[STORY SPOILERS] The Gripes and Problems with the Story

+

What options should be explored // should have been explored?

• Total voters
Game: Hurry up, you will die in a couple of weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: exploring the world, oh look, i am close to a box fight let me do this first and maybe the NCPD stuff right next to it and...

Game: BUT... nevermind...

So many oversights and contradicting stuff in the story.
In the bathroom in the motel with dex, you can hear him saying that he will get rid of us and we walk out of the bathroom totally unprepared?
Why does Yorinobu care about us after the Heist that little? We witnessed him murdering his father and he sends assassins only one times?
That assassins that somehow convinced Goro that we are not the murder of Saboru? What?
We are told very early that we will die in a couple of weeks, so no time to waste, right? Full map opens up, with so many stuff to do, fuck.
Waiting 24 hours for a call to move on with a quest? No problem, i am not in hurry.

Our main objective is "survival" and the game doesn't allow us to accomplish that and sends us out into the uncertain future of only 6 month til death.

My short version of the story: Yorinobu fucked up our the heist, a guy that was introduced to us as friend dies, we die from a headshot, the stolen chip in our head reanimates us, same chip will kill us in a couple of weeks and adds a since years dead terrorist into our head, we are in hurry to find cure, we do crazy shit to get the cure, just to learn there, is no cure, we will die after 6 month. Credits...

What's the meaning of all of that? No matter how hard you try, you will die anyways? Great message!

Last edited:
@Eakani Technically it isn't really Yori that makes a mess of our heist but rather the planners who failed to think of any kind of contingencies. That means T-Bug and Dex, essentially. But if you really want to nitpick then it comes down to V and Jackie, because they trusted someone else to do the planning without caring to go over every little detail time and time again, which was all kinds of unprofessional.

So at the end of the day, the Heist was messed up by V themself. And you never get any choice to not bungle it like a goon on drugs. Essentially V watches that first braindance and then replicates it to the letter in a slightly larger scale.

Why couldn't I just play a story that revolved around my character and not Johnny Silverhand. Write a book about him, don't make him the focal point of a game that makes me think I have my own protagonist.

I really like Johnny and enjoyed the banter and so on but the whole game should not revolve around him and especially the rewrites should not have happened. Poor Johhny, such an interesting character but since he has too much impact on woh the last act plays out, people feel cheated and V was fucked over.

Btw I don't think the part so of the story we seem from Johhny's perspective are totally bogus, his memories are simply subjective as all memories are. Doesn't mean the core story isn't correct.

I really like Johnny and enjoyed the banter and so on but the whole game should not revolve around him and especially the rewrites should not have happened. Poor Johhny, such an interesting character but since he has too much impact on woh the last act plays out, people feel cheated and V was fucked over.

Btw I don't think the part so of the story we seem from Johhny's perspective are totally bogus, his memories are simply subjective as all memories are. Doesn't mean the core story isn't correct.

I think the best statement regarding Johnny is Johnny is fine but Johnny needs some more people of Johnny's level to balance him out.

More Alt Cunningham, more Saburo.

He's a big personality so give us equally big personalities to deal with.

I said they should hire David Hayter or Elias Toufexis to be Morgan Blackhand.

actually I felt that V had Johnny under control by the end so Johnny definitely accepted him as his equal. Which makes the insane endings even more infuriating.

In marketing campaign we were promised to hunt the chip giving us _immortality_. In the real game we're actually dying all the time thanks to that chip and no matter what we do we will die at the end thanks to it.

Couldn't agree more! The game doesn't seem to have any fixed rules in its story. The "save your soul" program and the "Soulkiller" are literally opposite concepts.

And yes, looking at the trailers now, they do set up false expectations: becoming an immortal legend is fun. Prolonging blood coughing from 2 weeks to 6 months is not.
Post automatically merged:

This. My thoughts exactly. The whole game feels like a game where JS is the protagonist not me. :p Including the fact, he can win. I cannot.

I also thought that JS was pushed to be a character just as important as V, and my problem with that was that he seemed too superficial to be one. OK, he's irritating, and he blew up some tower for obscure revenge and corp-hating reasons -- but why would V care? The "Why do you hate Arasaka?" answer is literally 1 line in a random dialogue, and it's a very general one (maybe they should have made some flashbacks with farmers being robbed by corps?).

But then I watched the flashbacks once again and I think he might have more depth. If you go to Arasaka 2023 mission, he uploads a "Liberator" virus to Arasaka's network, and Rogue has a jealousy fit saying smth like "I knew the whole thing was planned for your groupie". So, it seems that Alt was only able to cross the Blackwall thanks to Johnny and Spider Murphy. So, to put it short, he's not that much of a dick anymore, but someone who lives with guilt for 10 years for treating her like shit on their last evening together, but then gets a second chance to save her and gives his life for that -- and this sort of makes his character arc stronger.

But, my problem with this is:
  • this is not obvious at all, and there's a 99% chance of missing this on your first playthrough (seriously, it's just in the name of the virus and 1 line from Rogue, when we don't even know what groupie she's talking about. I personally thought the groupies are those "You're wasting your lives following us around like dogs" couple. We don't even know why we're suddenly playing with another character before Vik wakes us up). If this is the part that is supposed to make us feel attached to him rather than irritated by him, it HAS to stand out. Btw, there's just one page which confirms the theory above: most sources say he attacks Arasaka only seeking revenge.
  • there are parts of the script which actually contradict this. By the time you get to the Voodoo Boyz (and don't remember 2023 flashback in detail), Alt actually starts accusing JS of her death, and you have a chance to defend him. As if Alt doesn't remember what was happening between 2013-2023 and 2023-2077 (or maybe the sciptwriters just didn't come to a consensus). She says "she escaped Arasaka", JS is clueless, closer to the end of the game he confirms she contacted him between 2013 and 2023.

And maybe Johnny following Alt into the cyberspace was intended to be a "sweet romantic ending", but it certainly felt more like feeding him to a digital demon :)

Last edited:
Game: Hurry up, you will die in a couple of weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me: exploring the world, oh look, i am close to a box fight let me do this first and maybe the NCPD stuff right next to it and...

Game: BUT... nevermind...

So many oversights and contradicting stuff in the story.
In the bathroom in the motel with dex, you can hear him saying that he will get rid of us and we walk out of the bathroom totally unprepared?
Why does Yorinobu care about us after the Heist that little? We witnessed him murdering his father and he sends assassins only one times?
That assassins that somehow convinced Goro that we are not the murder of Saboru? What?
We are told very early that we will die in a couple of weeks, so no time to waste, right? Full map opens up, with so many stuff to do, fuck.
Waiting 24 hours for a call to move on with a quest? No problem, i am not in hurry.

Our main objective is "survival" and the game doesn't allow us to accomplish that and sends us out into the uncertain future of only 6 month til death.

My short version of the story: Yorinobu fucked up our the heist, a guy that was introduced to us as friend dies, we die from a headshot, the stolen chip in our head reanimates us, same chip will kill us in a couple of weeks and adds a since years dead terrorist into our head, we are in hurry to find cure, we do crazy shit to get the cure, just to learn there, is no cure, we will die after 6 month. Credits...

What's the meaning of all of that? No matter how hard you try, you will die anyways? Great message!
Yes this is exactly how I feel. Where is the replayability in that?? The writing is a joke.

I would have been disappointed if the game ended with a completely happy ending. Johnny Silverhand replied V in Mikoshi "Here, for folks like us? Wrong city, wrong people" and he is right. In the world of cyberpunk, the bittersweet ending is often actually the best ending.

V died no matter what we do. 6 months idiocy defies common sense, logic and world lore, dramatically it feels like "Rocks falls, everyone dies" of crappy DM.
Even if the relic is able to change the DNA, there would be a cure. Why? Because genetic engineering is common in the world of cyberpunk.

Posergangs and other examples on how bioware is used are established.

Even if the relic is able to change the DNA, there would be a cure. Why? Because genetic engineering is common in the world of cyberpunk.

Posergangs and other examples on how bioware is used are established.
If only plot team has synchronized their info with world team).

Well. V has the chips blueprints.
The Aldecaldos have arasaka tech and Mr blue eyes has the according connections.
DNA modification is common, alt might be able to fix her mistake.

Problem is that the ending is not satisfactory. None of the endings are.

My main complaint is not only that the endings are insatisfactory in itself, they contradict the expectations the game sets up.

I'm on my 2nd playthrough, trying to do all the side missions and looking closely, and in all the dialogues, mission descriptions and even % descriptions the game is saying "you want to survive", "do what it takes", "think hard if you want to survive" etc. And that doesn't happen in the end.

To me it just feels like adding some fatalism rather than think harder how to wrap the story up. The whole universe is already bittersweet, there wouldn't be a happy ending. We lost Jackie, T-Bug, Evelyn, V's friends lost someone, our main companion is already dead and has a dead girlfriend, then we can also get some other people killed in the final mission to no avail -- I think that's just enough death.

My main complaint is not only that the endings are insatisfactory in itself, they contradict the expectations the game sets up.

I'm on my 2nd playthrough, trying to do all the side missions and looking closely, and in all the dialogues, mission descriptions and even % descriptions the game is saying "you want to survive", "do what it takes", "think hard if you want to survive" etc. And that doesn't happen in the end.

To me it just feels like adding some fatalism rather than think harder how to wrap the story up. The whole universe is already bittersweet, there wouldn't be a happy ending. We lost Jackie, T-Bug, Evelyn, V's friends lost someone, our main companion is already dead and has a dead girlfriend, then we can also get some other people killed in the final mission to no avail -- I think that's just enough death.
And then V will also die, slowly fading away for 6 months, tormenting his beloved and friends.

Don't forget Johnny.

I personally am giving up my hopes that they will do post credit content. Really. I think they wanted the game to end like this with all the cheesy and reused tropes, because it worked. The people swallowed it as artistic and deep.

We will see what content drops next but the whole schedule is pushed back because if the technical. State the game was delivered in.

And hey, I just realized how pointless Temperance is as an ending. It's literally "Hey Johnny, you can have my body, just like you would have it if I'd just stayed on that Misty's roof drinking wine rather than risking your and my friends' lives".

And I also found Temperance a bit cheesy...like Johnny giving up smoking? That's what redemption is? I mean, I didn't mind him being a narcissist from the beginning, if he's a "devil on the shoulder"

Top Bottom