Story,game and books.**(SPOILERS)**

+
Story,game and books.**(SPOILERS)**

Hi all,
I'm on my second playthrough trying to do everything (HOS,all side quests,question marks etc) before the endgame so as not to feel the post game Kaer Morhan chill too much and finish of with BAW immediately afterwards.

As a newb to the franchise I'm totally taken with the story and it's characters and am intrigued by the books but...the authors of my two favorite
series have been severley depressing me lateley with gloomy endings complete with the deaths and estrangements of my favorite characters.

So,for those of you who have read all the books,are they worth it? Does it all end in disaster? Will I be left with that empty Kaer Morhan freeze..if so think i'll give 'em a miss.

Your comments and opinions are sincerely appreciated,especially those who have played the games first and then read the books.

Cheers,

Figulus.

So,for those of you who have read all the books,are they worth it? Does it all end in disaster? Will I be left with that empty Kaer Morhan freeze..if so think i'll give 'em a miss.

It's not a happy ending. SERIOUS SPOILERS FOLLOW
It's somewhat ambiguous, but in my opinion the series ends with Geralt and Yen dead, and Ciri alone (EDIT ... well without her family at least END EDIT) venturing through space and time. Also several other beloved side characters die.
So heads up for that. I absolutely love the books, but they are not happy.

I played TW1 and TW2 before picking up the first book. I read them all before TW3 was released.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it a "happy ending" but it is also not a real Ending. For me personally the ending in "The Lady of the Lake" is more of a Cliffhanger than a real Ending.

Sooo...they are indeed worth it! No doubt about that! You have to read them...but again, expect no Happy Ending!

But BaW is a pretty good ending for TW3 at least, or for the Geralt Saga. So you will be happy with that! :)

Thanks for the quick response...Jeez whats with all these gloomy ending these days..don't know if I can bear it atm..
If I could prevail on you just a little more,If there's seven books and three games how do they equate in terms of coverage,I mean does the first game summarize the first two books,the second game the third an fourth books and so on? Or do the games just pick bits out a little more randomly?
Thanks again,

Figulus.

---------- Updated at 09:22 PM ----------

Thanks for your quick response,not sure if I can take anymore sad endings atm.
Is the author still writing them do you know? Will there be more?

---------- Updated at 09:27 PM ----------

I wouldn't call it a "happy ending" but it is also not a real Ending. For me personally the ending in "The Lady of the Lake" is more of a Cliffhanger than a real Ending.

Sooo...they are indeed worth it! No doubt about that! You have to read them...but again, expect no Happy Ending!

But BaW is a pretty good ending for TW3 at least, or for the Geralt Saga. So you will be happy with that! :)
Thanks..hmm think I might leave it at BAW then..are there more books to come do you know?

Don't let the ending of the books keep you away from reading them!
I was like you I mean I finished TW3 and I was still hungry, hungry for more info about this amazing world setting and characters, I wanted to know what the origin was and what stories inspired this awesome game.

After I read the books, I started a new playthrough and it added so much depth to it for me. I had a better understanding of things and past references that you come across in the game.

And about the ending, I am not gonna spoil anything but I don't view the ending as 'bad'. In my opinion it is maybe bittersweet, but with a nice touch ;).
I sincerely recommend you reading them.

Jeez whats with all these gloomy ending these days
ending is from 1999, so not that much "these days", but Sapkowski was born the same year as R.R. Martin, there must be sth in the air in 1948 :D

,If there's seven books and three games how do they equate in terms of coverage,I mean does the first game summarize the first two books,the second game the third an fourth books and so on? Or do the games just pick bits out a little more randomly?
Games starts after book events and they are not canon to books

ending is from 1999, so not that much "these days", but Sapkowski was born the same year as R.R. Martin, there must be sth in the air in 1948 :D

Games starts after book events and they are not canon to books

Thanks,going back and forth atm.I'll finish second playthrough and have a wee think..If i read them I'll let you know my opinons if you like..won't take me long!

---------- Updated at 09:53 PM ----------

Don't let the ending of the books keep you away from reading them!
I was like you I mean I finished TW3 and I was still hungry, hungry for more info about this amazing world setting and characters, I wanted to know what the origin was and what stories inspired this awesome game.

After I read the books, I started a new playthrough and it added so much depth to it for me. I had a better understanding of things and past references that you come across in the game.

And about the ending, I am not gonna spoil anything but I don't view the ending as 'bad'. In my opinion it is maybe bittersweet, but with a nice touch ;).
I sincerely recommend you reading them.
Thanks,I might...maybe..aw heck probably will..;) finish second playthrough first and may do what you did with the third..play it with the books knowledge behind me.Cheers!

Thanks..hmm think I might leave it at BAW then..are there more books to come do you know?

Sadly no! Well...at least not at the moment! Sapkowski hasn't really said anything about continuing the Novels!

And as @toudis815 already mentioned:

This is the correct timeline:

1, Blood of Elves
2, Time of Contempt
3. Baptism of Fire
4, The Swallows Tower
5, The Lady of the Lake
>>>>5-7 years gap<<<<

The Witcher games start:
1, The Witcher 1
2, The Witcher 2
3, The Witcher 3 (and Hearts of Stone is set during the Main questline)
4, Blood and Wine

;)

Last edited:
Sadly no! Well...at least not at the moment! Sapkowski hasn't really said anything about continuing the Novels!
I've just been told that the books take place before the events of the games,so I'll probably read them and being a quick reader will likely be back in a couple of weeks
to exchange views if you're up for it!

EDIT: Ah,just saw the end of your post! Thanks!

Last edited:
I've just been told that the books take place before the events of the games,so I'll probably read them and being a quick reader will likely be back in a couple of weeks
to exchange views if you're up for it!

EDIT: Ah,just saw the end of your post! Thanks!

As someone who played the games before reading all the books (since they aren't all officially translated into English), I can tell you that finishing the short stories and saga will really add to your experience with the games.

As someone who played the games before reading all the books (since they aren't all officially translated into English), I can tell you that finishing the short stories and saga will really add to your experience with the games.
Ah right,so you'd recommend reading the short stories before the five books?

Ah right,so you'd recommend reading the short stories before the five books?

"The Last Wish" and "Sword of Destiny," both of which are books of short stories, take place before the five novels. They are very good and include a few stories that set up the novels.

There is a newer book, "Sezon Burz" ("Season of Storms"), that was released a few years ago and is also set before the novels, but it's best to read that last, IMO.

Last edited:
"The Last Wish" and "Sword of Destiny," both of which are books of short stories, take place before the five novels. They are very good and include a few stories that set up the novels.

There is a newer book, "Sezon Burz" ("Season of Storms"), that was released a few years ago and is also set before the novels, but it's best to read that last, IMO.
Man that's typical! Ordered them all x-stock apart from the last wish which is out of stock...have to run around town tomorrow..Cheers.;)

Man that's typical! Ordered them all x-stock apart from the last wish which is out of stock...have to run around town tomorrow..Cheers.;)

If you can't find it there are fan translations you can read until you can buy an official copy.

If you can't find it there are fan translations you can read until you can buy an official copy.
Yeah,i've just seen that..nice to have a plan B..pheeuw busy times.So, plan is:- finish playthrough 2 of TW3> Consume books>Replay TW3 (or all 3) with book knowledge..Win/win.:) Cheers!!

Man that's typical! Ordered them all x-stock apart from the last wish which is out of stock...have to run around town tomorrow..Cheers.

You better do, you will lose some fun if you won't start reading from last wish. But it's possible, Sword of Destiny is an absolute must read before novels otherwise you will be lost.

Top Bottom