Steam launch low FPS problem

+
Hello! I am running the game on a ROG Strix G17 laptop with 32 gigs of RAM, R7 5800h and RTX 3070. Today, I've encountered a really strange bug regarding launching the game from Steam (tested with nvidia game ready 461.92 and 465.89 drivers) :
  • If I go to run the game from the /bin/x64 folder, everything runs great.
  • If I launch the game from Steam, my FPS will NEVER go above 20 and I will have low CPU, GPU, and RAM usage. No matter the settings, the game is literally unplayable. I first thought about the game running on the iGPU of the laptop. However, this is not the case, as I can use DLSS and Ray Tracing (at least in the settings).
As I said above, this happened with two different versions of the drivers and, on top of that, on two Windows installs. Although, one time the game ran just fine from Steam.
I have also added the launcher and the executable of the game in the Graphics Settings of Windows to run on the RTX gpu. Done the same in Nvidia Control Panel.

Is there anyone else with this problem?

Its usuraly that if it runs fine by running the exe. hmmm have you used compability mode run as admin on the cyberpunk 2077 exe? Also sure you dont have any Fps limiter or somthing? should not be the case since it runs fine on the exe but..

I didn't use compatibility mode. There is no fps limitation either. I think the problem happens beacuse of steam starts the game with the launcher. I did skip the launcher with starting commands but it is just a fast way.

hmm weird. I know that the game dont like overlays, i allways disable GOGs overly totaly (in settings not on just this game) i think its because the overlay hooks into the game since ive hade problems with other overlays too. Other then that im kinda out of solutions.

So for test (not find a solution already).
Run the game from the .exe > CPU Usage % ? Cyberpunk CPU Usage % ?
Run the game from steam > CPU Usage % ? Cyberpunk CPU Usage % ?
If there is a difference, (like 90%/85% and 90%/50%), you possibly find where the missing 35% are used).

A little bit like that (it's an example)
[Solved] Low FPS Only on Steam games
i see this post is a bit old but i might have found why my games where acting like this, i opened task manager and saw i had a MSI aplication using around 90% of my CPU after i ended the task it all worked fine.
hoped this helped
Edit : It's only Cyberpunk or all games are affected ?

So for test (not find a solution already).
Run the game from the .exe > CPU Usage % ? Cyberpunk CPU Usage % ?
Run the game from steam > CPU Usage % ? Cyberpunk CPU Usage % ?
If there is a difference, (like 90%/85% and 90%/50%), you possibly find where the missing 35% are used).

A little bit like that (it's an example)
[Solved] Low FPS Only on Steam games

Edit : It's only Cyberpunk or all games are affected ?
Only Cyberpunk. I'm using msi gaming laptop. There is dragon center and msi afterburner but they are working fine.

Edit: The difference in CPU usage is due to GPU being activated. These ss are from main menu.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Only Cyberpunk. I'm using msi gaming laptop. There is dragon center and msi afterburner but they are working fine.

Edit: The difference in CPU usage is due to GPU being activated. These ss are from main menu.
Wep, it's remain "normal". There something who limit your GPU/CPU usage (related with steam) 200+ to 19 fps, that's a serious drop.
Honestly, I don't know what it could be (it's out of my skills) :(

Try closing those two programs. and test start the game. You should be able to see the flow of the game to see if it makes any differance. Afterburner overlay gave me some problems (crashes) too. I now play with afterburner off. Also i hade crashes because i use CTR, its a cpu optemiser that on the fly clocks cpu im not sure if dragoncenter does something similar but just test it unless it can harm your pc.

Try closing those two programs. and test start the game. You should be able to see the flow of the game to see if it makes any differance. Afterburner overlay gave me some problems (crashes) too. I now play with afterburner off. Also i hade crashes because i use CTR, its a cpu optemiser that on the fly clocks cpu im not sure if dragoncenter does something similar but just test it unless it can harm your pc.
I tried that too but nothing changed.

Thats very weird. it must have something too do with the way steam interacts with the game. Since it works when you dont do that. Have you done a support ticket with CDPR?

Yep, i am waiting for a reply now.

Top Bottom