Steam & Linux

+
Steam & Linux

Valve is raising the stakes for linux as environment (their new console will own a Linux kernel). How you see the portability to this system? Especially after knowing the indie bumble stadistics about this is the system that most considers the payment to developers? :p

I am pretty convinced that CDPR will concentrate on making PC version first and then ports for new consoles. Perhaps then they will look at creating something for MAC and Linux.

You never know..

Aver

Forum veteran
I am pretty convinced that CDPR will concentrate on making PC version first and then ports for new consoles. Perhaps then they will look at creating something for MAC and Linux.

You never know..

They said that all their future games will be released on at least two major platforms simultaneously. So it will be at least PC + one console.

Depends on how important Linux for gaming will become in the coming years. If a good chunk of PC gaming will split between Windows and Linux then there is a good chance. For now though no way, I hope Valve will take the proper steps to make it a popular platform.

Valve is raising the stakes for linux as environment (their new console will own a Linux kernel). How you see the portability to this system? Especially after knowing the indie bumble stadistics about this is the system that most considers the payment to developers? :p

I 100% support it! ;) I use both Ubuntu and Windows at home and would just love it.

Aver

Forum veteran
Depends on how important Linux for gaming will become in the coming years. If a good chunk of PC gaming will split between Windows and Linux then there is a good chance. For now though no way, I hope Valve will take the proper steps to make it a popular platform.

I doubt that it will become popular (at least so quickly). After all switching to the Linux you lose ability to play 99% of games that were already released.

I doubt that it will become popular (at least so quickly). After all switching to the Linux you lose ability to play 99% of games that were already released.

I started with linux just recently being huge sceptic but I quickly started to love it. Yes, I keep windows on my PC just for games but for anything else I'm sitting on my Ubuntu laptop. Windows is just heading in a really bad direction. If somebody lets me play on linux, I'll choose it.

Given that Witcher 2 is on Mac OSX then I don't see a major issue (at a high level) with Linux other than being just another port, but it depends on The inroads that Steam makes to Linux and who follows suit. Although the minimum memory req of Witcher 2 being 4Gb and recommended being 8Gb for OSX, over 2gb min and 4Gb rec for Windows, makes me a little concerned, but given a way off release window possibly of 2015 then I don't see it being an issue by then.

But as an aside to do with Steam, REDkit and Steam Workshop support day 1 please

Steam + Steamworks for modding would be awesome. Opens up the potential of making it cross-platform, and if there is multiplayer allowing cross-platform multiplay between Linux/Mac/Windows users.

Hopefully they can try to cross platform it and single shard it so all players are contributing to the sandbox no matter the platform.

When you see the becoming of Windows with Windows 8, you can clearly see that Linux will be the future main OS. Personnally, I rejected all my games in order to be on Linux, and it would be great to see CDPROJEKT adapting their games on Linux, because there are many players on Linux who are very restricted, so if Cyberpunk 2077 will be released, it will be a big revolution i guess, and it will show the example to other developers.

(sorry for my bad english).

I'd love it if Linux gained traction in the market and becomes what it has the potential to be, and would be thrilled if Cyberpunk 2077 supported the O/S.

The fact that Microsoft went the way of a tablet OS with Windows 8, and sort of screwed the pooch as far as gaming goes, to the extent of angering a few of the bigger gaming houses, and the fact that the early chatter about Windows 8 is that it's complete suckage as a gaming platform (and doesn't seem to be too great as a desktop OS either), and assuming the next Windows will just make things even worse, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the PC gaming platform of the near future wasn't Windows at all, but some *nix.

I used Ubuntu occasionally before for work otherwise not much. If Linux becomes popular in gaming because of Valve, well that would be interesting

I used Ubuntu occasionally before for work otherwise not much. If Linux becomes popular in gaming because of Valve, well that would be interesting

Same. I used to use it back when I was in college, and one thing that always drove me mad was the potential I saw in it and how the people at the reigns were steering it. The UIs that came out from version to version became less and less intuitive for me, and eventually I just gave up on using it because it was more practical to stick with Windows, since I make heavy use of things like Steam. But if Valve can really put some muscle behind it and get the ball rolling, I'm all for it.

It's still like a new born baby in the world of gaming. Give it some time to evolve. Right now, I don't think CDPR will be even giving a thought for Linux version.

I use Lubuntu (Ubuntu with LXDE instead of that abortion Unity) extensively for work, and if it would run more games easily, I'd use it exclusively.

The only good thing I have to say about Windows 8 is that Unity makes even Windows 8 look good.

I support Linux port! There are interesting movements in the market related to Linux:
- Steam Linux
- Humble Indie Bundle
- CryEngine rumored to support Linux
- Blizzard will likely show WoW client soon
- Unity 4 will support Linux (and with that maybe some games I am looking forward to: Project Eternity, Pathfinder Online etc)

I've been a GNU/Linux user for about 15 years now. CDPR ! give some love to Linux!

Top Bottom