Stop special card decks!!

+
Tonight I have play more of 10 matches whit special card deck. I d´ont win any of them. I am "expert" in this deck type.
If you think special card decks are a problem for game, you should try to play whit them for watch the reality.

Last edited:
I'm not convinced these low-unit decks are really 'manned'. There's far too much RNG involved to ensure you get the precise card you want in the order you want it. As the last post says, you could play over and over without picking up a win. Yet come up AGAINST it, how many of you have lost? Quite a few, I'd guess, hence the OP.

So we have a forum whereby people are moaning about these decks, where people are using them and failing to win, yet quite a few people are coming up against them and losing - that not sound a bit suspicious??

I'm not convinced these low-unit decks are really 'manned'. There's far too much RNG involved to ensure you get the precise card you want in the order you want it. As the last post says, you could play over and over without picking up a win. Yet come up AGAINST it, how many of you have lost? Quite a few, I'd guess, hence the OP.

So we have a forum whereby people are moaning about these decks, where people are using them and failing to win, yet quite a few people are coming up against them and losing - that not sound a bit suspicious??

Also, the Earth is flat.

that not sound a bit suspicious??
No, it does not. There have always been cards and decks like that; some say they are OP while others say they are difficult to win with. For example, Spell Scoia'tael decks used to be widely hated because they were so "OP" -- despite those who played them sometimes saying the exact opposite.

No, it does not. There have always been cards and decks like that; some say they are OP while others say they are difficult to win with.

Someone says "it's OP" - they have played against, and lost against, that deck.
Someone says "it's difficult to win with" - they have played with, and lost with, that deck.

That kind of is my point :)

What I see a lack of is someone saying "yeah, it is easy" having played with, and won with, that deck.

That kind of is my point
Why is it suspicious then? Every time someone loses with a no-unit deck, the opponent wins against that deck. Every time someone loses against a no-unit deck, the opponent wins with that deck. People are more likely to complain about losing than posting about games they won, because that's just human nature.

Why is it suspicious then? Every time someone loses with a no-unit deck, the opponent wins against that deck. Every time someone loses against a no-unit deck, the opponent wins with that deck. People are more likely to complain about losing than posting about games they won, because that's just human nature.

Errrr, because NOBODY on this forum has commented on how easy it is to win with this deck?

Errrr, because NOBODY on this forum has commented on how easy it is to win with this deck?
With so much overwhelming hate towards such decks as there is around here, I don't think that's any wonder.
In Hot Topics alone: "Stop special card decks!!", "Solution on No Unit Decks".

It doesn't matter if no-unit decks are strong or weak, tier 1 or tier 4, are used by many or few, can be countered or not or create diversity. They are simply unfun and are the opposite of what is communicated by CDPR that Gwent tries to accomplish: armies clashing, a battlefield, strategic play. That's why the possibility to create these decks doesn't belong in Gwent. It's about vision and standards and sticking to them. Freddybabes explained it quite nicely.

For me is not unfun play whit this deck or against... Only is different and fast for both players.
In fact, as it is easier to win these decks, you win matches and rounds in less time...
Few players use it because it's not good for high competition.

If you don't like special card deck, either tech to beat them easily (if you are encountering a lot of them at your rank) or simply quit and queue into a different player. Either way, problem solved.

There is nobody forcing you to play out a match that you're not enjoying.

As I tried to explain, these arguments don't matter. No-unit decks are simply not the game that Gwent is advertised to be.

As if to disprove my own point, I just played against - and won - one of these. The weird thing was the oppo boosting the dragon to 18, and having CoC as their last card. Didn't GG, never do - win or lose. It's completely against the spirit of the game.

Cards vs Cards I think is the spirit of all card games...
Different strategies... is all.
Less interesting and boring for the game is to see that everyone plays the same TIER 1/2 decks.

Guest 4344268

Tonight I have play more of 10 matches whit special card deck. I d´ont win any of them. I am "expert" in this deck type.
If you think special card decks are a problem for game, you should try to play whit them for watch the reality.

I don't understand your logic: these decks are difficult to pilot and therefore not a problem for the game? These decks completely rule out skilled counterplay and drain all fun out of the game for the opponent. (Watch Freddybabes' recent YouTube video for an assessment of the arguments for and against. Spoiler alert: he and most of the more experienced players think these decks are bad for the game.)

Also, you can't just forfeit against these people on ladder because you lose mmr. Needless to say, forfeiting on casual is a no-brainer.

I don't understand your logic: these decks are difficult to pilot and therefore not a problem for the game? These decks completely rule out skilled counterplay and drain all fun out of the game for the opponent. (Watch Freddybabes' recent YouTube video for an assessment of the arguments for and against. Spoiler alert: he and most of the more experienced players think these decks are bad for the game.)

Also, you can't just forfeit against these people on ladder because you lose mmr. Needless to say, forfeiting on casual is a no-brainer.

From the fact there are non in top tier, and even this "expert" couldn't buy a win, I'd say the CDPR matchmaking algorithm is doing its' "thing" which it's designed for; firmly encourage diversity in your play, discourage things that don't fit with their plans.

I respect Freddybabes’ achievements in Gwent but I see him as a young popular streamer and when it comes to ‘no unit’ decks I don’t share his view at all.
I played about 300 games on the ladder in past 3 seasons with my ‘no unit’ Ethiene deck. I managed to climb from R15 to R7 in the first, from R11 to R7 in the second and this season from R11 to R7 again. Than I used the meta Big Woodland pointslam to push to R6.
My ‘no unit’ deck plays 8-9 units, 8-9 spells and 8 artifacts. The notion that you can run 2-3 units and be competitive at higher ranks (R15 and brtter) is hard to believe. Also thinking that you need destroy artifact effects to beat it is a total misconception. To call this deck no skill or low skill play is a major misunderstanding. It’s super dificult to build properly and master and you have to think hard on the spot every single game. Same goes for your opponent. It is beatable with many types of decks. The ‘no unit’ is truly strong agains unit based heavy removal decks.
What is ‘fun’ to play with or against in a competitive TCG/CCG is very subjective. The easiest solution is to add a casual ‘fun’ mode where you can play only units, no spells no artifacts. That would make all the people calling for simplistic, purely unit basesed play happy, without the need to change the game and ban or remove cards and mechanics in general and preserve the much needed complexity, variety and freedom of choice.
Note, I was a Beta player and I played MTG a lot before Gwent on and off in past 3 decades.

Last edited:
I respect Freddybabes’ achievements in Gwent but he is a young populist streamer and when it comes to ‘no unit’ decks I don’t share his view at all.
I played about 300 games on the ladder in past 3 seasons with my ‘no unit’ Ethiene deck. I managed to climb from R15 to R7 in the first, from R11 to R7 in the second and this season from R11 to R7 again. Than I used the meta Big Woodland pointslam to push to R6.
My ‘no unit’ deck plays 8-9 units, 8-9 spells and 8 artifacts. The notion that you can run 2-3 units and be competitive at higher ranks (R15 and brtter) is laughable. Also thinking that you need destroy artifact effect to win is a total misconception. To call this deck no skill or low skill play is laughable as well. It’s super dificult to build properly and master and you have to think hard on the spot every single game. Same goes for your opponent. It is beatable with many types of decks. The ‘no unit’ is truly strong agains unit based heavy removal decks.
What is ‘fun’ to play with or against in a competitive TCG/CCG is very subjective. The easiest solution is to add a casual ‘fun’ mode where you can play only units, no spells no artifacts. That woul make all the people calling for simplistic, purely unit basesed play happy, without the need to change the game and ban or remove cards and mechanics in general and preserve the much needed complexity, variety and freedom of choice.
Note, I was a Beta player and I played MTG a lot before Gwent on an off in past 3 decades.
I hope you meant "popular" not "populist". Other than that, for me this post is really awesome, because I finally have the chance to hear (read) the other side. You write with passion, which I really like. I hope I once get to see a higher rank no-unit match from the perspective of the no-unit player someday. Would love to make my own mind.

I hope you meant "popular" not "populist". Other than that, for me this post is really awesome, because I finally have the chance to hear (read) the other side. You write with passion, which I really like. I hope I once get to see a higher rank no-unit match from the perspective of the no-unit player someday. Would love to make my own mind.
Thank you. I also corrected my mistake you rightly pointed out (popular).

Last edited:
Top Bottom