Steam is taking too long to sync a game session.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam is taking too long to sync a game session.

Me and some of my friends are having this issue. I've played several Steam games and this is the longest game to sync. It takes me 5-8 minutes just to finish synchronizing.

I have also noticed a significant slowdown of sync with Steam, though thankfully, mine doesn't take quite that long. Yesterday was the closest to that time of 5 minutes.

Some of my friends and I are having this issue. I've played several Steam games and this is the longest game to sync. It takes me 5-8 minutes just to finish synchronizing.

Do you by chance have a lot of save files for The Witcher 3? The previous games had humongous file sizes for each save file. I wonder if that's the issue.

Also, syncing just means your save files are being uploaded to the Steam Cloud. You could probably turn that off to keep the save files local. I don't have The Witcher 3 on Steam so I can't personally confirm this for you, but you should be able to disable the Steam Cloud by right clicking on The Witcher 3 in your library and clicking on Properties. Then, check the Updates tab. That's where it is found for other games that use this feature.

The saves get to be pretty large and if u have horrible upload speed or maybe steam does "background" uploading it'll take awhile. You can turn it off or just wait, if it ever says saves don't match and u cancel or close it while it's syncing just make sure to pick local saves.

Do you by chance have a lot of save files for The Witcher 3? The previous games had humongous file sizes for each save file. I wonder if that's the issue.

Also, syncing just means your save files are being uploaded to the Steam Cloud. You could probably turn that off to keep the save files local. I don't have The Witcher 3 on Steam so I can't personally confirm this for you, but you should be able to disable the Steam Cloud by right clicking on The Witcher 3 in your library and clicking on Properties. Then, check the Updates tab. That's where it is found for other games that use this feature.

I have around 12. Does the game updates all of them? I'm assuming only those newly created are being uploaded. I'm not comfortable disabling Steam sync. How likely am I to lose those local saves?

The new saves will get uploaded to the Steam Cloud, yes. Losing the local saves isn't very likely unless you manually delete them. They are saved in the Documents folder on Windows -- C:\Users\(YourUserNameHere)\Documents\The Witcher 3\gamesaves

EDIT: Sorry, my mind slipped. The save location for Steam should be X:\Steam\userdata\(YourSteamAccountNumberHere)
Then it's in one of the folders there but a Google search didn't find which one. :(

Try taking a look in your Documents folder anyway. Some people say it should be there for the Steam version too. Let me know!

Last edited:
Had the same problem, fix :
Either unable steamcloud on this game, or delete savegames frome inside the game menu, wich is the only way steam will sync correctly.
You can also try to manually delete savegames with the game started on the background.

The size of the save files around 300 MB. It is being uploaded every time you close the game. That's why it is taking too much time. My save file destination is here (for witcher 2): C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\SteamID(xxx)\20920\remote

1.png

You should close cloud sync to avoid the long sync session. You can create a copy of this folder if you don't want to lose your save files by any mistaken movement.

Necromancy alert!
After over three years of peace, this thread has risen from its perhaps not-so-comfy grave to haunt the forums.
Time to put it back where it belongs -- and this time close the door to the crypt with a sturdy padlock.

Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom