Steam (maybe) going to support Linux soon.

+
Steam (maybe) going to support Linux soon.

If you haven't heard then basically read the title again. Also here's a couple of links.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_linux_dampfnudeln&num=1
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116943-Steam-Coming-to-Linux-Soon
So what are your thoughts on this? Do you use linux or are you thinking of getting linux? Personally I never got linux since I know absolutely nothing about it but I was thinking about it for a bit. Though the only reason I still use Windows 7 is games.
EDIT: I just read in the comments on the escapist that apparently phoronix said this before and Valve denied it then so it seems like the best course of action is to just take this as a rumor.

Guest 2091327

Steam can burn in hell. Never buying a game of those loons. I'd rather play Yatzi by myself.

You've been able to run Steam using WINE(WINE Is Not An Emulator) in Linux for a long time and quite a few Valve games work fine.

WINE is basically the DirectX stack with some needed Windows bits, it doesn't use dll's but can use native dll's.

I've been a Linux user for over 10 years.

Pangaea said:
Steam can burn in hell. Never buying a game of those loons. I'd rather play Yatzi by myself.

at least they're better than origin. ive never had any issues with steam before though (over 100 games on my account) to be fair though i buy all my games when they do those massive sales for spring, summer and winter when theyre super cheap

Guest 2091327

That's like saying being shot in the balls is better than being shot in the head, though.

True, but it doesn't mean the former is a nice experience.

The way things are going with the gaming industry I'll never buy a new game again. But that's fine, I have plenty of old games to play through.

I simply hope this means GNU/Linux will get the acknowledgement it deserves among the PC gaming community, and perhaps with Windows getting more unbearable each generation, we might have some kind of Gaming Linux in the future.

I use Windows pretty much for games only, and have been a GNU/Linux and FreeBSD user for years. If hardware companies and game developers/publishers provided better support we could have an ideal gaming platform, as customizable as it gets.

Top Bottom