Stop abusing Nilfgaard till further nerfs.

+
Nilfgaard is the Monsters of open beta. They're the easiest and most accessible deck for beginners, offering great card value with their basic cards. Affecting the enemy graveyard, disrupting their plays with tossers and locking units is quite some value right out of the box.

I've been wanting to play NG for months but never got enough decent cards to pull it off. Decided to give it a try now and I have to agree with some people here. It's quite good.

You can bounce rot tossers, medics and even a silver card that resets a unit. Dealing with rot tossers isn't a big deal. The issue is that you have to drop everything else to deal with them, only to have one or two back on your side of the board again. Add a few more, cheap, cards and you're golden.

So it might be a bit unbalanced compared to other started decks. I think that's why people are upset. Once decks start growing, it won't be that noticeable.

Last edited:
NG its definitely one of the strongest factions right now, probably THE strongest. I think that's few room to deny that.

That being said, this only happened because all the other factions got nerfhammered, NG was hands down the worst faction last patch.

So, whats now? Lets nerf NG and than what? Nerf the other next best thing? That sense of balancing that bothers me.

Just remove the stupid nerf on behemoths hurting themselves for their effect and you probably will see monster consume being competitive again. Give back some more of the utility ST lost and you will see ST being competitive again, etc. imo thats the best way to balance things and not just the "if it moves, nerf it!" approach that its being on conduct since the first weeks of closed beta.

NG are one of the easier factions to play in the open beta which would mean more people will play but from my experience they are far from OP. I play SK discard deck currently and I am usually able to keep those cow carcasses off my lawn pretty easy. I think my win rate against NG has been over 70% so that's not bad at all. There are many counters to Rot Tossers and spy cards. DBomb, lock cards, scorch or even having units that can attack can thwart cow carcasses. You have to make a better deck.

+NG was bad for so long that people actually want to play the faction now that's actually... playable.

i'm happy that my 2 favorite things in gwent, spies and QG, are strong, and ofc i'll play them, especially after i've played 100s of matches using old JC and trying to make him actually work...

are they strong? ofc they are.
but counters have already appeared. NG used to autowin vs SK, now? with the new bears? it's already a fair match
special control SC? it's doing great atm
weather spam monsters? again, pretty competitive*
dorfs? may be the (not so) hidden gem
morkvarg SK? pretty good for what started as a meme deck
etc

meta is still fresh, people still play with mostly unfinished collections, etc

*not 100%wild hunt list, but a combination of weather+consume is actually doing pretty great in ladder atm, mostly feeding off SK ^^

the thing is:
MO and NR got the biggest changes, it WILL take time to get their decks figured out, but, especially MO, seem to have a decent frame to actually make top tier decks atm. NR seems like it needs some adjustments, although reaver hunters ARE great

shroudb;n8659390 said:
special control SC? it's doing great atm weather spam monsters? again, pretty competitive*

Nah, those two are clearly underdogs, together with wild hunt and NR. All tier 3 to tier 4 decks so far, until something change or somebody discovers something new.

The_def_star;n8659230 said:
NG are one of the easier factions to play in the open beta which would mean more people will play but from my experience they are far from OP. I play SK discard deck currently and I am usually able to keep those cow carcasses off my lawn pretty easy. I think my win rate against NG has been over 70% so that's not bad at all. There are many counters to Rot Tossers and spy cards. DBomb, lock cards, scorch or even having units that can attack can thwart cow carcasses. You have to make a better deck.

I have a couple of NG decks -- the starter deck and one I made. I don't rely on reveal, and Rot Tossers are dangerous to toss out there, so I only have one for last ditched effort. I mulligan it usually if it comes up. I'd rather not risk it coming back at me when I'm down to 2 or 3 cards that can't deal with it if it's thrown back, and it's liable to nail one of my buffed cards instead of a lower one. I'm not sure NG is too overpowered, exactly, or if it's a matter of just needing to know how to counter it. This is why it's a good idea to learn all the factions by playing all the factions [or however else you want to get to know them] -- knowing your enemy means you have a better idea of how to beat it.

zhiphius;n8657030 said:
Not only that, the silver who reveal a unit and gains it strength is way to strong too. Reveal KoB and she's a 25 str SILVER. I've seen her at 20 str alot too. But i guess on average she's around 14. Thats too much for having a positive effect. She synergizes with the guy who sets a opposing revealed bronze\silver str to 1 as well.
Your WAY over exagerating her effect mate. She's a 4 str base strength unit and if she reveals KoB she only goes up to 9 not 25...I have no idea how you think she gets to 25.
The highest Ive gotten her is to 19 from revealing a Hjalmar, On average as you said she reveals a unit between 6-10 which is still pretty good value for a Silver.

Tamacountry13;n8659720 said:
Your WAY over exagerating her effect mate. She's a 4 str base strength unit and if she reveals KoB she only goes up to 9 not 25...I have no idea how you think she gets to 25.
The highest Ive gotten her is to 19 from revealing a Hjalmar, On average as you said she reveals a unit between 6-10 which is still pretty good value for a Silver.

yea woops my mistake :p

Anyone defending NG's state is just either abusing it or hasn't played vs good players using it.

The factions has it all. Reveal is cheap as hell, there's no counter to it. They get to see your whole hand so if they aren't bad they can be ready for everything you do. They can block your draw. They can steal your units and use your strenght against you on top of what they already have. They are the only faction with a silver that has a double lock. They also have a silver that not only resets buffed units but also reduces their base strenght...Insane tempo openers of 20+ points. Tiborg in last round +25 gold pretty much for free. Meanwhile we have terrible golds like Vanilla Geralt at 10 strenght and max 12....
They can draw 25 cards easily in one game. They have insane chains with spy units. Acess to carryover of huge units...
Leader reset to draw one of the 3 cards they want...

All you see in ranked is NG all day.

There are so many cards that counter cow carcasses now though.

- Dimeritium Shackles
- Epidemic (Very Occasional)
- Alzur's Thunder
- Decoy
- Ekimmara
- Harpie Eggs (They'll get destroyed for a positive trade in strength)
- Northern Realms is actually pretty weak against cows, but then again, they did lose to Nilfgaard, haha.
- Clan Brokvar Archers

Anyway, my point is that players need to stop whining so much and adapt to this new way of playing. Your deck won't always win.

And You have to spend good cards like thunder to hit it, while NG still have 6hp card (Tosser)?
But it is not only Cow making this faction op.

BTW, ST have very limited ways to remove cows ;/ Before open beta we could do it with Archers, but now only to enemies.

this is a beta and if everyone is playing NG so be it, this is how we find out how to balance factions instead of players complaining about how op a faction is, constructive feedback on how to balance certain cards would be much better, balancing will be achieved through playing thus we have betas before official release to iron it out as much as possible.

I don't know how anyone is lucky enough to play mostly against the Nilfs. I'd say a good 80% of my matches are against Eredin. No matter what patch it is, no matter how far along the game is, everyone seems to want to play weather.

Nilfgaard did get some serious love in this patch though, its nice to see the reveal mechanic adding something, its so fun to play with. The only thing I'd say thats close to OP is probably cow carcass, if only because there just isn't any natural counter to it (yes locking, or decoy, but that's wasting a big card for a bronze card that can be spammed anyway). I'd say spies were mostly nerfed though, which is probably a good thing, they weren't too strong in closed beta, they were just seriously annoying to play against.

doskol;n8660100 said:
And You have to spend good cards like thunder to hit it, while NG still have 6hp card (Tosser)?
But it is not only Cow making this faction op.

BTW, ST have very limited ways to remove cows ;/ Before open beta we could do it with Archers, but now only to enemies.

im playing ST right now as my main focus. While i agree that Nilfgaard is pretty strong im having no issues facing them once i understood how to identify there main strats. ST has amazing movement and i play dwarves so i just laugh at rot tossers. They need tuning an thats only because they can play great tempo and control at the same time with no real downside. Auckes is the biggest issue for me. having a double lock thats practically a leader card which you can then decoy is flat out unfair. other than that i think people should spend less time whining on the forums and more time watching lets plays and deck guides to GETGUD.

i did meet quite a few NG decks on my way to LV 7, and while i do agree its pretty rough to counter, i did find some ways with Scotia, like scorch/dwarvs.

doskol;n8655140 said:
Guys seriously. We all know NG is a little bit too strong. But is this a reason why 8 on 10 matches I have played was NG?
To be honest. For me this is clear abuse of OP fraction and its lame. I understand this is only a game, unfair, but still game. Just dont do lame things.
Regards.

People who play NG are bad players that watched streams and coppied a deck they don't know how to use. I just bring some bears out and kill the rest of their units with other cards.
Then at the end the look on their face when coral pops up after 3 rounds of dealing with 4 queensgaurds that are 8-11 in power is priceless. I have yet to lose to NG.

NG is garbage against my me, even with the best cards and a veteran player, it's trash. Earlier today I played my weakest SK deck against a level 10 that was streaming and I mulligan for THREE savage bears just to prove it. The tears of my opponent were delicious while I had 3 bears out, watching them struggling on what card to play as they wiped the tears in fear. Then right after they take out 2 bears, I just bring out Rag Nar Roog to rub in it. They bring their crap NG out and I've already used Bran on 3 queens guard. I use Hjalmar and then just decoy it to use it again. They bring out more trash and I just mad man lugos it. The NR mainstream loser streamer passes in embarrassing fashion.

I bring out 3 queens guards, then a bear, then Hjalmar. That puts me at 55 and I watch them struggle, wasting all their cards until I"m up 2 going into the final round.

I bring out my queens guards again, followed by a gremist good for a 12 str bear, and res a clan craite warrior for 10.

The guy rages right on his stream and probably ran off to return his xb1 back to game stop. I'm sure this neckbeard will make a lovely addition to their local comic card shop while they sit there playing MTG on saturday nights with other people of social anxiety while the rest of us go out and live a healthy, normal life.

And all because they thought they were boss for spending $$$$ on a NG deck playing noobs until they got to level 9-10. Oh well, gotta put my phone away. Movie is about to start. Tired of owning these NG noobs.

Top Bottom