Story Development Ideas... Brainstorming Together!

+
1) It would be great if depending on circumstances, some enemies that flee from battle or get incapacitated would get vengeful and try to assassin you in any place at any time - even during day and surrounded by crowd (try to defend yourself without hurting civilians).

2) Remember Judy humming the song under water? Also, the psycho that killed the mayor was also singing a song. What if there was someone sending subliminal coding (for example: by means of a melody) to targets via net, substituting some of their memories and subverting their will, turning them into criminals. The victim does not know that the reason for new scary media headlines and possibly new psycho-pandemic is actually her/him. We love Judy. Imagine how thrilling and heartbreaking would it be to go through this rollercoaster with her, get suspicious of her and hopefully save her from a possible real death! Did she really set on fire public property and harm someone, or was it some other "Manchurian candidate"? With her kind nature, it will be a thrill to help her to get to the bottom of it!

3) Judy... Marriage between this character's visual design, voice acting and created personality is just so realistic that it will be a shame not to push it to the limits. She is brave but impulsive; clear Artemis archetype; a kind-hearted person. There are plenty of mean individuals that would love to take advantage of that! She is very believable, charismatic and life-like! So, let's get her in "at the edge of a blade" action, serious, thrilling, heartbreaking and with a very high possibility to loose her forever! This might just turn the wonderful character we love, into one of the most iconic and beloved characters in gaming industry! More mature social drama, more thrill, more true empathy! This is an adult game after all. So, let's save our beloved damsel in destress from some real dangers and build up a relationship with her more intensely!

4) It would make sense if inflaming and electrocuting Quick Hacks would partially ricochet from enemies to nearby inflammable objects and ignite or explode them. Plus, adding a spreading fire effect would be incredible!

Last edited:

Icinix

Forum veteran
All of these are fantastic.

That first one really would go a long way to feeling like we're a merc finding our way in Night City, especially if there were actual faction relationships.

..and I'm fine with pretty much anything Judy, because, well - like you said - it's Judy - one of the best characters I can recall in a game.

All of these are....

Icinix, glad at least two of us are on the same page! ;-)
Post automatically merged:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5) (SPOILER!!!) Romantic and thrilling dates! It would be great to invite the romantic partner of your choice to "the concert", or to any other event of your choice - depending on what your partner might like. There are some dance floors, bars... at least one drive-in theater. To get to know each other and actually bond. We sort of do that with Jackie, which is why we care for him! Why not do the same with the target of our affection?

Big issue: After the last mission with Judy, you might call her and she will tell you that there has been a shootout in Japanese district. She will ask you if you had anything to do with that in a way that makes it clear, she already know the answer to the question. The fact that she brings this up after knowing you for quite some time, shows that she never got a chance to know you as a person that you just a mercenary, a cold blooded killer to her. She makes other comments throughout the story, which point to this conclusion as well. That shows that there is simply no bond between them! What true romance and caring relationship can we expect from it? Why would we be moved by the events between them?

6) Affection level might be implied as well! If we could only feel in conversations - during and outside of missions; on the phone and in person - that we are getting closer to the person's heart. The more you do things together and the more you talk, the closer you get to each other!

7) So far we only receive opportunities from our romantic partners. How about we have a choice to invite them to missions with us - almost any missions! That would actually bond us with them! It would be great if we could have some conversations during missions to learn more about them and teach them about us; also to teach the player about our protagonist: the past and current dilemmas that are boggling her/him. Once again, we are already doing something like this with our buddy Jackie, which is why we learn to care for him! Let's do the same for our romantic partner!

8) Recollection of passed events!!! Almost every game on the planed is flawed in this sense!!! Let our romantic interest and other individuals call us or tell us in person, or brag to others in front of us, about how awesome was this or that; that our character did something good or bad - criticism and response to it will only add dimension to the characters! It would also be great if we could hear our character talking to her-/himself and pondering on some ideas: in a thought provoking or even tragic/worrying manner (building up tension for future missions and events that most likely, but not certainly, will happen), or in a humorous way. Imagine: you and V are in the battle - guns blazing - and V is thinking to him-/herself if last date went well, or what would be cool to do together next time; will the partner get scared or not... Then Johnny says: "Pardon for being insensitive to your personal life, but could we just focus on our survival... for now?"

Something tells me, these additions just might lift the story immersion aspect much much higher!

What are your suggestions and constructive ideas?

Last edited:
Since you pointed me here, and thank you for it, please don't mind me jumping in on the discussion of each of the points.
Thank you for taking so much time to share your ideas!

1. Something like this first point was expected, people were hoping that they would be targeted by some serious npcs and hunted in a way. As your fame grows in night city it stands to reason that so would the mark on your head. But as we haven't gotten any bounty system ourselves to chase after marks seems our enemies didn't either. This I think is a missing feature and will likely see light of day in some way in future.

2. This idea seems very ambitious, and while I like that you included Judy, that is a smart plot device for the player, this idea is a bit larger than her alone. And in some way was partly implemented in the Peralez side quest where the couple was subject to brain altering tech that would delete their memories and substitute them with new ones. I assume you see the potential in the dramatic aspect that would include Judy since no one could ever see her do anything mean to anyone. Your idea we will see expanded probably soon since we didn't get closure on who was targeting the mayoral candidate Peralez and his wife.
Am with you in including Judy as a plot device, to me it seemed natural that the tyger claws would retaliate against her going forward. I had the idea that someone would simply target you by targeting her and kidnapping her. There is many things they can do when they know she is a big investment for you in NC, or Panam for that reason same for Kerry/River ofc. These relationships hold much power over our motivations.

3. While I would love to see so much love and focus on Judy, we have to remember that there is 3 other romance characters that would demand equal or similar extend of treatment. I believe like you that stories driven by the characters we love will always be more impactful than hollow ones that involve some random fixers client something something. I definitely agree there could be more action and harsh decision making, if it were up to me I would put you in a spot where you even have to give up all your gear and never get it back to save or protect this character you care for. That way you would truly feel loss and reward. Not only would it make for a great story but it would impact you personally lot more and you would not forget it for long after you stop playing one day.

4. This is a logical gameplay idea you should put forward when suggesting features, while its a good idea, maybe best save it for a list that doesn't deal with story as this one seems to have so far. Organize your focus so your message strikes more precisely the parts you wish to improve.

5. These features you suggest here are victims of gutted content and if they weren't they would easily be implemented to accommodate our relationship partner. Pretty much everyone that went past the point of saying what was missing has suggested to have some way to go on a date and interact with them in a setting of our choosing. And while I personally would like these events to be more scripted with our input only being in our responses and dialogue options I can see value in unscripted forms of showing affection. I made suggestions to it in my own post on this topic.
I want these dates and intimate events to be initiated by the character we are romancing and spread across the reminder of the missions we have left to complete everything. This way we have always more to look forward to.

6. While just giving the character more time after the relationship officially starts you would inevitably grow closer to them and learn more about them. Any quest and event you choose to participate with them would work towards that. And your selection in dialogue and choices of it would have you guess where you stand with them based on their responses. We basically don't want to have it easy we want to work for that person to get more intimate with us. However I might have misunderstood this point, are you maybe talking about an RPG style feature/meter that would show our progress with them in that regard?

7. This is a must, so many people asked for it, its very much possible to be implemented since as you said there are already examples of it with Jackie and others. In combat it wouldn't be an issue already. For the whole feature to expand to our simple side gigs and random quests, as well as just them driving with you in a car and chat. That would be truly amazing. Fingers crossed it happens.

8. I think here you refer to the fact that in other games NPCs rarely acknowledge the things you have been tru so all you did sort of is left to be part of only your own story and it ends up feeling lonely. I would love for that trend to break especially if you are in a romance setting with your lover that would reasonably be interested in anything you do. These recollections have many subtile was of happening too. For example Judy is shy about expressing her feelings directly, but she loves to draw. Imagine finding her skech book that revolves around you and her, some notes and drawing reminiscing bout what you have been tru. It would fit very well with her character and still give very deep insight into her mind.
This does sound like a cherry on top kind of deal far down the line when things are polished but yes it all could be really immersive if it happens.

Ty for the posts! Be well!

Wow, all these are really great! I think Trinixy has pretty much said everything I would have (great minds I guess). All I would add is on #5

And this is basically what everyone has said already but, I don't think their should be an END of the courtship. YES, it would require doubling the attention each of the 'interests' has as of now BUT, the other half of this would be series of meetings and rendezvous to illicit an emotional response and deepen the connection with the character in question.

It could be as simple as "meet me at Tom's Diner" or later on, "Lets hookup at Afterlife..." A message saying call me and then they would just say "thinking about you, miss you or something like that along with a few simple lines of dialogue keyed on what you are currently doing in the game, kinda like what Judy does when you go to the apartment.

There could be maybe 3 dates events, 3-5 different phone conversations, text msgs could be used a lot too. A couple new minor side quests could be introduced to have them help you and/or help them with something else.

My super big request would be, (is this #9?) cross connections with the other NPCs in the story. If I am helping Panam and I'm just buds with Judy, it'd be neat to hangout together...NOT the Triss/Yen thing...just a BFF hanging out with you and your best bud/babe. Maybe even have one of them help with a quest FOR one of the others.

This next idea is an expounding of the idea also already on here, the other important people in your life during the game should be AWARE or each other and ask the player about them. Ideally they could also interact with one another independently of the player or their decision. For instance, if you don't answer Panam's texts and don't call her back (in a timely manner) she might actually come looking for you or at the very least she would contact Judy/River (or whoever) to try and findout if you are ok. Panam seems a little 'velcro' to me so, this fits her in my mind. As for Judy, I think she would be more passive aggressive in this...

But these are just a few of my thoughts...I look forward to reading more!

9) Sex-based Romances = no freedom of choice. After over hundred hours, we already made our pick, adding new romantic interests will not take away the disappointment and bitter aftertaste. Please make an option to unblock this undeserved punishment for those who supported you in development. I still have the final mission to finish and plenty of side missions, but I lost my interest in going through with them. Romantic interest and dangers related to it are the biggest motivators to push us forward through the story and you just took it away.

If player is unaware of this locked system and with it of the absence of freedom, than he/she will be building their character the way they feel right; investing real-life time, efforts; not getting enough real-life rest in order to finish missions in the best way possible; not to mention they paid the same amount for the game and have a full right to enjoy it just as much as everyone else. And what do they find our closer to the end of the game - a very unpleasant surprise with a bitter aftertaste! Their character has an "empty home": rejected by his loved one, best friend died, Johnny quite possibly also gone... So, no home to go to! What did player pay such price for? That is not the dream they were building! Remember Mass Effect saga? They managed to please everyone and not lock anything from anyone. Please, unblock this system and add more bonding opportunities!

Remember "Sense8"? Differences bind us! More all-inclusive, less exclusive! ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since you pointed me here, and thank you for it, please don't mind me jumping in on the discussion of each of the points.
Thank you for taking so much time to share your ideas!

Dear Trinixy, thank you very much for taking interest and time to share your thoughts! I very much appreciate it!

1.) Exactly! Great point! Not just a vengeance, but also a bounty system - like the one in Assassin's Creed Odyssey.

2.) My point EXACTLY! Romantic interest, true fears to loose it, empathy - are the strongest motivators in any story: game, movie, book or any other entertainment. I also thought about kidnapping of Judy. Go along with me for a moment...

Judy does frown upon V's craft and dreams. To her he is a mercenary and cold-blooded killer. But, what if we give her an opportunity to discover his/her world for herself? She will inevitably come to a conclusion that humanity and morals make V special; that stays a good human no matter the situation. Imagine what kind of dramatic dialogues and revelations we would encounter; what philosophical ideas we would dwell into; how many emotions we would feel going through it? That would be amazing!

Tiger Claw would not let it go for sure! Imagine if Judy dies in a very dramatic way and we reanimate her in a similar way as Johnny did with V: keep her body on ice, while some AI protects copy of her psyche; driving through city; fighting for time through hordes of enemies... Aa? )) She or any other love interest would then discover what V is going through - another strong bonding experience!

3.) Brilliant idea! The more we sacrifice, the more we cherish the reward.

4.) I do believe I should write suggestions shorter and to the point. But, so far, wrote developers in full sentences. I already feel it to be a mistake.

5.) Perfect! I would love that too: scripted or other ways; initiated by player or the subject of her/his affection.

6.) No, only context based, no visually displayed level of their affection towards our V. Bioware games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age always had it contextually. I see such approach to be very progressive and immersive. Do you?

7.) Crossing my fingers too! ))

8.) Lovely idea with a sketch book story! This sort of stuff enhances immersion into the story, at times even more so than graphics. How many great games with bad graphics touched our hearts? I could name at least a few: Alan Wake, Fall of Max Payne, Mass Effect saga, etc.

Thank you once again for being a great conversationalist and for sharing your ideas! I very much appreciate it!

Stay well, keep enjoying great entertainment! :)

Last edited:
Hear me out on this: The ability to join the NCPD. Or MaxTec. Or the other services in Night City. I don’t know ex how it could be implemented in the game as-is (I imagine it being that you get a job offer following the Flathead deal at the All Foods plant, it’s completely optional, you can enter the NCPD headquarters outside your apartment at any time afterwards to get inducted into the force or to “negotiate” how you would fit in with being a merc protecting and serving, leading raids on gang holdouts, using BD equipment with Judy to investigate crimes further in exchange for legal protection against potential threats, stopping random crimes as you travel throughout the city (earning considerably more scratch than you would otherwise), garnering respect and maybe even notoriety among the average NC Residents, potentially even investigating and exposing a plot of greed, corruption, and murder involving the corps that fund the police and even Jerry Fawlter himself). That’s just one idea of how I can see it being incorporated into the game (possibly as an expansion).

they should just do what they promised us: make street cred matter. This would help so much with so many side activities. I was really disappointed that when I went to the Afterlife, I always got the same response from all these interesting people: they ignored me. Not matter if I had a street cred of 5 or 50 it didn't make a difference. I cleaned up the complete map and did all the side content and Rogue still sneered at me and told me that I only did one mission and failed at it to boot. Street cred should give your the opportunity to get contacted by different mercs in the Afterlife, because they start taking notice of you, working with them...

And yes of course, longer and deeper romance options.

yota71

Forum regular
I will simply love that after i have killed ton of Arasaka Agent, penetrated their structures, stole their technologies, they will put a bounty on my head, and started hunting me, and I'd have to find out who put this bounty, starting with the smallest fish all the way to the largest, so maybe you could also use the Arasaka tower as a setting

Wow, all these are really great! I think Trinixy has pretty much said everything I would have (great minds I guess). All I would add is on #5
But these are just a few of my thoughts...I look forward to reading more!

Thank you for a wonderful input, Riddlin!

V is not Sheppard and this is no Mass Effect, but somehow Bioware managed to encompass our choices of whom we would like to go in battle with next. So, such system has been done previously. Why not here?

Same thing with dates. Each subject of romantic affection has her/his personality, so to each their own fun. Judy would be wonderful helping us with intel from home, or from a wan outside of the area, where the mission is taking place. She could create distractions, when necessary.

If we can invite them for missions or for random scouting, and if they can invite us on pre-scripted dates, then cumulatively... plus messages and phone calls... it would be enough to create a very immersive relationship! Add to it an idea that V's work might constantly put them at risk... that there might be a great vengeance and bounty system that would allow for humiliated and angered enemies to come back to hunt you or kidnap your loved ones. How much thrill and drama that would add to the story!

Hear me out on this...

Indeed, Space_Case132! Good input!

We already help the NCPD, even though are not enlisted.

It would be great if we could invite our loved one, or another friendly character to a mission with us. Each one of these "helpers" would have their own specialty. For example: Judy would either fight with you, or help you with intel from home or a wan near by, or create distractions once in a while. If you do not wish to take anyone, that should be allowed as well - just like it is now. There simply need to be more choices and more opportunities to interact and bond with other characters!

they should just do what they promised us: make street cred matter....

Absolutely! That would boost immersion and feeling of accomplishment! Let's keep our fingers crossed, as was suggested by Trinixy! ;-)

I will simply love that after i have killed ton of Arasaka Agent, penetrated their structures, stole their technologies, they will put a bounty on my head, and started hunting me, and I'd have to find out who put this bounty, starting with the smallest fish all the way to the largest, so maybe you could also use the Arasaka tower as a setting

That is very clever! I would love that in addition to the basic street bounty and vengeance system! A corporate equivalent! And, perhaps a way for the same vengeful enemy to run away and come back again later with even more power.

Great stuff!

Last edited:
9) Sex-based Romances = no freedom of choice. After over hundred hours, we already made our pick, adding new romantic interests will not take away the disappointment and bitter aftertaste. Please make an option to unblock this undeserved punishment for those who supported you in development. I still have the final mission to finish and plenty of side missions, but I lost my interest in going through with them. Romantic interest and dangers related to it are the biggest motivators to push us forward through the story and you just took it away.

If player is unaware of this locked system and with it of the absence of freedom, than he/she will be building their character the way they feel right; investing real-life time, efforts; not getting enough real-life rest in order to finish missions in the best way possible; not to mention they paid the same amount for the game and have a full right to enjoy it just as much as everyone else. And what do they find our closer to the end of the game - a very unpleasant surprise with a bitter aftertaste! Their character has an "empty home": rejected by his loved one, best friend died, Johnny quite possibly also gone... So, no home to go to! What did player pay such price for? That is not the dream they were building! Remember Mass Effect saga? They managed to please everyone and not lock anything from anyone. Please, unblock this system and add more bonding opportunities!

Remember "Sense8"? Differences bind us! More all-inclusive, less exclusive! ;-)

6.) No, only context based, no visually displayed level of their affection towards our V. Bioware games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age always had it contextually. I see such approach to be very progressive and immersive. Do you?
I would love to give feedback on this 9th point but am afraid due to its wording I can't really pinpoint what it addresses. Please help me understand. You say first: Sex-based Romances = no freedom of choice, this instantly on the surface of it strikes me as the need to remove characters sexual preferences that in that context limits freedom of choice. However after this statement you continue to elaborate on the lack of things to do past the sex scenes with the character. Which leads me to believe that you might be thinking about just the lack of differing payoffs for the time you invest in a relationship. Then again you refer to it as a locked system that might again refer to the point being one of restriction based on sexuality preferences, yet the sentences after could dabble in both due to this dilemma of not really understanding which of these 2 is the focus of your point.

In short, does this point wish to see the sexual preferences removed or does this point wish to see the relationship payoffs expanded to not just be about sex and more on how we proceed with it going forward? If it is the latter, you might wish to maybe word it along the lines of: Sex as the final reward in a relationship = shallow payoff. Please help me understand this better am not sure atm.

6. I agree context based is the way to go, visual meters or such would make it cheap and only appear to show the character as just another npc, a stat to max out and would lose any immersion. There has to be guess work and uncertainty involved tru dialogue as it is often case in real life when you talk to the person you are interested in and hope to give the best response. It can only benefit from such apprach here too.

6. I agree context based is the way to go, visual meters or such would make it cheap and only appear to show the character as just another npc, a stat to max out and would lose any immersion. There has to be guess work and uncertainty involved tru dialogue as it is often case in real life when you talk to the person you are interested in and hope to give the best response. It can only benefit from such apprach here too.

Exactly my point, Trinixy! Thank you once again! :)

Sorry but 1&4 looks like a gameplay expand more than story...
And blinking CDPR is trouble enough to stop hurt civilians...
At story development, I hope they can finish the main story first.
Then they can develop the story whatever they want.
Actually I still trust their writters, they know how to write a good story.

But if I must to talk about the favored leverage of CP2077
That must be the NCPD and Melissa.
Independent, dirty, powerful, and huge conspiracy, best choice for a DLC

I wanted to join one of the corporations or build my own corporation with your own building and take the fight to Arasaka. Hire gangs and mercenaries, start gang wars and do assassinations of rich suits that screwed you over.

...it would be enough to create a very immersive relationship! Add to it an idea that V's work might constantly put them at risk... that there might be a great vengeance and bounty system that would allow for humiliated and angered enemies to come back to hunt you or kidnap your loved ones. How much thrill and drama that would add to the story!

To be clear, I think the player should have to 'check a box' or otherwise agree to take part in an "extended relationship" storyline. It shouldn't be forced on anyone. I know there are those who could care less about this but, for those who appreciate the nuanced stories inside The Matrix, The Expanse, Firefly, hell even The Terminator (or most modern Sci Fi), the love interest angle is added in there to make the story more compelling and give the audience some the sense that something important to the main character could be lost.

That leads me to the part where I agree with you... ;) Being called by Judy, "someone is beating on our door..." that might make for a fun dash across NC!

Last edited:
2) Remember Judy humming the song under water? Also, the psycho that killed the mayor was also singing a song. What if there was someone sending subliminal coding (for example: by means of a melody) to targets via net, substituting some of their memories and subverting their will, turning them into criminals. The victim does not know that the reason for new scary media headlines and possibly new psycho-pandemic is actually her/him. We love Judy. Imagine how thrilling and heartbreaking would it be to go through this rollercoaster with her, get suspicious of her and hopefully save her from a possible real death! Did she really set on fire public property and harm someone, or was it some other "Manchurian candidate"? With her kind nature, it will be a thrill to help her to get to the bottom of it!
I remember when I first heard Judy humming that I was like "wait...where have I heard that before," and now I remember that quest. Makes me wonder why that never went any further? Has anyone been able to identify that song at all because it possible it exists. Kinda like how skippy is humming disturbia.

I remember when I first heard Judy humming that I was like "wait...where have I heard that before," and now I remember that quest. Makes me wonder why that never went any further? Has anyone been able to identify that song at all because it possible it exists. Kinda like how skippy is humming disturbia.

StreetKid V can give the name of that song. But I don't remember it :whistle::sneaky:

But if I must to talk about the favored leverage of CP2077
That must be the NCPD and Melissa.
Independent, dirty, powerful, and huge conspiracy, best choice for a DLC

Great idea! I agree! Also, getting in a real conflict with corps would be a dark turn and quite an interesting one as well. But, only if CDP does it in a realistic fashion: putting all V's loved ones in danger and making V sacrifice for the right causes things that he holds dear. Then we will feel the real thrill of action!

To be clear, I think the player should have to 'check a box' or otherwise agree to take part in an "extended relationship" storyline. It shouldn't be forced on anyone. I know there are those who could care less about this but, for those who appreciate the nuanced stories inside The Matrix, The Expanse, Firefly, hell even The Terminator (or most modern Sci Fi), the love interest angle is added in there to make the story more compelling and give the audience some the sense that something important to the main character could be lost.

That leads me to the part where I agree with you... ;) Being called by Judy, "someone is beating on our door..." that might make for a fun dash across NC!
Indeed! We are on the same track! ;-)

After the underwater dive, V recalls the song and names it. I do not remember though how he named it. I guess, it is popular in NC.

As you understood from my earlier post, just like you, I was surprised why did they not go anywhere with that melody idea. I honestly thought that Judy might be a programmed drone that does something unconsciously like that conspirator that killed mayor. Every cyberpunk universe needs its reclusive maniacal puppeteer and unaware puppets: like in many books and anime like Paprika, Ghost in a Shell, Armitage III, and others. If CDP ever goes this direction, it will be mega cool!!! ;-)

Last edited:
This is where the consequences of your decisions should come in. We don't need any checkboxes, just some specific choices that would lead to that extended relationship. If you fail to pick the right ones, that's it. You won't be going any forward, just like you can cut the entirety of Judy's romance by picking one wrong answer, for example. Then this leads to a non forced questline or something like that, based on what you chose.

Top Bottom