stealth in this game are 1: every enemy in the area suddenly knows you're there if you fight a solo enemy, and then kill that enemy before they can technically warn others. Case in point, just ran a mission where I had stealth hit an enemy because I missed their head, second shot killed them, but because they technically spotted me with the first shot, every enemy in the zone aggro'ed. Here's the issue: This is not a problem if there are other enemies in the immediate area, but she was the last enemy in the room, and no one could have possibly heard her scream from within the room we were in. Also, no cameras, and there was quite a distance from her to the rest of the enemies outside the room. In short, she barely saw me, I double tapped her from stealth, and somehow every enemy outside the closed space was in combat with me, and knew exactly where I was despite the lack of actual surveillance.

Second worst thing about stealth in the game is the rule on quick hacks from stealth. It's fine to one or even two shot someone from stealth using quick hacks -- especially by proxy using a camera; however, it's a golden rule we can't use environmental objects to kill our targets using the same method (i.e: using overload on an explosive to kill a group at once unless the object is a bunch of pipes tied to a lifter.) In this case, if you are in a room on the top floor of a building, using a breached camera to recon the facility, you can't use certain items to stealth kill, or else it's an instant discovery, whereas in most stealth games, you will just gain a suspicion level instead. Basically a lot of the stealth game should have strike rules instead of instantly giving up our location. The rules should also make sense, and currently they don't. Stealth playthroughs for me are fraught with constant save scumming because I just don't agree with the level of awareness enemies have. I also think that if you kill a person when they're attempting to locate you after the three strike rule on hacking, the meter should dead stop in its tracks if no one else is around to witness the kill.

Here's the issue: This is not a problem if there are other enemies in the immediate area, but she was the last enemy in the room, and no one could have possibly heard her scream from within the room we were in. Also, no cameras, and there was quite a distance from her to the rest of the enemies outside the room. In short, she barely saw me, I double tapped her from stealth, and somehow every enemy outside the closed space was in combat with me, and knew exactly where I was despite the lack of actual surveillance.
I suppose, if you are able to make a breach protocol, a ping or those kind of thing, it's because they have some sort of connexion (local network). So no really need to "hear", to "see" or whatever to be alerted :(
Honestly, I love stealth, but yeah, you have to "one shot" and don't use "offensive" QHs, otherwhise, enemies are aware of you :)

For me, stealth means finding out where the gangoons are and then doing a "bull in a china shop" run to take all of them out. For the record I, for some reason, have an extreme amount of difficulty with stealth in any game I always seem to get spotted no matter what I do.

Top Bottom