STLM 2+Blood and Wine

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
STLM 2+Blood and Wine

No debate on Essenthy's departure here! It's not the subject.

So as many Essenthy left. He said on nexus that he won't be releasing anything anymore. But I really enjoy playing with STLM. So considering that I will not be able to stay on 1.11 forever with Blood And Wine and that Blood and Wine will most likely break all mods again will it be possible to have someone else update the mod for future patch without altering it? Like so many modders did for 1.12. i noticed lots of mods update by others. Thanks to them by the way.

For me and other players who don't want to get rid of STLM the idea could be to have STLM for all the game and Hearts of Stone. And Vanilla Lighting or KNG Cutscene lighting mod for Blood and Wine. Would it be somehow possible to make things work that way? Because Toussaint will be an entire new area.

Thanks in advance.

Would it be possible guys to make ULM work only in Blood and Wine? I love the cutscene lighting mod^^ If not I guess I could just go through nexus mod manager and disable STLM for Blood and Wine playthrough only.

Last edited:
Would it possible guys to make ULM work only in Blood and Wine? I love the cutscene lighting mod^^ If not I guess I could just go through nexus mod manager and disable STLM for Blood and Wine playthrough only.

STLM should work fine with B&W, it just modifies .env (and .csv) files, so you'll have vanilla lighting in B&W new regions and stlm lighting in main/HoS regions.
ULM will probably need an update for B&W, like every other mod using scipts.

Anyway, I don't think anyone can now for sure until it comes out

Thank you for you answer. But I think I have trouble to say clearly What I mean. It's okay I ll see when it comes out like everybody else.

As others have said STLM isn't using scripts so it should work with BaW.

While playing BaW if there are new env and csv's you will experience them as developed by the devs ie. Vanilla lighting. If Toussaint reuses any env or csv's that are in STLM they will be altered.

ULM has sliders in the menu. With these you can adjust priority over the current lighting, and the level of blending with the current lighting all in game.

So to answer you, yes and no. You can have ULM (which has cutscene lighting) in only Toussaint, but you'll need to turn it on in the in game options, you will probably also need to wait for a BaW ULM update.

What is this Blood and Wine y'all talking about? Did I miss a DLC release?

Anyway, ULM just allows you to select all available .env's in the game and gives you some customization options to change your current .env to one you select. You all know how it works. Hearts of Stone added somewhat about 50+ ? new .envs that were added to ULM I think with 1.10.

Imagine Blood and Wine which is supposed to have a completely new zone added to the game? Will probably add as much, if not more .env's to the game.

STLM basically modifies all the game's .env (at least some of them) basically.

So if Blood and Wine adds new .envs for it's zones / areas / interiors / caves, cutscenes, and whatever then all of these .env's need to be adjusted and changed accordingly to fit STLM "style". So it will not work in parts of Blood and Wine that use new .env's that came with the DLC.

With ULM we will just add all the new .env's that are added by the DLC to the selection slider and you choose what you want to load. Pretty easy.

Also just a reminder since STLM just edits existing .envs with updated / changes values you pretty much can still use ULM and change the .env used on the fly, adjust fog density, envBlend, etc. but it would load the STLM .env, not the vanilla .env.

Blood and Wine is the second expansion that will take place in Toussaint. A place that I am sure all Book reader are craving to see :) Thanks for your answer !

Blood and Wine is the second expansion that will take place in Toussaint. A place that I am sure all Book reader are craving to see :) Thanks for your answer !

Well, that being said, I wonder. As the goal of STLM is to bring back the E3 2014 "atmosphere", and this zone was not demoed during the E3, what would STLM do with it ? ;)

Nothing at the begenning. I ll do my first playthrough on it Vanilla style as always^^ Vanilla always comes first cause I want to experience the game as dev wanted us to play it. And then Cutscene lightning will do just fine :)

This thread was not really about playing Blood and Wine with STLM but to know if I could play with STLM and have BW installed without problem if Essenthy stop updating it^^.

Last edited:
On his mod page Essenthy has said he might go over his mod again after B&W. Let's just wait and see, plus maybe the lighting in the expansion will be really spectacular so there won't really be that big of a need to enhance it. Because HoS did end up looking better (for me at least) than the main game, but it took place on the already existing map so applying the STLM lighting changes to these new areas made sense.

Not sure why it's contradictory. You may want to explain.

Originally Posted by Nolenthar
Well, that being said, I wonder. As the goal of STLM is to bring back the E3 2014 "atmosphere", and this zone was not demoed during the E3, what would STLM do with it ?

Skellige was not demoed as much as novigrad and velen, neither was HoS expansion.. and guess what, STLM fits in almost perfectly with every zone.

Skellige was not demoed as much as novigrad and velen, neither was HoS expansion.. and guess what, STLM fits in almost perfectly with every zone.

As is any lighting "fits". As it's a matter of preference, even a fully purple lighting will "fit" perfectly in every zone for a given amount of people.

My point is more than there is no point "bringing" back E3 2014 (or any trailer) in a zone that was not trailered. It's an easy thing to explain and has to go with how human brain works.

You are very fan of something, the first time you witness this, it leaves an unforgivable print in your mind. Any second time you witness the same thing, slightly altered, it loses its appeal. A given set of sense (smell/sound) have the power to bring back feeling of this first time, and give you the feeling "it was better". The same thing govern your grand pa telling you the world was better before, melancoly, and else.

I never followed the trailers, not because I'm not a great fan of TW3 (as I was probably among the first 1000 people to preorder it, and a fan of the witcher since it was released), but as not to spoil my experience. As a consequence, I see nothing better in E3 2014, as compared to vanilla. I see two different products. Vanilla being more polished, and my vanilla experience cannot be compared to a 30 minutes trailer, which only shows me what they want to show me. Perfect condition, perfect view, etc. I'll do the same when I do screenshots for any mod, I'll simply wait for the best view and take a screenshot, good luck reproducing this in game.

In absence of any trailer or walkthrough, Toussaint have stayed unspoiled for any of us. Thus, when it will be released, it's very unlikely a great number of people will call for "STLM to save the day". Unless they like their night brighter, their moon as bright as the sun, or any <insert your colour> tint, STLM will be like "any" other lighting mod.

I'd bet 99% of people playing with STLM has never experienced any other lighting mod, be it Asmodean's one, or a combination of ULM and world env (like demonstrated in another thread)

Last edited:
I'd bet 99% of people playing with STLM has never experienced any other lighting mod, be it Asmodean's one, or a combination of ULM and world env (like demonstrated in another thread)

Yes, these two in combination make the world look gorgeous. The thing with Asmo's mod is that it's a straight up improvement that corrects awkward shadowing in many parts of the game. Preset #3 in ULM retains the game's vanilla look but makes some subtle improvements while furthering making shadows stand out more. Then you have the slider to reduce the fog which looks great toned down, but not completely removed because distance objects look terrible. I think this is why Essenthy added heavy DoF to STLM.

STLM is definitely much more used because it's incredibly popular, and a simple drag'n'drop while ULM requires a little more tinkering. And of course, loosely based off the E3 lighting. Personally, I think TW3 community's undying obsession with everything E3 is incredibly excessive and silly (feels like every other mod on the Nexus has E3 in the title). Yes the game did look better, but not just because of the lighting. EVERYTHING was downgraded. Tons of details were removed. Towns are no longer crowded, vegetation and many other things don't look as good, etc. STLM definitely does look amazing at times, but falls short in some areas/times of the day. Don't get me wrong, it's a great mod, but It doesn't always feel like an upgrade which is fine because color changes are subjective. The people on Reddit in particular don't seem very fond of it whenever screenshots are posted.

People need to explore their options. Download ULM, mess around with it. If you like vanilla lighting, that's cool. It really doesn't look that bad. Get Asmo's mod, now it looks even better. If you like STLM, that's cool too. Skellige especially looks great with it. But for the love of god, stop butchering everything with Reshade, or at least download reasonable presets. Practically everyday on Reddit: "THIS GAME LOOKS SO GOOD MODDED". Followed by a screenshot with some disgusting Reshade preset that crushes blacks and makes Geralt look like he needs glasses. TW3's community has serious Skyrim-modding syndrome.

As is any lighting "fits". As it's a matter of preference, even a fully purple lighting will "fit" perfectly in every zone for a given amount of people.

My point is more than there is no point "bringing" back E3 2014 (or any trailer) in a zone that was not trailered. It's an easy thing to explain and has to go with how human brain works.

You are very fan of something, the first time you witness this, it leaves an unforgivable print in your mind. Any second time you witness the same thing, slightly altered, it loses its appeal. A given set of sense (smell/sound) have the power to bring back feeling of this first time, and give you the feeling "it was better". The same thing govern your grand pa telling you the world was better before, melancoly, and else.

I never followed the trailers, not because I'm not a great fan of TW3 (as I was probably among the first 1000 people to preorder it, and a fan of the witcher since it was released), but as not to spoil my experience. As a consequence, I see nothing better in E3 2014, as compared to vanilla. I see two different products. Vanilla being more polished, and my vanilla experience cannot be compared to a 30 minutes trailer, which only shows me what they want to show me. Perfect condition, perfect view, etc. I'll do the same when I do screenshots for any mod, I'll simply wait for the best view and take a screenshot, good luck reproducing this in game.

In absence of any trailer or walkthrough, Toussaint have stayed unspoiled for any of us. Thus, when it will be released, it's very unlikely a great number of people will call for "STLM to save the day". Unless they like their night brighter, their moon as bright as the sun, or any <insert your colour> tint, STLM will be like "any" other lighting mod.

I've used ULM and a combination of 118, Vikarts lighjtning and others. I personally prefer STLM 2.1

People need to explore their options. Download ULM, mess around with it. If you like vanilla lighting, that's cool. It really doesn't look that bad. Get Asmo's mod, now it looks even better. If you like STLM, that's cool too. Skellige especially looks great with it. But for the love of god, stop butchering everything with Reshade, or at least download reasonable presets. Practically everyday on Reddit: "THIS GAME LOOKS SO GOOD MODDED". Followed by a screenshot with some disgusting Reshade preset that crushes blacks and makes Geralt look like he needs glasses. TW3's community has serious Skyrim-modding syndrome.

Reshade makes modding ... so much not about modding ;)

---------- Updated at 09:56 PM ----------

I've used ULM and a combination of 118, Vikarts lighjtning and others. I personally prefer STLM 2.1

And it's perfectly fine. STLM is excellent job, we just need people to go and try other mods, give Essenthy some rest so he can continue working in peace. Hammering every day with a new STLM thread is well ... getting old fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom