Still getting crashes

+
Still getting crashes

System:AMD opteron clocked 2.8GHz (stable at 8hrs prime 95, and 32M on Super PI, temperatures do not exceed 37C at full load)2GB GSKILL memory DDR 400, Non-ECC unbuffered(memory timings are as out of the box and not clocked, stable on windows Prime and superPI and 5 repeat memtests)DFI nF4 SLI-D motherboardGeforce 7800 GTX Graphics CardWestern Digital Raptor 10,000 rpm Raid 0 configuration (2x36GB) HarddriveCreative Labs Audidy 7.1 sound card.Windows XP SP2,up to date on critical upgradesNvidia driver 169.21Wicther Patch 1.2system maintaince up to date (performed by Tuneup2006)Problem: Witcher crashes my entire system (game freezes, keyboard won't repsond and I have to reset) after anywhere betweeb 5-30mins of play. Game intro sequence experiences low refresh rates. All other aspects of the game work.Things I have tried;Drivers 93.71, 169.21, 169.71 get crashes on all versionsWitcher, out the box patch 1.1, 1.1a and 1.2 get crashes on all versionsTurn graphical settings to there lowest and still get crashesQ

An Opteron what exactly?Reduce your cpu overclock to default and try again. And what is that Tuneup program actually doing? Have you tried unistalling it and setting everything back to defualt?

The Opteron is a 146. It is not the processor instabilty that is casuing crashes. This has been heavily tested on setup and test routinely since. The system can run Prime 95 for 8 hours without an error, this programe generates massive prime numbers to tests any CPU and memory way beyond the loads experienced by games. Similary the system completes super PI to 32 million places without error, and completes 3D behcnmark 05, and 06 with out crashes. In addtion the system can run Quake 4, Prey and Fear crash free for at least 4 hours straight ( just havn't played for longer than 4 hours in succession to find out, but based on the Prime result i doubt this would be an issue).The overclocking of my CPU has nothing to do with this crahsing issue, and in fact out side the crashes with witcher and can count one hand the times the system has crashed this year.Tuneup is a regristry cleaner and system maintiance programe, it does not run in the background only when requested. It removes tempory internet files, redundant DLL, missing regristy links ect.The OS install is about a year old, so is comming around for a fresh install but the system is well maintianed.I use AVG free antivirus, Spybot, adware free and Windows firewall.

Being Prime stable isn't the be all and end all. Have you tried stress testing with Orthos? Or better yet have you tried the game with you cpu @ stock? Oh, i see you've not, and i find it odd that you're unwilling to do something so simple but you happy to spend all that time trying a handful of different video card drivers etc.

Its not the CPU mate, I know this from 2 years of gaming on it, the platform is rock. But knowing this won't satisfy you I tired as you suggested. I have now run witcher with my CPU at the manufacturers clock speed, switched off my AVG antivirus, checked that EUX was off which it was and run the game with DOF off and all the video settings on the lowest settings.My virtual memory is set to 2-4G and as I said I have 2GB of memtested ramThe game crashed within 5 mins, this time on a loading screen.

Queequeg said:
Its not the CPU mate, I know this from 2 years of gaming on it, the platform is rock. But knowing this won't satisfy you I tired as you suggested. I have now run witcher with my CPU at the manufacturers clock speed, switched off my AVG antivirus, checked that EUX was off which it was and run the game with DOF off and all the video settings on the lowest settings.My virtual memory is set to 2-4G and as I said I have 2GB of memtested ramThe game crashed within 5 mins, this time on a loading screen.
Create a Dxdiag log and a report save as HTML using this tool System Information for WindowsExplain your problem and put your nickPut all that in an email and send it to the adress in my signature !

Queequeg said:
Fair enough. I can't think of anything else you've not already tried. Hope you get it fixed asap! Good Luck!

Top Bottom