Story structure of Witcher 3

+
Story structure of Witcher 3

How would your prefer the story of the next Witcher game to be structured?

Witcher 1 didnt offer as big game-changing choices as second one, but it was much longer game. I´d say even longer then both paths of W2 combined.

Second one has completely different acts 2 and 3, but game is just shorter than first Witcher, no way around that. And another problem is, that some people want to roleplay an ultimate character and dont even want to see other variables. But in this case, they would miss a lot. Thats not a criticism, mind you.

So which style would you want to see in next Witcher? 1? Or 2?

Or some combination of it? Like, let´s say 5 acts, where first two are like in W1, third act is different depending on choice and last two are like Loc Muinne, where you are at same place but with different people and quests?

i liked the massive difference between the paths in W2, the game did a great job of really showing you that your choices had an impact.

Babli said:
Or some combination of it? Like, let´s say 5 acts, where first two are like in W1, third act is different depending on choice and last two are like Loc Muinne, where you are at same place but with different people and quests?
That's sounds like a cool thing :D

But well, I wouldn't mind having only three acts again, but I would prefer them to be larger, with more main and secondary quests, and more variation.

sounds great... but make the choices really impact the gameplay... so it won't be the same for every playthrough... and please let us able to carry our save file from W2... thank you! CDPROJEKT is the BEST

Well honestly I like both and each game has a good story, but I'd prefer that W3 story be like W2, where the location etc. will be changed according to your decision.
It really feels like "What would have happened if I had taken a different decision than I actually did and was it really the right path I took?", just like CDP intended to and it was really great.

I hope they do it in Witcher 3 too or add even more big changes like in ACT 2

I like more your third alternative, Babli. :) Not necesarily that the last chapters should be in the same place, but perhaps be more linear, and according to your previous choices.

You should turn this into a Poll i think; that should be fun. :)

Always thought Wing Commander had it right (pre WCProphecy anyway) Branching based on choices and how well you fight. Not necessarily as many branches as those games had, but maybe a big choice or two that differes in effect based on what you accomplish or don't in a few big battles?
Only caveat would be vastly, vastly, prefer not ignoring previous game effects of choices for 1 "cannon" path (hate that in games, although there are a couple with gameplay that makes them worth playing)

dariusnin said:
Always thought Wing Commander had it right (pre WCProphecy anyway) Branching based on choices and how well you fight. Not necessarily as many branches as those games had, but maybe a big choice or two that differes in effect based on what you accomplish or don't in a few big battles?
Only caveat would be vastly, vastly, prefer not ignoring previous game effects of choices for 1 "cannon" path (hate that in games, although there are a couple with gameplay that makes them worth playing)

I think this is actually a good idea - incorporate combat so that how well you fight/handle dialogues/stealthily move influences the narrative.

I am playing Alpha Protocol now, and I was amazed that the game could register how I finished a level, and depending on my solution (full guns blazing vs. stealthy approach) it could give me different consequences - more intel, money, a different NPC contacting me offering help later on etc. Such moments are truly memorable experiences. Consider this piece from Deus Ex: Human Revolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPGAYkvzI&t=7m56s

Incorporating fighting into narrative seems like a very good idea for TW3. After all in the game where you play a monster slayer, how well you fight should in some way influence key events in the story.

JackintheGreen said:
I like more your third alternative, Babli. :) Not necesarily that the last chapters should be in the same place, but perhaps be more linear, and according to your previous choices.

You should turn this into a Poll i think; that should be fun. :)
Well, if they were more linear and in different locations, I think they would be more on the shorter side, since they would need to make more big locations. Also, I think that end of the story should be the same. Same in terms of location of course.

For example Geralt´s goal would be to reach the main city of Nilfgaard and that´s where all the paths should lead. But they would depend on things like which paths Geralt would take. Will he go from Loc Muinne to Mahakam or Dol Blathanna? Since both of these countries wont be under immediate threat of war. At least according to one of the new cinematics that I dont want to spoil for those who didnt finished EE yet :)

And I´d love to make a poll, but I can´t. No idea why :/ even emoticons arent showing up to me. Whatever browser I use. So it´s probably some forum problem.

And I agree with you guys,incorporating gameplay into story. I loved those moments in Deus Ex. Especially the original one.

i think they should bring back more witcher contracts as side quests with an involved story than just -go to location -kill creature-bring back head- collect reward , needs more vampires (preferably naked :D ) - lots of side quests to distract from main story line, allow potions during combat (its a game after all) longer main campaign but i prefer non linear narrative

Aver

Forum veteran
I think that 3rd option is kinda weird because Witcher 2 is already well balanced mix of length and branching. It's around 30h long game with branching story and Witcher 1 was around 45h long without branching story. How can you make it more balanced?

Aver said:
I think that 3rd option is kinda weird because Witcher 2 is already well balanced mix of length and branching. It's around 30h long game with branching story and Witcher 1 was around 45h long without branching story. How can you make it more balanced?
Depends on player. W2 was for me 35 hours on first playthrough. Witcher 1 around 70-80. And with ignoring side quests, second one can get really short.

Aver

Forum veteran
Babli said:
Depends on player. W2 was for me 35 hours on first playthrough. Witcher 1 around 70-80. And with ignoring side quests, second one can get really short.

I just want to say that with equal resources we won't get longer game than 30-35h if we want branching story. 3rd option is utopian option. It's very nice, but also it's impossible (unless they will have more resources).

Aver said:
I just want to say that with equal resources we won't get longer game than 30-35h if we want branching story. 3rd option is utopian option. It's very nice, but also it's impossible (unless they will have more resources).
Maybe yes, maybe not. It depends on how those acts and whole story would be designed.

Of course, by combination of the two its meant that it will not be as long as first game and not as branching as second. But still longer than second and less linear than first.

There is no way I'd want CDPR to take steps back and go with TW1 route. What they did was in today's day and age kind of revolutionary and no RPG I played does it.

If anything, TW3 should take that even further, by having 3 paths, or other paths within the 2 main paths, so 2 paths with 2 sub-paths each.

I don't care if it's shorter than TW1 (nevermind the fact that TW1 had a lot of useless waste of time), what I care about is quality.

KnightofPhoenix said:
There is no way I'd want CDPR to take steps back and go with TW1 route. What they did was in today's day and age kind of revolutionary and no RPG I played does it.

If anything, TW3 should take that even further, by having 3 paths, or other paths within the 2 main paths, so 2 paths with 2 sub-paths each.

As much fun as it sounds, I think that's not possible without drastically reducing playtime. There's this awesome console game - Way of the Samurai 2, without about 16 distinctive endings (I mean real endings - where you find yourself in very different situations mid-game that lead to very differnt game end). The problem is - a single playthrough is 3 hours long max, because there's no conceiveable way devs could do more with the resources they had - they could have only so much distinctive characters... adding more fleshed-out figure would consume vast devlopment time and money.

However, I am all for one or two huge consequences accompanied but many, many little consequences which could stem from the way player plays (e.g. rambo vs. stealth vs. diplomat), his performance in all those styles (as described above) his character progression (e.g. Geralt specializing in alchemy can devise a bomb that could put a wyvern to sleep without killing it and solve the quest in alternative way - other Geralts wouldn't have that option).

That way the player would have impression of interacting with living-breathing world, which recognizes everything he has done and reacts accordingly to the way he progresses through the quest. It would consume much less resources than a fork at every turn.

I don't care if it's shorter than TW1 (nevermind the fact that TW1 had a lot of useless waste of time), what I care about is quality.

Agreed... though too short (less than 10 hours) would be a big bummer.

Aver

Forum veteran
KnightofPhoenix said:

It would be too much. Not that I wouldn't like it, but it would need to much of resources. I prefer 2 polished paths than 3 rough ones.

Perhaps the natural solution is that it progress as CD PRojekt Red intends and projects it to.

1 - The main weapon in the arsenal of a great RPG is story; whether linear of branching, no matter how it is shot, chopped and told, eventually it all comes down to "all roads lead to this moment". But the idea of have as many roads in that process as possible is appealing rather than just 1 or even 2. Truly a gnarled thorn bush of twisting branch offs where even one small choice can skew things in an unexpected way.

2 - The idea of additional contract board quests and NPC side quests would indeed be welcome, especially since it is in keeping with the fact that he is a Witcher after all - a professional monster slayer - and even they need food and shelter now and then.

3 - Because the world of The Witcher has been established in such well done novels, a key detail for the evolution of a 3rd installment should be exploring even more of the realm or perhaps, taking a prequel angle - perhaps exploring the Establishment of the Witchers.

4 - Overall, CD Projekt Red has established a new high standard in RPG's, something that had been held too stagnant for too many years. Now I would say let them keep the reigns and continue driving this monster forward by 1) Keeping what works 2) Discarding that which is cumbersome or needless 3) evolving into new elements without destroying the foundation to which this franchise was built.

5) Personal elements I prefer are: a) Enjoy controlling only 1 protagonist (I cannot stand the trend of using AI to establish a Party based RPG, when very seldom does the AI truly work in a supporting and fluid way) :cool: Enjoy the real time combat, especially elements that allow for the real time sword block and special "riposte" or counter strikes with well "timed" icon warnings. c)Though the volume of items collected can be cumbersome, the element of building your own weapons and armor from "blue prints or formula" is a nice touch, especially when they actually look unique per item. d) The maturity factor - If i want a children's story, I can read a children's book or play Mario Adventures or Legend of Zelda.. Adults play intelligent, intriguing games and enjoy mature subject matter, so it is welcome in my RPG and there is no such thing as "too much of it". e) Depth of story - The more complex the story, the more I an intent to replay it over and over to learn all the "what ifs" I can.. even if it is a "All roads lead to point x" in the end, or if there are indeed truly multiple endings that are not completely dependent upon each other, it is excellent if it takes more than a few hours to complete....and finally f) Porting a saved character over to not only continue the adventure with skills / info learned, but that the narrative can actually change from the moment you start the game simply because of choices made from the previous installments.

That is my humble take on a potential progression of the coveted The Witcher 3 title..
(on a side note: the subtitle could be: "Requiem of Nations"... think on that one for a bit!)

All hail Foamy!
Sincerely,
Witcher of the House of Scorpion

Top Bottom