Story and main character ideas for a new Witcher game (Spoilers, maybe)

+
As a fan of The Witcher 3 and therefore CDPR, I have enjoyed playing Cyberpunk 2077 recently. However, it wasn’t as amazing as The Witcher 3 with its DLCs for me. The characters, the quest lines, the Witcher world just feels richer to me. Just my personal preference, that is all. It has made me think about a potential new Witcher game though, what would I like to see and how would I go about it if I was involved in writing the script. So I came up with a way to integrate a new ‘main’ character and a fairly significant side quest that allows the player to indulge in the world of the Witcher with a clean slate. Let me know what you think and i apologise for the long read in advance. So here goes..

We open with a scene showing Triss attending a ball at court in Kovir, where she has established herself as advisor to king Tangred Thyssen, after her successful escape from Novigrad. During the ball she is approached by another familiar face, Count Beledal, which we met during the ‘Big Game Hunter’ quest in Blood & Wine. He tells Triss that during one of his many journeys he had purchased a statue, which he was told held some form of magic. This, however, was not the only reason the statue had piqued the interest of the Count. He had recognised the armour the figurine was wearing, it reminded him of a certain Witcher who had saved his life years earlier. Intrigued by the story, Triss agrees to meet with Count Beledal the very next day..

Upon seeing the statue, Triss immediately recognises the basic wolven armour the figurine is wearing from her time spent among the Witchers of Kaer Morhen. Even though she doesn’t seem to recognise the figure she decides to break the curse..

[This prompts a character creation screen allowing the player to create their very own Witcher]

Once created, the awakened figure appears to be a young Witcher who is completely disorientated. After being calmed by Triss and the Count he tells them he had not long left Kaer Morhen after finishing his training when taking on, what seemed to be a straight forward contract investigating a haunted farm, only to be surprised by a Sorceress appearing behind him.. He remembers nothing after that moment.

During their following conversation Triss deduces the young Witcher had fencing training from Vesemir, but has not heard of Eskal, Lambert or Geralt and must have therefore finished training before them, meaning he has been a statue for a substantial amount of time. The young Witcher being a Witcher nonetheless asks Triss who to see for work. Count Beledal informs him he has some work for him and they head off together. During his first interaction the Count sets the Witcher up with a few side quests with various local merchants and notable characters in Kovir. What could be a nice extra here is Count Beledal inviting the player (read: Witcher) to a concert in Kovir of the now traveling musical couple Dandelion and Priscilla. At the concert the player meets with Zoltan, who provides ‘security’ for the couple, issuing another side quest. Something about providing him with a specific mead not readily available in Kovir or anything along those lines. Zoltan is Zoltan after all.

After a first mission with Count Beledal the main quest line starting in Kovir will be prompted, however, I have not given the main quest much thought, so we’ll have to leave that here for now.

On top of the main quest line there would be a very significant second thread involving visits and appearances of some of our favourite characters intended to weave our character into the existing world of the Witcher. This will give the player a gradual, natural way to integrate into the world whilst being surrounded by great characters instead of starting ‘fresh’ with a bunch of new characters. New characters and stories will obviously be added through the main quest, other side quests and contracts. Some ideas for this secondary thread..

After settling in for a little while Triss informs the player she knows of another Witcher of the School of the Wolf. Apparently he has settled in Toussaint and has abandoned the Witcher life (Little side note here, if Triss ended up in Beauclair with Geralt in your playthrough of The Witcher 3 we may have to substitute her with Fringilla Vigo or another sorceress for this quest). This sets the player on a journey across the sea [cutscene] with a brief stop in Skellige for supplies. During our brief stint in the harbour or Kaer Trolde we meet Ermion. After catching the player up on the current situation in Skellige (influenced by our choice in Wild Hunt) he asks the player for help on a matter of great importance, thus issuing another side quest. Ermion needs the player to visit the Amell mountains to retrieve something related to Lara Dorren. Something that can only be found in the hidden cemetery of Tir Na Bae Arainne. As we are on our way to Cintra and will be traversing the mountains on our journey to Toussaint anyway, we agree to help.

A further cutscene sees us finally sailing into Cintra. Besides picking up a few contracts here we learn about Cirilla/Ciri as a young princess. This could be part of the Ermion quest. We make our way through Cintra and the Amell mountains, furthering Ermions quest, to finally reach the beautiful Duchy of Toussaint and the city of Beauclair. Here we are directed towards Corvo Bianco, where we meet Geralt (and Yen or Triss, based on your choice in Wild Hunt). When we meet Geralt he is in the process of being dragged to one of the many balls in Beauclair. In true Geralt style he is complaining about his chafing tunic and the prospect of a day filled with meaningless conversation and dancing. His partner physically pushing him out the front door of his vineyard. As he eyes you coming up the steps of the terras he immediately spots your medallion. After a brief introduction, during which Geralt is reminded of the time often, he invites you to come along to the ball.

The ball turns out to either be in honour of the return of Lady Vivienne de Tabris from her five year travels or the wedding of Lady Vivienne to Guillaume de Launfal, again depending on the choices made during her quest in Blood & Wine. As another little throwback the sommelier attending the wedding (we know him from his incredibly sensitive nose during our quest with Anna Henrietta in Blood & Wine) has a little chat with us about the incredible wine at the party. Apparently the Belgaard vineyard has thrived since it has been renovated. During the ball/wedding Anna Henrietta, introduced to you by Geralt, gives you a quest. This could be a quest investigating any potential left-over vampires in Toussaint, something she has been pestering Geralt about to no avail. A little fun idea I had here was Regis making a quick appearance at Corvo Bianco, visiting Geralt. Geralt, aware of your quest but protecting his friend, doesn’t tell you Regis is a vampire. Therefore, the player controlling the in-game character, Geralt and Regis all share a secret whilst the in-game character is unaware. I can imagine some innuendos and subtle hints going over the head of the in-game character could be quite hilarious. For example, Geralt telling the in-game character Regis has mellowed in his latter years having had a bit of a bitey character in his younger years or something along those lines. I’m no joke-writer as you can tell.

Another nice throwback for many, again based on your choices in Wild Hunt, may be walking onto the balcony of the Pheasantry in Beauclair hearing a familiar voice. The voice is obviously only recognised by the player and not the in-game character. The familiar loud voice is sharing tales whilst all the people on the balcony are listening with bated breath.. It’s the Bloody Baron and his wife, seemingly healthy and happily settling in Beauclair after she was recently cured during their stay in the Blue Mountains. The Bloody Baron tells you about their trip to the Blue Mountains because he recognised your medallion and tells you about how Geralt saved him and his family. You then tell him that Geralt is also in Toussaint and the Baron immediately takes off to find him. Geralt later references meeting the Baron. All of this obviously only happens if the Bloody Baron and his wife survived in the Wild Hunt.

Our adventures in Toussaint end with Geralt thanking you for your help and wishing you well on the Path. As a token of his, now friendship, with you he allows you to pick one piece of his Witcher gear. I would suggest his silver sword, starting armour in the Wild Hunt or mastercrafted Wolver armour. Another option could be that there is a cutscene where Geralt takes you back to the forge in Kaer Morhen and together you craft a sword or a piece of armour. Personally, I would prefer something handed down to me by Geralt as it seems more meaningful.

The whole side quest, when given to you by Triss in Kovir, could be a three-pronged quest. So on top of the Geralt story you also visit Eskel and Lambert. Helping Eskel slay a few monsters before receiving something Eskel was given by Vesemir and helping Lambert free Keira from some kind of trouble she got herself in. As you can tell this is not properly thought out, but I think just the Geralt part is already quite long for a ‘side quest’, so I haven’t given it too much thought.

On the way back to Kovir, or wherever you go next on the main quest, you deliver what Ermion requested from you to him in Skellige. Doing this triggers a cutscene where either Ermion takes you to Ciri (now the princess or Queen of Nilfgaard) who as it transpires, asked Ermion to research/retrieve something of her ancestry or, if Ciri is now a Witcher, she visits Ermion to ask what he found. If Ciri died in Wild Hunt he just uses it for his personal research and gives you some kind of a reward.

I realise this may all be a bit too happy and too much fan service for the dark world of the Witcher, but it’s only a (significant) side quest. The Lara Dorren/Ermion quest as well as the main quest can be darker. The vampire part in Toussaint can also have a darker undertone. Personally, I loved Toussaint and the ‘lightness’ it brought, so I would happily revisit it.

Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:
Even though she doesn’t seem to recognise the figure she decides to break the curse..
Artefact compression is a novel method of introducing a new character, I'll say that. Although, this does rather leave the questions of why the sorceress wanted a compressed witcher, in the first place, and whether that sorceress would figure into your main quest at all. . . .

I realise this may all be a bit too happy and too much fan service for the dark world of the Witcher, but it’s only a (significant) side quest.
Ay, I think it might be, a bit, and I rather fancy the REDs would probably prefer developing more new characters, rather than revisiting so many existing ones; however, overall, you've my commendations on your creative weaving of the various character threads. Thanks for sharing.

Artefact compression is a novel method of introducing a new character, I'll say that. Although, this does rather leave the questions of why the sorceress wanted a compressed witcher, in the first place, and whether that sorceress would figure into your main quest at all. . . .

Ay, I think it might be, a bit, and I rather fancy the REDs would probably prefer developing more new characters, rather than revisiting so many existing ones; however, overall, you've my commendations on your creative weaving of the various character threads. Thanks for sharing.

1. I get what you are saying, this might be something that can explored in a different quest line. My (loose) thought behind the sorceress are a lone sorceress hiding from danger (a bit like Keira Metz in Velen) and scaring the locals off with some tricks to make the farm appear haunted. Realising the Witcher won't fall for such tricks, she does what she feels is necessary to protect herself. Her not being sure whether the Witcher is there to kill her or to solve the 'haunted' problem. So in short, self preservation. I don't know enough about which sorceress lived when, so I'd have to do some digging into which sorceress would be suitable for the time the compression happened.

2. I agree, and I do think the main story should focus on new stories and locations, hence Kovir and the Amell Mountains being mentioned. I just think adding some 'baggage' to our new character and giving him a sense of belonging in the world, some associations with existing characters would be nice.

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! :)

The Witcher 4 must have a dark and dangerous environment. Politics and treason everywhere. A complex content (necessarily directed towards an adult audience) that explores every corner of our creativity.

I hear a lot of people talking about ciri as a possible protagonist for the next Witcher game. Which I think might make for a good game, although I would be lying if I said I wasn't hoping for a few new faces to play as. Now I've always been a sucker for vampires, but I really do think it would be a SUPER interesting game to play as a bruxa, (and if you could find a way without making the player to OP) a higher vampire, or something of a similar bread. I think Blood and Wine proved a wonderful window into vampiric politics and culture, and I feel that you could make a really interesting and fun game built around a vampire in one of the clans introduced in Blood and Wine. Although that is just an example, I would be just as happy to play a witcher from a different school, a Toussant knight errant traveling to some place like Kovir in search for fame, or even a mage if it could be done correctly. My only concern with writing a game with Ciri, or really any of TW3 characters, is we already know their stories and characters. Sure a game played from the eyes of Ciri might shed some light on her travels, we know her enemy, struggles, and the basic road map of her story. And , I dont see it being it's own unique story aside from the events in TW3. I think this stands clear for most characters in TW3, aside from Vesimir. And while it would be cool to see the hayday of witchers through the fencing instructor's eyes, It still wouldnt be an entirely new story. I think the biggest problem in making the first game without Geralt, about any key character from his trilogy especially such a significant character like Ciri. Is it would just feel like a spin off of the previous title. This next step in The Witcher Franchise, provides CD project red a chance to take a step away from the source material and make a fully unique story of their own that stands aside from the previous titles. While also standing as a bold claim to the Witcher titles to come, or even spark off an entirley new trilogy. So making that story about a character we spent most of the previous game discovering just doesnt seem like a good way to establish the next step in the witcher Franchise. Of course you could also go in the opposite direction, having the player play Ciri after the events of TW3, but again I dont see how that would make it it's own game and not just a TW3 part 2 or "not the witcher 4, but. kinda the witcher 4". (4 used, as the fourth game to that trilogy, not the next Witcher game). Having said, if the creatives at CD project red are really feeling ciri, I would support them in making the game, because I'd rather play a game with old charecters and a great creative story, vs a new game that is dry.
Post automatically merged:

A few ideas (and bare with me its early):

To play it safe they could make a different, you could center the story around an elven scoittelle (sorry for the spelling), seeking a place for his family, only to have them butchered by someone. then you could keep the same sort of battle-prep focus (potions, traps, poisons, ect) and the basic 3 stage seeking out different people who killed them. I think it's a lot dryer and kind of a re-cut of TW3, but put it in a different area and fill it with nice characters and show the racial disparity from an elven eye. And I think it might be a safe bet after Cyberpunk.

A bruxa after being Ex-communicated from the Vampire clan, finding a place to fit in with human society, or reclaiming your seat among your kind. And on the off chance they want to make a bold game they could have the story centered around choosing one of the paths. Re-joining those who cast you out, or finding a place to live among the humans. Weather that be by slowly earning their trust by doing odd jobs, killing monsters, protecting towns, a pardon and citizenship for a royal, helping sway a political conflict, just hiding disguised as a human, or any number of things. Or vice versa, to rejoin the vamps, on a quest through the land to regain the trust and familial bond of your kind. Perhaps there's going to be a conflict between the humans and vampires which make the choices mutually exclusive. and perhaps there's a moral issue on either side. Maybe, after saving a few humans from the vampires and being cast out because of it, there's a bloody path you have to follow to regain company with them. Or perhaps you can choose weather to hide yourself among humanity fitting in more easily while letting atrocities happen or stop some great atrocity (maybe public executions, some racist attacking an elven family, or even an invading force) and you have to choose in several, or one key, scenarios/scenario weather to out yourself as a Bruxa and save someone/many people/turn the tide of the war. Or, keep quiet and let them happen and keep your identity hidden. Or prehaps you can use your powers to stop some event, maybe a raiding party, but then find a two children or someone that saw you as a vampire. Do you kill the children/people and keep your secret? possibly turning the public's eyes to a possible monster in their midst, or let them go and out yourself. WHICH in either scenario might even cause people to hire a witcher to go kill you. BUT that witcher is Geralt, and he sees you meant no harm, and mean well, and are intellegent, so prehaps he aids you on a main quest mission or two, and that act's as his cameo in the game? Or if you killed them, idk, you have to end up fighting a witcher who isnt geralt. It's just so open ended and personally i think the morality dillemmas possible are near infinite. Which is why I think it'd be just so cool to play as a bruxa.

Now it's 2 am I will most likely be back later.

Last edited:
Idea for the next game: Have a male protagonist as before, because it's more in line with the medieval society's structure (that fantasy is based upon), and keep the traditional eurosentric fantasy setting as in previous Witcher games. No Ciri as the main protagonist, but let us play as a witcher (which can only be male in the books). Those are the two big ones for me.

Last edited:
A few ideas (and bare with me its early):
I don't think it would make sense to have a main character who isn't a witcher. There's nothing wrong with not changing direction; in fact, it would just feel forced considering the source material (which should continue to be in a key part).

A lesser vampire especially would not fit at all. It would be way too much of a 180 to suddenly have witchers be enemies. There are other games that focus on vampires, and in my opinion the Witcher franchise should never go in that direction. Lesser vampires are monsters and should not be given the spotlight in this franchise.
(Also a personal preference here: I absolutely loathe vampires.)

Interesting ideas!
I'd personally love more The Witcher Tales style of stories but not with GWENT gameplay. Thronebreaker's Meve was amazing and I love how CDPR writes characters. It would have been fun to be Roche and go on a special mission, or as Iorveth taking the squirrels on an attack that goes horribly wrong.

I don't think it would make sense to have a main character who isn't a witcher. There's nothing wrong with not changing direction; in fact, it would just feel forced considering the source material (which should continue to be in a key part).

A lesser vampire especially would not fit at all. It would be way too much of a 180 to suddenly have witchers be enemies. There are other games that focus on vampires, and in my opinion the Witcher franchise should never go in that direction. Lesser vampires are monsters and should not be given the spotlight in this franchise.
(Also a personal preference here: I absolutely loathe vampires.)
I have a few points to make, not to by any means invalidate your own. I don't think being a vampire is very different from being a witcher, given that as a vampire you can hold human form and a human level of intelligence. I mean throughout the Witcher Trilogy we see a mix of good and bad witchers as well as vampires who do basically the same stuff when motivated to do so. Of which, depending on your actions in the games can be an ally or foe. In TW2 we see Letho turn regicide when given the option to regain the school of the viper and in TW3 we see a School of the Cat Witcher murder an entire village when provoked. Committing horrible acts when put in a situation where they can regain something or just because they lost control of their anger. These witchers and their actions are mirrored by vampires in Blood and Wine, Detlaff being emotionally unstable leads to him doing roughly the same thing to Beauclair that the Cat School Witcher did to that small town. and the same thing to those Knights of Toussaint as Letho did to the northern kings. Dettlaff is almost a perfect reflection of those two witchers. And as for the enemy thing, Regis and Geralt work side by side for much of the campaign in Blood and Wine which just goes to show that Vampires can be just as much a helpful aid to end a contract, as the target of one. Not to mention physically they're both kinda humanoids but. more powerful than humans. With that in mind, the two arent very different in terms of story progression either. imagine the player making decisions as Dettlaff or Regis instead of Geralt. I dont think the overall gameplay would be all to different to Arcs that we've played through as Geralt in the past. Still the same morality questioning situations, In fact I believe playing as Regis would pretty much directly reflect the whole introduction to Iorveth quest series in TW2. While playing as Detlaff, I'll be it changed a bit to fit a player-choice story line, could closly resemble the arch between horeson Jr. and Geralt in the main story of TW3. So really I dont think it'd be that much of a change overall. Same moral questions, still super powerful, still walking that fine line between a butcher or savior of humanity.

I do agree, it'd be impossible however if you were not a sentient vampire with the ability to retain human form. Such as a Bruxa or higher vampire.

Also, I do agree with you that it's going to be difficult to make a game in the Witcher world. while not being a witcher, from a selling point. It's just a riskier move esp. with the whole cyberpunk story. But I think it'd be cool. I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

For this idea I was really going off what the dev's said, they hinted that it might not be a witcher in the next game.

I've long favoured this idea. I never felt that the cards best reflected the potentials of The Witcher Tales.
having said, I do have to say I would not be disappointed in the least playing through the game as a different witcher from different school, preferably in a different country than the northern realms, so long as the game isnt just a rinse and repeat of TW3. I'm just hoping for a new game that really sets the mark again, be it a Witcher, Knight, cursed prince, vampire, or even a mage. New story, new map, new game and I'll love it.

having said, I do have to say I would not be disappointed in the least playing through the game as a different witcher from different school, preferably in a different country than the northern realms, so long as the game isnt just a rinse and repeat of TW3. I'm just hoping for a new game that really sets the mark again, be it a Witcher, Knight, cursed prince, vampire, or even a mage. New story, new map, new game and I'll love it.
I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I'd be so happy with a 'familiar' but not the same Witcher game, set in different surroundings with new storylines and characters. I haven't played anything (including Cyberpunk) that has allowed me to get into a game as much as TW3 to the point it left me a bit sad knowing i had finished the game and would never be able to experience it for the first time again. Part of me wants to revisit (some) of that content in a new game, but I agree a change of scene and a significant amount of new characters and stories is a must. Maybe we could organically swap characters. So you enter a mission as character A, you are told to do part of the mission as character B and you walk out of the mission with character B, which then opens up their missions/side missions. During another part of the story played with character B character C enters and you flow into that storyline. So as an example: In Blood and Wine you enter as Geralt in a mission with Regis. Halfway through the mission you control Regis to fight a higher vampire and after the fight you now play as Regis and go off to find Detlaff. Just an idea :)

Honestly I won't mind whatever CDPR will create, but I would prefer the story of Vesemir. We already have some kind of back-story for him in the books, CDPR added some more in the games so they have a semi-free hand. It would take place BEFORE the books.

For me either advance a story centered on Geralt again, as we havnt explored all of the continent. It would be a good excuse to have Geralt called on for a high profile contract in another area of the continent we haven't seen yet (Kovir Poviss/Nilfgaard maybe) or;

My alternative idea would be to set the game in a time either when the first Witcher's were being created or shortly after and let the player create their own character, maybe at a different lesser know witcher school, explore the world, monsters meet new NPCs created by CDPR, develop relationships with these totally new NPCS etc. That for me gets around the problems of continuing the story set after the prior 3 and have everyone all touchy and offended by what CDPR do with Geralt etc. Would give more freedom of expression for CDPR to do what they want to do and allows a line to be drawn under Geralt's story. We occasionally hear brief anecdotes about times when witcher work was aplenty, good coin, seemed to be contracts in abundance, this could be a good time frame to explore, almost the 'golden age' before witcher's were forced into the fringes.

I really either only want to play as Geralt again or my own created MC, no one else really interests me as a playable MC in the witcher world.

Last edited:
I like the sentiment, and I think you've a few good points. I have a few big concerns with that type of gameplay. They are as listed:

Firstly, It wouldn't be as personal. One of the reasons why we love Geralt is because we as a player base have had such a personal and amazing relationship with him as a character. And i feel that playing different characters would have subtracted from that experience. TW3 was able to get so many people truly enveloped into their world and it's story was because we felt so attached and immersed in Geralts story. And I feel that playing as several people would dilute that attachment. also, imagine a game where we would see Geralt (or i suppose the next stories protagonist) acting by themselves. Imagine role playing a character that you're supposed to be in love with or just so immersed in but every other mission your controlling the person beside him.

Secondly, in relation to the first, I don't think I would have really grown to love the characters that played beside me in TW3 if I had played as them. I mean one of the ways CDPR built those relations is having them work beside Geralt. and I think that entire dynamic would be ruined if I was playing as them. which leads me into my next point: Dilemmas. Think of all the times we've been forced to pick between 2 characters? The princess and Detlaff, Roach and Djikstra, Roach and Iorveth, Letho. Or even the Skelligan jarl daughter/son in TW3. If we played as these characters it would completley change how we viewed them. We wouldn't be losing a friend, or trusting someone with our lives, we'd be entering a new pair of eyes. our relationship with those characters would only really be based off of our own actions within them not really them.

And yeah a new game would be nice with new chareceters. I'd love to see more of Kovir or something like that. But i cant urge CDPR to follow their hearts on this one enough. theyve had 3 good games in a row and 2 fantastic ones. I dont really want to risk another cyberpunk with to many new features and especially a change to something so foundational as how they tell the narrative.

Now we did play as Ciri for a second, but that was never really beside Geralt, and that was also more of him peicing together what happend to her. but I have strong reservations about playing as his equivalent's partner.

Also, I really really really want another really personal story. TW3 was immersive, warm, I grew to love geralt and appreicate his friends around him.

Uncharted 4 was a great example for how to do that type of gameplay well. And Ill tell you what that story was top notch and amazing. but it was also different. And personally, not the kinda different i'd want to see in a witcher game.

Just my fears about that, not trying to tear the idea apart at all.

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment. I'd be so happy with a 'familiar' but not the same Witcher game, set in different surroundings with new storylines and characters. I haven't played anything (including Cyberpunk) that has allowed me to get into a game as much as TW3 to the point it left me a bit sad knowing i had finished the game and would never be able to experience it for the first time again. Part of me wants to revisit (some) of that content in a new game, but I agree a change of scene and a significant amount of new characters and stories is a must. Maybe we could organically swap characters. So you enter a mission as character A, you are told to do part of the mission as character B and you walk out of the mission with character B, which then opens up their missions/side missions. During another part of the story played with character B character C enters and you flow into that storyline. So as an example: In Blood and Wine you enter as Geralt in a mission with Regis. Halfway through the mission you control Regis to fight a higher vampire and after the fight you now play as Regis and go off to find Detlaff. Just an idea :)
I like the sentiment, and I think you've a few good points. I have a few big concerns with that type of gameplay. They are as listed:

Firstly, It wouldn't be as personal. One of the reasons why we love Geralt is because we as a player base have had such a personal and amazing relationship with him as a character. And i feel that playing different characters would have subtracted from that experience. TW3 was able to get so many people truly enveloped into their world and it's story was because we felt so attached and immersed in Geralts story. And I feel that playing as several people would dilute that attachment. also, imagine a game where we would see Geralt (or i suppose the next stories protagonist) acting by themselves. Imagine role playing a character that you're supposed to be in love with or just so immersed in but every other mission your controlling the person beside him.

Secondly, in relation to the first, I don't think I would have really grown to love the characters that played beside me in TW3 if I had played as them. I mean one of the ways CDPR built those relations is having them work beside Geralt. and I think that entire dynamic would be ruined if I was playing as them. which leads me into my next point: Dilemmas. Think of all the times we've been forced to pick between 2 characters? The princess and Detlaff, Roach and Djikstra, Roach and Iorveth, Letho. Or even the Skelligan jarl daughter/son in TW3. If we played as these characters it would completley change how we viewed them. We wouldn't be losing a friend, or trusting someone with our lives, we'd be entering a new pair of eyes. our relationship with those characters would only really be based off of our own actions within them not really them.

And yeah a new game would be nice with new chareceters. I'd love to see more of Kovir or something like that. But i cant urge CDPR to follow their hearts on this one enough. theyve had 3 good games in a row and 2 fantastic ones. I dont really want to risk another cyberpunk with to many new features and especially a change to something so foundational as how they tell the narrative.

Now we did play as Ciri for a second, but that was never really beside Geralt, and that was also more of him peicing together what happend to her. but I have strong reservations about playing as his equivalent's partner.

Also, I really really really want another really personal story. TW3 was immersive, warm, I grew to love geralt and appreicate his friends around him.

Uncharted 4 was a great example for how to do that type of gameplay well. And Ill tell you what that story was top notch and amazing. but it was also different. And personally, not the kinda different i'd want to see in a witcher game.

Just my fears about that, not trying to tear the idea apart at all.

I have a few points to make, not to by any means invalidate your own. I don't think being a vampire is very different from being a witcher, given that as a vampire you can hold human form and a human level of intelligence. I mean throughout the Witcher Trilogy we see a mix of good and bad witchers as well as vampires who do basically the same stuff when motivated to do so. Of which, depending on your actions in the games can be an ally or foe. In TW2 we see Letho turn regicide when given the option to regain the school of the viper and in TW3 we see a School of the Cat Witcher murder an entire village when provoked. Committing horrible acts when put in a situation where they can regain something or just because they lost control of their anger. These witchers and their actions are mirrored by vampires in Blood and Wine, Detlaff being emotionally unstable leads to him doing roughly the same thing to Beauclair that the Cat School Witcher did to that small town. and the same thing to those Knights of Toussaint as Letho did to the northern kings. Dettlaff is almost a perfect reflection of those two witchers. And as for the enemy thing, Regis and Geralt work side by side for much of the campaign in Blood and Wine which just goes to show that Vampires can be just as much a helpful aid to end a contract, as the target of one. Not to mention physically they're both kinda humanoids but. more powerful than humans. With that in mind, the two arent very different in terms of story progression either. imagine the player making decisions as Dettlaff or Regis instead of Geralt. I dont think the overall gameplay would be all to different to Arcs that we've played through as Geralt in the past. Still the same morality questioning situations, In fact I believe playing as Regis would pretty much directly reflect the whole introduction to Iorveth quest series in TW2. While playing as Detlaff, I'll be it changed a bit to fit a player-choice story line, could closly resemble the arch between horeson Jr. and Geralt in the main story of TW3. So really I dont think it'd be that much of a change overall. Same moral questions, still super powerful, still walking that fine line between a butcher or savior of humanity.

I do agree, it'd be impossible however if you were not a sentient vampire with the ability to retain human form. Such as a Bruxa or higher vampire.

Also, I do agree with you that it's going to be difficult to make a game in the Witcher world. while not being a witcher, from a selling point. It's just a riskier move esp. with the whole cyberpunk story. But I think it'd be cool. I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

For this idea I was really going off what the dev's said, they hinted that it might not be a witcher in the next game.
Isn't very different

Last edited:
the adventures of ciri: the game
I certainly would be interesting in playing that game. Another suggestion would be to have some sort of shared play mode, similar to how in The Last of Us, you get to play Ellie during one of the chapters before switching back to Joel. For the witcher 3, I believe CDPR should've expanded the feature that allows you to control Ciri in memory recaps. You have no control over her equipment or skills and while she can loot items, you can't do alchemy. Another idea that CDPR could implement would be Geralt/Ciri co-op game or DLC. I also think they could have segments where you do gameplay of young Ciri being trained by Geralt and you can play through some training missions in memory recap segments, before switching back to adult Ciri.

I hope you won't mind me re-posting some ideas that I posted some time ago

I hope they make a new co-opable witcher3 with different story lines.This is my thought what should they make for coop if they want to make- players can choose different schools like bear/wolf/cat etc with different storylines each and some different quests and contracts and the combat/choices mechanics and looting/grinding/making swords/gears just like the witcher3 upto 4players Ik that witcher's are like lone wolf but as a game it would be fun as playing with friends is a different fun.And Ik some peoples don't like single player games to be coop but I too love single player games, I'm not asking for the witcher wildhunt coop just a new witcher3 with coop playable.Its hard to make but it's not impossible.Sorry if I wasted your time and sorry for my bad English :)

Top Bottom