Stories from the world of The Witcher, by A. Sapkowski

+
Stories from the world of The Witcher, by A. Sapkowski

At the moment there are three stories written by Andrzej Sapkowski, which were translated to English. You can download them here. The WitcherA Grain of TruthLesser EvilEnjoy! Although those stories were already posted through different topics at this board, now they are little easier to find :)

Yes - if you guys (on this forum) like it we may think of translating one or two more for english speaking users. And, as Monky said, SHARE YOUR IMPRESSIONS - it's really important for us since story of our game is based on books

2Dziadu:Well, it's possible to translate another parts into english, but it would be russian-english, not polish-english translations. I think, I can gather translators team... but this work must be aworded.

@Ksandr - I don't think we need amatuer translations. Of these three short stories, two I'd call half-professional. Beware, in 'The Witcher' story all the names are changed except for Geralt :/ A Grain of Truth as you can see is from Gollancz publishing hosue.

Righty. This is the first time i got to read any stories about the Witcher and i must say i really enjoyd it. (I read the "The Witcher story) The style is very good. The text is interesting and describive enough. Good atmosphere too and an interesting story. It's also a very good translation. More would be welcome!By the way... Have any of the books been translated yet?

I really enjoyed all three of those stories; the translations, while not perfect, are pretty good, and I really like Sapkowski's style of writing. I'd love to see a couple more of his stories translated into English.

The lesser Evil is a disappointment. Awfull translation. Couldnt even read the whole story. One to go. I hope this one will be properly translated.

there is a little funkiness left to the translations that is true, but I'm sure they will be polished before publication. Getting a good translation and not losing all of the nuance and magic originally intended by the author is darn near impossible sometimes, so it seems. I'm sure anyone who has tried to learn another language can understand this. Have you ever run into the baffling instance where you can finally understand something in a second language, but for the life of you, you cannot come up with a good back translation into your own native tongue?! Makes you question what is language really? But all translation issues aside, I was surprised you did not care for Lesser Evil. I felt it was the strongest story of the three. As for overall impressions, I am reserving judgement until I am able to read further of Sapkowski's works. I am not entirely certain of what the author's true intentions are. At this point, I feel there is still the chance that my first impressions and interpretations could be WAY off base. So we will see...

These stories are quite different and as such are good for presenting Sapkowski's style. The translation could be better though but mind you they are all, well, unofficial.The Lesser Evil is reflective, psychological and a bit philospophical. It gives a good insight into Geralt's character, his relations with people and his place in society. The Witcher is a good example of the 'action part' of the novels. The Grain of Truth is where Sapkowski shows his mastery in playing with stories and sparkling dialogues. Sapkowski is not fond of building epic worlds like Tolkien, he's more of a (sometimes coarse) storyteller. Short stories are what they are and they have their own rules. The Saga is a bit different with deeper intrigue, more politics, less experiments... it's more predictable and not as fun IMO.PS/edit Loopy, are you French/French speaking?

macell said:
PS/edit Loopy, are you French/French speaking?
I am American, but I have studied French for several years now. I just got back to the states after having studied in France for a semester. So I can speak quite a bit, but my French is by no means perfect I can read alot better than I speak.

Are these in order or what? Missing stories between them, etc?I really want to read the Witcher stories but I'd like to go in order of how they were written by the author and such (bit of a stickler for that sort of thing :p ).

Hmm.. I'll try to re-read the Lesser Evil story. I dont doubt that the translation isn't correct but the words used are a bit odd at times. Or plain even. The language is not as ritch as in The Witcher and The Grain of Truth. I know translation is hard. I personally would prefer reading everything in the original form and language. unfortunately I know only English and Finnish.

Loopy said:
macell said:
PS/edit Loopy, are you French/French speaking?
I am American, but I have studied French for several years now. I just got back to the states after having studied in France for a semester. So I can speak quite a bit, but my French is by no means perfect I can read alot better than I speak.
This might interest you then. http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/2914370490/171-6275340-81842 58?v=glance&n=301061edit: I just saw in another topic that you're aware of the existence of this translation :)

There is no such thing as perfect translation, just from a simple reason that you'll never find two persons who feel the same about it. Some people like straight and literal, and some prefer modifications to keep the spirit of the novel alive. Stiler -> Well those stories are not directly connected and you might find some inaccuracies - Sapkowski didn't wrote them all at once. "The last wish" book which includes those stories and few more, is enhanced with special chapters that lead the way from one to another.

Dziadu said:
Yes - if you guys (on this forum) like it we may think of translating one or two more for english speaking users. And, as Monky said, SHARE YOUR IMPRESSIONS - it's really important for us since story of our game is based on books
I'm sure everybody here would absolutely love to have another story or two translated into English. Is there any chance we might get another one soon??

Top Bottom