Story Development Ideas... Brainstorming Together!

+
Things I would love to see in the game are more emotional anchors for V.

Thing for us players to aim for, like new apartment, new relationships, customization of clothing, weapons and vehicles.

Yeah yeah...V is dying...no time for bling or relationship...blabla...in the end it's still a game and after you got every ending, I would like to explore the merc life and Night City some more.

Personally I would enjoy it more when cool apartments, cars etc. are tied to a cool quest line.

Like helping out one client and in the end they have to leave NC but you get to use their old apartment, similar to Judy, but an actual apartment that will be yours and from a NPC with less bounds, so you can make it truly yours.

It would be cool if you could put up some posters.

Buy a guitar yourself.

Having a crafting bench.

Even get some recognition and gigs that involves crafting or hacking when you reach a high skill level.
This would represent that people acknowledge your expertise and seek your help. But make the quests cool and not just simply craft x amount of item z.

Either let us craft something legendary for the client or even involves first acquiring the blueprints. (Thievery, Break and entry, hacking, buying) and then craft it for the client. But only cool stuff we could also use. So no one offs!

It would be cool to get some gigs at the afterlife with a crew. You fill in a role and the other tag along and you can go on a bigger raid style mission. Honestly this is also way to implement multiplayer if you really have to. That the afterlife becomes a hub for you and your friends to meet and go on missions together. But knowing that there are no 3th person models yet, there will probably be no multiplayer anytime soon.

I want something to achieve with pachinko. Hell, even the first Pokemon Red and Blue, had some gambling and you could win a Porygon.

I want our actions to have consequences.

If we do jobs for the NCPD, that we would gather favours.
Same for all the gangs.

This could unlock some alternative items and gear, similar to Wakako's Tiger Claw Smartlink-Tattoo.(please let us have upgrade versions.)

I want repeatable back alley boxing and car races.

Let us buy or at least order things online. Or let us go to a vendor and ask them to order a specific item/clothing, I would even do missions to cloth my V in the style I enjoyed, rather than roll the dice and hope to find something matching.

And let me upgrade my gear. All my gear to legendary.

I hate to discard cool looking gear, just because it doesn't have the right amount of slots or armor stat.

This is where the consequences of your decisions should come in. We don't need any checkboxes, just some specific choices that would lead to that extended relationship. If you fail to pick the right ones, that's it. You won't be going any forward, just like you can cut the entirety of Judy's romance by picking one wrong answer, for example. Then this leads to a non forced questline or something like that, based on what you chose.

What I meant by "check box" was consent. I see what you mean by the choices would drive the consequences BUT, I think there is a moment in there where it probably should be OVERTLY obvious for the players who want nothing to do with that sort of thing. Who am I referring to? They will be along shortly to express how this isn't a dating sim or how if you want to experience a relationship you should go out more...they may well have already climbed out from under the bridge but I missed it. I've learned to ignore them pretty well over the years.

Things I would love to see in the game are more emotional anchors for V...

It all makes sense. A lot was said about the need for more dramatic, emotional and meaningful narrative, as well as more substantial consequences for actions.

Reputation building with NPCD, corps and street gangs, as well as a gradual change in a way we are being approached by other NPC's, depending on level of our reputation. Creation of V's own gang - not to mention Family. Taking over corporations and fight with other corporations. Getting a bounty on V's head. To have angry and vengeful criminals that V spared previously, or who simply ran away, trying to kill him - if happens during day, NCPD might think it is you causing the trouble and punish you for it.

As far as everything else you said: yes, yes and yes! The more variety, the better!

If only we could take some of the burden off developers shoulders. Everything we are asking for, cumulatively, is just too much for one company to do - even in one year.
Post automatically merged:

What I meant by "check box" was consent. I see what you mean by the choices would drive the consequences BUT, I think there is a moment in there where it probably should be OVERTLY obvious for the players who want nothing to do with that sort of thing. Who am I referring to? They will be along shortly to express how this isn't a dating sim or how if you want to experience a relationship you should go out more...they may well have already climbed out from under the bridge but I missed it. I've learned to ignore them pretty well over the years.

Remember how easy Bioware resolved this issue? We chose if we want more narrative or not, right after choosing difficulty of the game, before the game even started. In this case it might be a choice between having more romantic content, or less. Also, it would be nice if there was a choice to give a short answer on about two occasions, for NPC to drop the idea to romance you.

I noticed that the Hemingways play a good part in the story and credits. Key West, Florida would be cool to explore as a map. It has lots of shops, bars and interesting places to visit, Fantasy Fest, a lot of skin and stories galore.

One story speaks of a ghost that lives in the street cams and writes poetry and makes art of what it sees while they are watching the crowds. One ghost catches people waving and makes a piece of art of it. It'd be pretty cool to make use of the cams to try catching waves or gestures and use photomode that way. Maybe a trophy, "Catch over 100 waves with a livefeed street cam"

There's a creepy doll there named Robert, maybe you have to track down this cyborg doll that has cyberpsychosis? lol. There are all kinds of other stories the game can use to build onto or new stories can be written.

(edits: felt a little rambly to me. So I just simplified my thoughts, still enjoy my word salad if you can. :coolstory:)

Expanding on some of the ideas here. I think the "Radiant AI" system from Fallout 4 (hopefully not controversial to mention) would be a good starting point. Obviously, it would have to be a bit more tailored, play to the strengths of CDPR, etc, etc. But using that as a base, you could then have the Fixers or other mission givers slot into that. Like you're walking down the street and then you see some crazy shit start to happen and then Wako or whoever calls you to get on it. Better yet you just take care of it and a fixer, NetWatch, The Mox, the NCPD, or someone else rewards you. It would be like an addendum to missions they've already given us in that flavor. All player optional of course, but just adds to the world. Expanding on the shards we collect.

Narratively I would want to see how V gets to the Crystal Palace (which we hear about the whole game) outside of one particular ending. The possible involvement of StormTech. The back story of the Bakkers, the Aldecaldos, and the other Nomad clan disputes. Other Corpo Entities in general having more of a presence. Also the implications of the feud with the Texas Republic and the mysterious tech they have. The weirdness happening at/with the Orbital Stations. The oddities in Europe and the Korean Peninsula. The conflict brewing in the NUSA amongst the southern states and the NUSA GOV'T proper, not just the Corpo proxy conflicts. All great ins for the future of the narrative.

Additionally, in terms of adding to the current Paramore/Friendship system. I think general stuff like more texts, cute small side missions. They could react to things you've done in the game. Like we've seen with Judy where she asks you about a certain mission involving Goro. Perhaps maybe clubbing or grabbing food and talking about stuff. Even just choosing a date/event and seeing/interacting with a montage of what V and Judy(or any romantic partner) would be possibly doing. In Valhalla, certain romances allow you to go shoot arrows, racehorses or outdrink each other. Something like that would be pretty cool, and you could earn xp. Then after the love mission, it ends with a nice cute kiss but because it's Assassin's Creed, it can also just cut to black as you go to bed with your partner. So something like that would be cool to add Cyberpunk.

(A stray thought I also had was adding a photo studio, not unlike the one in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Have it be under the guise of new BD tech or something. Yes there is a photo mode, everyone saw the trailer, we've all been taking sweet shots. But, I was just thinking it would be fun to pose with your favorite characters easier, getting action shots with your V, like doing dumb shit with Johnny and Jackie. Doing cute shit with the character you romanced, etc. Maybe I'm alone in this but I think it would breathe more life into the long run of the game on the whole. Outfits, props, and add player incentives, stuff like that I think people would like, I don't see a reason not to possibly add something like that. Probably a lot of dev time is all.)

Last edited:
I noticed that the Hemingways play a good part in the story and credits. Key West, Florida would be cool to explore as a map. It has lots of shops, bars and interesting places to visit, Fantasy Fest, a lot of skin and stories galore.

One story speaks of a ghost that lives in the street cams and writes poetry and makes art of what it sees while they are watching the crowds. One ghost catches people waving and makes a piece of art of it. It'd be pretty cool to make use of the cams to try catching waves or gestures and use photomode that way. Maybe a trophy, "Catch over 100 waves with a livefeed street cam"

There's a creepy doll there named Robert, maybe you have to track down this cyborg doll that has cyberpsychosis? lol. There are all kinds of other stories the game can use to build onto or new stories can be written.

Really cool ideas! Cyberpsycho Chuky! ))

5. These features you suggest here are victims of gutted content and if they weren't they would easily be implemented to accommodate our relationship partner. Pretty much everyone that went past the point of saying what was missing has suggested to have some way to go on a date and interact with them in a setting of our choosing. And while I personally would like these events to be more scripted with our input only being in our responses and dialogue options I can see value in unscripted forms of showing affection. I made suggestions to it in my own post on this topic.

Before I start, I know that you have spoken on this subject before. In a way that captures the thoughts and feelings for a lot of people on this forum in an articulate way. I really appreciate that since it creates a grounded, tempered post people can point to if and when the devs are lurking around for future suggestions.

On the subject of 5, I find features like these shallow unless they are baked into the narrative, and drive some kind of plot or character development forward. For the most part, a lot of this does happen which lends itself to building up really strong characters with their own interests and agency. In time, I hope advancements in machine learning can start to make their way into games, where procedural content is generated that is both contextual to the character's personal whims, and the nature of the setting. Hopefully in this lifetime.

At the same time, I also understand the ennui that stems from people reaching the logical conclusion of these narratives. It shatters the illusion that was being built up during the ride - an actual character with a level of relatability and likeability that is rarely found in games...reduced to three repeated message options both in-person and on the phone.

One of the things that really helped build these characters was the interactions 'off-screen'. Text messages. Simple. Effective. An in-universe mode of communication that is used ubiquitously. It is, however, completely under-utilized. The potential of this feature is that you can, in a cost-effective way, weave side-characters into the story's threads as you progress. You don't need added VO work. You just need to keep them engaged with V's progress in the story in a manner that doesn't make them seem overly omniscient of everything that happens.

Before I start, I know that you have spoken on this subject before. In a way that captures the thoughts and feelings for a lot of people on this forum in an articulate way. I really appreciate that since it creates a grounded, tempered post people can point to if and when the devs are lurking around for future suggestions.

On the subject of 5, I find features like these shallow unless they are baked into the narrative, and drive some kind of plot or character development forward. For the most part, a lot of this does happen which lends itself to building up really strong characters with their own interests and agency. In time, I hope advancements in machine learning can start to make their way into games, where procedural content is generated that is both contextual to the character's personal whims, and the nature of the setting. Hopefully in this lifetime.

At the same time, I also understand the ennui that stems from people reaching the logical conclusion of these narratives. It shatters the illusion that was being built up during the ride - an actual character with a level of relatability and likeability that is rarely found in games...reduced to three repeated message options both in-person and on the phone.

One of the things that really helped build these characters was the interactions 'off-screen'. Text messages. Simple. Effective. An in-universe mode of communication that is used ubiquitously. It is, however, completely under-utilized. The potential of this feature is that you can, in a cost-effective way, weave side-characters into the story's threads as you progress. You don't need added VO work. You just need to keep them engaged with V's progress in the story in a manner that doesn't make them seem overly omniscient of everything that happens.
I completely agree with you that these features can be generic and ultimately would become a point of critique for some. People ask for it based on perceived lack of it, but when they note the repetitive nature of it feel again need to address it. Even tho that repetitiveness would be self imposed in that case, since it is players choice to initiate it at will. So the actual concern is that the player would opt to spam the magic out of the moment by repeating it until they find it to be unfulfilling again. Following that, we should be careful with what we wish for and try define where the real value is in our relationship to the character. I still however think that people do have in mind that even if these interactions can be initiated on our part they would still be followed by dialogue and a certain amount of depth, though they would have to be ideally regulated with some timed restrictions, but ofc we can ask for a more refined and better experience from this still.

It is why I follow the idea you laid out here as well in my responses, these events should be tied to character development and follow their personal narrative in relation to us, while we on our hand get to influence it with dialogue choices, because we are part of their life now too. Naturally we wish to see our impact on it. Simply put, I would rather the character invites me to a date tru a message or a call, on their terms, at the time they choose in game. And maybe let me pick if it is a bar, or a restaurant or whatnot, then they pick one of the ones on map and shape the event how they see fit, with appropriate dialogue and character development befitting their personality.

What we are essentially trying to do here is find ideas that would move these characters out of the realm of a generic NPC or at least try spare them the fate of becoming more of one. Since they are so well defined and relatable in dialogue we want to give them more agency and let them drive the narrative with us not just be the bystander in it.

On the point of text messages its a very clear cut deal, totally underused, and it is so easy to implement and logical for a couple to exchange many messages. Again, if events follow from them or things get unlocked or build up, perfect! This is also one thing we will likely see more of sooner than anything regarding romances.

Last edited:
Creepy! ))
Yeh, the bug man didn't like them, and a few guests wouldn't sleep in the same room with them. People would drive by and take pictures of it.

But yeh, there's all kind of stories. It does seem like the developers payed tribute to quite a few movies, so Chucky or Robert or whoever fits right in the pocket.

Yeh, the bug man didn't like them, and a few guests wouldn't sleep in the same room with them. People would drive by and take pictures of it.

But yeh, there's all kind of stories. It does seem like the developers payed tribute to quite a few movies, so Chucky or Robert or whoever fits right in the pocket.

I see you like making little social experiments and prancing, and see what will happen! ))

I am not familiar with Robert character. Where is he from?

Once again, great idea on ghost stories! I was also suggesting to expand some city legends: from rogue AI puppeteer to an entity that lurks in the shadows of night streets and eliminates anyone at random in a gruesome and grotesque way - perhaps an everchanging shapeshifting something (so that we can never figure out its size and shape), or some anthropomorphic apex predator (along the lines of "Split Second" movie monster) that is stealthy and as quick as the wind! Not every legend needs to be realized, but might just connect some dots in narrative and expand the world through imagination of the player, by means of giving hope for a possible unusual encounter.

While you were playing, was there something that was missing for you in the plot? In overall feel of the story? It would be great to hear your opinion!

Aliquant and to the point. Great reply!

Cost effective solutions to a broader and more life-like world and narrative is a great and probably never-ending subject! I agree with you, the text-messaging system, even: info-graphics, reflections of the NEWS and surrounding NPC's on your progress... and much more, could massively broaden and enrich entire game. More urban legends - some of which might actually be real events that we can look up and participate in, and others just to give us hope for more hidden content and reasons to stop once in a while, look around and try to find our own adventure.

It would be great if NPC's were more active during our missions via text and vocal messages... live interactions, which would warn us of consequences and/or will show that someone is worried if we will come out of it alive. There is some sense of urgency in the game, at times, but no sense of value to our life and actions, to lives of others.. Reflections on our actions from other NPC's might eliminate the issue entirely, as you say: "..in a cost effective way".

Imagine if you would hear behind your back: "Tss... you see that guy? I heard he..." If encounters with random mercenaries in "Afterlife" and other places were unpredictable: some one is either inspired by your professionalism, or frightened by you, or will try to kill you this very instance. If professional respect towards you was felt through the way you are being approached.

Vengeful mercs that survived previous encounters with you and now hunting you in broad day light, and bounty system with overpowered agents hunting you down, will of course add substance to the threats you receive from other NPC's.
----------------------------------------------
Our invested time into romance is just a painful subject all around.

Writers created very believable personalities (their vivid psyche types match their behavior patterns) to bring to life beautifully sculptured and drawn models, and captivating story. But, over a hundred hours into the game, you find out that your devotion to a character will not pay off, no matter how many times you saved her life, helped her and taught her to be braver and more mature.. while her psyche type clearly needs direction and fatherly figure. She will just say: "Ow, you fell unconscious? Take a nap and I will make you breakfast in the morning.". Then, after second blackout: "Ow, by the way, I am leaving the town." And, finally, later in a text message: "I know you will be fine! I will come back and you will tell me all about it and I will not believe any of it! Ha-ha!"... She is a netrunner (understands tech influence on a human mind better than most) and supposedly a very devoted friend! No, not a single worry, no suggestion to help, no actions to prevent V from dying... not a single thing in return for all the kindness we showed to her. Lost opportunity.

I have in my mind a narrative segment that could have happened at some point in the story and would be a great dramatic episode in best traditions of noir detective story and cyberpunk as literary genre. It would definitely expand our understanding of the connection between V and Johnny, make it even more personal and dramatic; also, it would make ANY romantic companion show his/her devotion and sympathy towards us.. I like this idea, friends loved it too. But, we can only dream.. :)

I completely agree with you that these features can be generic and ultimately would become a point of critique for some. People ask for it based on perceived lack of it, but when they note the repetitive nature of it feel again need to address it. Even tho that repetitiveness would be self imposed in that case, since it is players choice to initiate it at will. So the actual concern is that the player would opt to spam the magic out of the moment by repeating it until they find it to be unfulfilling again. Following that, we should be careful with what we wish for and try define where the real value is in our relationship to the character. I still however think that people do have in mind that even if these interactions can be initiated on our part they would still be followed by dialogue and a certain amount of depth, though if they would have to be ideally regulated with some timed restrictions, but ofc we can ask for a more refined and better experience from this still.

It is why I follow the idea you laid out here as well in my responses, these events should be tied to character development and follow their personal narrative in relation to us, while we on our hand get to influence it with dialogue choices, because we are part of their life now too. Naturally we wish to see our impact on it. Simply put, I would rather the character invites me to a date tru a message or a call, on their terms, at the time they choose in game. And maybe let me pick if it is a bar, or a restaurant or whatnot, then they pick one of the ones on map and shape the event how they see fit, with appropriate dialogue and character development befitting their personality.

What we are essentially trying to do here is find ideas that would move these characters out of the realm of a generic NPC or at least try spare them the fate of becoming more of one. Since they are so well defined and relatable in dialogue we want to give them more agency and let them drive the narrative with us not just be the bystander in it.

On the point of text messages its a very clear cut deal, totally underused, and it is so easy to implement and logical for a couple to exchange many messages. Again, if events follow from them or things get unlocked or build up, perfect! This is also one thing we will likely see more of sooner than anything regarding romances.

Let us hope CDProject will not just bring in new characters, but also add onto the old ones. They already developed such strong fundament, why not build something grandiose on top of it? So far, it is all suspended in the air and V is on his own. In case of my V, there is no place to call home, no real motivation.. empty shell with such wonderful potential.

Last edited:
I see you like making little social experiments and prancing, and see what will happen! ))

I am not familiar with Robert character. Where is he from?

Once again, great idea on ghost stories! I was also suggesting to expand some city legends: from rogue AI puppeteer to an entity that lurks in the shadows of night streets and eliminates anyone at random in a gruesome and grotesque way - perhaps an everchanging shapeshifting something (so that we can never figure out its size and shape), or some anthropomorphic apex predator (along the lines of "Split Second" movie monster) that is stealthy and as quick as the wind! Not every legend needs to be realized, but might just connect some dots in narrative and expand the world through imagination of the player, by means of giving hope for a possible unusual encounter.

While you were playing, was there something that was missing for you in the plot? In overall feel of the story? It would be great to hear your opinion!

Or the smoke monster from lost or something.

Plotwise--I feel trapped in a world I can't positively influence in a way that shows. I really wanted to reach out ingame and do something that would make the ingame world a better place. Like cleaning up all that trash, and building a water treatment facility and stocking fish, and building a farm to grow real food and start cleaning up the soil, things like that, but it was a nogo endgame.

The throughlines were ok, but when I answered one thing and it was worded differently with the voiceover it was kind of odd. Some of the things said to Jackie on the most important day of his life weren't meant to be smart alec, but they came out that way to him. Things like that, kind of made it feel off. Other than that, I got it for the most part.

Plotwise--I feel trapped in a world I can't positively influence in a way that shows...

A lot can happen during voiceover recording. With each take, actor some times changes not only pronunciation, but also the way phrase is written: simply because actor feels that the way script-writer wrote it is not organic enough with what is going on in the scene. Since they record for hours and hours straight, for days and weeks - the work load is colossal - they might forget to make a note about a change they made. So, some times, what is written does not match the voiceover presentation.

"I feel trapped in a world I can't positively influence in a way that shows." - it is the rule of this genre of literature! You suppose to feel helpless, spit-onto, meaningless and oppressed. It is the way you feel, when Office K (the main character) in "Blade Runner 2049" takes verbal test (the emotional baseline test), before he is allowed to see his boss:

"A blood black nothingness began to spin.
Began to spin.
Let's move on to system. System.
Feel that in your body. The system.
What does it feel like to be part of the system. System..."

Or, in the original Blade Runner, when Deckard says: "Replicant is like any other machine: it's either benefit or problem." To put it simply, it is the world of corporate fascism. So, feeling helpless and insignificant is the norm of life there. Enjoy! ))

Last edited:
Can we actually join and/or have some faction-specific questlines outside of the main story for future content? It's almost criminal - pun not intended - to me that they promoted these different groups early on as being so significant and yet gave us virtually nothing to do with them outside of shooting them up or helping fixers. I mean, I'd totally love being able to do something other than NCPD encounters. Hell, even maybe join Militech and do raids on contentious areas.

A lot can happen during voiceover recording. With each take, actor some times changes not only pronunciation, but also the way phrase is written: simply because actor feels that the way script-writer wrote it is not organic enough with what is going on in the scene. Since they record for hours and hours straight, for days and weeks - the work load is colossal - they might forget to make a note about a change they made. So, some times, what is written does not match the voiceover presentation.

"I feel trapped in a world I can't positively influence in a way that shows." - it is the rule of this genre of literature! You suppose to feel helpless, spit-onto, meaningless and oppressed. It is the way you feel, when Office K (the main character) in "Blade Runner 2049" takes verbal test (the emotional baseline test), before he is allowed to see his boss:

Continue later...
Yeh, I get that. And I'm trying to find other games to do those types of things I like to do. It'd be nice in these times to find a beautiful orchid in a dark world though, and to have a lot of things I want to do in one place. On the surface it looks like Cyberpunk 2077 can handle that, the atmosphere is suitable. I dunno, I wish I could build my own game I guess.

Don't want to piss on the BBQ but don't we need to fix the ending situation before we expand on V's story?
Find a doctor, experimental regeneration treatment, find another doctor, experimental treatment to regain memories.. Boom.

If General Hospital can do this same storyline going on like 10 years now, there's no reason V can't be saved in 2077.

They could even have V collect Johnny's DNA, get a clone created, then replace the clone brain with the construct and now Johnny is back in his own body. Why not?

Find a doctor, experimental regeneration treatment, find another doctor, experimental treatment to regain memories.. Boom.

If General Hospital can do this same storyline going on like 10 years now, there's no reason V can't be saved in 2077.

They could even have V collect Johnny's DNA, get a clone created, then replace the clone brain with the construct and now Johnny is back in his own body. Why not?
Hey. Several people here (including myself) say exactly this.

Gene therapy is common in the world of cyberpunk but the writers simply ignored that.

Can we actually join and/or have some faction-specific questlines outside of the main story for future content? It's almost criminal - pun not intended - to me that they promoted these different groups early on as being so significant and yet gave us virtually nothing to do with them outside of shooting them up or helping fixers. I mean, I'd totally love being able to do something other than NCPD encounters. Hell, even maybe join Militech and do raids on contentious areas.

If CDProject Red was trying to accomplish EVERYTHING by release date, we would not see the game for another year or two. They will most likely do more faction-related content. At least, one way or another, that is what most people are asking for - more interaction with different groups and individual NPC's; bounty system; vengeance system; and so on. We just need to be patient! ;-)

Yeh, I get that. And I'm trying to find other games to do those types of things I like to do. It'd be nice in these times to find a beautiful orchid in a dark world though, and to have a lot of things I want to do in one place. On the surface it looks like Cyberpunk 2077 can handle that, the atmosphere is suitable. I dunno, I wish I could build my own game I guess.

Give this game two years and it just might get where you want it to be right now. ;-)

If you like futuristic setting more than medieval, then the closest game with similar quality of presentation - although old dated in graphics department - is really only one out there - "Mass Effect" series. There are no factions, but plenty of choices and consequences; a big world to explore; very emotional and dramatic narrative. It might make you feel very emotional at times - even if you are a macho made of steal ))

I can name one more game that might make you really care for and love your characters. But that is a story for another conversation. ;-)

Interesting idea!

Hey. Several people here (including myself) say exactly this.

Gene therapy is common in the world of cyberpunk but the writers simply ignored that.

Yes, yes and... yes! Keeping fingers crossed and waiting for more mature drama and futuristic predictions of human cultural and technological evolution!

Last edited:
Top Bottom