Strange flickering

+
Strange flickering

Hello!

I have a strange problem with the Witcher 3.

Iam playing this game on my LG TV (50 zoll) that is connected to a pc with this stuff:

AMD Phenom X6 1055T
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960
Random Gigabyte mainboard
12GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 Pro x64
Resolution: 1920x1080

As soon as i try to increase the graphic settings from low to high the game start to flicker like hell. It is very strange, if i dont move no flickering, if i move ground,grass and trees are flickering, but my character or the sky is not flickering. In towns it is less bad, really bad is it outside of the big city.

I tried to figure out what gpu setting from the game menu does this, but it seems that there is not a specific option that cause this, it seems like as soon as i put 3~4 options to high it starts flickering, does not matter what setting i use.

I updated all updates for my system, i checked drivers for my mainboard and iam thanks to this nvidia update tool on the newest driver for my 960. I also tried the steam repair function but this dont helped too.

Are there any other hints how i can fix this? I really would like to play this game with all settings on high (because the fps is still above 40fps all the time :), ok without these nvidia hairworks stuff ).

Thanks for your help!

Let's hope that's simple data corruption. Delete your user.config file and everything else in that directory (EXCEPT the gamesaves folder -- KEEP that), then verify / validate your game through Steam / GOG.

Nuts.

Can you post a quick vid of the issue. Can't tell what exactly "flickering" could mean, and there are certain types of flickering that warrant concern.

that is very strange, i made the videos with nvidia shadow play. If i watch the recored video on my tv pc the flickering is still visible. If i watch the videos on my gaming pc there is no flickering visible Oo

I really can't be sure what it is you're seeing. Do you play the game on the TV or the monitor? If you need to, record your TV screen with your phone. I just need some idea of what you mean by "flicker".

ok, i tried it with my SLR Camera and my Lumia 930 smartphone, but sadly it is not flickering intense enough to be visible in the video :-/

But after searching and searching i found a youtube video that has very smiliar flickering:

The flickering in the video is just like at me, but not in buildings, at me it is in the wildness. Mostly the grass and ground and much faster flickering at movement. I hope that helps :-/

I'm putting my chips down on this being a driver issue. I would suggest opening a ticket with CDPR Support. Send in a description stating "constant imagespace lighting flicker" in wilderness areas (in your case). Include the vid.

In the meantime, try disabling each of the following in turn, re-enabling each before disabling the next:

1.) Anisotropic Filtering
2.) Bloom
3.) Anti-Aliasing
4.) Sharpening
5.) (lower Shadow quality one step at a time...I don't think it's this.)

There's a white flicker at the end of that video, strange. And here I thought you ment the slight light movement caused by candles. :p I usually pinpoint these behaviors to SLI/Crossfire and/or driver issues, but you aren't running SLI? Are you running video and audio through HDMI? Try a different cable. But try doing a full clean reintallation of the Nvidia driver.

Hmm, you don't happen to have any lighting mods installed? In particular STLM in combination with SSAO tends to create the kind of vegetation flicker you describe. Also, as you said it mostly happens with your TV monitor: might it be that your TV/graphics driver made the odd decisision to run the game in 1080i instead of 1080p or lowered the frame rate to 30Hz?

Ok, i made acceptable progress! :)

I'm putting my chips down on this being a driver issue. I would suggest opening a ticket with CDPR Support. Send in a description stating "constant imagespace lighting flicker" in wilderness areas (in your case). Include the vid.

In the meantime, try disabling each of the following in turn, re-enabling each before disabling the next:

1.) Anisotropic Filtering
2.) Bloom
3.) Anti-Aliasing
4.) Sharpening
5.) (lower Shadow quality one step at a time...I don't think it's this.)

1.) Did nothing
2.) Did nothing
3.) Did nothing
4.) HELPED! The Flickering is still visible if i use a magnifiing glass, but it turns from annoying to i do not care, i can live with that. Thanks! Strange is, this only works as long as i have EVERYTHINK on High except scarpness. Thats maybe why i did not find this combo before, i tried to disable/enable stuff one by one and not with everythink else on High.
5.) Did nothing

It`s illuminated by candles, and candles flicker :D
Damit these evil candles! But what evil ninja's put them outside to huff me? :(

There's a white flicker at the end of that video, strange. And here I thought you ment the slight light movement caused by candles. :p I usually pinpoint these behaviors to SLI/Crossfire and/or driver issues, but you aren't running SLI? Are you running video and audio through HDMI? Try a different cable. But try doing a full clean reintallation of the Nvidia driver.

Iam not using SLI, i just use one GTX 960. Iam using HDMI, but i use the normal onboard soundcardoutput to use external speaker. Since sound is coming out of the speaker everythink should be fine or?

Hmm, you don't happen to have any lighting mods installed? In particular STLM in combination with SSAO tends to create the kind of vegetation flicker you describe. Also, as you said it mostly happens with your TV monitor: might it be that your TV/graphics driver made the odd decisision to run the game in 1080i instead of 1080p or lowered the frame rate to 30Hz?

No i dont use any graphic mods, just the console enabler and the item weight mod (I hate carrylimits :( ).

The Monitor/TV iam using is a LG 50PZ250, if iam not wrong he can go up to 600hz. How can i check if he is on 30Hz and is using 1080i instead of 1080p? The resolution windows and witcher is telling me is 1920x1080.

I tried btw something else! I plugged my pc monitor to my pc tv to check if i have the same issues, and on that screen they are gone. So it must have something to do with the monitor :-/

4.) HELPED! The Flickering is still visible if i use a magnifiing glass, but it turns from annoying to i do not care, i can live with that.

Hoorays! But that still shouldn't be happening. It does seem as if you're dropping frames for just the post process passes. Try disabling all post processing -- everything -- and see if it totally vanishes. Then turn everything back on, set your settings as high as you had them originally, and try the steps below.

The Monitor/TV iam using is a LG 50PZ250, if iam not wrong he can go up to 600hz. How can i check if he is on 30Hz and is using 1080i instead of 1080p? The resolution windows and witcher is telling me is 1920x1080...

I tried btw something else! I plugged my pc monitor to my pc tv to check if i have the same issues, and on that screen they are gone. So it must have something to do with the monitor /

This is probably where the problem lies. Go into your Nvidia Control Panel. In the left menu, select Adjust dektop size and position Be sure your monitor is selected for "1." on the right side.

For "2.", select No scaling. Then change Perform scaling on: to GPU. Tick the box for Override the scaling mode set by games and programs.

Under "Preview", set the resolution to 1920x1080, and the Refresh Rate to 60Hz. (Out of curiosity, tell me what it says under "Native resolution:" on the bottom.)

Be sure you have Vsync ON and Frame Limit OFF in the game settings. This might create some stutter, but I'm more interested in seeing if your monitor is just being really funky with its timing.

Top Bottom