Story + Dialogue

+

Madae

Forum veteran
Story + Dialogue

Just wondering if the game will be written in Polish first and then translated to English (and other languages)? Or will it be in English from the start?

Only reason I mention it is that The Witcher 2 kind of felt "off" to me when I was playing it, which I think has something to do with the language barrier. The one example that really stands out to me is at the very beginning of the game, you're being interviewed by that guy (who you personally don't know yet, but later find out that you work with him). I don't remember what the choices were exactly, but you had two dialogue options; one that was supposedly funny and like "Ok, sure, we can talk", and the other was something like "You're a son of a whore and a traitor" etc etc. What really gets me is that the "friendly" option has Geralt say "fuck you", which literally made me laugh out loud... so, technically, I guess the comment was funny, but it felt like there should have been more depth and meaning to my choice than a simple retort like that, which is what that dialogue choice was basically telling me before I chose it.

This may be a small thing to everyone else, but that kind of thing in an RPG kind of takes away from the experience. A lot of games do it too in their own way, like Mass Effect and Dragon Age presents several different dialogue choices with a basic explanation for what you're trying to say, but ultimately the choice is said differently than what you first saw. There were reasons for that, like not wanting to have choices that you read first and then hear a second later, or not wanting to spoil the actual answer. But, I think there might be some other causes, too...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope this game is written a little better than Witcher 2, because that game really felt stiff to me, and it may not be that the writers are bad, because maybe it sounds just fine in Polish, so I think it probably has more to do with that language barrier and how certain things said in another language come out a lot different in others or just don't sound right.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, I guess my issue is maybe a little hard to explain with so many possible causes for why it was the way it was. And maybe I'm just picky to, cause I'm sure there are people that thought Witcher 2 was fine when it came to story.

Top Bottom