Stop making RNG meme cards

+
What is the thing with this type of cards ? they hype them and they are just rng for memes (and no even good ones) , I'm talking about gaunter , alzur and in the future cosimo ? thats one less non meme cards in the expansion...

Personally I'm not a fan of them either, but I can see their appeal to players who want variety in their plays.

There are a number of "Cornerstone" type of neutral cards and many of them are good and still competitive, such as Ciri Nova, Radeyah, and Shupe. Just because a few get nerfed to oblivion (Sihil) or are overly purposely random doesn't mean they should stop being made.

Winning with memes is fun, just ask MisterHabbla, and that fun factor is the reason they hype them so much. "Come have some random fun and perhaps win with it" is a sire call to the casual player, and thus many games do it.

[...]
Just because a few get nerfed to oblivion (Sihil) or are overly purposely random doesn't mean they should stop being made.
[...]
How is Sihil an RNG card ?

My issue with them is that we already have 2 in the expansion, which is fine, however when the expansion, that we have to wait for 6 months for, consists of even more joke/meme cards I am starting to get disappointed in the whole package of joke/meme cards taking too many spots of (in my opinion) actually interesting cards (and of those we know that a good portion will also be bad).

DRK3

Forum veteran
I would rather say - stop hating RNG and meme cards.

They are already weaker and unviable in most cases. Alzur comes to break that tendency.
There's nothing wrong with RNG inherently, it will only become problematic if it reliably delivers way more value than other cards of same provision cost. In that case, its a balancing issue, but then again, you also have cards with 0 RNG involved and yet they're extremely overtuned.
In fact, RNG promotes the player's skill to adapt and adjust to each situation. I know this is not the case of Alzur, where you just get whatever its spawned, but other RNG cards like create, fall into this category.

I agree that the core of the new cards of an expansion should be more "serious", im ok with that as long as they belong to a well designed archetype and have original mechanics. But if its just gonna be 'do x dmg' and 'boost by y', and direct upgrades or variations of cards that already exist, i would rather take some quality meme content.

RNG is not that much problem itself. The problem is that it takes spots among only 70 cards which we have once half a year.
So yeah people worry about every card.

ya1

Forum regular
The problem with RNG cards is that they form a third layer of RNG after matchups and draws. Player agency is at all time low right now in Gwent. Save a few matches where rolls happen to even out, what you do and how you do it is of very little consequence. Many games play themselves, and the player - outside avoiding obvious misplays and misclicks - is unable to affect the outcome in the least.

So when a total abomination of a card like Alzur is introduced, with the RNG ceiling is so unapologetically high, it basically make the whole game boil down to how it rolls. Just as if it didn't already boil down to how you match up and how many golds you draw.

Top Bottom