Steam updates are 9gb in size!

+
Steam updates are 9gb in size!

Can ANYONE from CDPR please do ANYTHING to stop loyal customers from having to download 9GBs every time a patch comes out??? I cannot tell you how much this SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't give your usual "registry" garbage, that doesn't work. Neither does verifying game cache. Neither does re-installing Steam or the game from a backup.

Nobody answers to my email at "support". You leave your customers with problems with NO response?? People cannot play this game because they cannot install 9GB every time they turn on Steam. FIX IIIIIIIIITTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought Steam was going to fix this in their last patch or two.
Anyway , go give Steam grief, it's their fault not CDPs.

Just like when you buy a disc from a retailer (Gamestop, etc) and it is scratched and unreadable, the problem lays with the distributor. In the case of digital downloads that still applies. Steam/Valve is the distributor. As you have bought the game through them and are using their platform to download the game, please contact them.

Yeah, that's just how Steam works. Steam downloads all files completely, that have changed through a patch. Sadly the Witcher has 1 file that's 9 GB... If all game companies made their games like that, Valve might have solved this by now - because Steam would kill itself with all this unnecessary traffic. But what do you expect, Steam is only around since 2003 and downloading is the sole distribution path for their sold games. :D Quite pathetic to have such an imperfect downloader under these conditions.
I'm glad I bought retail, so I didn't have to download the game once.

tl;dr: You really need to address your complaints towards Valve. Naturally CDP can't tell them how to run their platform.

From comments I read on the Steam forums, it sounds like verifying the game cache caused the 9 GB update. I think the Steam version is supposed to download and run the regular patch but for some reason when you verify the game cache it compares your patched game against the unpatched version, then makes you download the old version and patch it again.

My suggestion is to play in offline mode if your game is currently playable with whatever version it's at right now. Steam finally implemented a new patching method and I guess Witcher 2 was the test case to see how it would work and there are still bugs to sort out.

TheSilver said:
Just like when you buy a disc from a retailer (Gamestop, etc) and it is scratched and unreadable, the problem lays with the distributor. In the case of digital downloads that still applies. Steam/Valve is the distributor. As you have bought the game through them and are using their platform to download the game, please contact them.

This is absolute nonsense. Steam are provided with the files from CDPR, and CDPR are the ones responsible for "support" for this game. That would have been part contractual details worked out between Steam and CDPR. Lots of people are having this issue with this game, and this game ONLY.

CDPR still have not given Steam a full up to date version of ALL the game files meaning that if you verify your cache you will get the 1.2 version of the game. AND YET, CPDR are still telling people to verify cache as a way to fix the issue that THEY KNOW ABOUT. This is utterly pathetic.

WardDragon said:
From comments I read on the Steam forums, it sounds like verifying the game cache caused the 9 GB update. I think the Steam version is supposed to download and run the regular patch but for some reason when you verify the game cache it compares your patched game against the unpatched version, then makes you download the old version and patch it again.

My suggestion is to play in offline mode if your game is currently playable with whatever version it's at right now. Steam finally implemented a new patching method and I guess Witcher 2 was the test case to see how it would work and there are still bugs to sort out.

You cannot install in Offline mode, so as soon as the game tries to update to 9GB your screwed. The only way to stop that is to install the full game then immediately go into offline mode forever, which then limits all online gaming.

Let me REPEAT....> CDPR know about this issue and have "tried" and failed to fix it. They KNOW it's a problem somewhere in THEIR files and cannot fix it yet. You think Steam wants 9GB downloads from all the owners of this game when a 70-80mb file is all that's needed??

mischievousape said:
This is absolute nonsense. Steam are provided with the files from CDPR, and CDPR are the ones responsible for "support" for this game. That would have been part contractual details worked out between Steam and CDPR. Lots of people are having this issue with this game, and this game ONLY.

CDPR still have not given Steam a full up to date version of ALL the game files meaning that if you verify your cache you will get the 1.2 version of the game. AND YET, CPDR are still telling people to verify cache as a way to fix the issue that THEY KNOW ABOUT. This is utterly pathetic.

It is Valve and Steam who continuously refuse to let games hosted by them patch like it should be: Open the archive, just update the relevant files, repack the archive, finished.

Instead they use a method where the whole file has to be updated. And since it is very unrealistic to demand that games should come fully unpacked (meaning no archives, everything uncompressed and thus much much much bigger) it is Valve and only Valve who is doing the wrong thing.

The only thing CDP could've done was not to allow Valve to publish their game via Steam...but everything else is not their fault.

mischievousape said:
You cannot install in Offline mode, so as soon as the game tries to update to 9GB your screwed. The only way to stop that is to install the full game then immediately go into offline mode forever, which then limits all online gaming.

What you describe there are general Steam problems with ALL games, despite how big their patches are. Those problems happened before, those problems are documented in countless topics and websites all over the internet. You're using Steam, you bought The Witcher 2 on Steam, so it was your decision.

mischievousape said:
Let me REPEAT....> CDPR know about this issue and have "tried" and failed to fix it. They KNOW it's a problem somewhere in THEIR files and cannot fix it yet. You think Steam wants 9GB downloads from all the owners of this game when a 70-80mb file is all that's needed??

The only way to "fix" this is, as I said, to unpack their game. It will become considerably larger and files who are not meant to be easily accessable become exactly that...easily accessable.

In case you didn't notice, but when you buy a game you do not own the content, the code, the files. You own a licence that allows you to play the game. But the developer still has the right to use whatever file format they think is best. Best for them, but also for the players. The game could easily triple in size when being completely unpacked. I don't know about you but imho 16gb is big enough.

There is no other way to "fix" this. Oh wait, they could hack the Steam server, or buy Valve and Steam...piece of cake.

mischievousape said:

Wrong, it is a Steam problem and they are the one to talk to like every reply has told you.

AnarkiHunter said:
Not being offensive here, can we know your Steam ID mischievousape.

I just want to be sure that, we aren't wasting time on someone who is reporting steam issues without actually having the game brought on Steam.

Many Thanks.

There is obviously NO POINT in me proving anything since you people think that there is no problem to fix.

I really am NOT interested in listening to anything other than something official.

GODzilla said:
It is Valve and Steam who continuously refuse to let games hosted by them patch like it should be: Open the archive, just update the relevant files, repack the archive, finished.

Instead they use a method where the whole file has to be updated. And since it is very unrealistic to demand that games should come fully unpacked (meaning no archives, everything uncompressed and thus much much much bigger) it is Valve and only Valve who is doing the wrong thing.

The only thing CDP could've done was not to allow Valve to publish their game via Steam...but everything else is not their fault.

What you describe there are general Steam problems with ALL games, despite how big their patches are. Those problems happened before, those problems are documented in countless topics and websites all over the internet. You're using Steam, you bought The Witcher 2 on Steam, so it was your decision.

The only way to "fix" this is, as I said, to unpack their game. It will become considerably larger and files who are not meant to be easily accessable become exactly that...easily accessable.

In case you didn't notice, but when you buy a game you do not own the content, the code, the files. You own a licence that allows you to play the game. But the developer still has the right to use whatever file format they think is best. Best for them, but also for the players. The game could easily triple in size when being completely unpacked. I don't know about you but imho 16gb is big enough.

There is no other way to "fix" this. Oh wait, they could hack the Steam server, or buy Valve and Steam...piece of cake.

Sorry, but wtf are u talking about? I get no 9gb updates or anything like that from any other game. Period. So the problem is obviously Steam...uh huh...

So, how come everyone doesn't have the same issue? You're incorrect.

mischievousape said:
Sorry, but wtf are u talking about? I get no 9gb updates or anything like that from any other game. Period. So the problem is obviously Steam...uh huh...

So, how come everyone doesn't have the same issue? You're incorrect.

Games are different. Different in file structure, different in archive format. Plus it still works the same for most of the "other games", but many of them don't use one big main archive like The Witcher 2 does.

Again: It was Valves decision not giving Steam the ability to execute a patcher like any normal patch does. A normal patch open the archive ("pack0.dzip"), erases the outdated files, adds the updated ones and then closes (or repacks) the archive. It's a matter of seconds.

Since you seem to know everything better, let me ask you a question:

The Steam version probably uses the same files as any other version of the game, I think we can agree in this point. The main exe file may be different (due to implented Steam DRM), but the game files - those that get updated - are in the already mentioned "pack0.dzip". This pack is the same for everyone.

Why can the patch of the normal version simply update the files in the archive, while Steam cannot? Is it CD Projects fault that Steam cannot do that?

WardDragon said:

I got a 9gb patch without verifying

AnarkiHunter said:
You know, there are about..lets say...number of same threads equal to the 2 times the number of days since Patch 1.2 was released.

So citing that..I will assume you are a SPAMMER

Because you are too lame...incomprehensible to grasp the understanding point to deduce the point of absolute conceivable factor that the problem lies inherently within the confines of limited devolved addresser of the query, You are but a blind uneducated mass of flesh which only churns the bark of a rabid being.

-Edited thrice, removed the word "FUCK YOU"-

I will assume you are just a Fan Boy with a really small penis :D Enjoy your hate.

GODzilla said:
Games are different. Different in file structure, different in archive format. Plus it still works the same for most of the "other games", but many of them don't use one big main archive like The Witcher 2 does.

Again: It was Valves decision not giving Steam the ability to execute a patcher like any normal patch does. A normal patch open the archive ("pack0.dzip"), erases the outdated files, adds the updated ones and then closes (or repacks) the archive. It's a matter of seconds.

Since you seem to know everything better, let me ask you a question:

The Steam version probably uses the same files as any other version of the game, I think we can agree in this point. The main exe file may be different (due to implented Steam DRM), but the game files - those that get updated - are in the already mentioned "pack0.dzip". This pack is the same for everyone.

Why can the patch of the normal version simply update the files in the archive, while Steam cannot? Is it CD Projects fault that Steam cannot do that?

Look, I really appreciate you putting you thoughts and time into this. But, the fact is, you don't have any proof that it is either Steam or CDPR that need to do something. Do you? If you do, show me because that is really all I will need to stop looking at CDPR for help.

Dirt 2 uses a different update system than the Steam updater. So does Bioshock 2. So do many other games have non-Steam updaters that work fine.

Bottom line, unless someone from either company tell me that they are not responsible, who am I supposed to believe, and why should lots of people have to suffer because 2 successful companies won't help?

All I get from this forum is people saying it's not CDPR's problem. All I get from Steam forums is people saying it's not Steam's problem. Fan Boys rage at me saying the same garbage on both forums. I really don't care for anything apart from something official.

Top Bottom